Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Alan Hanson Elvis '57 book

Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:23 am

The book Elvis '57 by Alan Hanson was mentioned in another thread.

Are there many concert photos in it? Any photos from the Jailhouse Rock photo sessions (and time period)? Any previously unseen photos?

On another note, what year was the photo session(s) that resulted in the photo used for the cover of Elvis' Golden Records (volume 1)? Are any of the photos from those sessions included in the book?

Thank You.

Re: Alan Hanson Elvis '57 book

Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:10 am

music2 wrote:The book Elvis '57 by Alan Hanson ... Any previously unseen photos? ... what year was the photo session(s) that resulted in the photo used for the cover of Elvis' Golden Records (volume 1)?

Alan Hanson's book looks to be credible on many levels, and essential for any deep Presley fan. IIRC, there are several unissued images, on and off-stage.

The cover of Elvis' fifth LP comes from a series of studio portraits taken for MGM's "Jailhouse Rock," putting them squarely in 1957, circa May - June.

Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:22 am

Thank you for your reply.

Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:25 am

music2 wrote:Thank you for your reply.

I do what I can!

Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:41 am

music2 wrote:The book Elvis '57 by Alan Hanson was mentioned in another thread.

Are there many concert photos in it? Any photos from the Jailhouse Rock photo sessions (and time period)? Any previously unseen photos?
Thank You.

It's not a photo book. There are photos used, to illustrate chapters, but it's not a photo book by any stretch. It has no JR publicity shots.
The best photo book I've seen featuring the '57 tours, is The King On The Road, an epe project (ie hardly any shots after Aloha). Vanloads of gold lame shots in that tome . .but still no JR publicity stuff.

Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:14 am

Swithin StCleeve wrote:

Thank You.

It's not a photo book. There are photos used, to illustrate chapters, but it's not a photo book by any stretch. It has no JR publicity shots.
The best photo book I've seen featuring the '57 tours, is The King On The Road, an epe project (ie hardly any shots after Aloha). Vanloads of gold lame shots in that tome . .but still no JR publicity stuff.

Yes, anyone buying it primarily for the photos will be disappointed. It's a very well researched and comprehensive look at the tours though. It really puts the period in context. I found it particularly interesting to read just how little faith even teenagers had in Elvis being a lasting force in music. The idea of rock 'n' roll being a fad was prevalent.

Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:04 pm

TJ wrote: It really puts the period in context. .

It's the best Elvis book I've read in many a year. I passed on the handful of bodyguard books this year, but I'm so glad I bought this one.

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:53 pm

On another note, what year was the photo session(s) that resulted in the photo used for the cover of Elvis' Golden Records (volume 1)? Are any of the photos from those sessions included in the book?

Thank You.

I am reading this book right now - it is extremely well done - not a lot of photos, but what photos there are are excellent quality.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:19 am

One of the best books I've read in along time, it covers quite

a few angles from attendance figures to fan comments. It's a

good addition to any Elvis book shelf.

8)

Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:27 am

Do you know where to find it ?

Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:45 am

jessewade wrote:Do you know where to find it ?

I got my copy from Amazon, I'd check there,it should be quite

easy to find as it's relitively a new publication.

8)

Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:54 am

ok thanks :wink:

Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:09 am

Mr. Hanson's first book seems to be well researched, but does not offer many pictures. Still, I think it is well worth the $20 investment.

Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:24 am

E-Cat wrote:Mr. Hanson's first book seems to be well researched, but does not offer many pictures. .

Neither did Last Train To Memphis . . . but it's still the best Elvis book I've ever read!