Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Garth Brooks outsells Elvis?

Post by elvis4life »

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/country%20star%20outsells%20elvis_1049094

"Country star Garth Brooks has overtaken Elvis Presley to become the bestselling solo artist in history, according to new record industry figures.

The singer has sold an amazing 123 million units in his career, the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) confirmed yesterday, while awarding Brooks Diamond Awards for his albums Sevens and Garth Brooks.

Four of the country crooner's albums have received Diamond Awards, for sales of more than ten million copies each.

The Standing Outside the Fire singer accepted the latest accolade for his work at a ceremony held at his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, outside the Capitol Records tower.

"This award reflects the magnitude of the country audience and what they can accomplish when they act together," Brooks said at the presentation.

RIAA figures place Elvis' sales at 118.5 million units, with only the Beatles ahead of Brooks with 170 million units sold.

"He has always been true to country music as a format," observed Ed Benson , chief strategic officer of the Country Music Association.

"He's never decided to cross over and be anything else, and so it's great that the number one selling solo artist of all time is a country music artist."

The RIAA tracks albums shipped plus digital downloads sold."

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Re: Garth Brooks outsells Elvis?

Post by TJ »

This does grate on me every time I hear it. If it was true, then fine, but it's not. It might not matter whether Elvis is in this week's chart (although it's always nice), but here we are talking about his overall legacy. As things stand, the history books will do him an injustice. Just as the media ignores the point now, there will be no mention of how the stats are calculated and how Elvis' record company has failed to act. The books will simply say that Garth sold more than Elvis, and that is just wrong.

I'm thinking that someone who knows all the intricacies of this should put together the facts and we should send a standard agreed response from this board out to the major newspapers and media outlets.

Vissie
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Vissie »

Meet the new king. Not the same as the old King.

Garth Brooks, who edged out Elvis Presley in 1999 for the title of best-selling solo artist of all time, only to lose it five years later, reclaimed the crown from the King Monday, according to the tab keepers at the Recording Industry Association of America.

The announcement was made, as such announcements are wont to be made, on the eve of the release of Brooks' latest collection, The Ultimate Hits, due out Tuesday. It also came hours before Brooks was to take the stage for the first performance of his sold-out, nine-night stand in Kansas City, Missouri.

Even before the new, three-disc set hits stores, Brooks is in the RIAA's books as having sold more than 123 million albums, more than any other man, woman or band, save for the Beatles.

Presley stood at 118.5 million, per the RIAA Website. The next top-selling solo act was Billy Joel, at 79.5 million.

Brooks, the country singer with the arena-rock sensibility, and Presley, the rock 'n' roller with the down-home roots, have been fighting for supremacy for years.

In 1999, the RIAA declared Brooks the 20th century's most successful male recording artist, and indeed, its biggest selling solo artist. At the time, Brooks clocked in at 89 million albums sold. Presley, who was lauded for releasing the most gold- and platinum-selling albums, came in behind Brooks, and ahead of Barbra Streisand (the top-selling female artist), with 77 million. (All figures reflect only United States sales.)

But then Brooks, who made it big with the help of "Friends in Low Places," retired. And in 2004, the dead but still-working-it Presley was named the RIAA's top solo act, with 117.5 million albums sold.

That announcement was made, as such announcements are wont to be made, on the occasion of what would have been Presley's 69th birthday. It followed a new count of Presley's old albums.

Meanwhile, Brooks took time away from Leisure World in 2005 to seal a deal with Wal-Mart to exclusively peddle all of his recorded wares, including his then-new collection, Garth Brooks: The Limited Series. With the about-to-be released Ultimate Hits, Brooks has released five albums since vowing to enjoy his golden years.

And on Monday, his hard retirement work paid off with the solo sales title.

"I am proud for country music and take honor in playing a part bringing this milestone to rest under the flag of country music," Brooks, 45, said in a statement.

For the love of rock, it sounds as if it's time for dead Elvis to get back in the studio.

http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=87aa9f21-d576-469e-b1b0-709280a5c729&entry=index&sid=rss_topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

ColinB
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ColinB »

TJ wrote:I'm thinking that someone who knows all the intricacies of this should put together the facts and we should send a standard agreed response from this board out to the major newspapers and media outlets.
They won't want to know.

But let's do it, anyway.....................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

TJ

Post by TJ »

ColinB wrote:
TJ wrote:I'm thinking that someone who knows all the intricacies of this should put together the facts and we should send a standard agreed response from this board out to the major newspapers and media outlets.
They won't want to know.

But let's do it, anyway.....................

You're probably right Colin, but just maybe there are some Elvis-friendly journos/presenters who might flag up the story if made aware of it. It's worth a shot. Sillerman should also be made aware of it (if not already). Couldn't hurt to post it on Lisa's site either.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

macuser wrote:Who cares about Garth Brookes. Get a life peeps or anyone who opened this topic.
We don't care about Brooks.

We care about Elvis being misrepresented to the public................

Colin B

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

ColinB wrote:
macuser wrote:Who cares about Garth Brookes. Get a life peeps or anyone who opened this topic.
We don't care about Brooks.

We care about Elvis being misrepresented to the public................
That's exactly right Colin!

Spanish_Eyes

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

Elvis is a huge icon and his records have been sold everywhere. Brooks is virtually unknown outside the US or country-fan circles.

By the way, wasn't Elvis supposed to have sold about 1 billion records?

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Spanish_Eyes wrote:Elvis is a huge icon and his records have been sold everywhere. Brooks is virtually unknown outside the US or country-fan circles.

By the way, wasn't Elvis supposed to have sold about 1 billion records?
There are record sales - and there are record sales that qualify for RIAA inclusion.

Two different things.

But that '1 billion' figure has had doubt thrown on it recently.

It should be noted that it's not a figure that Ernst ever uses, and he has never declared that it has grown at all over the years.

Colin B

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Garth Brooks' people are again using this bogus, highly-doubtful achievement to pump God knows what crappy new release of phony country music (his brand of it has been compared to Billy Joel and Kiss with a Twang ! :roll: ) . I don't like to step on toes, but try as I may, I've never understood the appeal of his music, save one or two hits - in limited doses.

Someone please make this guy just go away. He's one of the worst country acts I've ever heard - and I consider myself a fan of the genre.

We can sleep well knowing that most of the world - and, yes, even a goodly chunk of the USA, would respond : " 'Garth' who ?!"

I mean, there's room for everyone in the business and all sorts of tastes, but just what is so special about this man's talents? How on earth did he ever get within any distance in sales compared to Sinatra, Elvis, the Beatles, the Stones?

I don't get it! Someone please set me straight on what I've been missing.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Image

Garth Brooks' people are again using this bogus, highly-doubtful achievement to pump God knows what crappy new release of phony country music (his brand of it has been compared to Billy Joel and Kiss with a Twang ! :roll: ) . I don't like to step on toes, but try as I may, I've never understood the appeal of his music, save one or two hits - in limited doses.

Someone please make this guy just go away. He's one of the worst country acts I've ever heard - and I consider myself a fan of the genre.

We can sleep well knowing that most of the world - and, yes, even a goodly chunk of the USA, would respond : " 'Garth' who ?!"

I mean, there's room for everyone in the business and all sorts of tastes, but just what is so special about this man's talents? How on earth did he ever get within any distance in sales compared to Sinatra, Elvis, the Beatles, the Stones?

I don't get it! Someone please set me straight on what I've been missing.

I'm with you. I don't get it either.

Spanish_Eyes

Post by Spanish_Eyes »

I'd prefer Tim McGraw instead. Or at least his wife Faith :smt004

elvis1977br
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by elvis1977br »

If Tomorrow Never Comes
The River
The Dance
The Thunder Rolls
Standing Outside of Fire
The Red Strokes
etc etc etc

Not so bad.....

Life is messy
I feel like Elvis Presley
At a very early age
They put you in a cage
And they push you out on stage
Life is messy

Rodney Crowell - Life Is Messy

Elvis Australia
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Elvis Australia »

David Troedson

Elvis Australia

nigel
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by nigel »

Hi everyone

The issue of Elvis' record sales is a perennial and controversial one!

Check EIN tomorrow when we publish a critical analysis on sales of the top selling albums for Elvis, the Beatles and Garth Brooks.

Also, check our news item today about the rapper poised to equal Elvis' tally of #1 albums in the US!

Nigel
http://www.elvisinfonet.com

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

nigel wrote:Hi everyone

The issue of Elvis' record sales is a perennial and controversial one!

Check EIN tomorrow when we publish a critical analysis on sales of the top selling albums for Elvis, the Beatles and Garth Brooks.

Also, check our news item today about the rapper poised to equal Elvis' tally of #1 albums in the US!

Nigel
http://www.elvisinfonet.com
Thank you Nigel! ;)
Brooks, not Elvis, is the king of sales

Garth Brooks officially is the bestselling solo act in U.S. music history. Again.
Randy Lewis, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

Brooks collected his latest hunka-hunka precious metal Monday from the Recording Industry Assn. of America, certifying total album sales of 123 million copies, allowing him to surpass Elvis Presley to reclaim the No. 2 slot.

The Beatles have long been No. 1 on the RIAA's ranking of U.S. album sales, currently showing sales of 170 million and counting, but the No. 2 position has shifted over time. In recent years that spot has been held by Brooks, Led Zeppelin and, most recently, Presley, whose lifetime album sales stand at 118.5 million. Before Monday's news, Brooks had held No. 3 with 116 million sales.

Brooks appeared outside Capitol Records' offices in Hollywood to receive formal recognition of his latest sales peak, a figure that's certain to continue upward with the impending release of his three-disc "Ultimate Hits" compilation album landing in stores today.

Led Zeppelin, in fourth place with 109.5 million albums sold, also figures to add to the band's hits tally with the first-time availability of its catalog online for downloading, the release next week of "Mothership," a new two-CD career retrospective, and a reunion concert slated for Dec. 10 in London.

randy.lewis@latimes.com
This author included his email addy. Perhaps he needs some clarification?

Suspicious Minds
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Suspicious Minds »

Going by the photo's here, Brooks is not that good looking as Elvis was or is.
I would have thought Elvis was miles ahead in album sales in the USA.

Frank

Every man has a Flaming Star

ImageImageImage

Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Suspicious Minds wrote:Going by the photo's here, Brooks is not that good looking as Elvis was or is.
I'm familiar with the adage "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but I couldn't agree with you more. They aren't in any way similar, except for.. perhaps.. they are both male. But that's where it ends.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Look we all know that Elvis has OUTSOLD Garth Brooks. Hell, even Garth knows it, and said so a number of years ago. BUT what we're talking about here are CERTIFIED sales. I have no doubt Garth leads in RIAA CERTIFED sales. When is the last time Sony/BMG undertook an accounting to get Elvis' CERTIFIED sales updated? Anyone remember? Seems like quite awhile ago.

Of course, doing this would cost Sony/BMG some money. Which they don't seem eager to spend.

Brian Quinn

Post by Brian Quinn »

JerryNodak wrote:Look we all know that Elvis has OUTSOLD Garth Brooks. Hell, even Garth knows it, and said so a number of years ago. BUT what we're talking about here are CERTIFIED sales. I have no doubt Garth leads in RIAA CERTIFED sales. When is the last time Sony/BMG undertook an accounting to get Elvis' CERTIFIED sales updated? Anyone remember? Seems like quite awhile ago.

Of course, doing this would cost Sony/BMG some money. Which they don't seem eager to spend.
The last major upgrade was in January 2004.

Brian :roll: