Cliff Richard turned down Elvis

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

dreambear
Registered for: 19 years

Re: Cliff Richard turned down Elvis

Post by dreambear »

Cliff is well known in Sweden after hits like "Congratulations" etc, but Elvis had a few more hits... 8)

//Björn

Ton Bruins
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Ton Bruins »

Who is Cliff Richard ? Don't know that guy..

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Liverbobs »

Sir Cliff Richard is performing in Japan on the last leg of a successful world tour. The audience go wild as Cliff asks them if there is anything he can sing especially for them.
'Tits and fanny!' scream the audience.
'I can't sing that' says Cliff. I'm a devout Christian.
'Tits and fanny!' scream the crowd.
'Oh, come on' says Cliff.
' Okay, okay' says Cliff 'But I don't know how it goes'
'Tits and fanny' …sing the crowd in unison..'… how we don't talk anymore.'

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Topic author
Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Liverbobs wrote:Sir Cliff Richard is performing in Japan on the last leg of a successful world tour. The audience go wild as Cliff asks them if there is anything he can sing especially for them.
Patting My Sides Laughing!!

Liverbobs thats ace!

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

PEP
Registered for: 21 years

Post by PEP »

Sadly the Cliff Interview where he talks about the opportunity that he had to take a picture with Elvis was posted on youtube last October and then posted in our Elvis video section however the interview has been removed by youtube.

Personally I am a little surprised to read now an again when some stars had opportunities to either meet or have a picture taken with Elvis an they chose not to for one reason or another. One star that comes to mind is Suzi Quatro, in her case she claims Elvis invited her to Graceland after she recorded "All Shook Up" she declined because she said she was too nervous to meet him, alright tee then. :roll:
In Cliff's case in one way I find it hard to believe he past on getting to meet Elvis because he heard he had gained weight.

I say hard to believe because personally I do not think it was such a big issue when Elvis was alive. At least not until late 77' when the SUN started doing the "Elvis What Happened ?" excerpts.

PEP 8)

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

Xaykev wrote:
EagleUSA, what do you think of this one :

I hope you like it
Thank you for the video. The song is pleasant enough, but I just don't care much for Cliff. It was like watching a moment in a Broadway musical.

Eagle

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

EagleUSA wrote:Xaykev wrote:
EagleUSA, what do you think of this one :

I hope you like it
Thank you for the video. The song is pleasant enough, but I just don't care much for Cliff. It was like watching a moment in a Broadway musical.
I've felt that way about most of Cliff's stuff of the past 20 yrs really. Pleasant but forgettable. Now this was and remains a very good record and great vocal:

Amazingly it's now around 30 yrs old. Probably the last time he sounded like a real rock 'n' roller on record.
Last edited by TJ on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

rocknroller
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by rocknroller »

Liverbobs wrote:Sir Cliff Richard is performing in Japan on the last leg of a successful world tour. The audience go wild as Cliff asks them if there is anything he can sing especially for them.

smt174 smt174 smt174

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Racism can never be funny :!:

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Topic author
Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

KiwiAlan wrote:Racism can never be funny :!:
Oh come on lighten up. There's nothing racist about that joke, it was laugh out loud funny.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

bajo

Post by bajo »

I've always liked Cliff Richard! Strangely enough he never hit in the US. Even if Devil Woman was a hit there, he never got so big as in the UK, Europe and the Far East.
He's always talked well about Elvis. His album "I'm Nearly Famous" has pictures of Elvis and Elvis albums on the cover.
He might have been disappointed seeing Elvis in the state he sometimes appeared during later years.
Even Elton John has made some remarks after attending a concert, I think it was in '76 also!
I think Elvis himself has to take some of the blame for not appearing in a state that people normally would expect him to be! I recall seeing pictures back then from concert performances that made me wonder what the h.. had happened to him?
I soon realized!
Regarding other remarks Cliff has made regarding The Beatles and others, I think it says more about a falling star trying to hang on, beeing referred to and still wanting to be part of the game.
I don't thin Cliff should have bothered to comment on these things now. If this is what he meant, why didn't he come forward before?
That aside! It doesn't prevent me from playing Cliff Richard records!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Richard Palmer

Post by Richard Palmer »

John from Woodley wrote:
bajo wrote: Regarding other remarks Cliff has made regarding The Beatles
I'd still like to know which Beatles tracks he was referring to when he said they were out of tune.

By the way, on Cliff's song On The Beach he or someone has a coughing fit during the solo 1'04" into the song.
Hank Marvin said that almost every record they played on had a mistake somewhere. Man Of Mystery has a bum note which they then had to copy during every live performance, otherwise the fans thought they were playing it wrong. Same with Kon Tiki. I don't know if they went as far as reproducing the cough on stage though.

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

John from Woodley wrote:
bajo wrote:

I'd still like to know which Beatles tracks he was referring to when he said they were out of tune.

90% of them.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

stupot
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by stupot »

rocknroller wrote:
John from Woodley wrote:
bajo wrote:

90% of them.
:smt003 :smt003 :lol: :smt003 Right, and the other 10% was nearly as good as some of the Stones' stuff? :smt003

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

stupot wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
John from Woodley wrote:
bajo wrote:

90% of them.

:smt003 :smt003 :lol: :smt003 Right, and the other 10% was nearly as good as some of the Stones' stuff? :smt003

sounds about right to me :lol:

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Little Darlin wrote:Just who does he think he is..... But when Richard finally got the opportunity to be snapped with Presley in 1976, he refused as the star was looking "really heavy" at the time.
Does anyone know the supposed date in 1976 this meeting transpired?

Maybe Richard thought Presley was just a "devil woman," with evil on her mind.

Cliff should be credited for being a first-generation U.K. rocker who actually cut some decent rock and roll, like the great track "Move It" -- the Beatles themselves dug Cliff enough to give the track a rundown during their Get Back sessions in January 1969. And it was in tune, too.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

drjohncarpenter wrote:[ And it was in tune, too.

are you sure it was in tune doc :?: :lol:

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

rocknroller wrote:are you sure it was in tune doc :?: :lol:
Yeah, the Beatles -- the greatest band in the history of rock and roll -- usually played in tune.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Little Darlin wrote:Just who does he think he is..... But when Richard finally got the opportunity to be snapped with Presley in 1976, he refused as the star was looking "really heavy" at the time.
Does anyone know the supposed date in 1976 this meeting transpired?

Maybe Richard thought Presley was just a "devil woman," with evil on her mind.

Cliff should be credited for being a first-generation U.K. rocker who actually cut some decent rock and roll, like the great track "Move It" -- the Beatles themselves dug Cliff enough to give the track a rundown during their Get Back sessions in January 1969. And it was in tune, too.

Cliff's had some good tunes.....

I just don't think he likes the fact that he will always be #2 to Elvis hit wise in the U.K. maybe that's why he made that unkin remark.

EagleUSA

Post by EagleUSA »

I just don't think he likes the fact that he will always be #2 to Elvis hit wise in the U.K.
IMO, he should consider himself lucky to be #2.

Number two always knows who he works for...

Eagle

Topic author
Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

OMG it gets worse ... Suspicious Minds was ALRIGHT!! W.O.E

So he was on about Elvis being ''heavy'' in June 76 ... so what, Elvis Presley had more talent than ''Sir Dick'' will ever have.

Thanks very much for the Article John!

mr burrows
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by mr burrows »

"Being out of tune I find it unforgivable really..."

So do we Cliff, so do we...

stupot
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by stupot »

So a journalist said he would arrange the meet! Who was he? Could he have pulled that off? Would Elvis have bothered himself with this arrangement?

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Thanks for the scan, John.

More ignorant remarks about EP post-1969 -- but what's new, right? Of course, it doesn't help when some of his own fans spread negative **** . . .

Man, Cliff has a cheek. Two cheeks, in fact. And he speaks from the hole between them. I'll let you work out which cheeks I mean. Here are five reasons Elvis is better than Cliff:

1) Elvis was born with his spectacularly cool name. Cliff? Behold the lethality and sexual power of . . . "Harold".

2) Elvis had pink cadillacs. Cliff? A Gideon's Bible.

3) Elvis moved in a way no one had seen before. Cliff? Watch "Mistletoe and Wine". What's that arm-swaying thing all about? There are more discrete ways to disguise a bad odour.

4) Elvis ate whatever he wanted when he wanted. Cliff? He lives on air, bacteria that no one else has heard of and very small earthworms.

5) Elvis' music is stupendously inviting, intoxicating, enervating, mysterious and awesome. Cliff's? About as exciting as a sawdust sandwich. "Summer Holiday" makes "Song of the Shrimp" sound risque.

As you can (hopefully) see, the above is satirical -- though hardly a million miles from the truth. It is very rich of Cliff Richard to call "Suspicious Minds" "alright"; this guy wouldn't know compelling music if it was turned into an anvil and dropped on his nuts (then again, his nuts were probably removed about 20 years ago). The "fat Elvis" thing is equally unbelievable ... if it wasn't Cliff. Cliff seems to fear fat and wrinkles like George Bush fears being asked a question. And that thing about The Beatles is something else ... but again, this is Cliff. Clearly, his memorable guitar riffs have set the world on fire -- or maybe just our ears.

I can't help thinking that those answers of his are satricial, too. Or rather ... I keep wishing they are. Unfortunately, they probably aren't. I watched a documentary on him and saw and heard him call "Devil Woman" a song "about the occult". He's a scary man. If you don't have sex or masturbate, it seems that all that man juice starts working its way loose and fries the circuit boards. To all my fellow males, let this serve as a warning. God brought us Cliff to show the way. Thine is the power and the glory! Free the cream and rejoice!

Xaykev
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Xaykev »

Sir Cliff says he prefer to say that Elvis was heavy instead of fat, and that Suspicious Minds is alright.
What's wrong with that?
Cliff is a huge Elvis fan, watch his concert and you will notice that.

I miss you, Elvis!