More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Re: Kid Galahad

Post by JamesVRoy »

pacer wrote:
2. Was this Charles Bronsons first major role?
No, Machingun Kelley in 1958 and The Magnificent Seven in 1960

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

According to Steve Tamerius and Fred L. Worth, the movie ranked on #37 for the year 1962 on Variety's Top Box Office Chart with a take of $1.7 million. The highest it obtained in a single week was #9. All of these figures were more than respectable for the period but were a drop in the bucket compared to the bonanza of "Blue Hawaii" which not only made Top 20 in both 1961 and 1962 but spawned a best selling LP and a major hit single. Plus, Elvis' musicals did much better foreign gross.

"Kid Galahad" is a remake of a 1937 Warner Brothers' Bogart film. The Elvis version was adapted for him.

"Magnificent Seven" was 1960. Since United Artists distibuted both movies, I have to assume that Bronson, at the time far from a star, was a contract player there. Bronson and Elvis reportedly did not get along.

I agree that it is indeed a good movie with a fine supporting casts and a beautiful location shoot. The problem some fans have with it is that it is not a hard hitting boxing film like the original. Rather it is a tribute to small town American life and the power of positive thinking. It is very effective in the way demonstrates the way a person with a galvanizing personality and the right attitude can redeem even an entire town. When Elvis sings "I Got Lucky" he's not just singing to Joan Blackman, he's crystallizing the way the people in the community feel about his character and vice versa.

The boxing element only provides a method for this awareness. The gangster challenge is necessary because it makes us aware that some people will work to take what we have away and that we do have to stand up and fight for it occasionally. What's at stake in "Kid Galahad" is that Elvis' character Walter Gulick gets people to realize that it is worth it to take a stand, there are things worth protecting. At the end of the movie, all of the major characters have attitude adjustments (save Joan Blackman) and take stands they wouldn't have taken at the beginning.

While the music in the movie may not be the best in an Elvis movie, it is unusual in that all the songs except arguably "A Whistling Tune" expand and define character.

Vissie
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Vissie »

It was widely reported that Bronson didn't get along with Presley, so they remained distant while on set. The story wasn't written for Elvis as it was a remake of the 1937 version starring Edward G. Robinson and Bette Davis.

It opened nationwide on August 29, 1962 and did fairly respectably at the box office earning $1.75 million domestically.

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Pete Dube »

pacer wrote:I thought the Magnificent Seven was a few years later. Loved to know then how he got involved in this movie - he must have been riding high after the Mag Seven. What attracted him to an Elvis movie?
The paycheck. Reportedly (I think it was in Elvis What Happened?) Bronson wasn't particularly friendly to Elvis or impressed with Elvis' showing off with on set karate demonstrations. But from what I understand Bronson was a bit of an aloof guy by nature who would sometimes walk off by himself between takes on movie sets rather than rub elbows with other cast members, and also wasn't the type to blow smoke up Elvis' (or for that matter anyone elses) a$$. Elvis had the MM for that.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Vissie wrote:It was widely reported that Bronson didn't get along with Presley, so they remained distant while on set. The story wasn't written for Elvis as it was a remake of the 1937 version starring Edward G. Robinson and Bette Davis.

It opened nationwide on August 29, 1962 and did fairly respectably at the box office earning $1.75 million domestically.
That would equate to $11.5M today.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

likethebike

Post by likethebike »

The Steven h. Scheur film guide once gave the film a three star rating and said "much better written, acted and directed than might be expected."

Colin the gross is not comparable to today because of changes in the industry. For instance, major films open wide in 4-7 times the theaters that they did in the early 1960s and late 1950s.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

likethebike wrote:Colin the gross is not comparable to today because of changes in the industry.
For instance, major films open wide in 4-7 times the theaters that they did in the early 1960s and late 1950s.
Oh, yes, I know.

But the figure I quoted is simply allowing for inflation between then & now, to put the low 1962 figure into some sort of perspective......................

Colin B

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Mike Eder »

Very good soundtrack and one of my favorites. It really is much more enjoyable then the more famous 60's Hal Wallis musicals.

Mike Eder

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

Always been one of my favourites.

Thanks for inflating up the $$$s Colin.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

BIGREDG wrote:Always been one of my favourites.

Thanks for inflating up the $$$s Colin.
YW.

It wasn't a great film by any standard.

But it came from that period when they did at least care about the script, the storyline, the casting, the production standards and values.

Things were to go downhill soon after.....................

Colin B

Elvisgirl
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Elvisgirl »

great movie

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

It's ranks among Elvis' better film efforts. He plays his character well, the supporting cast, particularly Gig Young and Charles Bronson, are excellent, the boxing sequences are reasonably well-handled and exciting, and the mob sub-plot (particularly the breaking of Bronson's hands) adds a bit grit.

There are no embarassments in the handful of songs (Riding the Rainbow and A Whistling Tune are lightweight but not unpleasant) . King of the Whole Wide World is a near classic, Home Is Where the Heart Is is a vastly underrated ballad, I Got Lucky a catchy mid-tempo pop-rocker of the Don't Be Cruel school, This Is Living a decent up-tempo pop-rocker.

There's no bevy of bikini-clad babes, no beaches, clams, clambakes, shrimp or papayas, and no spotlight-sharing kids in sight.

I wish Elvis had done more light drama/less songs type of films.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Pete Dube wrote:There's no bevy of bikini-clad babes.
Damn it!

nigel

Post by nigel »

ColinB, Thanks for the box office figures in today's $. Does your calculation allow for both inflation and non inflationary rise in ticket prices over the years?

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

nigel wrote:ColinB, Thanks for the box office figures in today's $. Does your calculation allow for both inflation and non inflationary rise in ticket prices over the years?
Simply adjusted for US inflation between the two dates....

Colin B

BigredG
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

ColinB wrote:
nigel wrote:ColinB, Thanks for the box office figures in today's $. Does your calculation allow for both inflation and non inflationary rise in ticket prices over the years?
Awh come on Colin, that is simply not good enough !! :lol:

You gotta factor in everything. What about the stagerring rise in the price of popcorn - does that have any influence ?

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

I always like KG alot, from the superb acting, to the beautiful scenery.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

BIGREDG wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Awh come on Colin, that is simply not good enough !! :lol:

You gotta factor in everything.
What about the stagerring rise in the price of popcorn - does that have any influence ?
Well, if it was enough to reflect in the inflation rate, the answer is ............ yes it did !

Colin B

Christopher Brown
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Christopher Brown »

This is one my favourite scripted Elvis films, and is one of five or six I watch often, with the others being Change Of Habit, Follow That Dream, Fun In Acapulco, Girls! Girls! Girls! and Spinout (the one that made me a fan).

I've always loved the soundtrack, short but sweet, the supporting cast is wonderful in every way, its filmed on location and Elvis has few "cringe inducing" scenes found in many of his other films. I could watch this one with non-Elvis fans and have a good time, as well as Change of Habit. (Ed Answer was great in his small bit!)

Christopher Brown

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by emjel »

ColinB - so you're using approx 4.2% inflation. But are you trying to compare the return of $11.75m to some of today's films. If so, wouldn't you need to include increase in population together with increase in spending power. Just a thought.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

emjel wrote:ColinB - so you're using approx 4.2% inflation.
But are you trying to compare the return of $11.75m to some of today's films.
If so, wouldn't you need to include increase in population together with increase in spending power.
Just a thought.
I wasn't trying to compare anything.

I just used an online inflation adjuster to convert 1962 US dollars into 2006 ones [they won't have 2007 until the year is complete].

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition !

[Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition ! - The Management]

Colin B

Vissie
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Vissie »

ColinB wrote:
emjel wrote:ColinB - so you're using approx 4.2% inflation.
But are you trying to compare the return of $11.75m to some of today's films.
If so, wouldn't you need to include increase in population together with increase in spending power.
Just a thought.
I wasn't trying to compare anything.

I just used an online inflation adjuster to convert 1962 US dollars into 2006 ones [they won't have 2007 until the year is complete].

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition !

[Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition ! - The Management]
I still like you Colin Image

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Vissie wrote:I still like you Colin Image
As Claude Rains said at the end of Casablanca:

"This could be the start of a beautiful friendship"

Colin B