Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

KingElvis
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Re: APRIL FTD RELEASE!

Post by KingElvis »

BIGREDG wrote:
KingElvis wrote:Awsome news....a 2-cd release of TTWII album is most welcome.
Thinking of it....it couldnt be a better release for me :)
As long as disc 2 is not just a complete show (IMO)
true....original album with outtakes on disc1 and undubbed/rough mixes on disc 2 with additional outtakes would be best....like they did on today and raised on rock FTDs.
Would love to get songs like Mary in the morning master undubbed.

Topic author
JeroenNL
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by JeroenNL »

Unreleased takes studio songs on original TWWII album (from Keith Flynn website)

Twenty Days, Twenty Nights: takes 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8

How The web Was Woven - take 2

Mary In The Morning - takes 1 & 2

You Don't Have To Say You Love Me - take 1

Just Pretend - take 1

Stranger In The Crowd - takes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8

The Next Step Is Love - takes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 & 9

Bridge Over Troubled Water - 2, 3, 4, 6 & 7

I think we still have plenty to look forward to! :D

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

There are plenty of fans that purchased The Way It Was mostly for the CD (which is great by the way) and only a few years later, the CD can now be purchased separately. Is it going to be this way with all the book projects? So instead of spending around $100 for Flashback, a fan can wait a few years and get the CD for $30? There are plenty of more live tracks and rehearsal tracks that could make a NEW compilation of TTWII material.

The classic album series is an interesting move. There have been some fantastic titles, but is FTD simply becoming a vehicle for expensive deluxe editions of EP's catalogue albums? That is how it seems. With individual releases of studio outtakes no longer being produced after I Sing All Kinds, and an extended break from soundboard releases - it looks like FTD is simply a label with expensive catalogue titles. If so, that is a shame.

Ernst could at least finish issuing concerts from every tour/Vegas/Tahoe season as originally planned before putting an end to "live" releases.

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Yes Colin,it'll be re-released without the book,and no,it's not a 3 CD set,a 2 CD Classic Album,and a seperate digipack version of the aleady released FTD release of TTWIW without the book. :D

I hope that's clearer.

Dan.

BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

JeroenNL wrote:Unreleased takes studio songs on original TWWII album (from Keith Flynn website)

Twenty Days, Twenty Nights: takes 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8

How The web Was Woven - take 2

Mary In The Morning - takes 1 & 2

You Don't Have To Say You Love Me - take 1

Just Pretend - take 1

Stranger In The Crowd - takes 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8

The Next Step Is Love - takes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 & 9

Bridge Over Troubled Water - 2, 3, 4, 6 & 7

I think we still have plenty to look forward to! :D
I'll settle for this tracklist for the second disc !! :)

Dan_T

Post by Dan_T »

Oh,and a quote from,Ernst,

Ernst: "This does not constitute a policy of releasing all book CD’s as separate re-releases. We will in each case evaluate the demand and historic relevance for such releases."

Dan.

iamhekev
Registered for: 20 years

Post by iamhekev »

NURSE!!!.

Yes...

It"s a 2xcd set off the original TTWII,with out takes!.

Yes...i know,as i can read.

?????

:lol:

KEV.

SAM...17.3.1955 to 24.1.2008

Swithin StCleeve

Post by Swithin StCleeve »

midnightx wrote: The classic album series is an interesting move. There have been some fantastic titles, but is FTD simply becoming a vehicle for expensive deluxe editions of EP's catalogue albums? That is how it seems. With individual releases of studio outtakes no longer being produced after I Sing All Kinds, and an extended break from soundboard releases - it looks like FTD is simply a label with expensive catalogue titles. If so, that is a shame.
The Gold Records Volume 2 set arrived this Saturday, (I know I'm late, but I do cherry pick the classic albums, and I fancied something a little Elvisy for a treat, so I ordered it last week)
Anyway, it is f u c k in g SUPERB! The artwork, the sound (on the masters especially), the whole package reeks of class. And look at the amount of out-takes from June & Feb '58!! I've been playing it all weekend and loving it, (much of it new to my ears). 51 different tracks (inc false starts) on disc two alone!
I've moaned about FTD releasing catalougue stuff too, but surely it must all boil down to "do I like what I have in my hands?", and hand on heart, the only FTDs I've been dissapointed in are samey soundboard releases of later seventies shows. And that's not the fault of FTD, it's the fault of Elvis!

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ColinB »

familyjules wrote:So hang on, is it both a 2 CD version of TTWII and That's the Way it Was in digipack?
Or just the latter?
Look, it's perfectly simple.

It's a 2-CD version of the 3-CD TTWII, but if you can prove that you never bought the book/CD The Way It Was, they give you a free 'stand-alone' digipack copy of the The Way It Was CD, but without the book.

Geddit ?

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Steve Morse
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Steve Morse »

Let's hope we get the ORIGINAL single version of I've Lost You.

I have raised this in the past and it has been confirmed (by Keith Flynn?). The close-out (not fade out) features an impassioned "oh, oh, I've lost you". I'm not even sure this original version has ever made it to an official CD.

Steve Morse

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

I want a deluxe Speedway album!!! lol dont think im ever gonna fill out my collection, making me worried! doesnt look im ever gonna have Speedway!

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Last edited by KiwiAlan on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

HEART AND SOUL premiered the complete single version years ago with a fade out that lasts a minute longer! This is the master version I always use in my own compilations of Nashville 70 tracks. To my knowledge, it's the only CD to feature it.

I always use THE COLLECTION VOL. 4 for Rags To Riches with unclipped piano intro too.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The previous 3CD Boxset “That’s The Way It Is – Special Edition” on the main label a) was released about 8 years ago now and b) was a wide focus set focused mainly on the movie rather than the album. Hopefully this new FTD 2CD release will focus on the album itself and the recording sessions surrounding it. It should include the original album tracks (although I will forgive them if they release the pure “Bridge Over Troubled Water” instead of the terrible dubbed applause version) along with the singles “I’ve Lost You” and “Patch It Up”. The rest of the album should be made up of the June 1970 session outtakes. Considering the length of the original album plus these singles that’s over 50 minutes of space used. We’re probably looking at around 100 mins of disc space.

A nice touch would be to finally have “I Just Can’t Help Believin’” in its un-dubbed format.

With regards to the CD only re-issue of “The Way It Was”, this book has been deleted from the FTD catalogue for a while now so making available the audio material for purchase is fair enough. I doubt this will be done for “Flashback” considering the 50s material will be available on Classic Albums.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:HEART AND SOUL premiered the complete single version years ago with a fade out that lasts a minute longer!
This is the master version I always use in my own compilations of Nashville 70 tracks.
To my knowledge, it's the only CD to feature it.
I love the long Take 6 of I've Lost You which we got in 1996 on Essential IV - A Hundred Years From Now !

And the even longer Take 1 from Nashville Marathon in 2002 !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I always use THE COLLECTION VOL. 4 for Rags To Riches with unclipped piano intro too.
I hope they don't repeat the mistake of adding "Rags To Riches" to this new FTD TTWII set like they did with the box set. Since this was recorded during the September 1970 add on session to garner more material for "Elvis Country" it should be saved and used on a FTD treatment of that album.

The FTD of TTWII should follow the route of:

1. The original album masters
2. The Studio masters of "I've Lost You" (complete), "Patch It Up", "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (minus applause dub) and a selection of studio (not live) outtakes.
3. The original album masters undubbed
4. A selection of further unreleased outtakes

No songs should be used that weren't on the original album.

As far as live outtakes - I'd rather they save these for complete show releases. But it would be nice to have "I Just Can't Help Believin'" minus the faded in fake applause at the beginning - and maybe with a repair (from another live version??) of the vocal mistake "...she smiles ..er ..whispers magic (laugh)...". Also "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" without the "If this suit weren't too tight" ad-lib. They did a similar edit on "Something" on the TTWII box set, where they removed an adlib.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Also "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" without the "If this suit weren't too tight" ad-lib.
This is one reason why we are lucky to have the rehearsal version of this song.

yeah but he chats in the middle of that version and spoils it.

We need fully repaired versions of "i Just Can't Help Belivin'" - to include the mid section vocal mistake being corrected using another live version, and to have the full intro minus fake applause - and "You've Lost That Lovin Feelin'" without the "suit weren't too tight" bit that ruins it.

Similarly, vocal repair edits could be done to "My Babe" (to remove the half-laughed "oh God!" and "Polk Salad Annie" from Feb 70 to remove the "Some of y'all never been down south too much ...ah ... some ya'll never been down south ... Wooo!" adlib.

It's possible to cover up the fake gun shot on the live "This Is the story" and remove the laugh that follows (...."an open fire --kkkkkh - a favourite chair, I get a book from the shelf -- haha") and I'd love a complete Feb 70 "Walk A Mile" with the real ending from Aug 70 added on so we don't fade out or go into "in The Ghetto".

Elvis' adlibs over the intro of "Release Me" could also be removed ("you're gonna like it" and "let's play it hard now").

I love all the adlibs on all the above and we have them freely to listen to on old releases. Just be nice to have 'em without as well - to make more polished live masters. What's everyone reckon, and can you think of any more?

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:yeah but he chats in the middle of that version and spoils it.

We need fully repaired versions of "i Just Can't Help Belivin'" - to include the mid section vocal mistake being corrected using another live version, and to have the full intro minus fake applause - and "You've Lost That Lovin Feelin'" without the "suit weren't too tight" bit that ruins it.

Similarly, vocal repair edits could be done to "My Babe" (to remove the half-laughed "oh God!" and "Polk Salad Annie" from Feb 70 to remove the "Some of y'all never been down south too much ...ah ... some ya'll never been down south ... Wooo!" adlib.

It's possible to cover up the fake gun shot on the live "This Is the story" and remove the laugh that follows (...."an open fire --kkkkkh - a favourite chair, I get a book from the shelf -- haha") and I'd love a complete Feb 70 "Walk A Mile" with the real ending from Aug 70 added on so we don't fade out or go into "in The Ghetto".

Elvis' adlibs over the intro of "Release Me" could also be removed ("you're gonna like it" and "let's play it hard now").

I love all the adlibs on all the above and we have them freely to listen to on old releases. Just be nice to have 'em without as well - to make more polished live masters. What's everyone reckon, and can you think of any more?
You miss the entire point of a concert.
A show.
If you want perfect word for word renditions on songs, check out the original studio versions or the version which was done by the original artist.
I say, no edits. Leave the show the way it was performed. Period.

Mike in New Jersey
Registered for: 20 years 9 months
Location: Well, I don't live in New Jersey anymore.. does that mean I have to change my screen name? :-)

Post by Mike in New Jersey »

Swithin StCleeve wrote:
The Gold Records Volume 2 set arrived this Saturday, Anyway, it is f u c k in g SUPERB! The artwork, the sound (on the masters especially), the whole package reeks of class.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :D

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

That´s really great news :!:, finally That´s The Way It Is 2 cd set :smt026. Hope they include many unreleased outtakes. It seems that this release was not on any schedule plan taken from some Elvis websites :roll:. I´m happy, but being released around Eastern time, it would have been nice if they had instead planned something like a Special Release of Peace In The Valley with a lot of Binaural outtakes. Image
Maybe next year. Bye for now :smt006.

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

this certainly has the chance to be 'really good' still plenty of outakes to hear or indeed most of that excellent 13.8.70 dinner show.i take this April FTD to be 'good news'. :lol:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Just in reply to you ekenee:

I think you misunderstood me slightly. Yeah - I LOVE the shows as they were. Bones, hairs, warts, moles and all. The adlibs are sometimes what makes a concert! I couldn't live without the renditions we all know and love.

I was just saying that it would be nice to have these edits made to the said tracks so that we have near-perfect live masters in ADDITION (the main factor here) to the original untouched versions.

You get these here compilations of great ballads etc and everything sounds perfect - then in he comes with an adlib. Great - and often funny - in the context of a show, but on a compilation of songs, it's nice to have them sounding more straight.

I'd just like to have the tracks available for that purpose only. Maybe a nice EXCLUSIVE LIVE MASTERS compilation would be the place to do it. It could be a double CD containing every song he cut live between 69 and 77 that ISN'T available in any studio form.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

ekenee wrote:I say, no edits. Leave the show the way it was performed. Period.
I agree for the most part but what is your opinion of the masking of the "hooooot daammn" adlib removed from "Something" to create the live master first featured on the 70s Masters box set?