polk salad annie question madison sq garden

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Re: polk salad annie question madison sq garden

Post by rickeap »

I've always heard it at 'ok Bob' but it is nice to know the story behind it.
Thanks
Rick

EagleUSA
Registered for: 21 years

Post by EagleUSA »

I listened to it repeatedly. Then, I slowed it down and broke it down syllable by syllable. Although it seems the words run together, Elvis is clearly heard saying "That's one small step for a man."

Oh wait...

Eagle

ColinB
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ColinB »

EagleUSA wrote:I listened to it repeatedly.
Then, I slowed it down and broke it down syllable by syllable.
Although it seems the words run together, Elvis is clearly heard saying "That's one small step for a man."
"...... one giant leap for Charlie !"

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

KHoots wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:It's my favourite live album ever. I know every second of it. It's "Cape off". As anyone actually listened to it during the course of this thread? It's as plain as the nose on Streisands face! There are other live versions where he requests the cape off before Polk Salad too. In no way on God's earth is he saying "Ok Bob". No way.
"Cape off"?? Since when did Elvis speak like a robot? Oh, yeah, the same way that he says "band play" before starting each song, and "scarf on" to Charlie when he wanted to work the crowd.

Think about it logically for a second and maybe you'll come to a reasonable conclusion. On second thought, we've tried that before with similar questionable statements, only to find others who would "steak" their lives on what they know to be correct.
Elvis did say "go to work", "play it James" and even to the Sweets..."Chickabum"... And they all were going to do it..Don't you think? PS. Next thing will be Elvis' command via LOOK in his eyes! :smt005

Erhan
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by Erhan »

John from Woodley wrote:"O.K. Bob" it is.
That intonation sounds like order, not "Ok Bob"

And Finally 12 point goes to.......... "CAPE OFF" !

Erhan

YOUTUBE
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

Thank you! I won't be swayed. CAPE OFF it is. Poor Bob Heis wanted it to be "Ok Bob" but I'm sure even HE knew it wasn't.

Elvisenna

Post by Elvisenna »

You're guys all wrong. Elvis wanted to thank George Harrison, who went to the show. But, on the spur of the moment, he made a mistake with the Beatle name and said: "Ok, John". Nothing more, nothing less.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Elvisenna wrote:You're guys all wrong. Elvis wanted to thank George Harrison, who went to the show. But, on the spur of the moment, he made a mistake with the Beatle name and said: "Ok, John". Nothing more, nothing less.
Rubbish.

The Heis explanation is the most likely.

Daryl
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by Daryl »

Hello,

Swingin' Little Guitar Man wrote:
It's my favourite live album ever. I know every second of it. It's "Cape off". As anyone actually listened to it during the course of this thread? It's as plain as the nose on Streisands face! There are other live versions where he requests the cape off before Polk Salad too. In no way on God's earth is he saying "Ok Bob". No way.
SLGM got it right. It's "cape off." As for why Elvis worded it in this manner, there is a very simple answer. The music had already begun for "Polk Salad Annie". Elvis wasn't going to take the time on stage to go into great detail to instruct Charlie Hodge to remove the cape. Given that it was going to take Charlie a few seconds to remove the cape, Elvis bought Charlie a few more seconds by keeping his instructions short and directly to the point to remove the cape. Had Elvis not done this, Charlie would have possibly still been removing the cape as Elvis began singing, which is what Elvis wanted to avoid. It simply comes across as sloppy presentation on stage if Charlie is still removing the cape while Elvis is beginning to sing the song. Can you imagine if Elvis had elaborated his instructions to Charlie Hodge:

"Charlie, you hog-headed S.O.B. general flunkie, could you please remove my cape from my one-piece jumpsuit so I can shake my ass off while I sing "Polk Salad Annie" in front of this adoring sold-out audience here at Madison Square Garden."

A bit wordy don't you think. :D . Despite being the butt of several of Elvis' jokes, Charlie was a fairly intelligent person with thick skin. I'm confident he would have understood what Elvis wanted when Elvis turned to him on stage and said "cape off."

For the record, Bob Heis is full of himself if he really believes that Elvis' was directing the comment towards him.. I'm reminded of Elvis' words regarding another photographer, Ed Bonja in March 1974:

"Who's Ed Bonja?"

Maybe RCA edited the Garden show and Elvis said "Who's Bob Heis?" Do you really expect people to believe that Elvis knew who Bob Heis even was? :roll: Or is Bob Heis simply stroking his own ego. I think it's the latter.

Daryl

3DS Friend Code 0387-8874-3735

Coming Soon --> ELVIS SESSIONS IV

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Daryl wrote:It's "cape off." As for why Elvis worded it in this manner, there is a very simple answer. The music had already begun for "Polk Salad Annie". Elvis wasn't going to take the time on stage to go into great detail to instruct Charlie Hodge to remove the cape. Given that it was going to take Charlie a few seconds to remove the cape, Elvis bought Charlie a few more seconds by keeping his instructions short and directly to the point to remove the cape. Had Elvis not done this, Charlie would have possibly still been removing the cape as Elvis began singing, which is what Elvis wanted to avoid. It simply comes across as sloppy presentation on stage if Charlie is still removing the cape while Elvis is beginning to sing the song.
I am very thankful we don't have posters who overthink these things.

Rob

Post by Rob »

I've edited while eating a crow sandwich.
Last edited by Rob on Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erhan

Post by Erhan »

Polk Salad Annie ReMastered Sound (madison sq garden)

Erhan

YOUTUBE

Rob

Post by Rob »

If he does say "cape off" (and it sounds like it there) there is a word or two in front of it that you can barely catch. "Take the cape off" possibly.

This time, I may reconsider. May being the key word here.

This could possibly prove two things:
1. I was wrong (damn that hurts) and I owe Swingin an apology.
2. As I mentioned in another thread, this show definitely needs an upgrade.

Erhan

Post by Erhan »

Rob wrote:If he does say "cape off" (and it sounds like it there) there is a word or two in front of it that you can barely catch. "Take the cape off" possibly.

This time, I may reconsider. May being the key word here.

This could possibly prove two things:
1. I was wrong (damn that hurts) and I owe Swingin an apology.
2. As I mentioned in another thread, this show definitely needs an upgrade.
yes you can blame the bad recordings I also claimed They pitched up this MSG recording.
Sound of this video remastered at home from better audio source Elvis voice more clear and sound is not tin IMHO...

Erhan

YOUTUBE

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Erhan wrote:Polk Salad Annie ReMastered Sound (madison sq garden)
So, he sang it with the cape ON then ?

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Erhan

Post by Erhan »

ColinB wrote:
So, he sang it with the cape ON then ?
:wink: Sometimes don't belive what you see! so you better belive what you hear this time! :wink:

Erhan

YOUTUBE

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by Axeman »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:The dialogue just before Polk Salad Annie is crystal clear.

"CAPE OFF"

He's quickly requesting that Charlie romove the cape as he always did in 72 just prior to Polk Salad Annie (see ELVIS ON TOUR for an example)

One would think Charlie would know what song was next, and when to take the cape off without Elvis telling him...

Axeman

Post by Axeman »

That footage is from June 9, not the eve show on the 10th (the MSG album)!

Axe

Axeman

Post by Axeman »

Daryl wrote:Hello,

Swingin' Little Guitar Man wrote:
It's my favourite live album ever. I know every second of it. It's "Cape off". As anyone actually listened to it during the course of this thread? It's as plain as the nose on Streisands face! There are other live versions where he requests the cape off before Polk Salad too. In no way on God's earth is he saying "Ok Bob". No way.
SLGM got it right. It's "cape off." As for why Elvis worded it in this manner, there is a very simple answer. The music had already begun for "Polk Salad Annie". Elvis wasn't going to take the time on stage to go into great detail to instruct Charlie Hodge to remove the cape. Given that it was going to take Charlie a few seconds to remove the cape, Elvis bought Charlie a few more seconds by keeping his instructions short and directly to the point to remove the cape. Had Elvis not done this, Charlie would have possibly still been removing the cape as Elvis began singing, which is what Elvis wanted to avoid.
Elvis was able to wait a little longer before singing if that was the case...lengthen the intro by two bars or whatever.

Axe

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

The likelihood is that Elvis said "cape off" rather than "OK Bob."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvisallc
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by elvisallc »

I have this cd and I just popped it in to hear what the argument was all about over this, and after listening to that 3 second tibit about 10 times, Elvis clearly says 'Okay Bob'. Take out the base completely and you can hear the 'O' at the very beginning. I don't know how some are hearing "cape off".

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I always figured it was "okay, Bob" but the alternative suggestion is intriguing.

(The things we worry our heads about here... :lol: )

I always love the rocking bass solo on the LP soundtrack version! When I first heard it some just over five years after its release, I was struck by what a nasty and rocking song it was, thanks in part to that solo!

By the way, if you missed the two threads on it, there were some great MSG photographs from photographer George Kalinsky that have just been found...!

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36368&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36381&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

and the original article from the NY Daily News!:

Lost Elvis Presley pictures turn up
http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/04/09/2008-04-09_lost_elvis_presley_pictures_turn_up.html

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality