elvis on tour - why was there not a offical lp

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Rob

Re: elvis on tour - why was there not a offical lp

Post by Rob »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the release of the Madison Square Garden LP had something to do with it.
Last edited by Rob on Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Rob wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the release of the Madison Square Garden LP had something to do with it.
You're wrong, Colonel Parker had something to do with it.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

Do tell......

Patrick68

Post by Patrick68 »

There was going to be a release of On Tour on LP, I believe it was going to be called STANDING ROOM ONLY, but was put off for the Madison Square Garden LP instead.

ELVIS ROCKS!

drjohncarpenter

Rob wrote:Do tell......
I just did!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

Patrick68 wrote:There was going to be a release of On Tour on LP, I believe it was going to be called STANDING ROOM ONLY, but was put off for the Madison Square Garden LP instead.

You are correct.

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

rickeap

Post by rickeap »

I always understood that preference was given to the MSG gig.
Doc can you further explain your thoughts?
Was it the ol' Colonel who veteod it and if so was MSG the reason?
Rick

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

Colonel Tom Parker held back the release of Standing Room Only because he wanted RCA to record two shows for the upcoming Madison Square Garden concerts. Which we know that both the afternoon and evening shows of June 10th was recorded. The evening show was chosen to be release. American Trilogy/First Time I Saw Her Face was the only time that the LP Standing Room Only was mentioned. On Burning Love/It's A Matter of Time mentioned Madison Square Garden LP.

So Doc was right in one view and Patrick was right in the other.

My view is that Colonel did a wise move on his part but it really should of been the afternoon show that was release first and not the evening show. Afternoon show is better than the evening but I like them both. :)

drjohncarpenter

elvislennon wrote:So Doc was right in one view ...
He was also being just a little bit tongue-in-cheek ...

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Burning Love

Post by Burning Love »

You know I was just thinking about this very subjet yesterday, Just as an CD was issued called "For The Asking" detailing a complete session that was never released and more resently "Tommorrow Is a Long Time" and "Burning Love". I think it would be great to create on LP. Weather it is the abadoned 'Standing Room Only" which would be the most logical or create a new soundtrack this would be great. Obviously this would sell the most in the FTD Classic Album Series, but as we all know this was never an abum so it would not fit this series. But I would like to see something along the lines of an FTD because (1) this would greatly benifit from the 7 inch format with a book that goes along with it and (2) this would appeal mainly to Elvis fans so an FTD would be ideal because I do not think a mainstream release would sell. Just my two cents.

If it was not the "Standing Room Only" LP and they would create an album what do you guys think the tracklist would look like?

Burning Love

FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

It is my understanding that the "SRO" album.... which was also, I believe, the original working title for EOT.... was shuttered at the last minute in favor of the MSG recording(s) to try and capitalize on the historic NYC shows. RCA even reused the same cover art from the abandoned SRO album.... which accounts for the incorrect photo on front of the MSG album.

Not that many of Elvis' albums were "photographically correct".... or current either, for that matter.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

FrankieRider2 wrote:RCA even reused the same cover art from the abandoned SRO album.... which accounts for the incorrect photo on front of the MSG album.

Not that many of Elvis' albums were "photographically correct".... or current either, for that matter.
Still...it is a very cool live album cover shot.

drjohncarpenter

FrankieRider2 wrote:Not that many of Elvis' albums were "photographically correct".... or current either, for that matter.
I can name only one live disc that is "correct," since 1956!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

thefunkyangel

Post by thefunkyangel »

Matthew wrote: Still...it is a very cool live album cover shot.
Taken during the opening number of the April 16th '72 afternoon show (@ Veterans Memorial Coliseum) in Jacksonville, Florida! Limo Footage w/ audio (to and from the venue) can be seen in EOT and TIE!

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

With MSG already done and Aloha in mind, On Tour as a third live release within a short period would have been overkill,..so the idea was dropped.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

bajo

Post by bajo »

The SRO album has been discussed in here before. The tracks can be found on the Burning Love album, released a few years back. The live tracks on there were february Las Vegas recordings.
As such there were never a live On Tour album in the planning as far as I recall. And as such the MSG track listings are close to those of the april tour. Now we've had the concert from the tour on Close Up.
We are eagerly awaiting more On Tour audio (and video) released!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Burning Love

Post by Burning Love »

I am not to sure how acuate it might be to say the original track listing for the SRO album was the same as the recently released 'Burning Love' CD., As I recall the UK book 'Elvis The Illistrated Record' by Mick Farren and Roy Carr. was the first time I read that this aborted album would have the contents that is now the 'Burning Love' CD.

With that being said in Joe Tunzzi's excellent sessions 3 he does list a poposed track list along with the paper work that canceling the LP. Even though that paper work does not list the contents he does propose a different track list one, which is a compilation of live songs, all of were done at the 4 live concerts that were filmed for the movie. This would make more sence, as to why the album was deleated, if indeed the true contents were another live album which had songs in it that would be repeated in the MSG and Aloha concerts.

Burning Love

bajo

Post by bajo »

The Burning Love CD does NOT reflect the tracklisting of the SRO album. But, the content is in there! It was to be a 12 track LP album! The matrix no series may be found in JAT's Session books!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Ciscoking is right.

They simply had too many 'live' albums on release at the time, with many songs repeated on them.................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

An afternoon in the Garden - the first Elvis live album to feature a photo from the actual show contained on the album.

As for Standing Room Only, I feel it would have been a very strong album - i'd much rather have seen that, than Elvis Sings Burning Love And Hits From His Movies.

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rob wrote:I think the release of the Madison Square Garden LP had something to do with it.
Like I said.....

FrankieRider2

Post by FrankieRider2 »

DarrylMac wrote:
An afternoon in the Garden - the first Elvis live album to feature a photo from the actual show contained on the album.

As for Standing Room Only, I feel it would have been a very strong album - i'd much rather have seen that, than Elvis Sings Burning Love And Hits From His Movies.
Darryl, that's what I was thinking as well. The original 1969 "Elvis In Person" double album did feature some '69 Vegas shots and the 1970 "On Stage" album featured shots from that engagement, but nothing definitively cited as being taken at the exact performances. That entire ATG package was fantastic, and shows what could have easily been done regularly by RCA while Elvis was still alive if the desire for quality and the respect for Elvis' music had been there.

I agree too about the SRO album.... that schlocky budget Camden album was a shameful way to market a Top 5 hit like "Burning Love". It should have been released as part of an album of quality material.

Boy, they really burned up the live album market for 1969-1974.... almost one per year. More than that, I guess, if you take into account the albums that had some live cuts on them plus studio material.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

cdh72469

Post by cdh72469 »

I also think the SRO album was to be a combination of studio tracks, mainly from the March '72 sessions and live tracks recorded in Vegas in February '72. I know I've seen something from RCA that looked official as to a possible 12 song track listing. I may be mistaken but I think the A side was all studio and B side all live.

Always sounded very similar to the "soundtrack" to TTWII to me.

Saw Elvis in concert February 16, 1977 in Montgomery, Alabama when I was 7 years old.

Burning Love

Post by Burning Love »

I did not mean to say that the Burning Love CD contents was the same as the content that was originally listed for the RSO Album.

In the early 80s the UK Book "Elvis The IllistratedRecord" by Roy Carr and Mick Farren were the first to write in a book that the proposed track listing was to be the Live songs recorded in Vegas 72 and all of the studio masters from 72 which produced the single Burning Love.

It is just a coinsodence that the content of the recently released Burning Love CD was the same as their original track listing that was proposed by them in the book "Elvis The Illistrated Record"

I sussequently pointed out that in Tunzi's Sessions III Book he proposes a track list of all live material. This material is in a compilation with all songs recorded in the 4 live concerts. Now weather they were going to take them form the 4 live concerts is anybodies bet.

Burning Love

ronny1

Post by ronny1 »

It's interesting, I thought all my life, that the Madison Square album was released with the connection to "on Tour"... The other thing is, what really p.... me off, is the unbelievable fact that RCA never managed it, to make good quality concert videos from this shows - from the very first until the last second - that they wanted to pressed on Vinyl. Are there no one with a vision or simply the feeling that this could bring some good money in the future? I know it may be discussed a hundred times before in this board but I'm always frustrated a knew if I think on this.... Memphis 74, MSG, the first Shows in Vegas in the black karate suit...
Just some thoughts...
Ronald