Hot Shots and Cool Clips - Volume 3 -> Misdated Footage!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

KingOfTheJungle
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Hot Shots and Cool Clips - Volume 3 -> Misdated Footage!

Post by KingOfTheJungle »

I am sadly unsurprised by this.

Does anyone else notice that the "widescreen" footage seems to conveniently crop out the time-codes that would be at the bottom of the screen? I think that these were made from VHS "screeners" of movie warehouse footage that can be purchased much more cheaply than actually liscencing a good digital transfer.

That being said the two most interesting pieces of film, the Houston Press-Conferences and the "Jailhouse Rock Screen Test", are superb transfers.

King Of The Jungle

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

Doc - thanks for your effort with this. Sadly, it only goes to confirm what I've believed for a little while. These days, Tunzi is out to make as much money from the fans with as little effort as possible. His DVD's are overpriced, too short, and now, as you've confirmed, poorly researched.

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DJL wrote:Thanks Doc for the clarification on the dates. Is there a reason why this footage from December 1964 was filmed in the first place? Was it for a news program?
That would be my guess -- TV news or a newsreel.
E-Cat wrote:Cool stuf John - I just wonder why Joe did not to his homework - he has access to the facts....right ?
Access is one thing, the human being is another.
elvisjock wrote:Maybe at Cilla's graduation from Immaculate Conception?
Nah, Elvis did not attend, but he did pick her up afterwards.
He didn't attend the graduation ceremony, but it is reasonable to postulate that he didn't simply drive up to the auditorium and honk the horn. With his usual good manners, he got out of the car, and very likely signed autographs and posed for photos.

As the photo appears in EBTPs, it's not too farfetched from reality to assume that Priscilla herself, or a member of her family, snapped the photo.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvisjock wrote:... it is reasonable to postulate that he didn't simply drive up to the auditorium and honk the horn. With his usual good manners, he got out of the car, and very likely signed autographs and posed for photos.
Is this reasonable, yes.

Is it reality? No.

"Finally I worked up enough courage to ask him to wait outside ... 'I hadn't thought about that,' he said. 'I won't come in. I'll just be outside in the car waiting for you. That way I'll kinda be there.'"

- Priscilla Presley in Peter Guralnick's "Careless Love," pg. 146

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvisjock »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:... it is reasonable to postulate that he didn't simply drive up to the auditorium and honk the horn. With his usual good manners, he got out of the car, and very likely signed autographs and posed for photos.
Is this reasonable, yes.

Is it reality? No.

"Finally I worked up enough courage to ask him to wait outside ... 'I hadn't thought about that,' he said. 'I won't come in. I'll just be outside in the car waiting for you. That way I'll kinda be there.'"

- Priscilla Presley in Peter Guralnick's "Careless Love," pg. 146
Thank you, DJC, for taking the time out of your busy day to research this matter further. All of us at FECC owe you a debt of gratitude for your tireless efforts. You are an inspiration to us, one and all.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

elvisjock wrote:Thank you, DJC, for taking the time out of your busy day to research this matter further. All of us at FECC owe you a debt of gratitude for your tireless efforts. You are an inspiration to us, one and all.
If I made your day, that's thanks enough. You may trust me to do my very best. Happy to help!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Having just watched cool clips vol 2+3 at the weekend- i agree with the docs footage dates-this makes a lot of sense.Also what makes sense is the 'rip off' label this series is attracting. like only 1 hour in length, mostly containing footage that Elvis does NOT feature in- a prime example being the Jaycees Jan 1971 footage that MOSTLY features the clips from the boring speeches the other 9 men made-'unbelievable boredom!' Granted on hot clips 2 the E/S footage i hadn't seen before from Rita Ritz of Elvis in Chicago at his prime on 16th+17th June 1972 is excellent! and on hot shots and cool clips volume 3 the full Astrodome 25.2.70 conference with the lengthy end footage made that worthwhile too. Ultimately though the sauce is spread way too thin on these Tunzi DVD's and we need more 'meat' i.e Elvis actually IN the footage for them to be considered worth paying huge $$ for.(i noted that my friend was 'able' to copy volume 2 for me but NOT volume 3!)
I also bought T.T.W.I.I. 'special edition' which was cheap to buy and did have extra nearly 40 minutes of Elvis songs/footage in it. Agreed the quality is lacking but at least it was their happy day with subtitles and value for money 2 DVD package it is!

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

YDKM wrote:Having just watched cool clips vol 2+3 at the weekend- i agree with the docs footage dates-this makes a lot of sense.
Thanks -- this is what I do!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.