Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Ginger Alden's auctioning her own Elvis items

Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:38 am

While i've admired Ginger in many ways, the keeping and subsequent sale of a half-used cigar is strange
Rick

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:28 am

rickeap wrote:While i've admired Ginger in many ways, the keeping and subsequent sale of a half-used cigar is strange
Rick

I think the reason alot of the people who were around Elvis in the final year or so did not like Ginger because she was not a "yes" to everything Elvis said or wanted. She told him what she did and did not want to do, and would say No to him. People around him, and himself was not use to that I think and thats where alot of the problems came in their relationship. I like her. She was put in a bad position, to try and keep Elvis alive. That wasn't her job, should could'nt help it, Elvis had to help himself. Thats why I hate reading where fans blame Ginger for this or that when they should really be blaming E himself sometimes.

Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:50 pm

BradM I'm not blaming Ginger for any of Elvis' decline, just wondering why she would souvenir a half-used cigar and keep it for 30 years and then sell it
Rick

Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:44 am

Maybe she thought someone would come along someday that wanted to smoke what's left of it!

Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:57 pm

Brad M wrote:
rickeap wrote:While i've admired Ginger in many ways, the keeping and subsequent sale of a half-used cigar is strange
Rick

I think the reason alot of the people who were around Elvis in the final year or so did not like Ginger because she was not a "yes" to everything Elvis said or wanted. She told him what she did and did not want to do, and would say No to him. People around him, and himself was not use to that I think and thats where alot of the problems came in their relationship. I like her. She was put in a bad position, to try and keep Elvis alive. That wasn't her job, should could'nt help it, Elvis had to help himself. Thats why I hate reading where fans blame Ginger for this or that when they should really be blaming E himself sometimes.

I am not blaming Ginger for anything to do with Elvis' addictions or health. Don't include me in whatever group of people support that idea.

Ginger was his girlfriend. As his girlfriend, I do not feel she was in love with Elvis nor do I feel she was emotionally supportive of him. I think she was swept up in the "omgit'sreallyelvisandI'mdatinghim" phenomenon. I think her family (mother) was probably more interested in Elvis than Ginger was.

Ginger was involved with Elvis for nine months. And during that time, she (imo) was not all that into him.

Think about it. What was the attraction? That he was Elvis.. a legend, a super-entertainer? Or that he was a bloated, overweight, pill-addicted man 21 years older than herself?

I believe that Priscilla loved him. I believe that Linda loved him. I do not believe Ginger loved him.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:09 pm

Very nice..

This oil painting was in Elvis Presley's trophy room at Graceland in 1977. Elvis took Ginger on a tour of the trophy room and stopped to admire this oil painting. He was exceptionally proud of the Lisa Marie and this particular artist's rendering of it. He singled it out as a gift to Ginger. This painting comes with a letter of authenticity from Ginger Alden. Oil on canvas board, framed. Painting: 18 x 24, frame: 22 3/4 x 28 3/4"

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:33 pm

Vissie wrote:Think about it. What was the attraction? That he was Elvis.. a legend, a super-entertainer? Or that he was a bloated, overweight, pill-addicted man 21 years older than herself?

So you're implying that no-one could possibly love him for himself? (As a friendly loveable human being).
I do not believe Ginger loved him

Again how could you possibly know?

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:38 pm

Mike S wrote:
Vissie wrote:Think about it. What was the attraction? That he was Elvis.. a legend, a super-entertainer? Or that he was a bloated, overweight, pill-addicted man 21 years older than herself?

So you're implying that no-one could possibly love him for himself? (As a friendly loveable human being).

My post was very clear and easy to understand.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:57 pm

Vissie wrote:
Mike S wrote:

It suggests to me that just because you've read a few books, you now rate yourself as someone who is 'in the know.' In truth none of us can do anything more than guess, but it is vital that we understand that it is just a guess.

As we weren't there, we can't possibly make these kind of judgements.

Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:06 pm

Mike S wrote:
Vissie wrote:
Mike S wrote:

It suggests to me that just because you've read a few books, you now rate yourself as someone who is 'in the know.' In truth none of us can do anything more than guess, but it is vital that we understand that it is just a guess.

As we weren't there, we can't possibly make these kind of judgements.

Mike, you can say whatever you like, it's your opinion.

I stand by my post.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 am

It wasn't possible to love Elvis in 1977?

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:06 am

Rick

Not really. I kept a half-used cigar of Milton Berle's when we were in a small group in Elvis' suite following the Elvis Stamp Ceremony at the Las Vegas Hilton, just the Postmaster General and the celebrities unveiling the stamps. I had just met him and his wife and he left it in the ashtray, and he was somebody special. I did not keep it to sell it, that was a farthest thought from my mind.

Later on, I forgot why I had it and threw it away.

I think Elvis' half-used cigar would be interesting because it has his DNA on it.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:09 am

Somebody. please, finish smoking that damn cigar!

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:48 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:It wasn't possible to love Elvis in 1977?

Exactly.

It's yet another unbelieveably foolish and arrogant remark from someone who is in no position to know.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:43 pm

Mike S wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:It wasn't possible to love Elvis in 1977?

Exactly.

It's yet another unbelieveably foolish and arrogant remark from someone who is in no position to know.

Thank you, Mike.

Ginger loved Elvis deeply, and one of the most poignant things I've heard is that, for Ginger, every Christmas since 1977 has been a sad occasion because that's when they were supposed to get married. If there was ever a case of "Don't criticize until you've walked in their shoes," that is it. They have no idea.

By the way, I related to a friend that Ginger never took her makeup off when she slept with Elvis, and therefore had not just gotten made up before she called for help, and he told me that in interviews with the paramedics on the scene, Ginger was still in her nightgown when they arrived.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:07 pm

Memphis Flash wrote: They have no idea.

Quite.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence would know that after nine months, it's inconceivable that their relationship wasn't a loving one.

Thanks for your thoughts and efforts to set the record straight.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:09 pm

Such interesting posts!

I stand by mine ;)

Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:26 pm

A couple of comments:

First, Ginger is naturally private, always has been, always will be. She only agreed to give an interview to the National Enquirer when they told her they had amassed information about her and Elvis from other sources and planned to go with a story with or without her cooperation. Naturally she became concerned and wanted it to be as accurate as possible.

Bill Burk wrote that a source at NE confided they DID get a call from Memphis after Elvis died. But it was not from Ginger, but from a man who lived, at the time, in Memphis. Someone should pursue just who that might be. I never thought about it until right this second, but could that have been Dick Grob perhaps?

Second, as if anyone needed more confirmation of how private Ginger is, she did not even tell her son that she knew Elvis, even when he mentioned Elvis' name when he was about 11 years old. All she said at that time was that Elvis was not only a great entertainer but a very wonderful person.

It wasn't until the following year, the year of the big 25th anniversary, when Ginger feared he would hear about it from someone at school, that, with her husband's approval, she sat Hunter down before school and told him, "Mommy was engaged to Elvis. We were supposed to get married but he died before we could marry." He must have thought about it all day at school, because when she met him at the school bus stop, he bounded off the bus with a cheery, "Hello Mrs. Presley!"

Third, a now-Pulitzer-Prize winning newspaper reporter, Michael D. Sallah - who Bill Burk correctly labeled a "pussy" - tried to blackmail Ginger into giving him an interview, saying his paper's (The Toledo Blade) years-long-planned expose' of Dick Grob hinged on her talking to him. If Ginger didn't talk to him, he would not print the expose' but instead would run Grob's claim that Ginger failed to help Elvis.

Ginger refused and would not talk to him, even to defend her own name. The blackmail attempt was stunning, inasmuch as 5 years earlier, when Grob's book was in the Toledo Public Library, policemen who had been on the force with Grob started calling the newspaper saying his book was full of lies, that Grob had washed out of the Air Force Academy his first year, before joining the Toledo Police Department. The editor wanted to hold off on the story until the next big anniversary some 4 1/2 years later.

Bill Burk had talked many hours to Sallah, and gave him "enough information to fill every page" of the newspaper. Sandy Miller Silverberg confirmed, but would not allow to be printed, that she was there on the back patio of Graceland when Vernon fired Grob. At that time he had a camera around his neck! Vernon had suspected Grob was selling photos of Graceland.

Sallah was told about Grob trashing his own about-to-be-repossessed model home and about a August 16 arson in Las Vegas. He heard all about the bogus items offered at the big Hard Rock Cafe auction - bogus because a musical art print "signed" by Elvis was copyrighted 1980 or later. Yet his front-page story was a whitewash, with the headline, "Presley's Toledo Bodyguard Raises Questions About Death."

Only when the paper received complaints about the whitewash did Sallah print another article a week or so later detailing a few of the things he should have printed in the first place. Through it all, Ginger held firm and never spoke to him at all.

I pleaded for Ginger to talk to Peter Guralnick, but she refused. When she finally agreed to give Andrew Hearn an "interview" it was not one-on-one but questions submitted in writing and answered in writing - so there could be no misunderstanding.

She is an amazing young woman who has been lied about and vilified most of her life and yet comports herself with such dignity and grace. A former member of this board started out as a Ginger hater and is now a Ginger defender because of all the things she learned.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:39 pm

Memphis, it's admirable that you would take the time to post such a lengthy and informative missive. It's one more treatment that can be added to the mix of published stories.

A question...

Who other than Ginger can corroborate that she was actually engaged to Elvis? Indeed he did give her a lovely ring, that is true.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:07 pm

Vissie wrote:Memphis, it's admirable that you would take the time to post such a lengthy and informative missive. It's one more treatment that can be added to the mix of published stories.

A question...

Who other than Ginger can corroborate that she was actually engaged to Elvis? Indeed he did give her a lovely ring, that is true.

Hmm, interviews with Lowell Hayes and on Lowell Hayes' website. A Ladies Home Journal with Vernon where he mentioned Elis was engaged to Ginger. Kathy can probably corroborate it. There must be others as well. I never thought about it.

One thing I have noticed about Elvis is that sometimes conflicting stories are both true. I have heard Elvis say a few things on tape that we know to be incorrect. if we can't trust what we hear from the lips of the man himself, what hope is there for the rest of us?

Case in point, whether Elvis was going to marry Ginger. Some people swear Elvis told them he was not going to marry her, and I accept that they may be telliing the truth. But it may not be the whole truth. For instance, in the Globe article that we intended to counter the Goldman/Stanley book that claimed Elvis committed suicide because he was impotent - Kathy knew he wasn't, and Dr. Nick knew too, because he walked in on them just before Ginger flew in during the last tour - Kathy quotes Elvis saying, "Ginger and I just don't belong together," he said, "It's you I need, Kathy." (The Globe did not mention the impotence claim, or Dr. Nick; mostly, they just wanted to write about the "sweet love story" in her book, which I sent them only to prove who she was.)

And yet, Kathy is very clear in interviews that although Elvis and Ginger were having problems, "He really wanted to make that work." So I believe he probably did tell Billy Smith or whoever that they weren't going to get married, but I also believe Ginger's account that they planned a Christmas wedding, just as she related to Albert Goldman.

Unlike Linda, who was very friendly with the guys, Elvis did not want Ginger to talk to the guys. And she was shy anyway. So of course they have no particular reason to care for her, she was their competition for his time and attention.

Think of what June Juanico related in her book: When she backtalked to Elvis, he made a big show to the guys of taking June into a bathroom "to have a good talk with her." Instead, he was sweet and gentle and apologized. So a lot of these contradictions are because of Elvis himself. Only he knows what he really felt, and when.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:32 am

Rick

I don't think it's so strange. I think it relates to EP's larger-than-life image (both on and off stage) and, if anything, shows that Ginger had some genuine feelings for EP and was sentimental. (If it were anything else, she wouldn't have hung on to it for over 30 years).

I wouldn't buy it, but knowing how The EP World is, .............. somebody definitely will.

-------------------------

E-Cat,

Agreed, nice painting.

-------------------------

As for Ginger selling some of her items ----> ...... they are just t-h-i-n-g-s (this is best understood by those who own for many years) and if nobody ever sells, then there is ultimately nothing more to ever buy (for the hardcore fans). It's a slow, perpetual cycle ..... that will continue for as long as Elvis is remembered / there are fans who appreciate The Man & His Music.

All my best, ....

N8
... just a fan ....

Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:56 pm

The results of the Auction

Elvis Unlimited can exclusively report that the Elvis portion of the auction in Vegas was quite successful Sunday. Only two lots did not sell. One was the library card with the oldest known Elvis signature which we already mentioned. The other was a diamond and gold pendant from Ginger Alden's collection. The estimated selling price was between $40,000 and $50,000 US dollars for the pendant.

The 29 Elvis items up for auction brought in a total sum of $305,400.00 US dollars! The Ram head necklace from Ginger Alden's collection sold for $90,000.00 US dollars. It was estimated to sell for $90,000.00 to $100,000.00. Ginger says Elvis gave this to her at Graceland and told her to always wear it with something black.

Elvis' Viva Las Vegas jacket was estimated to sell for $60,000.00 to $80,000.00. It brought in $42,500.00 US dollars.Far less than estimated. The next two highest selling items came in at a tie. They sold for exactly $20,000.00 US dollars. The first piece was Elvis' Speedway costume. It was estimated to sell for $18,000.00 to $24,000.00. The second piece was from Ginger Alden's collection. Elvis' Abalone and Mother-of-Pearl Crucifix. This was estimated to sell for $5,000 to $7,000 US dollars. This piece came in much higher than expected by the auction house. While the Speedway suit came in just around what was expected.

Elvis' handwritten set list had an estimated price of $6,000 to $8,000. It sold for $19,000.00 US dollars. Elvis' karate GI signed by Kang Rhee in both English and Korean was estimated to sell for $18,000.00 to $25,000.00. It sold for $13,000.00 US dollars. The exercise bike once owned by Elvis sold for $12,000.00. It was estimated to sell for much less, between $4,000.00 and $6,000.00 US dollars. It is astonishing that for the same price, you could have purchased a much more attractive piece of jewelry which sold at the same price.

Elvis' Black Star Sapphire Ring which was estimated to sell for $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 sold for $12,000.00 US dollars. This item was from Ginger Alden's collection. Also from Elvis' last girlfriend, was Handwritten Notes on Numerology. These were set at an estimated value of $15,000.00 to $20,000.00. This sold for $9,000.00 US dollars. A little less then expected.

The next piece has been listed on eBay a few times but never sold for the asking price. Yet it sold for much more than the estimated value of $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 US dollars. This is an oil painting of Elvis' Lisa Marie plane which was hung in the trophy room at Graceland. It was part of Ginger's collection and went for $8,000.00 US dollars.

Coming in at $7,500.00 US dollars are two more Elvis items. One was Elvis' Concho-Style Belt from the Ginger Alden collection. It was estimated to sell for $14,000.00 to $18,000.00. Again less then expected.The second was a stage worn shirt in 1956 which estimated to sell for $7,000.00 US dollars to $10,000.00. So this item came in at the low end of the estimated price. This came with a COA from an Elvis Presley Museum.

A tan leather fur trimmed jacket bought from Lansky Brothers had an estimated value of $5,000.00 to $7,000.00 US dollars. The jacket came with a COA from Mike McGregor. It sold for $5,750.00 US dollars. Another item coming in at the low end of the estimated value.

Elvis' denim jacket said to be from the film, Loving You had an estimated value of $10,000 and $15,000 US dollars. It sold for much less at $4,500.00 US dollars. A guitar pick from Elvis' New Year's Eve show in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on December 31, 1976 was estimated at $700.00 and $900.00 US dollars. It went for a whopping $4,000.00 US dollars.

The lowest selling item, aside from the two UNSOLD items was Four Elvis Presley Concert Stickers. These were from the Ginger Alden collection. The estimated value was $800 to $1,200 US dollars. They sold for $500.00 US dollars.

Source

See more photos from the auction and read exclusive reports from the auction in issue number 2 of Elvis Unlimited for 2008. Remember you read this first at Elvis Unlimited!

Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:21 pm

Random quick thoughts, below, in bold:

Little Darlin wrote:The results of the Auction

Elvis Unlimited can exclusively report that the Elvis portion of the auction in Vegas was quite successful Sunday. Only two lots did not sell. One was the library card with the oldest known Elvis signature which we already mentioned. The other was a diamond and gold pendant from Ginger Alden's collection. The estimated selling price was between $40,000 and $50,000 US dollars for the pendant.

Not surprised about the "early" signature not selling for asking price.

The 29 Elvis items up for auction brought in a total sum of $305,400.00 US dollars! The Ram head necklace from Ginger Alden's collection sold for $90,000.00 US dollars. It was estimated to sell for $90,000.00 to $100,000.00. Ginger says Elvis gave this to her at Graceland and told her to always wear it with something black.

Famous piece, lots of hardcore collectors on the hunt ..... for years.

Elvis' Viva Las Vegas jacket was estimated to sell for $60,000.00 to $80,000.00. It brought in $42,500.00 US dollars.Far less than estimated. The next two highest selling items came in at a tie. They sold for exactly $20,000.00 US dollars. The first piece was Elvis' Speedway costume. It was estimated to sell for $18,000.00 to $24,000.00. The second piece was from Ginger Alden's collection. Elvis' Abalone and Mother-of-Pearl Crucifix. This was estimated to sell for $5,000 to $7,000 US dollars. This piece came in much higher than expected by the auction house. While the Speedway suit came in just around what was expected.

Crucifix had huge appeal to hardcore / religious fans.

Elvis' handwritten set list had an estimated price of $6,000 to $8,000. It sold for $19,000.00 US dollars. Elvis' karate GI signed by Kang Rhee in both English and Korean was estimated to sell for $18,000.00 to $25,000.00. It sold for $13,000.00 US dollars. The exercise bike once owned by Elvis sold for $12,000.00. It was estimated to sell for much less, between $4,000.00 and $6,000.00 US dollars. It is astonishing that for the same price, you could have purchased a much more attractive piece of jewelry which sold at the same price.

Fascinating, on a number of levels.

Elvis' Black Star Sapphire Ring which was estimated to sell for $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 sold for $12,000.00 US dollars. This item was from Ginger Alden's collection. Also from Elvis' last girlfriend, was Handwritten Notes on Numerology. These were set at an estimated value of $15,000.00 to $20,000.00. This sold for $9,000.00 US dollars. A little less then expected.

Numerology notes, I expected to go for around 10 grand. DEFINITELY GENUINE (for those on this board who say legit pieces are NEVER identified).

The next piece has been listed on eBay a few times but never sold for the asking price. Yet it sold for much more than the estimated value of $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 US dollars. This is an oil painting of Elvis' Lisa Marie plane which was hung in the trophy room at Graceland. It was part of Ginger's collection and went for $8,000.00 US dollars.

I knew it would go for more than the estimate ----> wink!

Coming in at $7,500.00 US dollars are two more Elvis items. One was Elvis' Concho-Style Belt from the Ginger Alden collection. It was estimated to sell for $14,000.00 to $18,000.00. Again less then expected.The second was a stage worn shirt in 1956 which estimated to sell for $7,000.00 US dollars to $10,000.00. So this item came in at the low end of the estimated price. This came with a COA from an Elvis Presley Museum.

A tan leather fur trimmed jacket bought from Lansky Brothers had an estimated value of $5,000.00 to $7,000.00 US dollars. The jacket came with a COA from Mike McGregor. It sold for $5,750.00 US dollars. Another item coming in at the low end of the estimated value.

Some of these clothing items (not from The Alden Collection) are ........... (JMO) ........ questionable.

Elvis' denim jacket said to be from the film, Loving You had an estimated value of $10,000 and $15,000 US dollars. It sold for much less at $4,500.00 US dollars. A guitar pick from Elvis' New Year's Eve show in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on December 31, 1976 was estimated at $700.00 and $900.00 US dollars. It went for a whopping $4,000.00 US dollars.

Lots of "multiple originals" with movie clothing.

Guitar pick went for more due to venue association. Huge appeal to hardcore fans, especially w/ audio / visual footage widely available from the event.

The lowest selling item, aside from the two UNSOLD items was Four Elvis Presley Concert Stickers. These were from the Ginger Alden collection. The estimated value was $800 to $1,200 US dollars. They sold for $500.00 US dollars.

Not so rare.

Rare auction of some great primary source items with practically unquestionable provenance.

N8
... just a fan ....

Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:57 pm

Just curious what jacket was auctioned from "Viva Las Vegas"? I watched the auction and I did not see this. Can someone post of photo of the jacket that was sold? I can't believe I missed that. Thanks

Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:07 pm

Aren't those 1970's fans a silly bunch?