Topic author
elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Ginger Alden's auctioning her own Elvis items

Post by elvis4life »

Brad M

Re: Ginger Alden's auctioning her own Elvis items

Post by Brad M »

She saved a half smoked cigar Elvis put out at her mothers house.

Come on..you can tell what they were about. $$$$$$

Wouldn't mind having those items though :lol:

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by TJ »

Brad M wrote:She saved a half smoked cigar Elvis put out at her mothers house.

Come on..you can tell what they were about. $$$$$$
So much so that they waited over 30 yrs to sell it? If they had truly been all about the dollars, they sure as hell would have milked the Elvis association more than they have, particularly given Ginger's unique position of being the last person to see him alive. Where's the tell all book from Ginger? She was perfectly placed to write the kind of book that the tabloids would have paid the big bucks to serialise in the past, but for the most part she has kept a very low profile. For that reason, I've always thought she's ok.

Brad M

Post by Brad M »

I thought it was harsh when her mother sued The estate because Elvis promised them a swimming pool or something can't recall all the details..maybe it was her mother that was greedy and about the dollar and not so much Ginger. But I don't see why she would want to get rid of that stuff. You think it would be somewhat sentimental to her..

Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

This in my eyes,has got to be called scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4904204

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by TJ »

Brad M wrote:I thought it was harsh when her mother sued The estate because Elvis promised them a swimming pool or something can't recall all the details..maybe it was her mother that was greedy and about the dollar and not so much Ginger. But I don't see why she would want to get rid of that stuff. You think it would be somewhat sentimental to her..
On the surface, that did seem quite damning. However, I read the account of exactly why they sued and it made good sense to me and seemed quite acceptable. Can't remember all the details now, but I think they would have been in debt for a gift that Elvis had insisted on giving them if they hadn't sued. The real problem was Vernon not abiding by his son's wishes.

As for getting rid of the stuff, well who knows. Maybe money is tight.

Brad M

Post by Brad M »

TJ wrote:
As for getting rid of the stuff, well who knows. Maybe money is tight.
Could possible be..

I will say Ginger was one of the most gergious girls Elvis dated...now thats just my opinion.

:wink:

E-Cat
Registered for: 21 years

Post by E-Cat »

Brad M wrote: I will say Ginger was one of the most gergious girls Elvis dated...now thats just my opinion.

why do you think that Brad...just curious... :)

Please do not thank me--- Thank Elvis for making THIS happen.

Brad M

Post by Brad M »

Well the photo's you've just posted proves my statement true! Atleast to me anyways!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :smt007

N880EP

Post by N880EP »

More power to Ginger for holding on to these items for so long, and now moving on.

In the end, fellow fans, ... these kinds of items ..... are just things. This will also be a rare opportunity for fans to pick-up some unquestionable genuine pieces directly from a primary source. There are unlikely to be many more opportunities like this, unless EPE / Graceland decides to have another garage sell (which I think is always a possibility, for a number of reasons).

-----------------------------

On another note:

I find this incredibly sad ....

"Elvis Presley was on a serious spiritual journey before his death and he was working through his thoughts on these two sheets of yellow stationery written August 6th 1977. It is a combination of numerology and Elvis' attempts to decode the hidden meaning in word construction to explain the spiritual core meaning of these words. Elvis had come to visit Ginger's parents and to check on two trees he had planted at their home just ten days before his untimely and tragic passing. In discussing numerology with Ginger and her sister Rosemary, he wrote these pages as part of the discussion."

The Numerology notes (an obsession of E's, but definitely nothing worthy of "serious" intellectual study / consideration) / Crystal Black Star Sapphire (another obsession, with supposed meanings behind minerals / colors) / etc. ...... ALL typify one man's own imperceptible slide deeper into superstition & darkness (something that should also be remembered here - Larry Geller wholeheartedly encouraged this kind of nonsense, too).

This kind of (non)thinking, only served to buttress the huge wall of denial that EP had slowly constructed around himself over the years, especially as the 70's wore on ...... making it, in the end, ............... an insuperable one for our hero.

I know many may be unable to see the connection, ......... but it is there, nevertheless, ..... and it was a HUGE contributing factor to what happened on 8-16-77, ..... because it allowed EP to pretend - everyday - that things were OK & gonna get better.

-----------------------------

Ginger's got some neat things, though.

I kinda like the N880EP painting!

All my best, ....

N8
... just a fan ....

PS - The Last Hawaiian Vacation Crucifix story is quintessential EP-Owned Item Legend, a broken item that EP kept, and one that has a very touching story intertwined in its history.

PS-squared - Now, with more genuine writing samples on the market for fabricators to climb The Learning Curve with ............. expect some more "novel" (pun intended) items to come crawling out of the woodwork in the coming months / years (copying, stroke for stroke, detail for detail, .... some of the stuff from this auction). As predictable as the stars moving thru the heavans (pun intended).

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

What's nonsense to one is no nonsense to someone else.
There are millions who believe what is written in a book is true and should not even be questioned. There are millions who say what is written in a book is utterly nonsense.
Elvis explored the spiritual side of life. Why shouldn't he? Why should it be regarded as his sliding downhill or hiding from the truth?

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Brad M wrote:I thought it was harsh when her mother sued The estate because Elvis promised them a swimming pool or something can't recall all the details..maybe it was her mother that was greedy and about the dollar and not so much Ginger. But I don't see why she would want to get rid of that stuff. You think it would be somewhat sentimental to her..
Let's be fair here.

Ginger's mother had taken on a financial committment with a mortgage because Elvis promised he would foot the bill.

Elvis died.

She asked Vernon & the executors for the cash & they said they were legally powerless & the only way she could progress the matter was to sue.

She did, but as there was nothing in writing, she lost.

Not greedy, just trying to get out of the financial mess that Elvis [inadvertently] left her in by dying when he did.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Hav-A-Tampa
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

N880EP wrote:PS - The Last Hawaiian Vacation Crucifix story is quintessential EP-Owned Item Legend, a broken item that EP kept, and one that has a very touching story intertwined in its history.
Now you're making me curious! Would you care to share that story with us?

PS. Some nice stuff there, and I'm sure she has a good reason for parting with those things now... (if she needs the money... well, that's a good enough reason for me!). I have a lot of respect for Ginger.

Vissie
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Vissie »

Elvis Presley's Pajama Top

FROM THE GINGER ALDEN ELVIS PRESLEY COLLECTION: Worn by Elvis, this pajama top is similar to the one that he was wearing on August 16th 1977.
Was he wearing tops? When?

The information I have is he was wearing gold pajama bottoms and a necklace. That's it.

AndrewJ

Post by AndrewJ »

N880EP wrote:
On another note:

I find this incredibly sad ....

"Elvis Presley was on a serious spiritual journey before his death and he was working through his thoughts on these two sheets of yellow stationery written August 6th 1977. It is a combination of numerology and Elvis' attempts to decode the hidden meaning in word construction to explain the spiritual core meaning of these words. Elvis had come to visit Ginger's parents and to check on two trees he had planted at their home just ten days before his untimely and tragic passing. In discussing numerology with Ginger and her sister Rosemary, he wrote these pages as part of the discussion."

The Numerology notes (an obsession of E's, but definitely nothing worthy of "serious" intellectual study / consideration) / Crystal Black Star Sapphire (another obsession, with supposed meanings behind minerals / colors) / etc. ...... ALL typify one man's own imperceptible slide deeper into superstition & darkness (something that should also be remembered here - Larry Geller wholeheartedly encouraged this kind of nonsense, too).

This kind of (non)thinking, only served to buttress the huge wall of denial that EP had slowly constructed around himself over the years, especially as the 70's wore on ...... making it, in the end, ............... an insuperable one for our hero.

I know many may be unable to see the connection, ......... but it is there, nevertheless, ..... and it was a HUGE contributing factor to what happened on 8-16-77, ..... because it allowed EP to pretend - everyday - that things were OK & gonna get better.
I agree - these 2 pages of notes are extremely poignent. It's an example of the living, breathing Elvis Presley - and him trying to explain, justify, and even understand his life. What an item!

N8 - spot on with the comments

Andrew

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Questions come to mind... why did Ginger hang on to some of this stuff? Was it with the idea of selling it later? Who holds onto a used cigar? Why didn't she throw the guitar pick away? Did she walk behind Elvis collecting everything she thought would one day be worth money?

The coconut head? Really? :roll:

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

Vissie wrote:Questions come to mind... why did Ginger hang on to some of this stuff? Was it with the idea of selling it later? Who holds onto a used cigar? Why didn't she throw the guitar pick away? Did she walk behind Elvis collecting everything she thought would one day be worth money?

If she was after money, she would have written a book the second Elvis died. Instead she got a job.

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Luuk wrote:
Vissie wrote:Questions come to mind... why did Ginger hang on to some of this stuff? Was it with the idea of selling it later? Who holds onto a used cigar? Why didn't she throw the guitar pick away? Did she walk behind Elvis collecting everything she thought would one day be worth money?

If she was after money, she would have written a book the second Elvis died. Instead she got a job.
I disagree. Why bothering writing a book (costs you time, effort, and opens you up to excessive criticism) when you can just sell off trinkets and items left behind?

Sorry, not a fan of hers.

Brad M

Post by Brad M »

ColinB wrote:
Let's be fair here.

Ginger's mother had taken on a financial committment with a mortgage because Elvis promised he would foot the bill.

Elvis died.

She asked Vernon & the executors for the cash & they said they were legally powerless & the only way she could progress the matter was to sue.

She did, but as there was nothing in writing, she lost.

Not greedy, just trying to get out of the financial mess that Elvis [inadvertently] left her in by dying when he did.
Agreed Colin. I was a little too harsh with my opening post :oops:

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Lonely Summer wrote:If Ginger was all about making money off her time with Elvis, why did she wait 30 years to sell these things?
She didn't. This isn't her first sale. Also, she got paid for her National Enquirer story ;)

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

Vissie wrote:
Luuk wrote:

I disagree. Why bothering writing a book (costs you time, effort, and opens you up to excessive criticism) when you can just sell off trinkets and items left behind?

Indeed she did not bother writing a book. She got a job. Good for her not to leech on Elvis' legacy like so many "friends" did with the excuse that we have the right to learn Elvis in private life was a bastard.
Saw her in a movie long long ago. In fact I thought it was a very pretty actress only to find out it was Ginger when the end titles came up.

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Luuk wrote:
Vissie wrote:
Luuk wrote:

Indeed she did not bother writing a book. She got a job. Good for her not to leech on Elvis' legacy like so many "friends" did with the excuse that we have the right to learn Elvis in private life was a bastard.
Saw her in a movie long long ago. In fact I thought it was a very pretty actress only to find out it was Ginger when the end titles came up.
I'm not addressing what others have written/said about Elvis in this post. What I am saying is that Ginger has made money off her association with Elvis.

What need would there be to write a book? What tell-all tales could be included? She knew him for how long? 9 months? Would she highlight the arguments and how she refused to travel with him? Yes, fans would've loved to read the nitty-gritty about that.

It is also quite possible that the contract she signed with NE included the stipulation that she would forgo writing a book for x amount of time. Selling artifacts doesn't open her up to scrutiny/ridicule. Much less stressful to sell cigar trash.

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by rickeap »

While i've admired Ginger in many ways, the keeping and subsequent sale of a half-used cigar is strange
Rick

Brad M

Post by Brad M »

rickeap wrote:While i've admired Ginger in many ways, the keeping and subsequent sale of a half-used cigar is strange
Rick
I think the reason alot of the people who were around Elvis in the final year or so did not like Ginger because she was not a "yes" to everything Elvis said or wanted. She told him what she did and did not want to do, and would say No to him. People around him, and himself was not use to that I think and thats where alot of the problems came in their relationship. I like her. She was put in a bad position, to try and keep Elvis alive. That wasn't her job, should could'nt help it, Elvis had to help himself. Thats why I hate reading where fans blame Ginger for this or that when they should really be blaming E himself sometimes.

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by rickeap »

BradM I'm not blaming Ginger for any of Elvis' decline, just wondering why she would souvenir a half-used cigar and keep it for 30 years and then sell it
Rick