Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis fights to ban book that tells all..

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:24 am

Yes Nathan. But if we go there no one is going to have a clue what we are taling about and it is off topic.

But lets go there quickly. For those interested Nathan is one of two sons of Gary Ablett (The other Gary Jr) that played in the winning 2007 AFL Grand Final.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:29 am

The fact is thought, they did write the book. It wrecked Elvis, and he died shortly after.

Nothing we say or do can change that.

So why wonder what if?

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:45 am

He did not die because of the book. And unlike some fans, Elvis would have forgiven and forgotten long ago had he not died.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:49 am

Elvis Australia wrote:He did not die because of the book. And unlike some fans, Elvis would have forgiven and forgotten long ago had he not died.

I agree that he did not died because of the book (but doubt if he would have forgiven that easily...)
Anyhow, to give you an idea of how this book was received, here's an article from '77:

Elvis Presley: Junk, junk food junk prose (pulpitations for all)
Mick Farren, NME, 15 October 1977

Red West, Sonny West, Dave Hebler, as told to Steve Dunleavy: Elvis – What Happened?
THERE'S SOMETHING morbidly fascinating about reading the intimate details of how the unique freak out in the face of their uniqueness. Whether it's Hitler throwing fits in the bunker, or Caligula's idea of a good time, we just have to know what it's like. There's not much social merit in this kind of literature. I suppose you could say it reveals that the adored and powerful are as fallible as the rest of us, but mostly it's just voyeurism at a distance.

This particular epic concerns the decline and fall of Elvis Presley. It was written and even published in the USA before his death. The Presley demise must have provided a heaven sent windfall for everyone fiscally concerned with the book. It also throws a cold light on the man's bizarre and destructive lifestyle. This is a gift for the ghoul inside all of us.

Hebler and the two West cousins were in an ideal position to observe Presley's descent into downers and egomania. Between them, they guarded Presley, from the very earliest days on the Southern back road circuits to just about a year before his death. Amid constant reiteration of how much the three body-guards love and admire Elvis, they recite a detailed catalogue of his aberrant behaviour.

They tell of his introduction to amphetamines, graduation to downers, the constant flow of women, his obsession with guns, his spoilt brat certainty in his infallibility, the break-up of his marriage and his belief that he possessed supernatural power.

Earlier this year, the book was serialised in the Sun. Whoever adapted it for Rupert Murdoch couldn't have had too much work to do. The entire 332 pages are written in high speed, Sun speak, idiot read. It's unashamed scandal, and makes no real pretentions to being anything else. It's probably as well. If there was any claim to literacy merit it would be doubly tacky.

As it is, the reader's left in no doubt that he or she is simply revelling in first-hand gossip.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:59 am

Interesting article Ecat. Thanks for posting. I've still yet to get a copy of the book.

Will eventually. The copes i've found on ebay (far an inbetwee) have been real expensive to say the least. Definitley one I want to have in the collection.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:10 am

Brad M wrote:Interesting article Ecat. Thanks for posting. I've still yet to get a copy of the book.
Will eventually. The copes i've found on ebay (far an inbetwee) have been real expensive to say the least. Definitley one I want to have in the collection.

Essential indeed !

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:17 am

Interesting thread.

Just one quick, but important, note ....

Generally speaking, Psychology / Psychiatry are protosciences ..... meaning they still retain elements of pseudoscience that various well intentioned but uninformed practitioners continue to utilize / put stock in ....... today. (Oh, & btw, ..... for "Doubting Thomases", don't misunderstand this to be another "armchair" opinion on an Elvis MB.)

One case in point is psychotherapy / analysis ................... which I equate to the modern equivalent of witch doctoring.

For a number of reasons, .... I don't put much stock, myself, in some "subdisciplines" of these fields.

At any rate, & back on-topic:

This book caused countless sleepless nights and many up-n-downs for our hero during his last year / days.

From a Psychological standpoint, ..... EP's circumstances could best be understood by studying the roller coaster stages the Kubler-Ross Grieving Cycle, with 5 main stages:

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

These occur with any catastrophic personal crisis, so that an individual can cope. EP was as human as all of us and was on this up-n-down ride:

EP's Case:
1. EP experienced this stage throughout, he also had for years prior to any book.
2-3-4. EP would experience these in stronger, repetitive / multiple sequences, after the book prospect appeared, but was also dealing with them earlier than the book. (The 4th was also an innate trait of The Presleys, book or no book.)
5. He never was able to work his way to the 5th, because the Denial stage just proved to be an insuperable one for our hero.

In summary: EP was working his way through this, on a number of levels, both before & after the book.

The book challenge would not have made a difference even if it had come several years earlier. The result would have been the same -----> it serving as a catalase precipitating another premature crash.

The ONLY factor that would have been different would be that some of the key players ("lifers") would have still been in place to - yet again - pick up the pieces and save EP from himself, This, however, would have only further delayed the inevitable (without any substantive & professional intervention / detox.).

EP was self-destructive and even admitted as much to Linda Thompson in a glaring rare moment of honest self-candor. EP removing the key "lifers" (The Wests / Linda) was the pivotal moment EP took a quick detour on the fast track towards what happened on 8-16-77. (Incidently, the key lifers were removed because they were confrontiong E with his denial - The Wests - and EP just got tired of Linda and wanted something new; EP always did what he wanted to do, a damn the consequences.)

The book was just another factor that EP, in the end, ......... caused as a direct consequence of his denial. This whole subject is a case of the fandom thinking emotionally, shooting the messengers, scapegoating ........... & conveniently forgetting in the process that everything in the book .............. was true (& EP knew it ............... trust me on this ..... EP knew it, too).

JMO, .... but some of the fandom remains as deluded today, as EP was back in '76-'77 (this book, heart attack death, etc.).

Like I said, ............ a fascinating thread, ..... on a number of levels.

-----------------------

Enjoy his Legacy - The Music, .... & take home approriate lessons from his life, ..... and ENJOY yours with a better understanding of both.

All my best,

N8
... just a fan ....

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:48 am

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

When you think about these 5 steps and try and think of Elvis' life with these as his life wore on, it makes sense.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:26 pm

I thought the five steps were the phases that a terminally ill patient went through.

Well, that's how they were presented in All That Jazz !

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Dan_T wrote:... they could of at least threatened Elvis with a "Tell All Book" there's one challenge right there.

You honestly believe Elvis in 1976 would have responded to that as a "challenge"? Please. He would have had them tossed into the street, pronto, denying any and all charges.

Dan_T wrote:They didn't give him a single chance did they,and I'm not talking about before they left,I mean once they were fired.

Not one? I disagree. There was a very long phone call with Red in October 1976 -- about nine months before the biography was published by Ballantine Books.

Elvis could have said the right things then. Red gave him several opportunities to do so. But Elvis did not.

One thing that stands out when actually hearing the tape is that they still cared about each other. The book transcription isn't exact and seems to make the call sound more heated or perhaps more terse. That Red recorded the tape without permission and used it wasn't the most ethical thing, but the content does make a case that these two men really did still have a connection.

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:47 pm

N880EP wrote:From a Psychological standpoint, ..... EP's circumstances could best be understood by studying the roller coaster stages the Kubler-Ross Grieving Cycle, with 5 main stages:

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

These occur with any catastrophic personal crisis, so that an individual can cope. EP was as human as all of us and was on this up-n-down ride:

Thanks Bodie and Dan-T.

And a fantastic post N8! There is so much truth in your post.

It hurts to think though that Elvis was apparently contemplating acceptance, according to the MM-book (Fike, Smith and Lacker), but only if and when he was booed by the audience. If only...

Edit:... hmmm, that could still be seen as bargaining.... bugger....

Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:56 pm

Another posing photo from the same event .
Seems David Hebler has his name on his polo shirt..

Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:18 pm

E-Cat wrote:Another posing photo from the same event .
Seems David Hebler has his name on his polo shirt..

The look on Dave Hebler's face say's it all ..

Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:53 pm

Interestingn photo to say the least.

Would not want to get on these guys bad side then. 8)

Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:52 am

Thank you Pep for your polite reply and explanation via PM.
Last edited by Elvis_Priestly on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:26 am

Well, let's just not insult fellow members and value what each member brings to the board.

And Doc, obviously well educated when it comes to Elvis knows his stuff and is always the easy target!

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:18 pm

Brad M wrote:Well, let's just not insult fellow members and value what each member brings to the board.

Well, that goes both ways of course; but as I see it there was no need to delete the posts - and it would be nice for Elvis Priestly, and courteous of the admins, to send a pm and explain the deletion

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:07 am

Brad M wrote:And Doc, obviously well educated when it comes to Elvis knows his stuff and is always the easy target!

Brad M you are both kind and wise. Thank you for the support.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:26 am

Thanks for the excellent post N880EP 8)