Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Posthumous Album Releases - FTD Classic Albums

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:08 am

Hello,

I was curious as to whether anyone felt that there were certain albums that were released after Elvis' death that warranted a classic album treatment of either 1 CD or 2 CD. I know FTD has experimented with this to some extent with the Too Much Monkey Business FTD and even the Hits Of The '70s FTD. So is there any other posthumous albums FTD should do. I can think of several.

Guitar Man (1981) - I realize FTD has already covered much of this terrain with Too Much Monkey Business. However, there are still many tracks that remain unreleased.

This Is Elvis (1981) - There are some unique edits and overdubs on this release.

I Was The One / The Elvis Medley (1983) - I've combined these 2 releases together, given that they were done on around the same time.

The Rocker / Return Of The Rocker / Planned 3rd installment in Rocker series (1985) - There are some unique mixes from Return Of The Rocker.

Reconsider Baby (1985) - There's some unique edits / mixes on this release. This album could be fleshed out with other R&B tracks.

Always On My Mind (1985) - There's some unique mixes on this album.

The Memphis Record (1987) - There's some unique mixes on this album.

Are there any others that should garner consideration?

Re: Posthumous Album Releases - FTD Classic Albums

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:11 am

I guess I should have included Elvis In Concert in my original post, but I overlooked it, thinking it was a no-brainer.

Another set I should have included is all four volumes plus the planned fifth volume of A Legendary Performer.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:23 am

Daryl wrote:Hello,

I was curious as to whether anyone felt that there were certain albums that were released after Elvis' death that warranted a classic album treatment of either 1 CD or 2 CD. I know FTD has experimented with this to some extent with the Too Much Monkey Business FTD and even the Hits Of The '70s FTD. So is there any other posthumous albums FTD should do. I can think of several.

Guitar Man (1981) - I realize FTD has already covered much of this terrain with Too Much Monkey Business. However, there are still many tracks that remain unreleased.

This Is Elvis (1981) - There are some unique edits and overdubs on this release.

I Was The One / The Elvis Medley (1983) - I've combined these 2 releases together, given that they were done on around the same time.

The Rocker / Return Of The Rocker / Planned 3rd installment in Rocker series (1985) - There are some unique mixes from Return Of The Rocker.

Reconsider Baby (1985) - There's some unique edits / mixes on this release. This album could be fleshed out with other R&B tracks.

What about this Joan Deary-driven release from 1981?

811000_Elvis Greatest Hits Volume One.JPG
Elvis Greatest Hits Volume One (RCA AHL1-2347, October 1981)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:32 am

Yes, Doc! There's some great mixes on that album. I often wondered if Deary had a follow-up Volume 2 and beyond in the works.

Two other things I also forgot to list are the recordings Deary had planned for inclusion on A Golden Celebration that Greg Geller removed, most notably the 1976 soundboard recording. I also believe there is a tape legend from 1979 for the early August, 1969 Las Vegas show. FTD should put that show out, even though it's been bootlegged already, if only for the unique arrangements that had rapidly increased in tempo within just a few weeks.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:07 am

I'm all for This Is Elvis & The Memphis Record being released. Hell I'm staying positive in hoping they do get a rerelease.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:41 am

Another sprang to mind: The original US 10 track "Elvis' Gold Records Volume 5". Also holds unique remixes, sounding great to these old ears. :)

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:53 am

I think the Essential Series would be good.

elvisonline

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:29 pm

I sincerely hope they will close the catalogue with EIC and have the Our Memories and 1980 remix sessions series as an exception. I would not by FTD rereleased of post 1977 albums as I feel important mixes, outtakes and versions are already in my collection on the original vinyl and previously unreleased material should have been on FTDs covering the original sessions or events.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:59 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

What about this Joan Deary-driven release from 1981?

811000_Elvis Greatest Hits Volume One.JPG
Elvis Greatest Hits Volume One (RCA AHL1-2347, October 1981)

If i am not mistaken there is a perfect mix on it, Steamroller Blues. It has been ages i played that record and i can't play it now since the turntable is not connected. Some happy memories tho!

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:14 pm

I am not interested in any posthumous albums, myself. I think FTD should focus on the original albums and mixes / material that was made during Elvis' lifetime.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:21 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I am not interested in any posthumous albums, myself. I think FTD should focus on the original albums and mixes / material that was made during Elvis' lifetime.

Agreed, but when they are done with those, they might aswell start releasing some of those posthumous albums thou..

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Daryl wrote:This Is Elvis (1981) - There are some unique edits and overdubs on this release.

I vote for this one.....but ONLY if the songs are complete and not shortened as on the 1981 release.
Some tracks are indeed edited but not in a good way......
Promised land harmony version and always on my mind among others.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:32 pm

I want "This Is Elvis" with edits as originally released AND with complete songs as bonus tracks.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

JerryNodak wrote:I want "This Is Elvis" with edits as originally released AND with complete songs as bonus tracks.

I agree with you on this release plus all the Elvis-A Legendary Performer releases 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:42 pm

JerryNodak wrote:I want "This Is Elvis" with edits as originally released AND with complete songs as bonus tracks.

I agree. What version should the bonus tracks be? The undubbed masters or the dubbed masters?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:00 pm

The posthumous compilations are pointless for FTD to spend any time on, IMO. FTD should just focus on original albums, along with session takes to coincide with the album releases (ie : 2 CD Deluxe package) It keeps things nice & tidy.

"Our Memories Of Elvis" & "Hits Of The 70's" were big mistakes by the FTD crew. I'll be damned if FTD decides to re-issue Camden & Pickwick budget albums.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:06 pm

No , they are not real albums as when Elvis was alive.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:16 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:"Our Memories Of Elvis" & "Hits Of The 70's" were big mistakes by the FTD crew.

obviously many would disagree...including the most important two gentleman ERNST & ROGER!

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:12 pm

I am all for a select release of posthumous escapes, like This Is Elvis, The Memphis Record, etc. They were milestone releases imho. I embraced even Our Memories Of Elvis.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:04 pm

All of the above is a waste of time. Bring on GI Blues vol. 2. I don't have the boots.

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:36 pm

With the exception of 'This Is Elvis', most (if not all) of the above are already on official CD, just hunt them down, many of them can be had for a bargain on Ebay. I have, just recently, after members on this very forum teased with me hints of unique mixes etc. You'll be glad you did!! I wouldnt think FTD would be bothered with them to be honest, as aside from the main contents, would there be much more to add to them really?