Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

javilu
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: CRYOGENIC

Post by javilu »

Cryogenic wrote:
javilu wrote:Rick Nelson rocked harder than Elvis on his soundtracks!
Despite his (limited) impact on the rock 'n' roll scene, Ricky Nelson couldn't rock if his life depended on it. The 60's soundtracks were mostly lightweight (junk), but Elvis still rocked rings around Nelson with "King Of The Whole Wide World", "C'mon Everybody", "Hard Knocks", "Little Egypt", "Let Yourself Go" and others, whether they were rock 'n' roll songs or not.
Hey Cryo, listen to "I'm Talking About You" "Live and Learn" or "Stop, Look and Listen" from Rick's 1965 album "Spotlight on Rick". "Stop, Look and Listen" is the same tune used later for the "Spinout" album. I think nothing on "Girl Happy" rocks as hard.

Javier

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

JerryNodak

Re: Elvis' Movie Songs vs Elvis' Movie Songs

Post by JerryNodak »

I never cared whether a song rocked (or not). Only whether I enjoyed it.

Topic author
LesterB
Registered for: 18 years

Post by LesterB »

Inevitably when writing a list A (one song from each movie that is good or the best of) and a list B (one song from each movie that is bad or the worst of) then you are going to have less than average songs on the good list and good songs on the bad list by default – it can’t be helped.

I was trying to create a snap shot designed for easy reading to highlight that Elvis’ movie music was not mostly crap. Sorry for anguish and the distress that has obviously been caused to some :D .

If you take all the songs from the 50’s, bar one, as being good and take the good songs from the rest of the 60’s then I think we might be surprised how high the percentage of good music is. 70% good was a throw away line made during a busy time at home and certainly not a statement of fact like the Doc recently made and was subsequently put straight on during a separate post. Its ok to be wrong Doc :idea: – you will find that the best football players in the world miss more times than they actually score!!

However, doing the math on this might be an interesting exercise to see the actual percentages. I guess at best it will be down to opinion as one board member has said and others agreed
JerryNodak wrote:The wonderful thing about Elvis movie songs is that one person's junk is another person's treasure. I have yet to see a list(s) with which I fully agreed. I doubt I ever will.

JUST FOR TODAY

TONY
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TONY »

[quote="LesterB"] – you will find that the best football players in the world miss more times than they actually score!!quote]

This is especially true for Spurs at the moment!! HA HA.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

LesterB wrote:I was trying to create a snap shot designed for easy reading to highlight that Elvis’ movie music was not mostly crap.
Unfortunately, there is not a " snap shot" in the world that can accomplish that.
LesterB wrote:70% good was a throw away line made during a busy time at home ...
Maybe you should post your comments with more care, perhaps when you are not in the midst of a "busy time at home." Then your thoughts will be clear to the other members of this forum.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
LesterB

Post by LesterB »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
LesterB wrote:I was trying to create a snap shot designed for easy reading to highlight that Elvis’ movie music was not mostly crap.
Unfortunately, there is not a " snap shot" in the world that can accomplish that.
I think it was worth a go :|
drjohncarpenter wrote:
LesterB wrote:70% good was a throw away line made during a busy time at home ...
Maybe you should post your comments with more care, perhaps when you are not in the midst of a "busy time at home." Then your thoughts will be clear to the other members of this forum.
Doc you help me in ways that you cannot appreciate yet in this stage of your development :smt001

I will get back to you on your other reply when I am less busy - thanks again :wink:

JUST FOR TODAY

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Another good one: "The Love Machine" from "Easy Come, Easy Go". I was just listening to this and realised it's a groovy cut. Not a "great" song, but certainly good-enough-that-it-should--have-been-included-on-"Command Performances" good. The movie catalogue is a subjective puzzle that can never be solved.

Topic author
LesterB

LOVE MACHINE -

Post by LesterB »

I like this as well but didn't have the courage to own up :wink:
I think you are on thin ice with this one Cryo - your MB cred might go down a notch or two with this one!!!

JUST FOR TODAY

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I'm with Cryogenic on this. I think The Love Machine is decent. As for credibility on this MB I've never given two hoots and a holler about that.

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

LesterB wrote:Hi Tony

List A is some of the best music from the movies and list B is some of the worst.

In list B it was sometimes hard to choose a bad song like Edge of Reality but soemthing had to go down. You will notice that CHARRO is on both lists for obvious reasons.
So You Gotta Stop is on the good list and I Want to be Free is on the bad list? Can't take that very seriously.

Topic author
LesterB

TJ

Post by LesterB »

Pasted from two posts ago:

Inevitably when writing a list A (one song from each movie that is good or the best of) and a list B (one song from each movie that is bad or the worst of) then you are going to have less than average songs on the good list and good songs on the bad list by default – it can’t be helped.

This has created alot of confusion for many on the MB. I thought it was obvious from my list of songs that I was choosing a one song only from each movie :|

JUST FOR TODAY

Xaykev
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Xaykev »

People write about all the EIC treads...but what about "Elvis' worst movie songs" treads??

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I know, you don't like Ito Eats, Old McDonald etc....but WHO REALLY CARES!!

I miss you, Elvis!

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

The worst movie songs are by & large the novelty numbers. Things like Ito Eats (which I kinda like); The Walls Have Ears; No Room To Rhumba; Ft. Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce; Smoky Mountain Boy; Barefoot Ballad; Yoga; Queenie's Papaya; I Love Only One Girl; He's Your Uncle. Aside from these types of cringe-inducing tunes I find the bulk of the 60's movie material to be largely mediocre but listenable, with an occasional gem now & again.

As Elvis 60's movie rockers go I enjoy things like If You Think I Don't Need You; Hard Knocks; The Meanest Girl In Town; Adam & Evil; Long Legged Girl. And ballads such as Tender Feelin'; Big Love, Big Heartache; So Close, Yet So Far (From Paradise); This Is My Heaven; Am I Ready; Could I Fall In Love and The Girl I Never Loved, while not great songs are all pretty, melodic, and well sung.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I don't find some of the novelty songs mentioned as cringe inducing as Pete does. But otherwise his feelings pretty much mirror my own.

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Axeman »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Maybe you should post your comments with more care
Perhaps Doc should follow his own advice rather than telling people what to like and what to do...

Anybody got a Kleenex? It's getting awfully snotty on this MB again.

Axe

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

I am not telling anyone "what to like" or "what to do" on this forum. However, my suggestion is clear when not taken out of context. The full quote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Maybe you should post your comments with more care, perhaps when you are not in the midst of a "busy time at home." Then your thoughts will be clear to the other members of this forum.
Hope this helps.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!