Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
tcb4
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

you don t have to say you love me

Post by tcb4 »

no you don t have .... i know ... :mrgreen: .. Do you like the song ? It was one highlight in the madison square garden but not really in TTWII because he made mistake like "you dont have to belove me" & don t sing it seriously

Dusty Springfield called it a big shmaltz !! (the song is an italian classic song ). DS' version was dramatic whereas elvis version was more punchy and more "pop". how elvis came to cover the song ? because DS entered the US charts or because he heard the song on radio ? unless someone covered it just before elvis ?. Interesting to mention that DS did an album called "dusty in Memphis" with chips moman & reggie young in 1968. Was it a strategy for EP to record songs that had a good place in the charts ?

Ben

Re: you don t have to say you love me

Post by Ben »

tcb4 wrote:no you don t have .... i know ... :mrgreen: .. Do you like the song ? It was one highlight in the Madison square garden but not really in TTWII because he made mistake like "you don't have to belove me" & don t sing it seriously

Dusty Springfield called it a big shmaltz !! (the song is an Italian classic song ). DS' version was dramatic whereas Elvis version was more punchy and more "pop". how Elvis came to cover the song ? because DS entered the US charts or because he heard the song on radio ? unless someone covered it just before Elvis ?. Interesting to mention that DS did an album called "dusty in Memphis" with chips Moman & Reggie young in 1968. Was it a strategy for EP to record songs that had a good place in the charts ?
i love this song, it is one of my favorite songs ever!! it has always been one of my favorite songs even when i was only about 8 and i used to say i want it played at my funeral (don't know why, must be a funeral song lol) and then last year my Granddad died and he loved Elvis so i asked my Grandma if she would ask them to play this song when we go into the church and since then i haven't listened to it :cry: :cry: but i love it still

Rob

Post by Rob »

It is a good song. My favorite Elvis version comes from the evening of June 10, 1972.
Last edited by Rob on Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KHoots
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by KHoots »

Agreed, Rob. By a long shot for me, too. As a kid, I wore out my MSG LP primarliy on that track.

Topic author
tcb4

Post by tcb4 »

for those interested, D Springfield sang the good 12/8 song, in the dvd "Live At The Royal Albert Hall"

bajo

Post by bajo »

Sad to say, but if I'm going to listen to this, I prefer the Second To None studio version. The live version never struck me!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

tcb4 wrote:how elvis came to cover the song ? because DS entered the US charts or because he heard the song on radio ? unless someone covered it just before elvis ? ... Was it a strategy for EP to record songs that had a good place in the charts ?
Elvis very likely knew Dusty's massive 1966 hit single, and probably heard it quite a bit after finishing his work on "Spinout." Note that charting songs are most always heard on the radio.

It was an incredible year for popular music, just take a peek at some of the singles that year: 1966 Singles.

Elvis covered chart favorites throughout his career, with varying degrees of artistic and commercial success.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

My favourite of Elvis' many performances of this song is actually the original studio master. It moves at the right pace whereas a lot of the stage version were played a little too fast for my liking.

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

I like the studio version best although the ending is just a little over the top. I've always found Dusty's a little wispy, more miffed than heartbroken. Elvis really captures the desperate bottom of the lyric particularly on the second verse. He gets more carried away with the song. Some people prefer's Springfield's restraint but I think the songs need Elvis' dramatics.

Claus

Post by Claus »

tcb4 wrote: Interesting to mention that DS did an album called "dusty in Memphis" with chips moman & reggie young in 1968.
Most of Dusty In Memphis was recorded at the American Sound Studios (Springfield's final vocals were recorded in New York) but Chips Moman didn't produce it. The album was produced by Arif Mardin, Jerry Wexler and Tom Dowd.

I much prefer the MSG performance to the studio version.

drjohncarpenter

likethebike wrote:I like the studio version best although the ending is just a little over the top. I've always found Dusty's a little wispy, more miffed than heartbroken. Elvis really captures the desperate bottom of the lyric particularly on the second verse. He gets more carried away with the song. Some people prefer's Springfield's restraint but I think the songs need Elvis' dramatics.
FYI -- where Dusty is sublime, Elvis is channeling Tom Jones.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I don't prefer one over the other. Two singers, two interpetations.

FYI: I like Tom Jones. Well, his early stuff anyway.

Brad M

Post by Brad M »

I like it very much. Perfer the versions from 1970 best though!

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

I don't see Elvis doing Tom Jones here. Jones never pays attention to the pauses and power of a single word like Elvis does. The pop of Elvis' version is displayed in the fact that it reached #11 and Top Ten in Cashbox and Record World less than four years after Springfield's original. I don't find Dusty's exceedingly breathy performance sublime or even special. I think she mitigates the composition's admittedly melodramatic power.

To be harsh, Dusty Springfield is a performer whose reputation is due a serious downgrade. Her early girl group like hits "Wishin' and Hopin'" and "I Only Want to Be With You" are great as is "Son of a Preacher Man" and she doesn't f*** up on Bacharach/David's near perfect pop song "Look of Love". Most of the rest of her stuff including the vast majority of Dusty in Memphis is fairly ordinary. Even her stuff with Gamble and Huff at the reins seems more an approximation of soul than the real thing. I find her style derivative and limited in emotional, vocal and dramatic range.

I think people are so in love with the idea of her- little British girl committed to R&B recording with the big guns in the States made more appealing by the fact that she was a bit of a martyr- that they forgive her tiny number of great tracks and elevate some of her lesser tracks.

jbnva58
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by jbnva58 »

One of my faveorite Elvis songs...I remember hearing it in the car in 1970...I was totally bowled over by his interpretation.
Maybe its over the top,but the conviction with which he sings it overcomes the orchestration.
Several years ago a writer in Goldmine said his vocal spoke of a man who was ready to blow his brains out!My point exactly.That is what is unique about his singing here.

drjohncarpenter

likethebike wrote:The pop of Elvis' version is displayed in the fact that it reached #11 and Top Ten in Cashbox and Record World less than four years after Springfield's original. I don't find Dusty's exceedingly breathy performance sublime or even special.
You paint another corner case.

You may dislike Springfield, and dismiss Jones's strong influence on Elvis' singing from 1968 on, but there is no denying the huge difference between a #1 (UK) and #4 (US) hit (Dusty's 1966 single) and a #9 (UK) and #11 (US) success (Elvis' 1970 release).

RCA 47-9916 is a mighty performance by our hero, but some might argue it signaled the beginning of the end of an amazingly creative, commercially successful and exciting run of single tracks issued in the previous two years -- "If I Can Dream," "In The Ghetto," "Suspicious Minds," "Don't Cry Daddy," and "Kentucky Rain" -- almost all culled from his American Sound sessions in 1969.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

I don't dismiss that Jones had an influence on Elvis. Elvis was a listener and Jones was a favorite of his during these years. However, even at his most subtle Elvis was never just mocking Jones. His phrasing always had more country, more gospel and even at his most bombastic more subtlety.

I realize that it's a corner case about Springfield. I don't mind that. I feel some performers and records need to move up in estimation or downwards. I throw it down. You answer. We're talking and thinking about it.

I believe the chart position on Elvis' record was strong because the Springfield was so popular so recently and it wasn't a complete reinvention like Marvin Gaye's "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" which may as well have been a new record. It also didn't benefit from being the flip of an extremely popular song like Aretha's "I Say a Little Prayer". What's more, Elvis' previous 45 was only a modest hit. All that considered it did pretty well.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

A very good song!

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Mike Eder »

I like something fresh Like "I've Lost You" better, but I heard this on a plane flight once and it was so exciting to hear a lesser known Elvis song unexpectedly.Not bad at all.

Mike Eder

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

drjohncarpenter wrote:You paint another corner case.
I've come across this 'corner case' reference before, but don't know what it means...................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Suspicious Minds
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Suspicious Minds »

I like both versions. Elvis version has a faster backing music and sounded better for that.

Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

ImageImageImage

Rob

Post by Rob »

I like this song (as I mentioned earlier), but they play it WAY too much on Sirius Satellite Radio.

Topic author
tcb4

Post by tcb4 »

Anybody knows who else sang the song ? thanx

elvis1977br
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by elvis1977br »

Listen to the new Shelby Lynn´s cd , with Dusty´s classics , superb.

Life is messy
I feel like Elvis Presley
At a very early age
They put you in a cage
And they push you out on stage
Life is messy

Rodney Crowell - Life Is Messy

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Rob wrote:I like this song (as I mentioned earlier), but they play it WAY too much on Sirius Satellite Radio.
Maybe you should write a formal complaint to the FCC - if you are correct, things have gotten way out of hand.