Elvis vs. Duke Bardwell--Why?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Rob
Registered for: 8 years

Re: Elvis vs. Duke Bardwell--Why?

Post by Rob »

It is the opinion of this fan that it would have been very difficult to stay with Elvis beyond 1974. That's when I would have put in an application at McDonald's.

I wouldn't have written a tell-all book as long as I got to work in the drive-thru.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

Speaking of McDonald's, it is unfortunate that Hamburger James has not written a book yet. He could provide some missing pieces to the puzzle.

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Dan_T »

jurasic1968 wrote:You are completely mistaken.
No, he is not mistaken at all... a certain member here chased away a fan who knew Elvis personally , with their constant accusations that Charlie was Gay ! and she wasn't the the only one that had enough of this forum.

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Dan_T »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:You are completely mistaken.
Indeed he is, and his comment serves NO purpose on this topic.
No, he is not completely mistaken.

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by TJ »

For some groups of guys, ridicule and name calling is a part of the group dynamic and no harm is meant. It's regarded as banter and even considered to be a way of showing affection without actually saying something affectionate. If you are one of the boys, you are mocked with the rest of them. I think that at least some of the so-called "bullying" did fall into that category, but it probably did go too far sometimes. None of us were there though, so we should maybe cool it with too many assumptions. When you see Elvis kicking a member of the team, it can look a bit dodgy, but then you watch home movie footage of them fighting on the road trip and it's evident that the guys weren't worried about giving back as good as they got. They were rough and ready types.

The Lamar water footage does look like Elvis taking advantage of his position and mocking a guy who works for him, but just maybe Lamar had it coming and it was a slightly theatrical "punishment" for something he'd said or done. These were guys who had water fights, ie they could be pretty childish at times. My points are pure speculation, but it's also speculation to assume that Lamar was definitely being bullied and that he would have seen it that way.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Elvis is also criticized here. Not everything he did in his career and private life was flawless. So a critical opinion is normal, in my point of view. Nobody is perfect, right?
Maybe Felton Jarvis?
Don't forget about Tom Diskin.
And his boss, The Manager's Manager, The good ol' Colonel Tom Parker.

Fabbe
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Fabbe »

TJ wrote:For some groups of guys, ridicule and name calling is a part of the group dynamic and no harm is meant. It's regarded as banter and even considered to be a way of showing affection without actually saying something affectionate. If you are one of the boys, you are mocked with the rest of them. I think that at least some of the so-called "bullying" did fall into that category, but it probably did go too far sometimes. None of us were there though, so we should maybe cool it with too many assumptions. When you see Elvis kicking a member of the team, it can look a bit dodgy, but then you watch home movie footage of them fighting on the road trip and it's evident that the guys weren't worried about giving back as good as they got. They were rough and ready types.

The Lamar water footage does look like Elvis taking advantage of his position and mocking a guy who works for him, but just maybe Lamar had it coming and it was a slightly theatrical "punishment" for something he'd said or done. These were guys who had water fights, ie they could be pretty childish at times. My points are pure speculation, but it's also speculation to assume that Lamar was definitely being bullied and that he would have seen it that way.
absolutely - when I was younger we called each other names (unpolitacally correct) and everybody was happy - it was a way of being close to each other. Coming back to Elvis - he was living an extra-ordinary life, the memphis mafia was living an extra-ordinary life, the relation between Elvis and the Memphis Mafia was extra-ordinary (boss, friend, start etc), those times were extra- ordinary. You can't apply ordinary parameters to evaluate the extra-ordinary lives and interactions among the group.

Paulo Pereira
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Post by Paulo Pereira »

Well, this post seem to be incorrect. If you read Bardwell's interview at http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/duke-bardwell.shtml, he NEVER threw his TCB ring... and he still loves Elvis until this day: "I never stopped loving him. To me, he was the Elvis of the 50s and I was always looking for that in him. That energy, that mysticism and all of that. I knew that what I had there in '74/'75 wasn't necessarily all that, but there was enough of him still there. I was crazy about him. I'm sorry that I did not please him always ... sh*t happens." So, despite some bad things, this is what Duke himself declares. That's all. There was NEVER a Duke vs. Elvis issue.Furthermore: by 1974-75, Elvis had his behavior altered by medications etc, and you can't expect him to act normally like in the old days. Many things he did and said in those last years was a consequence of his altered state of mind.
Last edited by Paulo Pereira on Mon May 29, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rockin_John
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Rockin_John »

Keep on Rockin'