Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

San Diego Audio?

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:54 am

Does any audio of Elvis in San Diego exist (excluding Milton Berle)? Whether it's official or on bootleg...

Re: San Diego Audio?

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:14 am

This is really an old thread, thought I'd still bring it up though as this is a question I was asking myself some time ago.
While going through my lists of concert recordings I realized that I had that strange coincidence of not having a single recording from that particular city. I wasn't too surprised that I was missing the shows from 1956. Live recordings from the 50es are a different beast altogether when compared to the vast amount of available recordigs from the 70es.
But interestingly enough not one of the three shows Elvis had played in the 1970es seems to have been doing the rounds in collectors circles as well.

In 1956 Elvis first appeared on Milton Bearls show on April 3, 1956. There is footage from that day as well as audio proof - this appears the only available recording from that city!
On April 4 and 5, 1956 he was at the Arena for two shows and apart from a review that mentions Heartbreak Hotel and Blue Suede Shoes as being performed we seem to know little to nothing about this stop on his national tours.
Elvis returned to the City on June 6 that year for an additional show and just like with the other two there is not much known about this particular performance nor have any recordings surfaced.

After a long hiatus from live shows Elvis returned to doing concerts again and performed three concerts in the 70es in San Diegos Sports Arena:
November 15, 1970
April 26, 1973
April 24, 1976

We have some pictures from these shows, ticket stubs and even some great silent footage from the November '70 gig there. Except for what was written in the reviews of that time we are short on info about what he actually sang during these shows.

Interestingly enough a errenous report said that Elvis performed "My woman, my woman, my wife" during the final show in April 1976. It seems likely that the reviewer had mistaken "You gave me a Mountain" for that particular song. He was probably not familiar with the Presley live catalogue and confused these Marty Robbins songs.
The question I was asking myself regarding these three shows was if the lack of recordings derived from harsher security checks at that place or if it was purely coincidence that not one person was in the audience that was prepared to record the show. We have instances were shows were recorded from more than one person and even so in a smal Vegas showroom setting.
So were these shows actually recorded but kept private for some reason?
If not then does anybody have an answer to why that was the case and why on the other hand it was possible to do filming on at least one of the shows?
What would be the reason behind the lack of material from that city?
I am sure that some of you people here on FECC would know a proper answer. Maybe one of you was even there at one of the shows and can give a bit of an insight?
Looking forward to your ideas and your feedback on this one.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:38 am

Since then, I've only come across one other recording, besides the Berle Show. It is an audience recording, and in fairly good quality for that matter!

This recording dates from the November 1970 engagement:

Can anyone confirm that this was indeed from the November 15 1970 show in San Diego?

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:43 am

Probabilly Portland or one of the other ones

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:46 am

emshicks321 wrote:Does any audio of Elvis in San Diego exist (excluding Milton Berle)? Whether it's official or on bootleg...

None has surfaced to date.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:46 am

Unfortunately this recording is from the following night in Oklahoma City. It was first released on the Cd "Go Cat Go" from Sundial Productions in 1995. I often find this show labled as being San Diego.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:53 pm

Markus K. wrote:In 1956 Elvis first appeared on Milton Bearls show on April 3, 1956. There is footage from that day as well as audio proof - this appears the only available recording from that city!
On April 4 and 5, 1956 he was at the Arena for two shows and apart from a review that mentions Heartbreak Hotel and Blue Suede Shoes as being performed we seem to know little to nothing about this stop on his national tours.

Well some of both those shows was recorded on film, so we have footage as well as a review.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:04 pm

It will be great to find out what he sang there.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:15 pm

Cisco and Juan Louis, It's clear that<snip>

FECC Team Note: To all participants in this thread: This is directed at everyone, and noone in particular. Any further baiting will result in account actions. Thank you