Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

June 20, 1977

Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:50 am

Was this show recorded by RCA? I have seen documentation verifying this as being so. If true, why hasn't it surfaced?

Elvis Fan

Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:35 am

Carolyn -

An interesting question.

Certainly the planned CBS filming of this Lincoln, Nebraska show never happened.

Whether RCA recorded it is a moot point.

With nothing surfacing in nearly 26 years, it looks unlikely.

Colin B

Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:43 am

I suppose it may come down to 'is the recordings of Omaha & Rapid City recorded by RCA/BMG or are the AUDIO recordings only from the CBS filmings......I'm sure Ernst could tell us....remember he says that the Rapid City show will (?) be released on the FTD label....but again is this professional RCA recording or CBS audio ?

Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:53 pm

RCA made professional multi track recordings of both the Omaha and Rapid City shows, and this is documented in both Ernst’s book “A Life In Music” and Joe Tunzi’s “Sessions”. Neither book makes any reference to a recording of the Lincoln show, and as nothing has surfaced from this show on any RCA/BMG releases so far it does seem unlikely that this show was recorded.

Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:24 am

"I have seen documentation verifying this as being so."

Elvis Fan -

What exactly are you referring to?

You wouldn't be blowing smoke up our arses, now, would you?

Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:55 am

Dr. Carpenter,

Thanks for using the "correct" spelling of the word "arses" for the benefit of we British readers! As regards to professional recordings of the CBS shows, of course Ernst would have access to the RCA audio of the Rapid City shows; otherwise, where would the Elvis in Concert album have come from? Felton Jarvis is given production credit on the original album. I believe it to be unlikely that the Lincoln show was recorded officially (ie either by RCA or CBS). As others have already stated, it is certain that such a recording would have surfaced by now; besides, Elvis does seem noticeably more relaxed at the Lincoln show than during the two shows either side of it.

Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:15 am

The quote is a reference by Elvis Fan to the "June 20, 1977"subject.

"I have seen documentation verifying this as being so"

Again, I ask -- Elvis Fan -- what exactly are you referring to?

What June 20th documentation?

Don't be shy.

Tick ... tick ... tick ...

Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:26 am

This is taken from elvis.com.au/ :

June 17-26, 1977

Elvis tours in concert. Shows on June 19, 20, and 21 are recorded by RCA for an upcoming live album and are videotaped for an upcoming CBS-TV television special. (Footage from the show on the 20th is not used in the special.)

This is just one source that states the concert on the 20th was recorded by RCA.

Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:31 am

Elvis.com has the same information regarding the show on the 20th.

Elvis Fan

Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:14 am

My good Doctor,

I hope the above "documentation" helps.

Elvis Fan

Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:56 am

Interesting, but a few sentences is hardly convincing.

The story goes that CBS couldn't get permission to film inside the Pershing Memorial. The only film that may be viewed from 20 June to date is a brief shot of the building -- seen during the the October 1977 broadcast's opening montage.

Of course, 19 and 21 June may not have been the only places CBS-TV's cameras went during the June 1977 tour.

Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:25 am

Does there exist a better audience recording of this performance than the one heard on In The Middle Of TV Gigs? It is evident that he was more relaxed, as was stated above, and it sounded like a really good show overall. But that is one of the more "chatty" AR's I have heard, with very audible conversations throughout, perhaps even involving whoever recorded the show!

Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:54 pm

Good Doctor,

Okay. I think it is clear that the cameras were not rolling inside the building in Lincoln.

Likewise, the official website of Graceland and EPE states that fact bluntly. However, my original question concerns the audio from that concert.

Elvis.com does state that RCA recorded that particular concert, as well as the ones in Omaha and Rapid City. They, of all people, should know this fact.

It seems to me that it would have been or should have been a no brainer for RCA to record the concert in Lincoln. Elvis was clearly nervous when the cameras were rolling in Rapid City and Omaha, stating as we all know "If you think I'm nervous, you're right!"

Many have stated that Elvis seems more relaxed in Lincoln after hearing the audience recording of that show. I cannot comment as I don't have it on tape. But, I believe it.

Wouldn't it be proper to assume that Felton Jarvis would have insisted that this show be recorded by RCA due to the lack of cameras in the building, knowing of course that his man would have been more relaxed? I think so.

Therefore, again, my ultimate question: If RCA did record this, as is stated by Elvis.com, why hasn't this surfaced?

I am going to email Graceland. If I receive a response I will post it.

Elvis Fan

Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:30 pm

OK -- your original post did not make a clear distinction between video and audio recording. In either case, the "documentation" is unconvincing.

The simple answer: RCA did not record June 20 on multi-track.

Thus:

1) the Web site is in error

2) it explains zero documentation of this event by anyone in 25+ years

3) it explains why not a single in-line cut has surfaced in 25+ years

Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:27 am

Yes, the chances of the Lincoln show being recorded by RCA are slim to none. But, there still may be a chance. I did email Graceland; whether a response is legitimate is another question. If I receive one, which is likely, I will post.

Elvis Fan

june 20 1977

Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:56 am

was this concert recorded professionaly on video or audio?, i would say no
something would have surfaced by now 25 years after the event.but a soundboard should exist of this show. :roll:

Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:43 am

Here's what happened regarding Elvis in Concert:

It seems that CBS joined the tour in Omaha. Thus:

June 19: Omaha show filmed by CBS and recorded by RCA
June 20: Lincoln show not filmed or recorded, but filming done outside the building.
June 21: Rapid City show filmed by CBS and recorded by RCA
June 25: Cincinnati show not recorded or filmed, but footage of the British fan club is filmed here.
June 26: Indianapolis show not recorded or filmed, but footage of Elvis arriving at the airport is filmed here.

Some highway footage also used, plus some of the crew setting up a show (Omaha?).

The bottom line is that Elvis was clearly aware that he shouldn't be doing the television special at all, and was obviously under a considerable degree of pressure as a result. This is a partial explanation of the poor quality of the two filmed/recorded shows, health issues aside. It also goes some way toward explaining why other shows for which we have non-professional film/audio, such as Kansas City, Madison, Cincinnati and Indianapolis, were alot better than those that ended up in Elvis in Concert.

Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:42 am

Stephen Butler wrote:
The bottom line is that Elvis was clearly aware that he shouldn't be doing the television special at all, and was obviously under a considerable degree of pressure as a result.

I'm not so sure about this. If he was aware he shouldn't be doing the TV special was he aware he shouldn't even be touring? If so why was he about to embark on another tour?

Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:42 am

I would hesitate (strongly) to say that the Indianapolis show was superior to the Rapid City show (in any way).
Elvis is obviously heavily medicated during the MSA show.

IMO Elvis' performance during the Rapid City show is probably one of the better
if not best personal performances from his last four tours (aside from his rambling).
The only other shows that compare are May 25th in
Rochester, NY and May 27th in Binghampton, NY.

I have not heard the Cincinnati June 25th show so I can't comment on that one.

Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:47 am

Sam:

Have another look at your copy (if you possess it) of the CBS out-takes. Look at the expression on his face and his general body language as he enters the stage at Omaha. While you're at it, you might as well watch the entire Omaha show. I'm not just talking about the fact that he is the worse for drug intake, I'm talking about the feeble jokes, the embarrassed laughs, the "Candid Camera" reference, the "having to wear make-up on stage" bit, all of these point to a man aware of his situation and embarrassed by it. In Rapid City, the drug cocktail may be different, but the reaction is the same. He is a man more on top of his game, but sadly aware of what that game is, and that it is almost up. As to whether Elvis knew or not that he should be touring at all, that would depend on whether his doctor ever met his accountant.

Elvis-Fan:

Rapid City contains, in my view, three great Elvis performances: Trying to Get to You, My Way and Unchained Melody. Any or all of these easily rank alongside Elvis' greatest ever vocal performances. But what else? He stops See See Rider halfway through. I Got a Woman, Love Me and If You Love Me are average. That's All Right is mediocre. He forgets the words to Are You Lonesome Tonight. Need I go on? Listen again to the Indianapolis show. Elvis simply sounds better. Some rarely-performed songs are featured, and they are sung with more confidence than at Rapid City. In short, overall, it is a better show.

Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:07 am

[quote="Stephen Butler"]Here's what happened regarding Elvis in Concert:

It seems that CBS joined the tour in Omaha. Thus:

June 19: Omaha show filmed by CBS and recorded by RCA
June 20: Lincoln show not filmed or recorded, but filming done outside the building.
June 21: Rapid City show filmed by CBS and recorded by RCA
June 25: Cincinnati show not recorded or filmed, but footage of the British fan club is filmed here.
June 26: Indianapolis show not recorded or filmed, but footage of Elvis arriving at the airport is filmed here.quote]

What a shame the last two shows were not film though Elvis was in bad shape these were some very good shows from the reviews I have read.

Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:46 am

Stephen, I will watch it again soon. I agree that he shouldn't have done the special(and should have taken time off, then do it when he was well), I'm just not certain if he was aware of what he was doing and what he shouldn't have been doing. He just kept going and going for so long, when he should have had some breaks.

Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:20 pm

Sam -
Elvis was fully aware of his situation - which is why he kept touring! He simply could not afford to take a badly needed extended break at that time. The whole Presley organization was in a precarious position financially, a house of cards that would have come crumbling down if Elvis had stopped for, say, 6 months. That's the plain, hard truth as to why he kept touring when he was in such a state! All that blather about him being out there because he didn't want to disappoint the fans is nonsense! But even if he had somehow managed to arrange things so he could take some time off there is no reason to think he would have made the most of the opportunity. He would not have checked into a clinic for help with his substance abuse. He would not have started to eat salads, white meat, and fruit. He would not have excercised. Sadly, he was simply too far down the pike in being "set in his ways".
As far as the June tour shows go, I pretty much agree with Stephen Butler's assessment. The Indy concert would have been the best to have on film and record. I do find it strange that there are no soundboards from both this tour and the previous one.

Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:42 pm

I think the reason why Elvis seems much more relaxed during the Lincoln show, and performed much better shows in Cincinnati and Indianapolis was because he was fully aware that the CBS cameras were not present, and not having to deal with this added pressure resulted in much better performances.
It would be nice to have a professionally filmed version of the final show as we now know it, but had the CBS cameras been present on June 26, 1977, it’s likely that this show would have been beset by the same problems that were apparent in both Omaha and Rapid City due Elvis’ obvious unease at the presence of the CBS cameras.

Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:17 am

Pete:

There could very well be several reasons why no soundboards have surfaced from the final 2 tours. My guess is that none were recorded, possibly because Elvis or his entourage didn't request any, possibly because the sound engineers couldn't see the point. Possibly, and this is quite likely, Elvis couldn't see the point. Remember that the CBS Special had one raison d'etre and one only: money. There was absolutely no artistic motive for this tv show at all. Yes, there are a few isolated great performances amongst the dross, but Elvis was a great artist as well as a sick man. But the shows as a rule were tired and stale at best, downright unpredictable and those close to Elvis would have seen the writing on the wall as early as March. For every Rochester and Binghamton show there was a Philadelphia and Baltimore. It was impossible to tell from one night to the next whether Elvis' show would be mediocre or shite. So why bother. Only after the event do we now look back and say that the final show should have been recorded, it was much better, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.