"I'm Leavin'", "First Time..", "It's Only Love" stereo mixes

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Matthew

"I'm Leavin'", "First Time..", "It's Only Love" stereo mixes

Post by Matthew »

On what releases did these recordings see their first stereo outings? The original singles, "Hits of the 70s", "Elvis Aron Presley"? I'm trying to establish if the original mixes have seen the light of day on CD as these were remixed on the 70s Box.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: "I'm Leavin'", "First Time..", "It's Only Love" stereo mixes

Post by Juan Luis »

Matthew wrote:On what releases did these recordings see their first stereo outings? The original singles, "Hits of the 70s", "Elvis Aron Presley"? I'm trying to establish if the original mixes have seen the light of day on CD as these were remixed on the 70s Box.
The singles were still in mono so I am sure EAP boxset..pretty sure. Need sample etc let me know...PS. The "original" single mixes are the mono ones..Suspicious Minds is a special case imo...the rest if not included in 331/3 LPs were mixed for mono as singles. So the first stereo mix no matter how many years after the fact of being recorded are original. Hope I am clear. Of course you must know stereo singles started in 72....

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Juan Luis wrote:
Matthew wrote:On what releases did these recordings see their first stereo outings? The original singles, "Hits of the 70s", "Elvis Aron Presley"? I'm trying to establish if the original mixes have seen the light of day on CD as these were remixed on the 70s Box.
The singles were still in mono so I am sure EAP boxset..pretty sure. Need sample etc let me know...PS. The "original" single mixes are the mono ones..Suspicious Minds is a special case imo...the rest if not included in 331/3 LPs were mixed for mono as singles. So the first stereo mix no matter how many years after the fact of being recorded are original. Hope I am clear. Of course you must know stereo singles started in 72....
You are quite right Juan. By original mixes I should have written original stereo mixes - ie their first stereo releases.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Matthew wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
You are quite right Juan. By original mixes I should have written original stereo mixes - ie their first stereo releases.
Thanks. Let me know if needing samples etc..

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thanks, I have "Elvis Aron Presley" so thats ok. Hmm. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" was the b-side to "An American Trilogy" in '72, but was it a stereo single - I cannot recall. Also, "I'm Leavin'" featured on the "Hits of the 70s" LP in '74.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Matthew wrote:Thanks, I have "Elvis Aron Presley" so thats ok. Hmm. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" was the b-side to "An American Trilogy" in '72, but was it a stereo single - I cannot recall. Also, "I'm Leavin'" featured on the "Hits of the 70s" LP in '74.
Ernst mixed out most of backup group to "The First Time"...on boxset. As pertaining to 74 70s hits I doubt in stereo BUT one never knows until listening. Btw...great it would be to find FTD in stereo!

Topic author
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Juan Luis wrote:Ernst mixed out most of backup group to "The First Time"...on boxset. As pertaining to 74 70s hits I doubt in stereo BUT one never knows until listening.
I also noticed from an A-B comparison with the 1995 mix that the second acoustic guitar heard on the intro and through the first verse on EAP is mixed out and doesn't come in until 0.33sec in the '95 mix. On EAP the second guitar melody is present from the start.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Matthew wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Ernst mixed out most of backup group to "The First Time"...on boxset. As pertaining to 74 70s hits I doubt in stereo BUT one never knows until listening.
I also noticed from an A-B comparison with the 1995 mix that the second acoustic guitar heard on the intro and through the first verse on EAP is mixed out and doesn't come in until 0.33sec in the '95 mix. On EAP the second guitar melody is present from the start.
Original or not. I prefer the 70s boxset version...those background voices get old with me sometimes.