Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Johanesson
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Re: It's a deja-vu time - new release

Post by Johanesson »

Here's the review from elvisnews.com:

"Released on an unknown import label is the amateurish looking CD "It’s Deja-vu Time". With so many crap releases coming out recently I wonder, is it deja-vu time again?
Design

This CD features a great picture on the cover, and two noce shots of our man on the back of the “booklet” and CD; but that’s all that’s great in the design departement. Sloppy printing, low quality paper and no liner notes.
Content

Elvis’ dinner show from the Las Vegas Hilton as recorded August 19, 1973 was previously available on various CD-Rs like “Take The Ribbon From Your Hair”, "Whole Lotta Shakin'In Vegas" and "Las Vegas August 19, 1973". So you can say it is “deja-vu time”.

The show itself is very up-beat and entertaining. Elvis rocks through the show. It could also be due to the tape running a bit too fast – especially after the introductions, incomplete probably had to change the tape - that this show has such a pace ☺ On “Help Me Make It Through The Night” I thought I heard Alvin and the Chipmunks.
Personally I always liked the rock and roll medley; doing short versions of his classics this way make them sound less like the throw-a-ways we know from the later years. “Fever” also still has some of the original sweat from the early days. The show holds no real surprises. HE experimented with “Big Boss Man” and “Down In The Alley” during the opening show a week earlier, but the audience didn’t go for it … the morons. If only they would have reacted more positively on new songs we would probably have less concerts with pretty much the same set lists.

The audio-quality is very good for n audience recording, but it is not a soundboard as stated on the back; none of the previous CD-R releases of this show were.

The CD ends with various bonus tracks, most from 1977 and one from 1974. Why use this material with so many other CD-R’s from the same concert series to choose from, that would have been more logical.
Conclusion

It is not a complete "deja-vu" from other crappy import releases. It is what it is; an entertaining but too fast running show in an enjoyable sound quality."

It seems the reviewer isn't sure in the year...because he's talking about another Vegas season.

Thomas
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by Thomas »

Ciscoking wrote:and yes, Midnight Special is also a booth recording, that is where this release is taken from.
the tape on Midnight Special runs a bit too fast, on this release it has been adjusted.
In this case, it's an absolute must-have! Somehow I had the feeling that the people making "Getting Down The Business" and "We Don't Care What They Like" did record more than two shows.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Johanesson wrote:Here's the review from elvisnews.com:

"Released on an unknown import label is the amateurish looking CD "It’s Deja-vu Time". With so many crap releases coming out recently I wonder, is it deja-vu time again?
Design

This CD features a great picture on the cover, and two noce shots of our man on the back of the “booklet” and CD; but that’s all that’s great in the design departement. Sloppy printing, low quality paper and no liner notes.
Content

Elvis’ dinner show from the Las Vegas Hilton as recorded August 19, 1973 was previously available on various CD-Rs like “Take The Ribbon From Your Hair”, "Whole Lotta Shakin'In Vegas" and "Las Vegas August 19, 1973". So you can say it is “deja-vu time”.

The show itself is very up-beat and entertaining. Elvis rocks through the show. It could also be due to the tape running a bit too fast – especially after the introductions, incomplete probably had to change the tape - that this show has such a pace ☺ On “Help Me Make It Through The Night” I thought I heard Alvin and the Chipmunks.
Personally I always liked the rock and roll medley; doing short versions of his classics this way make them sound less like the throw-a-ways we know from the later years. “Fever” also still has some of the original sweat from the early days. The show holds no real surprises. HE experimented with “Big Boss Man” and “Down In The Alley” during the opening show a week earlier, but the audience didn’t go for it … the morons. If only they would have reacted more positively on new songs we would probably have less concerts with pretty much the same set lists.

The audio-quality is very good for n audience recording, but it is not a soundboard as stated on the back; none of the previous CD-R releases of this show were.

The CD ends with various bonus tracks, most from 1977 and one from 1974. Why use this material with so many other CD-R’s from the same concert series to choose from, that would have been more logical.
Conclusion

It is not a complete "deja-vu" from other crappy import releases. It is what it is; an entertaining but too fast running show in an enjoyable sound quality."

It seems the reviewer isn't sure in the year...because he's talking about another Vegas season.
i have just read that on elvisnews.com and saw that he cocked up the year and had to check to make sure i was reading the same review :lol: :lol:

Johanesson

Post by Johanesson »

Thomas wrote:I had the feeling that the people making "Getting Down The Business" and "We Don't Care What They Like" did record more than two shows.
Yes,there are many. Maybe 20 or 30,esp. from feb. and aug. '73,but as far as i know the april fool's day show from '75 is also a booth recording,though the sound quality is not the best.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Johanesson wrote:Yes,there are many. Maybe 20 or 30,esp. from feb. and aug. '73,but as far as i know the april fool's day show from '75 is also a booth recording,though the sound quality is not the best.
Wow. 20 or 30! They should think of a way to mark their releases better so the buyer knows it's one of theirs. I would buy all of them.

Joern
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Joern »

I've heard that the speed is way to fast. Anybody here to confirm or to deny?

Joern

Johanesson

Post by Johanesson »

Joern wrote:I've heard that the speed is way to fast. Anybody here to confirm or to deny?
Joern
elvis sweden wrote:I mention earlier that they had corrected the speed.Sorry they haven't done it.So the problem still exist with the tape speed :-(
http://www.elvisnews.com/Presentation/Functional/Page/news.aspx?command=show&item=10425

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

I wrote that they had corrected the speed..that is obviously not the case...sorry.. so it`s just a copy of a copy of a CDR..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Johanesson

Post by Johanesson »

Thomas wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:and yes, Midnight Special is also a booth recording, that is where this release is taken from.
the tape on Midnight Special runs a bit too fast, on this release it has been adjusted.
In this case, it's an absolute must-have!
Do you like chipmonks?
http://www.elviscrawler.com/cds/audio/stream/aug_19_73_ms_imp/15.ram

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Aahh,...yes I forgot ,..we have it over here at crawler,..always one step ahead.. :lol:

Johanesson,,please read my post above there you see that I ammended my previous post...yes it must be the chipmunks...

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Bilko
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by Bilko »

Ciscoking wrote:I wrote that they had corrected the speed..that is obviously not the case...sorry.. so it`s just a copy of a copy of a CDR..
And that´s a reason to not to buy this one :wink:

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

He's a cute little fellow !
Thanks for the link - I don't think the speed is that bad. And you can slow it down with every good audio-software.

Johanesson

Post by Johanesson »

Thomas wrote: He's a cute little fellow !
Thanks for the link - I don't think the speed is that bad. And you can slow it down with every good audio-software.
Now you can listen to the show on elvisoncd.com.
The sound quality is very good but i can't enjoy it because of the fast speed. I can't slow it down. If Straight Arrow re-release this show,then i'll buy it. The nice artwork and the correct speed are very important to me. When i pay $25-30 for a CD,i want value for my money.

Joern

Post by Joern »

Thomas wrote:Thanks for the link - I don't think the speed is that bad. And you can slow it down with every good audio-software.
I think if you want to release a bootleg CD, you've got to do it right. If you can't do it that way, than it's better to keep your hands off. In this case they've released a CD which circulates in two other versions that suffer from the same speed problems.

In other words...

- they didn't care to release a concert a third time instead of releasing something new (which they can't for obvious reasons);
- they didn't care about the "design" - taking three pictures from different occasions (without matching the content) ~ watch the fonts (I can smell Word somehow)
- they didn't care about the speed-problem (it's also bothering that they said they did ~ that's the way it was offered to me)
- they put some senseless bonus-tracks on it which add nothing to the CD

Conclusion: This is a fretful release - imo.

Joern

BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

I heard about this one before I went away, and thought "how stupid to re-release this show".

Now I have it, and it is worse than I thought !! Deja-vu indeed - like they are taking the piss really !! Might as well call it Plumbing New Depths.

Abysmal artwork, no effort in tape speed correction, and an exact copy of CD/Pro CDr that most serious collectors already have twice, with unrelated "bonus" tracks.

Cisco's C word was made for such as this.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Bilko wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:I wrote that they had corrected the speed..that is obviously not the case...sorry.. so it`s just a copy of a copy of a CDR..
C`mon let`s say it.....C-R-A-P.... :lol:

They should have asked good ol`Cisco..I have a speed corrected version.. :wink:

Hey BigG,..good to have ya back...I missed ya.. :lol:
Last edited by Ciscoking on Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben

Post by Ben »

Ciscoking wrote:
Bilko wrote:
C`mon let`s say it.....C-R-A-P.... :lol:

They should have asked good ol`Cisco..I have a speed corrected version.. :wink:
sing it with us everybody