Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Elvis' Achievements

Post by jetblack »

Whilst others are arguing over viewing figures of 'Aloha' I would like to put Elvis' career into some perspective.

There is no doubt that Elvis owned the 50's, musically speaking. His influence started a team of soundalikes from Terry Dene, Cliff, Billy Fury etc. Hell, even Ricky Nelson recorded his first record cause the girl he was with kept going on about Elvis.

Over on the 'Aloha' thread Gregory Nolan stated

'it's still true that he was largely over-shadowed in the '60s and '70s'

This is just not true especially in the UK as Elvis' greatest chart success came 1960-1963. There was a big media news when the religious song 'Crying In the Chapel' made the Number 1 spot, Easter of 1965 at the height of Beatlemania. The '68 Comeback and the 1969 Memphis tracks kept Elvis at the top.

Looking at the lean years of '64-'67 Elvis had a US Number 1 album with 'Roustabout', recorded the 'How Great Thou Art' album in '66 not too mention the superb 1967 recordings that made up part of the 'Tomorrow Is A Long Time' CD.

Through all this time Elvis was winning poll after poll in the year end lists for NME (New Musical Express) coming in at Number 3 in 1960 (remember he didn't get out of the army until March) World Music Personality and World Male Singer in 1962, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1971 and 1972 (these are the only figures I have).

On the album front 'G.I. Blues' and 'Blue Hawaii' were his biggest hits of the decade and along with the 2 gospel albums, 'Elvis Is Back', the rockin/romantic 'Something For Everybody', the NBC soundtrack and 'From Elvis In Memphis' Elvis more than held his own.

Every Elvis album released in the UK thru the '60's reached the Top 20 (apart from 'Clambake' (#39) and 'Double Trouble' (#34).

Out of the 40 singles released in the UK only 'Long Legged Girl' and 'You'll Never Walk Alone' failed to reach the UK Top 40.

Elvis' achievements are truly exceptional and are indeed incredible!

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

TONY
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Elvis' Achievements

Post by TONY »

I still fing it incredulous that top notch single releases in the '60's such as "You'll never walk alone", "Big boss man" and "Guitar man" did not chart higher.

bajo
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Elvis' Achievements

Post by bajo »

I think JAT's book Elvis No1 also add some facts to the legacy of Elvis. Facts like he was still a box office no 1 aritst along with Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles and The Rolling Stones, regarding live events, even in 1977.

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"