Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

A King Creole movie out-take!!!!

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:51 pm

As a collector of Elvis on 8mm since the late 1970's, one of the first films I bought back then was "King Creole". I also had the trailer. Whilst watching both yesterday on DVD, I noticed that the clip in the trailer where Elvis is fighting with Walter Matthau is a different one to what was included in the final print. Elvis shouts to Ronnie "get out of here Ronnie. Don't come back". In the trailer, Elvis makes a gesture to her with his right arm. In the actual film, that signal is not given and Ronnie is standing with her hands in a 'praying' position, unlike in the trailer. Also, in the movie, Elvis is pushed back towards the settee in Matthau's office, unlike in the trailer.
I knew some of the clips in the "Jailhouse rock" and "GI Blues" trailers were alternate takes, but it's the first time I've noticed that there is a "King Creole" alternate scene right under our noses for over 50 years!
Just a small observation. Maybe others already spotted this before?
phpBB [video]

It can be seen at around the 1.59 mark here.

Re: A King Creole movie out-take!!!!

Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Well spotted Tony,i never noticed that before

Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:39 pm

There are lots of outtakes, and different camera angles of the same take, found in those trailers.

The earlier the movie the more varied the trailer takes were to the finished film as a general rule.

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:28 pm

Tony.. wrote:I knew some of the clips in the "Jailhouse rock" and "GI Blues" trailers were alternate takes, but it's the first time I've noticed that there is a "King Creole" alternate scene right under our noses for over 50 years!

Most trailers were cut together before a film's final edit, so a keen eye will often spot unused takes or angles. For example, on the 60th Anniversary edition DVD of "It's A Wonderful Life" -- the best-ever remastering, by the way -- the trailer included several sequences either cut or redone for the final film.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HEWEJO

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:35 pm

ekenee wrote:There are lots of outtakes, and different camera angles of the same take, found in those trailers.

The earlier the movie the more varied the trailer takes were to the finished film as a general rule.

That's a definite for "Loving you" (the dialogue with Lizabeth Scott at the graveyard), "Jailhouse rock" (the guitar smashing scene and whipping scene) plus "GI Blues". The King Creole one was harder to spot. Anyone notice any different 'takes' in any other Elvis trailers, apart from the "Lonely man" / "I don't want to" scenes?

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:05 am

" A King Creole movie out-take!!!! "

:facep: Don't tease us like that, Tony.. !
I thought you were announcing that someone had located the unused footage of "Hard Headed Woman"!

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:40 am

The "Love Me Tender" trailer uses footage that is not seen in the final print.
In particular, take note of the alternate Let Me and Poor Boy sequences.

phpBB [video]

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:18 am

Tony.. wrote:
ekenee wrote:There are lots of outtakes, and different camera angles of the same take, found in those trailers.

That's a definite for "Loving you" (the dialogue with Lizabeth Scott at the graveyard), "Jailhouse rock" (the guitar smashing scene and whipping scene) plus "GI Blues". The King Creole one was harder to spot. Anyone notice any different 'takes' in any other Elvis trailers, apart from the "Lonely man" / "I don't want to" scenes?

I was once going to make a list of these, but there were too many.

There's a couple from the trialer of "blue hawaii".
Check out "kissin cousins".

Someone could make a list. I would if I had time.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:42 am

Nice going Tony, thanks for pointing that out :)