Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Pittsburgh Alternate Recording

Post by elvisjock »

Since the bootleg thread is blocked, I'll respond here to the question about the second audio source.

It was recorded near John Herman's location, because you can hear some of the same fans' comments. The Herman source is better quality, but the second source is entertaining because of the ongoing dialogue between a couple of guys in the crowd.

During Funny How Time Slips Away one tells the other how last year Elvis left the stage (in Pontiac) to change suits.

One of these guys keeps shouting at Elvis. During the intro of You Gave Me A Mountain, Elvis says, "I've seen you before somewhere." He was apparently referring to this gentleman, because the guy then brags about it to his buddy. IIRC, he is responsible for Elvis singing Reconsider Baby and Little Sister, because he was yelling out requests to Elvis. He also asked for Moody Blue and for Elvis to "play That's Alright Mama on the guitar."

Finally, the other guy says something to the effect of "He did enough for you."

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Joe Car
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Pittsburgh Alternate Recording

Post by Joe Car »

elvisjock wrote:Since the bootleg thread is blocked, I'll respond here to the question about the second audio source.

It was recorded near John Herman's location, because you can hear some of the same fans' comments. The Herman source is better quality, but the second source is entertaining because of the ongoing dialogue between a couple of guys in the crowd.

During Funny How Time Slips Away one tells the other how last year Elvis left the stage (in Pontiac) to change suits.

One of these guys keeps shouting at Elvis. During the intro of You Gave Me A Mountain, Elvis says, "I've seen you before somewhere." He was apparently referring to this gentleman, because the guy then brags about it to his buddy. IIRC, he is responsible for Elvis singing Reconsider Baby and Little Sister, because he was yelling out requests to Elvis. He also asked for Moody Blue and for Elvis to "play That's Alright Mama on the guitar."

Finally, the other guy says something to the effect of "He did enough for you."
Great stuff, thanks elvisjock!

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

I do have a great sounding alternate recording, released on a 2 cd set some time ago..
Sounds like it's recorded from a different side of the stage compared to the formiliar recording.
In fact I prefer this one over the well known "FTD" source.
But it doesn't sound like yours..
In fact the guy yelling to Elvis is the Herman tape.

Mine has Polk Salad Annie replaced by the "Herman tape" version.
Talking about the same stuff here?

I'll give it another spin, it's close to new year anyway;)

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

During the closing theme, at 1:40 the guy yells: "I told you he'd be back!"
Obviously raving this performance..

Same thing E-jock?

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvisjock wrote:It was recorded near John Herman's location, because you can hear some of the same fans' comments.
The alternate tape I know of is from a different part of the arena -- and someone who knows all about this recording is a member of this forum, although he doesn't visit much because of the fighting.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

I have never witnessed a fight here.

Topic author
elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

Robert wrote:During the closing theme, at 1:40 the guy yells: "I told you he'd be back!"
Obviously raving this performance..

Same thing E-jock?
I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I may have been unclear on one point. The two guys heard on the alternate tape are not heard at all on the Herman tape. But, some of the people on the Herman tape are heard on the alternate.

Is Herman the guy that yells, "Come oNNNNNNN ELLLVAAAS!" at the very beginning? If so, that's not who I'm talking about. (I especially enjoyed this guy's "Who cares.." when Elvis says he wants to introduce the members of his group.)

elvislennon
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by elvislennon »

The alternate recording of Pittsburgh 1976 New Years Eve concert that is on the cd Pittsburgh 76 is from the back of the stage. While the most famous one, the one that came out on Rockin' With Elvis On New Years Eve and recently the FTD New Years Eve is from the front of the stage or near the front. I got that info from a member of my forum. He knows alot of the Pittsburgh concert, I don't know if he is the same member that John is talking about.

Topic author
elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

elvislennon wrote:The alternate recording of Pittsburgh 1976 New Years Eve concert that is on the cd Pittsburgh 76 is from the back of the stage. While the most famous one, the one that came out on Rockin' With Elvis On New Years Eve and recently the FTD New Years Eve is from the front of the stage or near the front. I got that info from a member of my forum. He knows alot of the Pittsburgh concert, I don't know if he is the same member that John is talking about.
Then there must be at least three alternates. If Herman taped from the front of the stage, and the person that taped my alternate was behind the stage, you wouldn't hear the same fans on both recordings.

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

Here is a quote from the site Elvis In Norway on a review of FTD - New Years Eve. This part of the review talks about Pittsburgh 76.

"Pittsburgh '76 is a different story. First off, the original production is a CDR, which wreaks havoc on my older CD player. It too is an audience recording, but from a different spot in the house, namely from behind the stage. It is incomplete, and has quite a bit of noise distortion, especially in the beginning. It has been hailed as the better sounding version of this concert, but I don't know why? It has a different sound, but it certainly isn't better."
written by - Armond Joseph, Union, Missouri USA - April 2003

From a member of my site "Their is a CD-R that was made by a fan that is call Rockin' On New Years Eve 1976. This CD contains both audience recordings combine into one. The cd is in "Stereo" meaning that recording from Auld Lang Syne/New Years Eve/Rockin' On New Years Eve will be coming out the left speaker while the recording of Pittsburgh 76 is coming out of the right. This is a fan done CD and is not meant for a general release to fans. The idea of the CD is to give a better effect of the concert that FTD failed at. FTD just used the original tape that was used for the famous LP and digitally remastered it and improved the sound the best they could. But all fairness the idea lack the feel of the show since the other issues on import labels."

If anyone would like to hear this example please feel free to email at elvislennon2005@windstream.net and I will send either the songs Auld Lang Syne or Rags To Riches to you so you can here it.

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

elvisjock wrote:
elvislennon wrote:The alternate recording of Pittsburgh 1976 New Years Eve concert that is on the cd Pittsburgh 76 is from the back of the stage. While the most famous one, the one that came out on Rockin' With Elvis On New Years Eve and recently the FTD New Years Eve is from the front of the stage or near the front. I got that info from a member of my forum. He knows alot of the Pittsburgh concert, I don't know if he is the same member that John is talking about.
Then there must be at least three alternates. If Herman taped from the front of the stage, and the person that taped my alternate was behind the stage, you wouldn't hear the same fans on both recordings.

That is what being told by me. Their is only two recordings of the show. I listen to the CDs of Pittsburgh and New Years Eve all the time. I don't hear the same fans.

Topic author
elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

I'm listening to it now, and there is an intermittent sound that seems to be a movie camera. Perhaps the audio is a match to one of the several film sources we've seen over the years.

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

elvisjock wrote:I'm listening to it now, and there is an intermittent sound that seems to be a movie camera. Perhaps the audio is a match to one of the several film sources we've seen over the years.

Is it through the cd or just during some songs. I never heard that before.

drjohncarpenter

elvisjock wrote:Is Herman the guy that yells, "Come oNNNNNNN ELLLVAAAS!" at the very beginning?
My understanding is that this is terrific Presley photographer Bob Heis, who didn't have a ticket for the spot he was in!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

elvislennon wrote:
elvisjock wrote:I'm listening to it now, and there is an intermittent sound that seems to be a movie camera. Perhaps the audio is a match to one of the several film sources we've seen over the years.

Here and there, as it would be if someone was shooting home movies.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

(EDITED) :lol:

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

rickeap

Post by rickeap »

what about the line `Hey Joe, I'm focussing all right' which, i think, comes during Mountain?
Rick

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

elvisjock wrote:
elvislennon wrote:

I noticed the home movie camera clicking ever since I first heard the 2-LP set almost 30 years ago.

colonel snow
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by colonel snow »

one of the alternate recordings is available on two CDR's and at the ending the announcement for the souvenir shop is included.

colonel show

TONY

Post by TONY »

drjohncarpenter wrote:[ he doesn't visit much because of the fighting.
It's the same reason the guy won't watch "Kid Galahad"!!!!

elvislennon

Post by elvislennon »

elvisjock wrote:
elvislennon wrote:

I heard what you are talking about. That sound is of a movie camera shooting home movies.

colonel snow - the CD-R you are referring of the announcements is from the original tape that was originally used for Pittsburgh 76 but it never appear on the real cd at all. It was featured on the original release of that tape which was on CD-R. Crown got ahold of it and released it as Pittsburgh 76 and stop the recording after the closing vamp.

TONY

Post by TONY »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Is Herman the guy that yells, "Come oNNNNNNN ELLLVAAAS!" at the very beginning?
My understanding is that this is terrific Presley photographer Bob Heis, who didn't have a ticket for the spot he was in!
Do you happen to know the names of the other 16,799 audience members?!

drjohncarpenter

TONY wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:My understanding is that this is terrific Presley photographer Bob Heis, who didn't have a ticket for the spot he was in!
I don't know all of their names, but I do know many important fans were in attendance. You, of course, were not there.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

TONY wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I'll begin:

Bill
George
Ann
Julie
Maggie
Tim

Ben

Post by Ben »

Matthew wrote:
TONY wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
I'll begin:

Bill
George
Ann
Julie
Maggie
Tim
I'm sure i heard that George couldn't make it to this concert, you have given us some invaluable information thanks