Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

ELVIS (FOOL), NOW, COUNTRY AND LOVE LETTERS FTD

Post by frus75 »

Some of those particular 70's albums were assembled from leftovers from the same or from different recording sessions. In some other cases there are not enough outtakes (Elvis Country).

Starting with ELVIS (fool), as there are not so many alternates of Fool, Life I Lead, etc, and as it features material from the burning love sessions and the feb vegas stint, do you think it's the place to feature the march 72 sessions and aditional material from vegas 72?

With Elvis Now, is it the place to include the sessions from I'm Leaving, first time ever I saw your face and It's Only love singles. As the A side of First Time ever I saw your face was a vegas 72 recording that took place at the time the album was released was it the place (instead of FOOL) to feature vegas 72 material?

But those singles (I'm Leaving, It's Only Love) were released the same year of Love letters from elvis, and their B sides were recorded in june 70....

Elvis country is of course an important album, but almost all the songs in it were tackled in just one take...maybe fill it with the undubbed masters??

Iván

La voz del Rey

Peter66
Registered for: 21 years

Re: ELVIS (FOOL), NOW, COUNTRY AND LOVE LETTERS FTD

Post by Peter66 »

A tricky thing those would-be FTD projects.

Love Letters is the easiest one IMO. Add The First Time and Something (I think Something would have been a candidate) as well as Sylvia and you get a reasonalble CD. Add all outtakes and all songs without overdubbs. Here you go, should make a solid 2 CD set.

As for Country, well, one question would be: with or without the inserts of I Was Born... Well, maybe one CD with the inserts and one without? If you include all undubbed versions and the fully overdubbed version of Whole Lotta Shakin, it would easily make an interesting 2 CD set.

Elvis Now would be a fine vehicle for all 71 studio recordings.

Fool is the most tricky one, as most titels would/should be on the above mentioned Elvis Now album. I would prefer a FTD version of the Burning Love CD from the 90s anyway. On the other hand, a recreation of the Standing Room Only concept would be fascinating as well. Most likely we will get a recreation of the Fool album with all 72 material as bonus songs ("the singles") and outtakes and maybe all fully overdubbed versions of Always On My Mind, Fool and Seperate Ways.

Peter

Johanesson
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Johanesson »

In some other cases there are not enough outtakes (Elvis Country).
In this case there aren't a lot alternate takes,but there are enough to release a single FTD. And they can use bonus songs like 'Where Did They Go Lord?','Rags To Riches','Mystery Train / Tiger Man','A Hundred Years From Now' and 'I Didn't Make It On Playing Guitar'. With the undubbed/unedited masters,it may be even a double album.
Starting with ELVIS (fool), as there are not so many alternates of Fool, Life I Lead, etc
What are you talking about? There are 11 alternate takes 'Love Me Love The Life I Lead'!!! 10 of them are previously unreleased! Also,there are quite a lot UNRELEASED alternate takes of '(That's What You Get) For Loving Me','Padre' :mrgreen: and 'Where Do I Go From Here'. And let's not forget that the complete 'Don't Think Twice It's All Right' jam is more than 11 minutes long,so there is enough material to release a extended single disc version of 'Fool'.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Personally, I'd rather see them do the Now and Fool projects differently. All the '71 masters from these albums collected together, along with the '71 recorded singles and a disc of outtakes similar to I Sing All Kinds, but featuring only the secular material. This would be the place for the complete version of Don't Think Twice, It's Alright.

As for a Love Letters From Elvis FTD, that would be the place for Sylvia; The Sound of Your Cry and perhaps Rags To Riches and Where Did They Go Lord? (although I think the latter two are better suited to Elvis Country).

Johanesson
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Johanesson »

Pete Dube wrote:
Personally, I'd rather see them do the Now and Fool projects differently.
I agree. If 'Tickle Me' deserved it,'Fool' and 'Now' will deserve it,too :D
'Raised On Rock' sold very well,so hopefully Ernst will change his mind about the '70's albums. Most of them are very good!!! I hope they will re-release all of them separately.

JEFF d

Post by JEFF d »

I would very much like these in my collection... especially "Elvis Now" with addtional '71 masters and outakes! Always loved that album..... :D

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

dl
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by dl »

I don't think that those albums will be a problem. FTD can release them all as single-cds with the re-mastered versions of the original albums and a few outtakes/undubbed masters. The only thing that is still to be done is the addition of the singles that where not part of the original albums. The fans want it and FTD will deliver.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I'm content to let Ernst and crew sort out what goes where. I'll be fine with whatever they decide. Just keep Lene away from everything.

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

[quote][Love Letters is the easiest one IMO. Add The First Time and Something (I think Something would have been a candidate) as well as Sylvia and you get a reasonalble CD./quote]

You couldn't really take Sylvia off the Elvis Now album to add to the Love Letters album - it doesn't fit the concept of the classic album format at all.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

DarrylMac wrote: You couldn't really take Sylvia off the Elvis Now album to add to the Love Letters album - it doesn't fit the concept of the classic album format at all.
But vocally it is a much better fit with the Love Letters material than it was on Elvis Now. Regarding the '71 recorded material I still say that the best approach is to forget about the so-called classic albums concept and put all the '71 tracks together in the album that should've been ala For The Asking and Tomorrow Is a Long Time, but with a second disc of outtakes.

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

Pete,

But vocally it is a much better fit with the Love Letters material than it was on Elvis Now. Regarding the '71 recorded material I still say that the best approach is to forget about the so-called classic albums concept and put all the '71 tracks together in the album that should've been ala For The Asking and Tomorrow Is a Long Time, but with a second disc of outtakes.

I don't necessarily think that's a bad idea, but you couldn't call it Love Letters From Elvis, that's all. If we're sticking to the original albums, plus bonus tracks, you have to leave sylvia where it is.

Hav-A-Tampa
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

This is a list I made for myself a while ago, all of this stuff can of course be found on Keith Flynn's excellent site; anyway - the Elvis Country sessions, not a lot of outtakes, but if they include undubbed masters too they could fill a 2-CD set, I think. Most, if not all, of the takes that are still unreleased are probably incomplete or only false starts, but would still be a nice addition to make it as complete as possible!

Mystery Train/Tiger Man (jam - The Nashville Marathon)
I Was Born About 10,000 Years Ago (Take 1 master)
Faded Love (Country Version Take 1 - Essential Vol 4)
The Fool (Take 1 - Essential Vol 4)
The Fool (Take 2 master)
A Hundred Years From Now (Take 1 - Nashville Marathon)
A Hundred Years From Now (Take 2 - Essential Vol 4)
A Hundred Years From Now (Master, spliced from above takes - Walk A Mile In My Shoes)
Little Cabin On The Hill (Take 1 - Essential Vol 4)
Little Cabin On The Hill (Take 2 FS + master)
It's Your Baby You Rock It (Takes 1-2 unreleased)
It's Your Baby You Rock It (Take 3 - Nashville Marathon)
It's Your Baby You Rock It (Take 4 unreleased)
I Didn't Make It On Playing Guitar (Take 1 - jam - Essential Vol 4)
I Really Don't Want To Know (Takes 1-3 unreleased)
I Really Don't Want To Know (Take 4 master)
Faded Love (Take 1 master)
Faded Love (Take 2 unreleased)
Faded Love (Take 3 - Essential Vol 4)
Tomorrow Never Comes (Take 1 unreleased)
Tomorrow Never Comes (Take 2 Nashville Marathon)
Tomorrow Never Comes (Takes 3-5 unreleased)
Tomorrow Never Comes/Running Scared (Take 6 FS - Walk A Mile In My Shoes)
Tomorrow Never Comes (Take 7 announcement only)
Tomorrow Never Comes (Takes 8-12 unreleased)
Tomorrow Never Comes (Take 13 master)
Make The World Go Away (Takes 1-2 unreleased)
Make The World Go Away (Take 3, used for composite master with additional work part - Welcome To My World)
Funny How Time Slips Away (Take 1 master)
I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water (Take 1 master)
There Goes My Everything (Take 1 - Great Country Songs)
There Goes My Everything (Take 2 unreleased)
There Goes My Everything (Take 3 master)
Snowbird (Take 1 - Nashville Marathon)
Snowbird (Take 2 - Today Tomorrow & Forever)
Snowbird (Takes 3-5 unreleased)
Snowbird (Take 6 master)
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (Take 1 unreleased)
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (Take 2 master)

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:This is a list I made for myself a while ago, all of this stuff can of course be found on Keith Flynn's excellent site; anyway - the Elvis Country sessions, not a lot of outtakes, but if they include undubbed masters too they could fill a 2-CD set, I think. Most, if not all, of the takes that are still unreleased are probably incomplete or only false starts, but would still be a nice addition to make it as complete as possible!

Mystery Train/Tiger Man (jam - The Nashville Marathon)
I Was Born About 10,000 Years Ago (Take 1 master)
Faded Love (Country Version Take 1 - Essential Vol 4)
The Fool (Take 1 - Essential Vol 4)
The Fool (Take 2 master)
A Hundred Years From Now (Take 1 - Nashville Marathon)
A Hundred Years From Now (Take 2 - Essential Vol 4)
A Hundred Years From Now (Master, spliced from above takes - Walk A Mile In My Shoes)
Little Cabin On The Hill (Take 1 - Essential Vol 4)
Little Cabin On The Hill (Take 2 FS + master)
It's Your Baby You Rock It (Takes 1-2 unreleased)
It's Your Baby You Rock It (Take 3 - Nashville Marathon)
It's Your Baby You Rock It (Take 4 unreleased)
I Didn't Make It On Playing Guitar (Take 1 - jam - Essential Vol 4)
I Really Don't Want To Know (Takes 1-3 unreleased)
I Really Don't Want To Know (Take 4 master)
Faded Love (Take 1 master)
Faded Love (Take 2 unreleased)
Faded Love (Take 3 - Essential Vol 4)
Tomorrow Never Comes (Take 1 unreleased)
Tomorrow Never Comes (Take 2 Nashville Marathon)
Tomorrow Never Comes (Takes 3-5 unreleased)
Tomorrow Never Comes/Running Scared (Take 6 FS - Walk A Mile In My Shoes)
Tomorrow Never Comes (Take 7 announcement only)
Tomorrow Never Comes (Takes 8-12 unreleased)
Tomorrow Never Comes (Take 13 master)
Make The World Go Away (Takes 1-2 unreleased)
Make The World Go Away (Take 3, used for composite master with additional work part - Welcome To My World)
Funny How Time Slips Away (Take 1 master)
I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water (Take 1 master)
There Goes My Everything (Take 1 - Great Country Songs)
There Goes My Everything (Take 2 unreleased)
There Goes My Everything (Take 3 master)
Snowbird (Take 1 - Nashville Marathon)
Snowbird (Take 2 - Today Tomorrow & Forever)
Snowbird (Takes 3-5 unreleased)
Snowbird (Take 6 master)
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (Take 1 unreleased)
Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (Take 2 master)
Out of those 4 albums only "Elvis country" should be considered for FTD release IMO.
The others as noted are just leftover albums.
The best way to deal with the outtakes would be another Nashville marathon type release that focuses on a particular session rather than an album.