Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Elvis Australia
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Elvis Duets Interview With George Klein

Post by Elvis Australia »

Scott Jenkins interviewed George Klein this week about the Elvis Duets tape George has possession of with recordings of Help Me with Larry Gatlin, Guitar Man with Jerry Reed and Blue Suede Shoes with Carl Perkins.

George reveals if the Elvis recording of Blue Suede Shoes used is a live or studio recording and tells us that this was a totally different project, it was to be called Elvis and Friends.

You can read our interview now on www.elvis.com.au.

David Troedson

Elvis Australia

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Elvis Duets Interview With George Klein

Post by drjohncarpenter »

The version of "Blue Suede Shoes" Felton Jarvis reworked with Carl on guitar in February 1980 used a live 1969 multi-track, to no one's delight. Jarvis also cut a Perkins vocal to this track. I wonder what George has?

Regardless of what Klein is saying, these are very likely all part of Fel-Tone's Guitar Man project. Perhaps the idea was to follow Guitar Man with a duets sequel, if the first LP was a success. Sadly, Jarvis died before the initial release.

One suspects ol' George is trying to drum up publicity for his newest book, or simply put a little cash in the bank.

The Geeker is in your speaker.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Scott

Post by Scott »

drjohncarpenter wrote:The version of "Blue Suede Shoes" Felton Jarvis reworked with Carl on guitar in 1980 used a live 1969 multi-track, to no one's delight.
I was playing this in the car only the other night, as I hadn't heard it since it was out. I almost drove into oncoming traffic ... intentionally!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The question of live vs studio actually is still open as the question is put to him in a way that is unclear:

"The version of Blue Suede Shoes - is it live or a studio cut?" is not the same question as "Elvis' vocal on Blue Suede Shoes - is it sourced from a live recording or studio recording".

George's answer of "studio" to the question answers no more than the fact these songs were produced in a studio.

In any event since these tracks were gifted to him - perhaps he should gift them to FTD, I cannot see what use they are though. So Carl Perkins dubbed his voice over a re-worked Elvis Presley recording of Blue Suede Shoes? Doesn't hold any special interest to me thats for sure.

Surely if all he has is a mono copy of a mix down then the multi-tracks are in RCAs hands?

Scott

Post by Scott »

Matthew wrote:The question of live vs studio actually is still open as the question is put to him in a way that is unclear:

"The version of Blue Suede Shoes - is it live or a studio cut?" is not the same question as "Elvis' vocal on Blue Suede Shoes - is it sourced from a live recording or studio recording".
You must be kidding.

The actual question was, "The version of Blue Suede Shoes - is it a live version or the studio cut?"

Unless - in the highly unlikely scenario - they've used the G.I.Blues remake, there is an obvious distinction in the question as to whether or not it's a live or the studio cut.

Obviously the songs were produced in a studio!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Scott wrote:You must be kidding.

The actual question was, "The version of Blue Suede Shoes - is it a live version or the studio cut?"
No, the actual question which I posted and is clear to see on the website was:

"The version of Blue Suede Shoes - is it live or a studio cut?"

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Someone on Elvis Australia is playing silly buggers.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

And alas it has changed again. I now have a screen capture of the line after it was edited to strangely match Scott's text but without the red highlight on the word the prior to the word studio and a second screen capture with its current apprearence with the word in red.

Perhaps the person doing the editing would care to explain? Surely changing the phrasing of a question AFTER it has been asked and answered is manipulation..

Just so all reading this thread are clear - the original question that appeared on the website was:

Scott

Post by Scott »

Matthew wrote:No, the actual question which I posted and is clear to see on the website was:

Look again, dude (Elvis Australia's emphasis, not mine). The question never said "a studio cut" on the website, it said "the".

And what do you mean the question you posted?!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Scott wrote:
Matthew wrote:No, the actual question which I posted and is clear to see on the website was:

Look again, dude (Elvis Australia's emphasis, not mine). The question never said "a studio cut" on the website, it said "the".

And what do you mean the question you posted?!!!
Read my above posts - someone has edited the website interview text at least twice now and I have evidence to prove it.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Matthew wrote:
Scott wrote:You must be kidding.

No, the actual question which I posted and is clear to see on the website was:

Er, no.

I am looking right now at the original WordPerfect document of MY interview with George - that's right, my interview - which David posted on his website within three minutes.

And my original question, as written, was

"SJ The version of Blue Suede Shoes – is it a live version or the studio cut?
Last edited by Scott on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Matthew wrote:Read my above posts - someone has edited the website interview text at least twice now and I have evidence to prove it.
Then please show it. Perhaps David can clear up the confusion here when he comes back on ...

Topic author
Elvis Australia

I have already PM'md Mathew - first asking what he meant by 'Someone on Elvis Australia is playing silly buggers' .... after his reply I answered as below ...

No you are wrong, look again, all I have done is highlighted the word the as such in response to reading the posts.

---------------------------------------------------

And I will further write here - I have not changed the text only highlighted the word to make it more obvious as I took it from reading the above posts that such was needed.

David Troedson

Elvis Australia

Scott

Post by Scott »

Elvis Australia wrote:And I will further write here - I have not changed the text only highlighted the word to make it more obvious as I took it from reading the above posts that such was needed.
Like the man himself said, "Thankyouverymuch" David.

I didn't think there would be such editing done.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Scott, David, you have both lost my respect over this little (uncalled for) incident.

David - I have emailed you my captures, as noted I only have the evidence that you changed the word "the". Nevertheless I merely wrote into my first post what was displayed on your site originally. It is most distressing to be called mistaken only to see the source evidence change before my very eyes.

I find this whole thing most distasteful.

FYI - Playing silly buggers is merely an English phrase for "someone is messing around".

Scott

Post by Scott »

Matthew wrote: David - I have emailed you my captures
Matthew, please post your captures here so we can all see them ...

The reason I pounced is because your original interpretation of my question - for whatever reasons - had "a" instead of my original "the", thus drastically changing the meaning of the question completely.

My apologies for being brusque, but you can understand that I do not like to see my work - even one such as a relatively trivial and easy Q&A interview - misrepresented. Again, for whatever reasons ...
Last edited by Scott on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Scott wrote:
Matthew wrote: David - I have emailed you my captures
Matthew, please post your captures here so we can all see them ...
To prove what? That David edited the word "the" to red and italic? He has admitted as much above and now has them himself.

Guys - cut it out now.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Matthew wrote: To prove what? That David edited the word "the" to red and italic? He has admitted as much above and now has them himself.
David admitted no such thing ... in fact, he said just the opposite. He did not tweak the text.

Unless you're willing to show your screen grabs where the question said "a", then I think you owe him an apology. As to what this would "prove" ... I dunno, how about your contention that the question was edited by David, and to prove your argument and remove any doubt? :?

Dude, no one is calling you a liar. You made an honest mistake is all. David's got the emails as originally sent by me (and onto Ernst and others). The word was - and always was - "the", not "a".

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Scott wrote:
Matthew wrote: To prove what? That David edited the word "the" to red and italic? He has admitted as much above and now has them himself.
David admitted no such thing ... in fact, he said just the opposite. He did not tweak the text.

Unless you're willing to show your screen grabs where the question said "a", then I think you owe him an apology. As to what this would "prove" ... I dunno, how about your contention that the question was edited by David, and to prove your argument and remove any doubt? :?
Scott - David admits to a minor edit above in this thread. The only screen captures I have prove this very event. If you must see then he can email them to you. However the three of us know this doesn't prove my original concern of which you have everyones benefit of the doubt.

David - sending me a Word document which anyone can edit proves nothing.

I have nothing further to say on this matter - I wrote what was written as originally displayed. You can play me for a fool if you so desire but I am out of this one now as its leaving a nasty taste.

Good day.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Matthew wrote: Scott - David admits to a minor edit above in this thread. The only screen captures I have prove this very event.
Yes, the edit was to emphasise the word "the" because of confusion here on this very thread. David did not change "a" to "the", and to suggest otherwise is calling him a liar, which I know he is not. You said you had screen captures that "proved" that there was an edit. You do not, and never did ... mainly because an edit was never performed.
Matthew wrote: If you must see then he can email them to you .
He did. They were of the orginal edit with "the".
Matthew wrote: I wrote what was written as originally displayed.
You did not. By implication, you are suggesting that a) David manipulated the article to change the word "the" to "a", then back to "the" and b) that I am party to this conspiracy also.

If David had edited my interview (save for the occasional speling error or whatever) I would have been the first to pounce on him, as I did you. I do not like my work being misrepresented. I check all of my work, word for word, as soon as it goes up onto his (or any other) website.

The GK interview appeared, with "the studio version", as written originally. There was no edit of that question to change the word to "a" and back again.

End of story.

It's very simple. When the interview went up, you read the word "the". Later, when it had been italicised and changed to red in colour, you assumed what you had previously read was "a". Like I said, an honest mistake.
Matthew wrote:You can play me for a fool if you so desire
Actually, you've done a hell of a job of that yourself.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Matthew wrote:Read my above posts - someone has edited the website interview text at least twice now and I have evidence to prove it.
Nothing new there, Matthew. You have a keen eye!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Scott wrote:
Matthew wrote: Scott - David admits to a minor edit above in this thread. The only screen captures I have prove this very event.
Yes, the edit was to emphasise the word "the" because of confusion here on this very thread. David did not change "a" to "the", and to suggest otherwise is calling him a liar, which I know he is not. You said you had screen captures that "proved" that there was an edit. You do not, and never did ... mainly because an edit was never performed.
I never once claimed I had a capture of the screen as it originally appeared, if I had this would have been over with ages ago. I clearly stated I had captures proving amendments were taking place, nothing more.
Scott wrote:
Matthew wrote: If you must see then he can email them to you .
He did. They were of the orginal edit with "the".
I have been transparent on what captures I have. The first is a display of the screen after its first edit and the second shows the word “the” changed into red and italicised.
Scott wrote:
Matthew wrote: I wrote what was written as originally displayed.
You did not. By implication, you are suggesting that a) David manipulated the article to change the word "the" to "a", then back to "the" and b) that I am party to this conspiracy also.
No, I said that when I first viewed the page it said:

The version of Blue Suede Shoes - is it live or a studio cut?

which then changed to:

The version of Blue Suede Shoes - is it a live version or the studio cut?

which then changed to:

The version of Blue Suede Shoes - is it a live version or the studio cut

Interesting considering the red/italic element changed first on your post in this thread and then shortly after on the website.
Scott wrote:It's very simple. When the interview went up, you read the word "the". Later, when it had been italicised and changed to red in colour, you assumed what you had previously read was "a". Like I said, an honest mistake.
No Scott, we are not talking about mistaking “the” for the word “a”. Three distinct changes were made to the sentence:

1) the word “a” was added prior to the word “live”
2) the word “version” was added after the word “live”
3) the word “a” prior to the word “studio” was changed to the word “the”.

Three changes, period.
Scott wrote:
Matthew wrote:You can play me for a fool if you so desire
Actually, you've done a hell of a job of that yourself.
Actually, the only mistake I made was to continue operating within this farce.

Topic author
Elvis Australia

If you look at the first paragraph that I added as an introduction to the interview (also on the front page of the website) you will see that it says "used is a live or studio recording " Possibly this is what Mathew has (partially) read, possibly indicating he has not read the interview just glanced at the 'headline' text and jumped into make a post.

(to be in context you need to read the whole sentence as below)

Scott Jenkins interviewed George Klein this week about the Elvis Duets tape George has possession of with recordings of Help Me with Larry Gatlin, Guitar Man with Jerry Reed and Blue Suede Shoes with Carl Perkins. George reveals if the Elvis recording of Blue Suede Shoes used is a live or studio recording and tells us that this was a totally different project, it was to be called Elvis and Friends.

This text was also used in our email newsletter sent today so there are many thousands of people out there with these words in their in boxes.

In the actual interview for anyone that cares to actually read it !!!! -- the words have always been ....

"SJ - The version of Blue Suede Shoes – is it a live version or the studio cut?

GK - Studio. "

Mathew you don't mention that as well as the original Word document I have also given you GK's email address to ask him nor the fact that I had emailed the text to two other people and that you can check with them.

I sincerely believe you, believed this and that you are making an honest mistake but I must say, with the info I have provided you by PM you are way out of line here.

We all make mistakes. But I do not lie to you. And I have no need to edit text with a motive as you suggest. If the text was indeed wrong I would have posted a message acknowledging that in this forum. Why would I not?

As for me editing I actually did ask Scott if I could remove George's comment "Especially since they put out that horrible version of Baby Let's Play House. Have you heard that?" as this was not released by Sony BMG I thought of GK and did not want him to look silly.

Scott insisted I leave it -- "I would suggest leave it in, then put a disclaimer immediately after the question …"

Which I did. [This was actually not released by Sony BMG but by an independent DJ in Italy] -- I also added the extra text referring to Waylon Jennings as it was relevant. (And I love Waylon too!)

David Troedson

Elvis Australia

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:Actually, the only mistake I made was to continue operating within this farce.
Ah, but where do you stand on the "Elvis In Concert" deluxe DVD debate?
I'm holding out for Blu-ray.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Elvis Australia wrote:If you look at the first paragraph that I added as an introduction to the interview (also on the front page of the website) you will see that it says "used is a live or studio recording " Possibly this is what Mathew has (partially) read, possibly indicating he has not read the interview just glanced at the 'headline' text and jumped into make a post.
For your information I read the complete interview and then after reading the opening comments from Doc and Scott in the thread re-visited the page. I thought that in my own opinion the question and answer as it originally appeared didn’t actually shed any light on what vocal track of Elvis’ appears on the recording hence my original post.
Elvis Australia wrote:Mathew you don't mention that as well as the original Word document I have also given you GK's email address to ask him nor the fact that I had emailed the text to two other people and that you can check with them.
I made comment on the sentence as it appeared on the website. Whether or not you asked the question as it now appears to George or not I don’t know. Maybe you made a typo on the website, but I know what I read and I know what was changed. Me randomly emailing George Klien out of the blue about a forum topic would be ridiculous and pathetic to say the least – and it would prove nothing other than what question he was (maybe) asked. If you say that the question asked of George Klien was:

The version of Blue Suede Shoes - is it a live version or the studio cut?

then so be it – but this sentence did not originally appear on your website.