An impossible choice?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Liverbobs

Re: An impossible choice?

Post by Liverbobs »

The meeting, no contest, I'd impress Elvis so much he'd say "Red, you know that English sumbitch we met backstage in Vegas? Well, I think he could do Charlie's job a whole lot better". Then I wouldn't have to bother about missing the show cos I'd be in it, all I'd have to do was give Elvis scarves and water and er...act gay now and again :oops: while Elvis sings "Are You Lonesome Tonight" then I could tell him about Cliff Richard and we'd have a laugh about the time when Cliff came a calling and Elvis pretended he wasn't in and...oh, I have to go now, it's time for my medicine and my lie down

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

Seems like people here are more interested in the celebrity/person Elvis than what it´s all about...the music.

kuenzer

Post by kuenzer »

Rob wrote: However, if somebody tried to make me leave as the opening riff started, I'd be in the news headlines the next morning.
As "the hardcore fan that peacefully trotted away during Zarathustra", I assume?

Given that Elvis had his meeting-the-fans routine, there is not much I could take from such a meeting. So except if we would have something to talk about, say, I'd have written a song, and he'd have a question about the lyrics, I'd go for the concert. I can imagine that Elvis would be quite bored by typical hardcore fan's questions ("Elvis, when you jammed with the Beatles, was it with Paul and John alone? And, second question, did you play I Feel Fine with them?" "Ah, s'been a long time. (Laughter.) Don't recall. But they are nice guys.").

Of course, during the concert I'd scream my lungs out that he should perform my recent favourites ("Pieces Of My Life! Bringing It Back! Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall!"). Is that allowed in that game here?

Did I hear somebody say "not with these favourites"?

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

The show. Although a meeting gives you bragging rights, performance is what made Elvis special. Plus meeting celebrities interferes with the conceptions you have of their work and is almost always a disappointing anti-climax. Whereas seeing them in a show where they live up to their potential is an uplifting experience.

Elvis had one of the best shows going in the business in 1972.

familyjules

Post by familyjules »

I'd definitely choose the show. But it is a tough choice. Hard to pass on a meeting with the King!

Jules

Topic author
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

If the concert has to be pre Aloha and in Vegas then I'd take April 1956 at the Frontier as my choice.

If it had to be 69 to 70.....Well there is so much on film already so I guess I'd plump for the meeting, film the meeting, get footage of Elvis signing 2 autographs for me, film him kissing the paper as well and then flogging that one around about now at an auction. I'd also tell him and Joe to make sure there was two paramedice waiting outside on august 16th 1977 coz if not you'll die.

Qunadry: If Elvis then lives then my autograph is worth less......hmmmm.....

VOC

Post by VOC »

Rich_TCB wrote:This is a very easy question to answer for me.

I'd see the show -- no doubt about it.

Are you kidding me?? To see Elvis Presley live in Las Vegas in 1969 ?? Performing a killer set list -- FEATURING an 8:00 rocking and mind-blowing performance of Suspicious Minds ??

NO CONTEST.

Rich
I completely agree. Although this wasn't asked in the original topic, I have to elaborate a bit.

Personally I don't think meeting artists is the sort of thing i glamour that much. It sort of takes away the mystique a bit, they as performers are doing their job on stage and a lot of people expect them to carry on the same image off stage as well. Then there is the inevitable disappointment. I also respect artist's privacy, not all of them are willing to stand around and chat to people hours after they have just given them their all on stage. Just imagine after a hard day of work, would you rather go home, crack open a can of beer or be constantly surrounded by fans and hangers-on, required to be polite and friendly with everyone all the time??

Of course given the chance, sure I would have shook his hand. But to see a mind blowing performance and go home happy afterwards, is completely satisfying to me. I don't think the purpose of a fan is anything more: buy records, go see the shows, support the artists and let them live their lives in privacy.

- Whisky Woman, Don't You Know That You Are Driving Me Insane -

Post by 53310761 »

I can't decide! its like Sophie's Choice. Having never been to a concert that would be such a thrill. But to meet him and give him a big snog even better! :smt007 so choice 2.
I am so predictable!

Debs

"Its only Words and Words are all I have..

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

53310761 wrote:But to meet him and give him a big snog even better!
Just out of curiosity, what would one of those be?

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

The meeting for me ~

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Rob wrote:
53310761 wrote:But to meet him and give him a big snog even better!
Just out of curiosity, what would one of those be?
A snog is a kiss.. a very nice one ;)

Topic author
Rob

Post by Rob »

In that case, I'll take two!