Sam Phillips - does he deserve a Stamp?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Sam Phillips - does he deserve a Stamp?

Post by Little Darlin »

If you think yes - I do for his work with Elvis alone.

http://www.pr-inside.com/sam-phillips-the-god-father-of-r498754.htm

Thousands of music lovers around the world continue to weigh in their support for the ultimate accolade for a man who was the driving force behind the Rock’n’Roll
movement of the 1950s. Sam Phillips discovered the talents, of international stars such as Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, B.B. King, Ike Turner and Roy Orbison, to name a few. Phillips, who was a poor sharecropper’s son, was born in Florence, AL. He moved to Memphis, TN and opened a small recording studio which opened the doors for both black and white, and also women. Elvis Presley biographer, Peter Guralnick said, “Sam Phillips could be said to be the man who invented Rock and Roll. He was a man of vision and principal- both social and aesthetic- who by dint of personality sought to overcome the ingrained prejudice of his time and place. His life and work, the music that he recorded stand, as a tribute to the individuality and freedom, a rebuke to conformity and convention. And that difference changed the world."

A Sun Records fan from Ontario, Canada said: “If there could be only one definitive book about the origins of Rock’n’Roll, then Sam Phillips would be the author.” An Elvis fan from Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio said: “Sam sure knew talent when he saw it. Nobody else had this insight on to what people could become. He was so kind to regular people and he had this way to make you feel like you mattered.”

According to Liz Scott, Coordinator of the official Sam Phillips U.S. Commemorative Postage Stamp Campaign, she is determined to push this campaign forward. Sam broke racial and social barriers and made his mark in the Civil Rights Movement in his own right - music had no color to him. His music, 50 years later, continues to stand the test of time. “Sam Phillips deserves this high honor from our United States Postal Service,” said Scott, “because he brought people together, when this country was still recovering from the prejudices and insurmountable differences that wounded us from the Civil War of the 1860s.” Alabama Governor Bob Riley said, "This is a wonderful opportunity to honor the legacy of Alabama native Sam Phillips and his profound influence on the world of music. Sam Phillips' legacy and musical contributions will undoubtedly continue to inspire performers and music lovers for generations to come."

The motivation behind Ms. Scott’s drive to make this stamp happen for Sam is because she has an enormous passion and respect for Phillips and his family. “He and I were born in the same Alabama town and he never forgot his hometown roots,” said Scott. Florence Mayor Bobby Irons said, "Sam Phillips was our native son who gave his life to creating and producing wonderful music. We are very proud of his talents and his great accomplishments which have influenced and inspired millions of people around the world."

Ms. Scott is a full-time owner of her own house-cleaning business. She is also founder of the Sam Phillips Music Celebration and President of the Alabama Fans TCB for Elvis Fan Club.

If you would like more information about the Sam Phillips U.S. Postage Stamp Campaign, or to schedule an interview with Liz Scott, please call her at 256-766-2913 or email Liz at samphillipsstampusa@live.comVisit her MySpace website at http://www.myspace.com/samphillipsstampusa

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Re: Sam Phillips - does he deserve a Stamp?

Post by elvisjock »

When my radio show was in its infancy, we decided to create a promotion designed around honoring Elvis with a stamp. Yes, I know, I wasn't the only one doing this, and it wasn't an original idea, but I took it and ran with it in my neck of the woods. (I used to get nasty letters from Pat Geiger, may she rest in peace, offended that I wasn't giving her "proper credit.")

We organized a petition drive, and ultimately sent a boxful of signatures to Washington. I appeared on national TV and radio, defending Elvis and his "lifestyle" against opponents from various drug-abuse groups. I even chased down the US Postmaster General. I knew he was giving a speech in Manchester, NH, so I drove up there with a tape recorder and got him on record giving a typical non-answer.

To this day, when I go to the post office and see the latest commemorative stamps (often memorializing people I've never heard of) I wonder if anyone asked what sort of skeletons were in their closets, or medicine cabinets, as was the case with Elvis. No subject of a stamp withstood more scrutiny, before or since.

Bring on the Sam stamp!

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

rocknroller
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by rocknroller »

yes

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

Old Shep
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by Old Shep »

Of course! He deserve´s it!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Happy easter! :smt117 : smt190

O.S.

KiwiAlan
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by KiwiAlan »

NO NO NO!

Having many people on stamps just devalues the whole idea and it just becomes a money making meaningless scrap of paper.

If Sam qualified, then so would about another hundreds of producers would folow regardless of talent.

In the same way 75% of those in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame don't deserve to be threr!

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Yes -- he is truly America's "Uncle Sam."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

I don't think so. First off, Elvis came to Sun. Sam didn't find Elvis, ELvis found Sam. And even then, it would seem that Marion had to prod Sam into calling Elvis. Maybe Marion should get the stamp.

And Sam erased a bunch of priceless tapes.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

ekenee wrote:I don't think so. First off, Elvis came to Sun. Sam didn't find Elvis, ELvis found Sam. And even then, it would seem that Marion had to prod Sam into calling Elvis.
Maybe Marion should get the stamp.

Sam deserves a stamp.

Marion does, too !

Why not a pic of them together ?

Last edited by ColinB on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

When Elvis started playing 'That's All Right' for the first time, it was Sam who realised how special Elvis was, even before Elvis realised it.

So history tells us.

Its also not just cause of Sam's connection with Elvis,Jerry,Carl,Johnny and a lot of others but the artists BEFORE Elvis came along who hardly get a mention.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Bodie wrote:When Elvis started playing 'That's All Right' for the first time, it was Sam who realised how special Elvis was, even before Elvis realised it.

So history tells us.

Its also not just cause of Sam's connection with Elvis,Jerry,Carl,Johnny and a lot of others but the artists BEFORE Elvis came along who hardly get a mention.
But it would seem that Marion realized how special Elvis was long before "That's all right", but then she wasn't the boss, was she. The boss always gets credit it would seem.

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

He definitely deserves a stamp for many reasons. One is his decision to preserve blues heritage by giving a lot of artists like Howling Wolf a chance to record and have their songs preserved for posterity. He deserves it for mid-wifing the birth of rock n' roll. He also deserves it for the opportunity he gave to many up and coming performers who laid down the foundation for the pop music of the next 50 odd years including Elvis, Wolf, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee, Johnny Cash, BB King, and Little Junior Parker. Phillips deserves the stamp for providing these artists, barely any of whom fit into industry norms when Phillips first recorded them, for providing them a forum. They did not have it before.

Look at Phillips role in Elvis' career. You have to remember this is a guy with no band. no act, no professional experience at all. Even his non-professional experience was extremely limited. Who else would have given this guy a chance? This is not Ray Charles who had a strong night club following as a Nat King Cole impersonator. This is literally a kid off the street. It's just amazing Phillips showed the foresight and patience he did.

Great blues impresario, an important founder of the rock n' roll movement, great talent mentor, racial pioneer and great artist. (He was producer on most of Sun's best tracks and that slap back echo is his calling card and invention.) In no way would honoring Phillips devalue a stamp. Placing some other artists on might but not him. That being said the ten year rule is always sound (if it still exists) and should be honored.

drjohncarpenter

ekenee wrote:I don't think so. First off, Elvis came to Sun. Sam didn't find Elvis, ELvis found Sam. And even then, it would seem that Marion had to prod Sam into calling Elvis. Maybe Marion should get the stamp.

Good one! You know a lot more about the SUN era than I ever imagined.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

On May 6th 2008, a Book about Sam will be release called the Sun King ''The life and times of Sam Phillips, the man behind Sun Records''

More details here http://www.elvisnews.com/Presentation/Functional/Page/news.aspx?item=10475&command=show

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:I don't think so. First off, Elvis came to Sun. Sam didn't find Elvis, ELvis found Sam. And even then, it would seem that Marion had to prod Sam into calling Elvis. Maybe Marion should get the stamp.

Good one! You know a lot more about the SUN era than I ever imagined.
You say my powers of deduction are limited, but I do detect some sarcasm here. Correct? Either way, it doesn't to matter to me if they give Sam a stamp. They have put alot of lesser people on stamps anyway. I bet Orion gets a stamp before Sam does.
Priscilla may get a stamp if she wins the dance competition.
Whatever that gets put on a stamp means little to me.

Scott

Post by Scott »

ekenee wrote:I don't think so. First off, Elvis came to Sun. Sam didn't find Elvis, ELvis found Sam. And even then, it would seem that Marion had to prod Sam into calling Elvis. Maybe Marion should get the stamp. And Sam erased a bunch of priceless tapes.
Elvis came to Sun ... so what! Was Sam expected to go out trolling for new talent?

Sam was the one who put out Elvis' new music for the entire world to hear ... he made history.

And a stamp would not be just for his efforts with Elvis. There were dozens of others involved.

For the SUN years, and his other contributions, he certainly deserves a stamp ... and a statue in Memphis while we're at it!

drjohncarpenter

Scott wrote:.. and a statue in Memphis while we're at it!
Maybe they can get a nice statue of Sam at the age of 13, in his britches, put it up at the foot of Beale Street.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Scott

Post by Scott »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scott wrote:.. and a statue in Memphis while we're at it!
Maybe they can get a nice statue of Sam at the age of 13, in his britches, put it up at the foot of Beale Street.
I'm surprised Maurice P C-o-l-g-a-n hasn't made attempts to get this happening ... ! :?

drjohncarpenter

Scott wrote:I'm surprised Maurice P C-o-l-g-a-n hasn't made attempts to get this happening ... ! :?
Who? Someone else has copied my brilliant idea?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

Not a bad idea, Carolyn. I wouldn't be opposed to having simply the SUN logo on a stamp. That would be all-encompassing, even if it doesn't give individual accolades. But it would make for one cool-looking stamp that I would be proud to lick!

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Scott wrote:
ekenee wrote:I don't think so. First off, Elvis came to Sun. Sam didn't find Elvis, ELvis found Sam. And even then, it would seem that Marion had to prod Sam into calling Elvis. Maybe Marion should get the stamp. And Sam erased a bunch of priceless tapes.
Elvis came to Sun ... so what! Was Sam expected to go out trolling for new talent?

Sam was the one who put out Elvis' new music for the entire world to hear ... he made history.

And a stamp would not be just for his efforts with Elvis. There were dozens of others involved.

For the SUN years, and his other contributions, he certainly deserves a stamp ... and a statue in Memphis while we're at it!
What do you mean so what? You think its unheard of for record executives to "troll" for talent? There have been stories of people actually getting discovered, while not actually auditioning. It does happen. Elvis made the effort 3 times to go into the Memphis recording service to get the attention of Sam. Yes, Sam gave him the chance.
But Marion did have some influence. According her, she was the one that actually recorded the first acetate songs to tape, which they normally didn't do, so she could have Sam hear what ELvis sounded like.
So, you think he deserves a stamp. OK. give him a stamp.
Give him a plaque.
Name a street after him.
Name your kid after him.
What ever you wanna do, do it.
It doesn't really change anything.
I think this calls for a poll, otherwise nothing will get settled.
A good old fashioned poll will fix everything.
I'm too tired. Someone please start a poll.

drjohncarpenter

ekenee wrote:Elvis made the effort 3 times to go into the Memphis recording service to get the attention of Sam.
How do you know it was three times?

And how do you know Sam did not notice him after the initial visit?

And guess what? Sam has weighed in on this subject, check it out.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:Elvis made the effort 3 times to go into the Memphis recording service to get the attention of Sam.
How do you know it was three times?

And how do you know Sam did not notice him after the initial visit?

And guess what? Sam has weighed in on this subject, check it out.
You misunderstand me. Believe me, I have read everything there is on the Sun era. Everything I can find. Remember all those books I read that are riddled with errors. Articles in mags. Documentary video.
Oh, I definetely believe Sam noticed him. But there is some disagreement on who discovered Elvis, Marion or Sam. Again, could be ego here. Don't know.
I have heard what Sam has said on the subject.
But Sam was a difficult guy to pin down. He talked in riddles and sometimes double talk, without answering the questions.
He was a more than a little evasive and darted around the issues.
Not what you would call an upfront kind of guy. It seems he always knew alot more than he was willing to say. Very complex and hard to read.

Based on the circumstantial evidence, Elvis probably made 3 personal discs. I thought Sean O'neil or someone found a reciept for a third acetate that was dated around June 1954.

And even if Elvis didn't make a third acetate, I find it near impossible that Elvis didn't just pop in from time to time to see if anything was going to happen for him in the business. If he wanted to get into the business it would be smart to not be such a stranger so they would not forget him . After all he lived only about ....what...3-5 blocks away from the studio.

nigel

Post by nigel »

Little Darlin

Thanks for this thread!

It's a no brainer...Sam P. unreservedly deserves a stamp as the Godfather of rock 'n' roll!!!

If there hadn't been Sun Studio...would there have been an Elvis (icon)?

If there hadn't been Sun Studio, would rock 'n' roll have flourished as an art form?

Without Sun Studio, how would popular music have evolved???

Nigel
EIN