Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Vissie
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

In Days Gone By, Elvis Presley Box Set, Interviews, 1979

Post by Vissie »

This item is currently for sale on ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/In-Days-Gone-By-Elvis-Presley-Box-Set-Interviews-1979_W0QQitemZ200170255361QQihZ010QQcategoryZ433QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This 7 ¼” square box set of two 45 rpm-size records was issued by Ron D’Ambra Enterprises in 1979. The two records, which actually play at 33 1/3 rpm, are pressed on black vinyl with blue labels and come in plain white sleeves. The records contain recordings of Elvis interviews and press conferences. The box front features a head shot of Elvis, while the box back has an Elvis concert photo ghosted under record content information. The box is in excellent shape, with a couple of exceptions. One corner on the box top has a tear. On the box back, a 2 ¼” by ½” area has been carefully removed with an exacto knife under the line “Additional Copies and Record Catalog Available thru:” This was obviously done before sale by the product distributor, probably because there were no more additional copies left for sale. The area removed only affects the surface paper and does not cut into the box itself. I purchased this box set at a retail record store in 1979 and have been its only owner. The records have been played just a couple of times since then and are in excellent condition with no scratches or nicks. The set also contains four 5” x 7” photos of Elvis, all in original condition. Side One: (1) Portland Oregon Press Conference, (2) San Antonio Press Conference. Side Two: Elvis in the Army. Side Three: Elvis Talks About His Career. Side Four: (1) 1973 Aloha Press Conference, (2) Interviews.

In 2 books I've recently completed, I read that Elvis didn't actually give interviews. Is this true? If it is, then what interviews might this seller be referring to?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: In Days Gone By, Elvis Presley Box Set, Interviews, 1979

Post by ekenee »

Vissie, The statement that Elvis never gave interviews is totally untrue. It is true that he gave more earlier in his career, but he still gave many many interviews over his lifetime.
Elvis gave very few TV interviews that is true.
BMG/RCA have released several over the years.

Chad Gates

Post by Chad Gates »

Here is a link to just aout all of the interviews and press confrences given by Elvis

http://www.elvis.net/interview/inter.html

Hope you enjoy listening to him as much as you do reading about him.

Alan

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Thank you both so much! I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me ;) (off to read the link!)

colonel snow
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by colonel snow »

the box set was volume 1; a single EP in the same format 33 RPM was released as volume 2 around 1980 with some pictures added.
the cover was white without any prints/photos.
the interviews were 1960 and army interviews.

colonel snow

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

colonel snow wrote:the box set was volume 1; a single EP in the same format 33 RPM was released as volume 2 around 1980 with some pictures added.
the cover was white without any prints/photos.
the interviews were 1960 and army interviews.

colonel snow
Thank you col snow ~ I appreciate your reply ;)

Chad, thank you for sharing that link! Image What fabulous recordings!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

I recently verified the dates and sources on both volumes of this series. If you like, I'll go and dig them up for you.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:I recently verified the dates and sources on both volumes of this series. If you like, I'll go and dig them up for you.
I wouldn't want to put you through any trouble good doctor. If you feel inclined, I am interested in learning as much as I can about Elvis including his many recordings.

drjohncarpenter

I'll have a look.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Justin

Post by Justin »

Chad Gates wrote:Here is a link to just aout all of the interviews and press confrences given by Elvis

http://www.elvis.net/interview/inter.html

Hope you enjoy listening to him as much as you do reading about him.

Alan

That link is incredible!

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Yes I second that .. I lost this site when my Computer crashed!!

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Vissie, another thing. I have both volumes of this set. I haven't played them in years but here is few tidbits.

Volume 2 is the march 1960 Graceland press conference complete. also comes with a nice booklet.

On volume 1 they list Portland press conference, but this is NOT the portland press conference; but it is the Portland TV interview done at the Portland train station in 1957. It is the edited version if I recall correctly, the same as it is from 'this is elvis'.

Side 3 is elvis on stage.

The box also comes with 4 5x7 pictures.

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Mike Eder »

Good sound quality.About 8 years ago I had a little 45 boot review section on here and liked this one best.

Mike Eder

TONY

Post by TONY »

[quote="ekenee"]
Volume 2 is the march 1960 Graceland press conference complete. also comes with a nice booklet.
quote]

You can see this press conference in it's entirety on the Graceland tour DVD and, I believe Joe Tunzi's Sinatra show dvd. An edited version also appears with the "Elvis is back" book/dvd package. And Vissie, if you thought Elvis never gave interviews, think again! For starters, check out the 40 minute plus interview on the cd "All that I am" which reveals plenty, and try and get hold of the full 38 minute interview from 1962 issued under the title "Face to face".

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

ekenee wrote:Vissie, another thing. I have both volumes of this set. I haven't played them in years but here is few tidbits.

On volume 1 they list Portland press conference, but this is NOT the portland press conference; but it is the Portland TV interview done at the Portland train station in 1957. It is the edited version if I recall correctly, the same as it is from 'this is elvis'.

Side 3 is elvis on stage.

The box also comes with 4 5x7 pictures.
ekenee, many thanks! I appreciate the information ;)
Good sound quality.About 8 years ago I had a little 45 boot review section on here and liked this one best.
Thanks Mike ~
You can see this press conference in it's entirety on the Graceland tour DVD and, I believe Joe Tunzi's Sinatra show dvd. An edited version also appears with the "Elvis is back" book/dvd package. And Vissie, if you thought Elvis never gave interviews, think again! For starters, check out the 40 minute plus interview on the cd "All that I am" which reveals plenty, and try and get hold of the full 38 minute interview from 1962 issued under the title "Face to face".
Tony, I was only going by what I read. I don't have enough knowledge about Elvis to know much about his history regarding interviews. I love listening to him talk! Thanks for the heads-up on these!

drjohncarpenter

Vissie, these are the contents of the three 7" singles (33 and 1/3 RPM), released in the late 1970s:

ELVIS ...
IN DAYS GONE BY

30738A
Portland, OR train station chat, 9.2.57
San Antonio, TX interview, 10.14.56

30738B
Friedberg, Germany, arrival, 10.1.58
Fort Dix, NJ, exit from army 3.3.60

30739A
Monologue, Las Vegas, NV 8.69 (audience tape)

30739B
"Aloha" press conference, Las Vegas, NV 9.2.72
Dialogue, Las Vegas, NV 9.2.74 DS (audience tape)

ELVIS ...
IN DAYS GONE BY - VOL. 2

30740A
Memphis, TN, press conference, Vernon's office, 3.60

30740B
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Vissie, these are the contents of the three 7" singles (33 and 1/3 RPM), released in the late 1970s:

ELVIS ...
IN DAYS GONE BY

30738A
Portland, OR train station chat, 9.2.57
San Antonio, TX interview, 10.14.56

30738B
Friedberg, Germany, arrival, 10.1.58
Fort Dix, NJ, exit from army 3.3.60

30739A
Monologue, Las Vegas, NV 8.69 (audience tape)

30739B
"Aloha" press conference, Las Vegas, NV 9.2.72
Dialogue, Las Vegas, NV 8.74 (audience tape)

ELVIS ...
IN DAYS GONE BY - VOL. 2

30740A

30740B
Good doctor, thank you! I have printed this out and will tuck it away in my Elvis files. As usual, your attention to detail is impressive ;)

drjohncarpenter

Vissie wrote:Good doctor, thank you! I have printed this out and will tuck it away in my Elvis files. As usual, your attention to detail is impressive ;)
You are welcome. While others seemingly devote their time to constantly denigrating my contributions out of pure jealousy, it is the gracious forum members like yourself who will keep me right here.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Ben

Post by Ben »

drjohncarpenter wrote:You are welcome. While others seemingly devote their time to constantly denigrating my contributions out of pure jealousy, it is the gracious forum members like yourself who will keep me right here.
How Da' Man, DOC??
You Da Man, DOC :wink:
i love your posts and i get sick of people who just goad you into arguments, ignore ;em n count to 10 :wink: LOL they said that to me at school(I Never Listened)

drjohncarpenter

ben wrote:How Da' Man, DOC??
i love your posts and i get sick of people who just goad you into arguments, ignore ;em n count to 10 :wink: LOL they said that to me at school(I Never Listened)
ben, if I am ever fortunate enough to visit Leeds, I will buy you a pint for your kindness.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Ben

Post by Ben »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ben wrote:How Da' Man, DOC??
i love your posts and i get sick of people who just goad you into arguments, ignore 'em n count to 10 :wink: LOL they said that to me at school(I Never Listened)
Ben, if I am ever fortunate enough to visit Leeds, I will buy you a pint for your kindness.
of what, Orange Juice LOL I'm only 16 you'll have to wait a few years :wink: but you really know what your talking about your one of the best on the forum, ill hold ya to that pint :P

drjohncarpenter

ben wrote:of what, Orange Juice LOL I'm only 16 you'll have to wait a few years :wink: but you really know what your talking about your one of the best on the forum, ill hold ya to that pint :P
Don't fret, it'll take me at least 5 years to get over the pond again. Keep on rockin' and enjoy all the great Elvis music you have yet to hear -- there's a ton!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Ben

Post by Ben »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ben wrote:of what, Orange Juice LOL I'm only 16 you'll have to wait a few years :wink: but you really know what your talking about your one of the best on the forum, ill hold ya to that pint :P
Don't fret, it'll take me at least 5 years to get over the pond again. Keep on rockin' and enjoy all the great Elvis music you have yet to hear -- there's a ton!
good, ill meat you then its a date :P. i know theres loads of things i haven't heard yet, just the other day i heard Portrait Of My Love(I Don't know if its called that but i think, on the Hang Loose CD) and i keep trying to find 'new' songs to listen to. :D
:smt006
Last edited by Ben on Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Mike Eder »

I think the 1974 Vegas dialog comes from the 9-2-74 dinner show.

Mike Eder

drjohncarpenter

Mike Eder wrote:I think the 1974 Vegas dialog comes from the 9-2-74 dinner show.
That could be -- it is definitely at the end of the engagement, when he began to rage over the "junk" being printed about him in the "movie magazines."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.