Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
tcb1977
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

did YOU see Elvis live?

Post by tcb1977 »

would love to hear stories or see photos of when you seen Elvis? would you mind sharing them.....thank you!

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Re: did YOU see Elvis live?

Post by midnightx »

No, but I saw "Elvis In Concert" - does that count?

minni1
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by minni1 »

Yes, i did!
My story, basically, is this: In 1977, when I was 14, my best friend's older sister and 2 sisters in law were going to see Elvis, they were very excited! I begged and pleaded and, I'm sure, made a bloody nuisance of myself, and they told me if I could come up with the money, they'd get me a ticket and take me with them. I'm sure they never expected me to get the money, my mom was divorced with 6 children, one in college at the time. She didn't receive support from my dad, and worked two jobs to make ends meet, at the factory 7am-3pm, then waiting tables from 4:30pm-1 am. Looking back, I have no idea how she managed to get the money, but she did, and even gave me enough money to purchase 2 posters and a program!
Anyway, I got the money and was able to tag a long! It was a Saturday night, June 25, 1977, and Cincinnati was about 3 hours from my house, so we all got there and found our seats, then bought my souvenirs, and sat down. The show was scheduled to begin at 8:30, but Elvis was late, due to having to go to the dentist and sound problems, as he later explained. From the moment he stepped on stage, it was pure magic. I know some say he was sick, weak, a shadow of his former self; while he wasn't at his peak mentally or physically, he was still ELVIS! I'm telling ya, right before he came onstage, you could literally feel a crackling in the air, it was alive with energy, I kid you not! He was absolutely beautiful! He did See See Rider, and then spoke a bit about being late, joking around, apologizing, as if he needed to! He then did I Got A Woman/Amen and did the hip swiveling thing, and let J.D. take it way down the scale! Then did the Saturday Night, just got paid, thang. Made a few girls very happy in the front (Lots of squealing), quite a bit of joking around and they gave him something.
Then did Love Me, If You Love Me Let Me Know, You Gave Me A Mountain, Jailhouse Rock. Then He and Sherrill Neilson did O Sole Mio/It's Now Or Never. Then Little Sister, short but sweet!
He then did Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel medley, with just a little bit of hip shakin 'and the line "please forget the past, before I kick your ___. "
Then, he slowed things down with And I Love You So. Very beautiful. His voice was very rich and strong! After that, it was My Way and then some introductions of the band, John Wilkinson doing a bit of early morning Rain, and Elvis singing it as well. Then, James Burton, and a bit of What'd I Say. Followed by Johnny B. Goode. After that, He did I Really Don't Want To Know, which I love. Followed by introduction of Vernon, they got him up on stage, he looked very well, though Elvis had said he'd been sick, also he introduced his girlfriend Ginger, then the rest of the Alden Klan. and the Espositos. He also mentioned the young people from England who had come to see him. He then did Unchained Melody and it was phenomenal. He did miss a chord, as he warned us he might, but it was so full of emotion, his voice so beautiful, I can't begin to describe it, even better than the live 1977 version that plays a lot, from where, Rapid City?
He next did Hound Dog and Can't Help Falling In Love. Then, he walked to all sides of the stage, and put his arms in the air. Then suddenly, he was gone! The exit music played for just a very short time, and the announcement, "Elvis Has Left The Building, Thank You and Good Night" followed by the plug for souvenirs, the exit instructions and all that. I'm telling you what, it felt like it does after a big storm, when everything is still and quiet, like all the energy had been sucked out of the air. It honestly felt like he had only been onstage a couple of minutes, but also like he'd always been there. I really was mesmerized the whole time, I don't recall if anyone said anything to me, except someone did offer me their binoculars, but I don't remember using them. If I'd been just a little bit older or wiser, I would have attempted to get down front, where I may have gotten a scarf or a kiss, but the people making the announcements assured us that if you were down there without a ticket for the front row, you would be ejected, and I had no intention of jeopardizing my chance to finally see Elvis! I finally left when my friend's sister shoved me out of my seat. It was an incredible experience. I've been to a few concerts since, but nothing has ever or will ever compare to that night! I'll never, ever forget it!

Riverfront Coliseum Cincinnati, Ohio, June 25, 1977

Topic author
tcb1977
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by tcb1977 »

wow thank you, great story!! i appreciate that!

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

minni1,

Thank you,that was almost palpable !!!

Dan.

sooner
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by sooner »

Dan_T wrote:minni1,

Dan.
What Means This?

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

midnightx wrote:No, but I saw "Elvis In Concert" - does that count?
One more quip like that and you are on the naughty step! :evil:

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

sooner wrote:
Dan_T wrote:minni1,

Dan.
What Means This?
It means we can almost feel Minnies joy Sooner!

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Dave the Rave
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by Dave the Rave »

Yes Cincinnati and Indianapolis 1977

omnipresence

Post by omnipresence »

Sounds great. I assume you went with the UK fan club?

ColinB
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ColinB »

Err.................................................................................................................................................................. no

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

tcb1977 wrote:would love to hear stories or see photos of when you seen Elvis? would you mind sharing them.....thank you!
A topic like that has already been done, with great member contribution..
PEP even added pictures to all those great stories.. it's out here somewhere, happy hunting...

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

You've become obsessed with EIC!

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

Joe Car wrote:
Who isn't? It is prime footage of Elvis Presley.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

midnightx wrote:
Joe Car wrote:
Who isn't? It is prime footage of Elvis Presley.
You son of a gun! :lol:

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

minni1 wrote:Yes, i did!
My story, basically, is this: In 1977, when I was 14, my best friend's older sister and 2 sisters in law were going to see Elvis, they were very excited! I begged and pleaded and, I'm sure, made a bloody nuisance of myself, and they told me if I could come up with the money, they'd get me a ticket and take me with them. I'm sure they never expected me to get the money, my mom was divorced with 6 children, one in college at the time. She didn't receive support from my dad, and worked two jobs to make ends meet, at the factory 7am-3pm, then waiting tables from 4:30pm-1 am. Looking back, I have no idea how she managed to get the money, but she did, and even gave me enough money to purchase 2 posters and a program!
Anyway, I got the money and was able to tag a long! It was a Saturday night, June 25, 1977, and Cincinnati was about 3 hours from my house, so we all got there and found our seats, then bought my souvenirs, and sat down. The show was scheduled to begin at 8:30, but Elvis was late, due to having to go to the dentist and sound problems, as he later explained. From the moment he stepped on stage, it was pure magic. I know some say he was sick, weak, a shadow of his former self; while he wasn't at his peak mentally or physically, he was still ELVIS! I'm telling ya, right before he came onstage, you could literally feel a crackling in the air, it was alive with energy, I kid you not! He was absolutely beautiful! He did See See Rider, and then spoke a bit about being late, joking around, apologizing, as if he needed to! He then did I Got A Woman/Amen and did the hip swiveling thing, and let J.D. take it way down the scale! Then did the Saturday Night, just got paid, thang. Made a few girls very happy in the front (Lots of squealing), quite a bit of joking around and they gave him something.
Then did Love Me, If You Love Me Let Me Know, You Gave Me A Mountain, Jailhouse Rock. Then He and Sherrill Neilson did O Sole Mio/It's Now Or Never. Then Little Sister, short but sweet!
He then did Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel medley, with just a little bit of hip shakin 'and the line "please forget the past, before I kick your ___. "
Then, he slowed things down with And I Love You So. Very beautiful. His voice was very rich and strong! After that, it was My Way and then some introductions of the band, John Wilkinson doing a bit of early morning Rain, and Elvis singing it as well. Then, James Burton, and a bit of What'd I Say. Followed by Johnny B. Goode. After that, He did I Really Don't Want To Know, which I love. Followed by introduction of Vernon, they got him up on stage, he looked very well, though Elvis had said he'd been sick, also he introduced his girlfriend Ginger, then the rest of the Alden Klan. and the Espositos. He also mentioned the young people from England who had come to see him. He then did Unchained Melody and it was phenomenal. He did miss a chord, as he warned us he might, but it was so full of emotion, his voice so beautiful, I can't begin to describe it, even better than the live 1977 version that plays a lot, from where, Rapid City?
He next did Hound Dog and Can't Help Falling In Love. Then, he walked to all sides of the stage, and put his arms in the air. Then suddenly, he was gone! The exit music played for just a very short time, and the announcement, "Elvis Has Left The Building, Thank You and Good Night" followed by the plug for souvenirs, the exit instructions and all that. I'm telling you what, it felt like it does after a big storm, when everything is still and quiet, like all the energy had been sucked out of the air. It honestly felt like he had only been onstage a couple of minutes, but also like he'd always been there. I really was mesmerized the whole time, I don't recall if anyone said anything to me, except someone did offer me their binoculars, but I don't remember using them. If I'd been just a little bit older or wiser, I would have attempted to get down front, where I may have gotten a scarf or a kiss, but the people making the announcements assured us that if you were down there without a ticket for the front row, you would be ejected, and I had no intention of jeopardizing my chance to finally see Elvis! I finally left when my friend's sister shoved me out of my seat. It was an incredible experience. I've been to a few concerts since, but nothing has ever or will ever compare to that night! I'll never, ever forget it!
Absolutely beautiful post pertaining to the 1977 Elvis.

I truly thank you for it, too; a pleasure to read (instead of some of the other crap I'm seeing on this MB regarding circa EIC / '77 Elvis).

All my best,
N8
... just a fan ....

Rob

Post by Rob »

Place - Freedom Hall in Louisville, Kentucky
When - June 26, 1974
Time - 7:00 p.m.

The doors were opening and people started pouring through the turnstiles. They acted as though it was not reserved seating as they seemed in an awful hurry to find where they were supposed to sit. I was already inside. We have a very good friend who at that time, was an employee at the fairgrounds on which Freedom Hall stands. He was able to get us tickets for special events on several different occasions. We were allowed inside about 30 minutes before the doors opened and sat in about the 10th or 12th row. We didn't actually have tickets, which I now regret. We did see a little of the sound check and band warm-up. Not much though. I saw all of the musicians but none of the Stamps or Sweets.

Anyway, the lights finally went down at 8:30. Not all of the 20,000 fans were there yet. They were still arriving in droves. I'm trying to remember (this was 34 years ago, and I was just a little bitty kid), but I think J.D. and the Stamps opened up the show that night, followed by Voice, and then the Sweets. If Jackie Kahane was there, I don't remember him.

The pre-show was over at 9:30. They had to re-arrange much of the stage equipment because none of the TCB band plays for any of the warm up acts. During this time, there was a short chubby guy (Al Dvorin) hocking albums, pictures, posters and buttons from the stage. There were also several vendors in the crowd which was now filled to capacity.

Finally, at around 10:00, the lights went down...and I mean down. It was total darkness. The 2001 Theme had started. You've heard that dude on the CBS Special use the phrase "God has just landed".....he nailed it.

When Elvis appeared in what we now know as the Peacock suit, the flashbulbs were unbelievable. I had never seen such a light show in my life. The thing is though, that it lasted the entire show. Elvis was on stage for an hour, but it seemed like 10 minutes. He didn't do much talking and seem to concentrate on pleasing the audience with his music. He did joke with the crowd on a couple of occasions. The one thing that I remember most and will never forget is that no matter what he did, said, or sang, the audience screamed with approval. There is no soundboard or audience recording that will make you experience what the crowd is like when Elvis is on stage in front of you. The recording can pick up the cheering and screaming, but it doesn't pick up the actual feeling that goes through your body during the climax of "An American Trilogy." As the music was building to the final climax, there is no doubt that at least 18,000 people were on their feet with their hair standing straight up. I will never forget that feeling on that particular song for the rest of my life. You have to witness this song in person to appreciate it 100%.

I can actually remember others as well such as Polk Salad Annie, Help Me and Let Me Be There (which until now I had never heard him do. It was a nice surprise).

I can also remember that it only took about 5 minutes of him being on stage until we noticed the sweat on his face and chest. When he started to throw out a few scarves, the security guards at the front of the stage didn't even try to keep the women back. They just stepped aside.

I can remember him thanking us for being such a responsive crowd and saying something about "until the next time we meet".

He tossed out a few more scarves before he left and it was over before we knew it. I also remember that even though it was Elvis who just gave the performance, I felt exhausted...but very happy.

As we left, and I'll never forget this, I heard one lady ask another one what she planned to do when she got home. The other one replied, "I'm going to close my eyes and pretend that my husband is Elvis."

I'm sure her husband was happy that night. I also know of 20,000 other folks that were happy as well.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Thanks gang for posting your stories about seeing Elvis live, sounds incredible!

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

Rob wrote:Place - Freedom Hall in Louisville, Kentucky
When - June 26, 1974
Time - 7:00 p.m.

The doors were opening and people started pouring through the turnstiles. They acted as though it was not reserved seating as they seemed in an awful hurry to find where they were supposed to sit. I was already inside. We have a very good friend who at that time, was an employee at the fairgrounds on which Freedom Hall stands. He was able to get us tickets for special events on several different occasions. We were allowed inside about 30 minutes before the doors opened and sat in about the 10th or 12th row. We didn't actually have tickets, which I now regret. We did see a little of the sound check and band warm-up. Not much though. I saw all of the musicians but none of the Stamps or Sweets.

Anyway, the lights finally went down at 8:30. Not all of the 20,000 fans were there yet. They were still arriving in droves. I'm trying to remember (this was 34 years ago, and I was just a little bitty kid), but I think J.D. and the Stamps opened up the show that night, followed by Voice, and then the Sweets. If Jackie Kahane was there, I don't remember him.

The pre-show was over at 9:30. They had to re-arrange much of the stage equipment because none of the TCB band plays for any of the warm up acts. During this time, there was a short chubby guy (Al Dvorin) hocking albums, pictures, posters and buttons from the stage. There were also several vendors in the crowd which was now filled to capacity.

Finally, at around 10:00, the lights went down...and I mean down. It was total darkness. The 2001 Theme had started. You've heard that dude on the CBS Special use the phrase "God has just landed".....he nailed it.

When Elvis appeared in what we now know as the Peacock suit, the flashbulbs were unbelievable. I had never seen such a light show in my life. The thing is though, that it lasted the entire show. Elvis was on stage for an hour, but it seemed like 10 minutes. He didn't do much talking and seem to concentrate on pleasing the audience with his music. He did joke with the crowd on a couple of occasions. The one thing that I remember most and will never forget is that no matter what he did, said, or sang, the audience screamed with approval. There is no soundboard or audience recording that will make you experience what the crowd is like when Elvis is on stage in front of you. The recording can pick up the cheering and screaming, but it doesn't pick up the actual feeling that goes through your body during the climax of "An American Trilogy." As the music was building to the final climax, there is no doubt that at least 18,000 people were on their feet with their hair standing straight up. I will never forget that feeling on that particular song for the rest of my life. You have to witness this song in person to appreciate it 100%.

I can actually remember others as well such as Polk Salad Annie, Help Me and Let Me Be There (which until now I had never heard him do. It was a nice surprise).

I can also remember that it only took about 5 minutes of him being on stage until we noticed the sweat on his face and chest. When he started to throw out a few scarves, the security guards at the front of the stage didn't even try to keep the women back. They just stepped aside.

I can remember him thanking us for being such a responsive crowd and saying something about "until the next time we meet".

He tossed out a few more scarves before he left and it was over before we knew it. I also remember that even though it was Elvis who just gave the performance, I felt exhausted...but very happy.

As we left, and I'll never forget this, I heard one lady ask another one what she planned to do when she got home. The other one replied, "I'm going to close my eyes and pretend that my husband is Elvis."

I'm sure her husband was happy that night. I also know of 20,000 other folks that were happy as well.
Yet another great post, from one who was there.

The 70's EP, whether it be '74 ........ or '77 .............

Giving a lot of "fans" a little bit of pleasure and happiness .............. then ........ & NOW.

My thanks for this thread and the stories.

All my best,
N8
... just a fan (especially '70-'77 ... EP) ......

Elvis_Priestly

Post by Elvis_Priestly »

Two great stories that really brought us here. Passionate writing that stirs the emotions - thank you!

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Thanks,Rob,that was fantastic too !!!

These personal posts really make you feel like you're there !

Dan.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

I saw Elvis in concert twice. The first time was in July 17, 1975 at the New Haven Veteran's Memorial Coliseum (I was 15). Of the opening acts Voice stood out for me as I thought their vocal harmonies were reminiscent of the group America. The electricty or atmosphere in the building before Elvis' arrival on stage was truly palpable! The ever increasing tension of the 2001 theme build up that finally gives way to the See See Rider vamp. Then the enormous release as the crowd roars when Elvis sauntered out onto the stage (he wore the gypsy suit) with that distinctive walk of his with flashbulbs going off everywhere. Words simply cannot describe this experience - it had to be experienced! To this day it's the most exciting artist entrance I've ever seen - and I've seen most of the big names. I recall that when Elvis went into See See Rider he didn't hit that classic stance, legs apart, right leg out in front. Instead, he had a more casual stance his weight more or less on his right leg, with his left leg a little out to the side. The first highlight of the night was Big Boss Man, which was done in that above octave manner that you hear on the America's Own imports. Elvis was very animated and lively thoughout the show. I recall thinking that this liveliness was what was missing from Aloha. I was quite thrilled to hear him end the first segment with his 2 biggest 70's hits, The Wonder of You and Burning Love. The latter was at the time my favorite record of his, and he performed it quite energetically. During the 'hunka, hunka' bit he got into a sideways half crouch and did the circular arm movements, then at one point quickly pivoted so he was facing the other direction and continued doing the arm movements. During the second half of the show Elvis did a fast-paced above octave rendition of Let Me Be There that really brought the house down. On You Gave Me a Mountain his voice came thundering out on the choruses. He also did Heartbreak Hotel (another of my all-time favforites) during this segment in a version which came across as more rousing and spirited than the MSG version. Towards the end came the Mystery Train-Tiger Man medley, and Elvis did the moves similar to how he did them in the opening of the original TTWII. If memory serves, there were multi-colored lights going off accenting these moves. That's it for now. I'll describe my second show (New Haven July 30 1976) in a day or 2 if folks are interested.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Pete Dube wrote:I saw Elvis in concert twice. The first time was in July 17, 1975 at the New Haven Veteran's Memorial Coliseum (I was 15). Of the opening acts Voice stood out for me as I thought their vocal harmonies were reminiscent of the group America. The electricty or atmosphere in the building before Elvis' arrival on stage was truly palpable! The ever increasing tension of the 2001 theme build up that finally gives way to the See See Rider vamp. Then the enormous release as the crowd roars when Elvis sauntered out onto the stage (he wore the gypsy suit) with that distinctive walk of his with flashbulbs going off everywhere. Words simply cannot describe this experience - it had to be experienced! To this day it's the most exciting artist entrance I've ever seen - and I've seen most of the big names. I recall that when Elvis went into See See Rider he didn't hit that classic stance, legs apart, right leg out in front. Instead, he had a more casual stance his weight more or less on his right leg, with his left leg a little out to the side. The first highlight of the night was Big Boss Man, which was done in that above octave manner that you hear on the America's Own imports. Elvis was very animated and lively thoughout the show. I recall thinking that this liveliness was what was missing from Aloha. I was quite thrilled to hear him end the first segment with his 2 biggest 70's hits, The Wonder of You and Burning Love. The latter was at the time my favorite record of his, and he performed it quite energetically. During the 'hunka, hunka' bit he got into a sideways half crouch and did the circular arm movements, then at one point quickly pivoted so he was facing the other direction and continued doing the arm movements. During the second half of the show Elvis did a fast-paced above octave rendition of Let Me Be There that really brought the house down. On You Gave Me a Mountain his voice came thundering out on the choruses. He also did Heartbreak Hotel (another of my all-time favforites) during this segment in a version which came across as more rousing and spirited than the MSG version. Towards the end came the Mystery Train-Tiger Man medley, and Elvis did the moves similar to how he did them in the opening of the original TTWII. If memory serves, there were multi-colored lights going off accenting these moves. That's it for now. I'll describe my second show (New Haven July 30 1976) in a day or 2 if folks are interested.
Please do share! Thanks.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

Pete Dube wrote:I saw Elvis in concert twice. The first time was in July 17, 1975 at the New Haven Veteran's Memorial Coliseum (I was 15). Of the opening acts Voice stood out for me as I thought their vocal harmonies were reminiscent of the group America. The electricty or atmosphere in the building before Elvis' arrival on stage was truly palpable! The ever increasing tension of the 2001 theme build up that finally gives way to the See See Rider vamp. Then the enormous release as the crowd roars when Elvis sauntered out onto the stage (he wore the gypsy suit) with that distinctive walk of his with flashbulbs going off everywhere. Words simply cannot describe this experience - it had to be experienced! To this day it's the most exciting artist entrance I've ever seen - and I've seen most of the big names. I recall that when Elvis went into See See Rider he didn't hit that classic stance, legs apart, right leg out in front. Instead, he had a more casual stance his weight more or less on his right leg, with his left leg a little out to the side. The first highlight of the night was Big Boss Man, which was done in that above octave manner that you hear on the America's Own imports. Elvis was very animated and lively thoughout the show. I recall thinking that this liveliness was what was missing from Aloha. I was quite thrilled to hear him end the first segment with his 2 biggest 70's hits, The Wonder of You and Burning Love. The latter was at the time my favorite record of his, and he performed it quite energetically. During the 'hunka, hunka' bit he got into a sideways half crouch and did the circular arm movements, then at one point quickly pivoted so he was facing the other direction and continued doing the arm movements. During the second half of the show Elvis did a fast-paced above octave rendition of Let Me Be There that really brought the house down. On You Gave Me a Mountain his voice came thundering out on the choruses. He also did Heartbreak Hotel (another of my all-time favforites) during this segment in a version which came across as more rousing and spirited than the MSG version. Towards the end came the Mystery Train-Tiger Man medley, and Elvis did the moves similar to how he did them in the opening of the original TTWII. If memory serves, there were multi-colored lights going off accenting these moves. That's it for now. I'll describe my second show (New Haven July 30 1976) in a day or 2 if folks are interested.
I think this is from your show Pete.

19077558if - Copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.