More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
KiwiAlan
Registered for: 21 years

Bootlegs History

Post by KiwiAlan »

For those not in the loop.

I would find a history of bootlegs very interesting. How it started. The ownership of the labels. Cross ownership. Sales details . EVERYTHING!.

Apart from those in the public domain, names could be changed to protect the "innocent".

Perhaps those talking in riddles might like to contribute to a thread. Before you all die off :D

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Maurice Carver

Re: Bootlegs History

Post by Maurice Carver »

In the end, too much will be said.
They are also monitoring this site.
:smt021

Rob

Post by Rob »

Bootlegs? What's a bootleg?

If it is not an officially released CD, I'm not the least bit interested. I want all involved to get their proper share of royalties. I couldn't sleep at night knowing otherwise.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

A lot of interesting history and links are here -> Bootleg Recording - Wikipedia

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Buffalo Wings

Post by Buffalo Wings »

Highly recommended and essential book:

Regards,
Buffalo Wings
aka "Beatle Bob"
:)

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy, over?"

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

Try finding "Hot Wacks" books or "Hot Wacks Quarterly" magazines.

davepenny
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by davepenny »

If it is not an officially released CD, I'm not the least bit interested. I want all involved to get their proper share of royalties. I couldn't sleep at night knowing otherwise.
If you believe that buying "official" releases ensures that performer/musician royalties are being paid, Rob, I'm afraid you are labouring under a delusion. Just ask Scotty!

The bigger the record company, the more likely they are to wriggle out of paying royalties.

Topic author
KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Thanks Doc and Buffaloe.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Kiwi -- enjoy!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

Read Clinton Heyln's book "Bootleg". It is a very eye opening account of not only the bootleg industry but also the music industry. Most of the people do use their real names. It has a nice little chapter on Elvis bootlegs.

What will come as a shock to many fans is just how little money there is in the field. There is not the untold millions in lost profits that the record companies claim. A few sellers broke free and sold tons of copies but most sell a few thousand tops. The people in the industry are mostly dedicated fans.

colonel snow
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by colonel snow »

the first bootleggers were the people who recorded with portable recorders in the late 60's in the cinema the movie songs which were different to the Lp release. (in 1963 Philips invented the cassette tape!).

colonel snow

Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Maurice Carver wrote:In the end, too much will be said.

They are? Really?

Wonder what they think of the Forum then. It makes you wonder just WHO is looking in doesn't it? :wink:

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Liverbobs »

Little Darlin wrote:
Maurice Carver wrote:In the end, too much will be said.

They are? Really?

Wonder what they think of the Forum then. It makes you wonder just WHO is looking in doesn't it? :wink:
:smt006 smt176 smt176 smt176

LD They may be looking in RIGHT NOW !!!!!!

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Luuk

Post by Luuk »

likethebike wrote:Read Clinton Heyln's book "Bootleg". It is a very eye opening account of not only the bootleg industry but also the music industry. Most of the people do use their real names. It has a nice little chapter on Elvis bootlegs.

What will come as a shock to many fans is just how little money there is in the field. There is not the untold millions in lost profits that the record companies claim. A few sellers broke free and sold tons of copies but most sell a few thousand tops. The people in the industry are mostly dedicated fans.
I know someone who has a nice house, lots of art, a shop for his wife and a degree after a long study for himself. All paid for by selling nothing but bootlegs.
If this guy walked into a recordfair or Elvis convention, all fans swarmed around him like bees after honey! It's a surprise he never was robbed, carrying all that cash upon leaving for home.
In the seventies it was big bucks for dealers. That is why they were able to spend the cash on the rare previously unreleased tapes.

Funny story: when Joan Deary was at an Elvis convention, all known bootleg makers swarmed around her like bees looking for honey.

TALLHAIR 2

Post by TALLHAIR 2 »

only true in part. He sold many, but made few himself...
And .... he got caught by the authorities! Plus his father, who was in
poor health, died shortly after, when he and his wife were lifted
from their beds by the police at 4 in the morning, suspected
for being involved with their son's activities.... His heart problems
could not cope, and he died a shortwhile later. It's not only
fame and fortune friends....
"All bootleggers swarmed around Deary..." All ? Like how many
do you talk about in the Elvis world? Three, maybe four? And the
most famous one wasnt even there that day....

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

tallhair2 wrote: when he and his wife were lifted
from their beds by the police at 4 in the morning, suspected
for being involved with their son's activities....

Do the police even do that with drug dealers?

And all of this bootlegging and raids, and arrests are all BMG's fault, because if they released the material in the first place there would be no need for anyone to bootleg anything.

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Well...yeah, but if you're the owner of something, you want to be the one meting out portions..

"Get yer Elvis hotcakes!

ImageImageImageImageImage

I've wanted to read that "Bootleg" book for some time. I've heard it's a good one.

The real story will only be written long from today -when the principals are all gone, public domain rules the day, and only eccentrics cling to their beloved antique 'records" and "Cee Dees." :lol:

May there yet be some chapters left to write...!

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

How far do you go though Greg? There's a specific story in Heylin's book that details how the legendary "Behind Closed Doors" that came about because a janitor found a stash of tapes that RCA had THROWN out. For the longest time RCA didn't want it and didn't want to give it out.

Heylin brings up some good points as well about the actual ownership of concert recordings. (Recordings really should have been owned by Elvis who paid for and created them.)

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

LTB, catching up here - I'm just a realist about lawyers and such - that is when and if they care at all. (You can't fight city hall," etc).

Otherwise, I'm totally with the idea of saving Elvis tapes (or issuing them while we're still alive) as noted in your example. In fact, I view bootleggers as heros in that respect, especially the good ones.

On another recent but sort of old thread I just found on FTD sales, a "Richard Palmer" was trying to badger us into his idea that its hypocritical to be against copying FTDs and yet to also support boots. I don't buy it. And I wonder what his agenda was, come to think of it.

It's one of the reasons I find myself a defender of the European take on public domain laws, which is a very old concept originally regarding books.

I will vow to read that book on bootlegs in '08. Thanks for the reminder.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality