More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MissClawdy
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

The way he wanted us to listen...

Post by MissClawdy »

Elvis was a perfectionist
But did we ever listened to his version of a song?

Take after take, for hours and days Elvis was able to continue the expedition for the perfect sound of a song. It wasn't over till it was over as far as he was concerned. "Sound okay" wasn't his level on satisfaction. Studio time was expensive, but he never saved a Cent on that, on musicians he wanted and on time to get it right his way. Stories say, Elvis loved to be part of a choir, diving into the sea of many georgeous voices and be part of that ocean. He was perfectly conftable not to be the top voice in an arrangement, but to take part in a "joint venture" of celebrating music in a mannor, that could be perscibed as similar to a church service. For us as fans it is one of the reasons to still enjoy Elvis music after decades, because so many of us seem to feel Elvis soul and lasting presence in his heritage.

But, after all these years, isn't it a big question, if we all really listened to what Elvis had in mind, what he constantly worked on an continued to work on hard to create his idea of perfection? How often did we hear, that Elvis acetats where not used in the end due to the taste and verdict by Parker and his staff, that wanted ELVIS VOICE first and then a long time nothing until the rest of them was allowed to be part of Elvis songs. Are the takes, some of us can't get enough of, not the stuff, Elvis left behind, because they where kind of the unworthy he didn't want?

Don't get me wrong. I love everything I can listen to, even if Elvis would read me the first issue of the Tupelo telephone directory. This is just something to think about and finding out about your thoughts on this subject.

Thank you all! (...and it's nice to back here after a while... :wink: )

Narek
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Re: The way he wanted us to listen...

Post by Narek »

I think that was the case during the 60's movie stuff when Colonel wanted to bring the voice to the front..and maybe the Suspicious minds case too. I feel Elvis very much himself made decisions on how the songs were to sound

And I do agree with Scotty Moore and you that releasing outtakes is not quite correct.
I only enjoy outtakes that are significantly different from the master, like is the case with Ain't that Loving you..etc and maybe sometimes enjoy the process of work on a song like the outtakes of Kentucky rain. But when it's the same song with same arrangement with only difference being that someone made a mistake I really find that boring

He's the King. No matter what you think.

familyjules
Registered for: 19 years

Post by familyjules »

Narek wrote:I only enjoy outtakes that are significantly different from the master, like is the case with Ain't that Loving you..etc and maybe sometimes enjoy the process of work on a song like the outtakes of Kentucky rain. But when it's the same song with same arrangement with only difference being that someone made a mistake I really find that boring
Yeah, I agree with that, Narek.

Jules

KiwiAlan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by KiwiAlan »

One More Day.

I bet Sid Tepper and Roy C Bennett were grumpy that it was never released on the soundtrack release.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Hmmmm .....

If you're a perfectionist, then you're a perfectionist -- end of story. It doesn't matter if you don't always seek perfection; the point is that that you inherently desire it and seek it according to your whims. On this basis, I think Elvis *was* a perfectionist, but his whims were such that they were always in rapid motion and subject to surprising changes, which sometimes, if not often, mired his outward drive for perfection, even if the inner drive remained the same. Clear as mud? Good.

This is very important (and beautifully said):
MissClawdy wrote:Stories say, Elvis loved to be part of a choir, diving into the sea of many georgeous voices and be part of that ocean. He was perfectly conftable not to be the top voice in an arrangement, but to take part in a "joint venture" of celebrating music in a mannor, that could be perscibed as similar to a church service.
Now ..... this is the one critical component of Elvis lacking at SUN -- it's only once he moved to RCA that his professional releases began exhibiting this aspect (an aspect that showed up informally at SUN, of course -- i.e. "Million Dollar Quartet"). I raise this point because it shows that the real Elvis still had fully to show his feathers. And, ironically ..... his feathers were constantly pruned in life, and are still being pruned in death.

Good examples of multi-part vocals:

"When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again" -- Sounds like something he would have recorded at SUN, but with backing singers.

"I Will Be Home Again" -- Beautiful harmony between EP and Charlie Hodge.

"Working On The Building" -- Listen to how Elvis dips in and out of singing up front (another good gospel example is "So High").

"Surrender", "There's Always Me" -- Two great examples of soprano use to accentuate the climaxes.

"Suspicious Minds" -- The early live versions are something else. Everything seems richer on stage, including The Sweets.

"Amazing Grace" -- Elvis' voice is mixed low on this one with a surprising church-like communal effect.

And some more obscure examples:

"Dark Moon" -- Great home recording with brilliant harmonies.

"You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" -- Check out the TTWII bootleg discs. You get the original mixes. This is a serious example of EPE meddling with their "artist's" (note: more of "commodity" to EPE) style and wishes. The Sweets harmonising with EP on the chorus add a whole other dimension to this song, but you won't hear it on the official versions today. Same goes for the 21st century "Aloha" releases. The gospel side of Elvis is routinely overlooked and downplayed, for a number of complex reasons.

"It's Over", "What Now My Love" -- These "Aloha" performances are great, yet they arguably had more power originally, when Elvis and his backing singers could both be experienced going at things full whack. Now Elvis is crystal clear (good), but his backing singers can hardly be heard (bad). Incidentally, it's one thing for vocalising between multiple people to work on record, and it's another on stage. Yet Elvis was tremendously successful in getting good results in both settings. Says something for his ear for music and love of the human voice, I think.

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

Cryogenic wrote:"It's Over", "What Now My Love" -- These "Aloha" performances are great, yet they arguably had more power originally, when Elvis and his backing singers could both be experienced going at things full whack. Now Elvis is crystal clear (good), but his backing singers can hardly be heard (bad). Incidentally, it's one thing for vocalising between multiple people to work on record, and it's another on stage.
This is one thing that I dislike about the re-issued Aloha DVD's (Deluxe Ed.). The audio has been substantially altered placing EP way out in front, while muffling all of the back-up singers (especially Kathy at critical moments - as when EP is acknowledging her vocal back-up with an approving nod & smile - she can barely be heard on the re-issues and the whole visual moment / the meaning behind it is lost as a result). Ironically, I prefer the VHS audio over the Deluxe, because of this.

EP would not take kindly to this kind of altering of his music and would probably turn over in his grave as a result (he felt very strongly about this kind of stuff).

Just another small example as to how EPE can sometimes be clueless.

All my best,
N8
... just a fan ....

Kylan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Kylan »

N880EP wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:"It's Over", "What Now My Love" -- These "Aloha" performances are great, yet they arguably had more power originally, when Elvis and his backing singers could both be experienced going at things full whack. Now Elvis is crystal clear (good), but his backing singers can hardly be heard (bad). Incidentally, it's one thing for vocalising between multiple people to work on record, and it's another on stage.
This is one thing that I dislike about the re-issued Aloha DVD's (Deluxe Ed.). The audio has been substantially altered placing EP way out in front, while muffling all of the back-up singers (especially Kathy at critical moments - as when EP is acknowledging her vocal back-up with an approving nod & smile - she can barely be heard on the re-issues and the whole visual moment / the meaning behind it is lost as a result). Ironically, I prefer the VHS audio over the Deluxe, because of this.

EP would not take kindly to this kind of altering of his music and would probably turn over in his grave as a result (he felt very strongly about this kind of stuff).

Just another small example as to how EPE can sometimes be clueless.

All my best,
N8
... just a fan ....
can you give a specific example of this perhaps on the disc?

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

Kylan wrote:can you give a specific example of this perhaps on the disc?
Sure.

See bolded in next quote & below.
Cryogenic wrote:"It's Over", "What Now My Love" -- These "Aloha" performances .....
Specifically, ..... Main Event, toward the end of the song at the verse:

"No one would care, ..... No one would cry ......"

EP gives a subtle smile and shake of the head in admiration of Kathy's vocals.

Careless re-mastering has stolen this magical moment from the original performance.

The vocals were there, originally, ......... but have now been removed.

--------------------

I hope this is helpful.

All my best,
N8
... just a fan ....