The Persistence of EP & MYTH

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

ColinB

Re: The Persistence of EP & MYTH

Post by ColinB »

Cryogenic wrote:In "Careless Love", there's a part where EP "justifies" his (ab)use by saying ....... he seeks inner silence and the drugs bring him closest to that silence.
I empathise with that.......................... my guts rumble sometimes too.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
N880EP

Post by N880EP »

Well, guys, one of the points I wanted to make with this thread was that much of the fandom (& EPE) is creating a mythology by recasting historical facts in a more preferred light, emphasizing the good / de-emphasizing the bad, exaggerating tales to suit different needs, ......... until EP the "man" eventually fades under the shadow of mythical image. The process of myth creation has its own goal and that destination is miles away from historical accuracy.

For some, it can be a gathering of hobbyists (like this MB, some, critically thinking), or "followers" completely lost in a mythical world ("Lighted Candle") equally devoid of critical faculties, to groups of somewhat militant fans (most, uncritically thinking) who defend EP as a sacrifical victim deserving of the highest sympathy and even feeling compelled to protect him (various other MB's, probably the majority) against any sullying of his image whatsoever.

Myth is created and exists so that people can simplify a complex subject, understand it easily, and most of all ............................ feel good about everything. It's human nature and, as it applies to The EP World, .............. extremely fascinating.

All my best, fellow fans.

N8
... just a little ol' fan ....

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

We all mythologise Elvis -- and life -- in our own ways. None of us are "immune" to this problem.

The human mind is drawn to comforting notions. But it's also drawn to story. If you have to remember a big pile of seemingly arbitrary details, then fashioning them into a narrative can really aid recollection. I did this recently when watching a quiz show based on mental agility. A load of symbols and images come flying at the screen, one after the other, and contestants are asked questions about them -- "Can you name all the green items? Which things did you see that were related to cars? Which things had numbers on them?" and so on. As the images flew by, I made a story in real-time and found I was able to answer even the questions that the contestants struggled with. Story is amazing and should not be underestimated.

If you put the desire for comfort, and the memory-empowering effect of story-telling together, you have a powerful equation. However, the desire for comforting stuff affects the way you shape the story and recall it. Eventually, the story accretes so much detail, and is so removed from reality, that it replaces reality for some people.

Topic author
N880EP

Post by N880EP »

Cryogenic wrote:We all mythologise Elvis -- and life -- in our own ways. None of us are "immune" to this problem.
Yes, because we are all human. However, the key point here is ........... to try not to.
Cryogenic wrote:Story is amazing and should not be underestimated.
The power of story telling is indeed amazing ................ so long as it is clearly classified as "Fantasy" / "Fiction" .......... or "For Entertainment Purposes" ...... as a label or disclaimer. This is the key delineation as I reference it in this thread.

Btw, ........... I created this thread, precisely because of the power of story telling and because it should not be "underestimated."
Cryogenic wrote:If you put the desire for comfort, and the memory-empowering effect of story-telling together, you have a powerful equation.
Yes, but to paraphrase CS ............. "We can view the world as we wish is to be, ...... or as it really is." The later is much more satisfying & enlightening (at least for me).

--------------------

Once again, all my best, fellow fans.

N8
... just a fan ....

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

N880EP wrote:The book "Elvis & Gladys" is yet another rarity that belongs on any truly "Essential" list.

-------------------

I will also add: Elvis & Gladys (the individuals, not the book) both died at an unnecessarily young age, secondary to both, abuse of their bodies, and an inability to ultimately cope.

I believe Gladys was indeed a truly remarkable woman ........ I also believe, because of that, that she was the only single person in the world that could have actually helped Elvis later in life when he needed it most (had she been able to overcome her own difficulties).

As stated, however, both had many of the same attributes (including the positive) ....... and both also wrestled with the same demons ............... ultimately being enveloped by them.

N8
... just a fan ....
One of my favorite all time posts...and will say "really" cause of the irony,cynics etc..of these boards lately. Thank you JL...

Mike in New Jersey
Location: Well, I don't live in New Jersey anymore.. does that mean I have to change my screen name? :-)

Post by Mike in New Jersey »

Hi folks,

What's to say that had Gladys lived any of the things that happened to Elvis in his later years (or bringing back Pricilla from Germany for that matter) would have happened in the first place... perhaps no confrontation would have been needed, because Elvis might not have gone down the same path with Gladys still alive.

Mike

TJ

Post by TJ »

N880EP wrote:Well, guys, one of the points I wanted to make with this thread was that much of the fandom (& EPE) is creating a mythology by recasting historical facts in a more preferred light, emphasizing the good / de-emphasizing the bad, exaggerating tales to suit different needs, ......... until EP the "man" eventually fades under the shadow of mythical image. The process of myth creation has its own goal and that destination is miles away from historical accuracy. .
I think some of the motivation for this is to redress the balance, even if tipping too far the other way. You seem to be concerned that there will end up being a mythical image of Elvis that is too unrealistic and positive to be accurate. I don't see much evidence of that really happening. Historical accuracy has already been undermined the other way by the relentless degradation of the man in the media. It's probably correct to say that he has got a pretty fair deal in recent years from serious music publications and even the news media, but the negativity of earlier years has had a profound impact. We are at a point where in a word association test, a non-fan who is asked to name 5 words they would associate with Elvis would be very unlikely not to mention 'drugs' or 'burgers'. Perhaps I'm overstating that, but you get my point. Now yes both words could reasonably be associated with Elvis, but wouldn't it be nice if his enormous talent and massive achievements in the entertainment world came more readily to mind? What does exist in the eyes of the general public is a pretty warped caricature of the man, with the negative elements often to the fore. The challenge for those who care about how Elvis is remembered is to promote a more balanced image, which doesn't ignore the negatives, but does at least put them in context. And yes, you're right that some fans are incapable of that, because they won't admit Elvis really had any flaws. I don't think their voices are particularly strong in the grand scheme of things though. I mean they've had little impact on the public's current view of the man have they? Why is that going to change?

I'm not sure EPE suppresses the bad completely. Even Elvis by the Presleys was pretty frank about some of his personal failings, mainly in the area of infidelity. From memory, I don't remember too much focus on the drugs issue, but there really didn't need to be. The issue is so strongly associated with Elvis that no effort to suppress it stands a chance anyway, particularly as books are still coming out which provide us with intimate details. Yes, there is an argument to be made in relation to merchandising and the erasing of post Aloha Elvis by EPE. That said, does any estate of any major star market an image of their star off peak and in poor health? Does the Sinatra estate go with images of an 80 yr old Frank to promote their products?

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Outstanding post TJ!

Topic author
Steve_M

Post by Steve_M »

This is something that personally disappoints me.

I too feel that Elvis is being let down by over exaggerating his success. In other words if we have to over hype / exaggerate / make up / white lie / whatever, then the points we do this with can't be worth mentioning in the first place.

Sure, we've come a long way from "Colonel Parker invented Elvis and without each other the fairy tale of Elvis' life would never have been".

The last classic example for me was that in 1973 the worlds population was about 3 billion.
Many now claim that Aloha was seen live by 1.5 billion people.
I doubt it was seen live by 400 million, but I'd accept maybe double that figure saw the first broadcast of it in their respective country in 1973.
But you see the general over hyped "facts" that are letting Elvis down. In time the tables will turn, the media will pick up on the inaccuracy and it will be used for negative effect to show that "facts" about Elvis aren't worth mentioning and instead they'll focus on artists whose representatives dont have to BS to get their star up in the ratings.

Elvis was very good, good enough to stand on the truth, not to have it embellished.

If another artist comes along and has sold more records than Elvis, we shouldn't have to lie in order to keep his name at the top, we should accept that someone else has done brilliantly to beat it and take confort that Elvis is a respective second. I'm not saying this is the case, I'm just sighting a possible example.

Topic author
N880EP

Post by N880EP »

TJ wrote:I think some of the motivation for this is to redress the balance, even if tipping too far the other way. You seem to be concerned that there will end up being a mythical image of Elvis that is too unrealistic and positive to be accurate. I don't see much evidence of that really happening. Historical accuracy has already been undermined the other way by the relentless degradation of the man in the media.

What does exist in the eyes of the general public is a pretty warped caricature of the man, with the negative elements often to the fore.
TJ, the creation of MYTH is a double edged sword that cuts both ways. Both ends of the spectrum are equally false.

Historical accuracy, in general, can only be reached with objective critical analysis ......... and educating oneself about a topic & its subsidiary issues. (In short, .... a lot of work & effort.)
TJ wrote:The challenge for those who care about how Elvis is remembered is to promote a more balanced image, which doesn't ignore the negatives, but does at least put them in context.
Agreed, 100%. Precisely the point of this thread.
TJ wrote:I'm not sure EPE suppresses the bad completely.

They suppress "selectively." "Completely" would be too blatant and make them look ridiculous.
TJ wrote:Even Elvis by the Presleys was pretty frank about some of his personal failings, mainly in the area of infidelity.
Was it "frank" about Pris.' infidelities. The break up of a marriage invariably takes two. In this case, EP-BTP's was serving to create a positive MYTH about Pris..
TJ wrote:From memory, I don't remember too much focus on the drugs issue, but there really didn't need to be. The issue is so strongly associated with Elvis that no effort to suppress it stands a chance anyway, particularly as books are still coming out which provide us with intimate details.
The estate has always glossed over this issue and given it a very, very superficial treatment. IMO, they should indeed give a hard, objective, & critical analysis and come to terms with it. The estate doing so, would be a first step for much of the denying fandom to follow and do the same.
TJ wrote:Yes, there is an argument to be made in relation to merchandising and the erasing of post Aloha Elvis by EPE. That said, does any estate of any major star market an image of their star off peak and in poor health? Does the Sinatra estate go with images of an 80 yr old Frank to promote their products?
The Sinatra Estate also doesn't market Sinatra sandals, Sinatra dog clothing / accessories, faux Sinatra foreheads & wigs, Sinatra "My Way" underpants, etc..

-----------------------

Mike in NJ - I agree that EP's life would have taken a different course entirely had his mother lived, my speculation was "if" Gladys had stepped back into EP's life in the 70's.

At any rate, the key point to remember here is that Gladys herself was unable to overcome her own demons, which makes all of this speculation ............ mute. On that note (some more "fantasy" speculation) ---> had Gladys been able to overcome her own addictions, it would have placed her in a much better position to help her son - had things turned out differently.

-----------------------
Steve_M wrote:Elvis was very good, good enough to stand on the truth, not to have it embellished.
Exactly.

The Music, has ............ and always will ........... fight back and speak for itself.

N8
... just a fan ....