Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

How do you organize your cds?

Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:52 am

Do you place them by date of recording (for example from Elvis Presley boulevard followed by springtime tours ) ? Do you separate studio and live? Or professional and soundboards?

Enviado desde mi iPod touch utilizando Tapatalk

Re: How do you organize your cds?

Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:52 am

frus75 wrote:Do you place them by date of recording (for example from Elvis Presley boulevard followed by springtime tours ) ? Do you separate studio and live? Or professional and soundboards?

Chaotically these days - I simply have too much and according to my wife, anything I organise is based on the Chicago sewage system anway. But I try to file them as offical (mainstream), FTD, boots by label, and whats left by content.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:03 am

Alphabetically by artist and then chronologically within each artist. I have separate categories. The main category is rock and pop (which Elvis resides) and then I have classical, jazz, soundtrack, Christmas, and finally compilations and collections that contain various artists, example being a radio station CD or a tribute CD, or a label sampler etc.

Elvis is a bit more complicated. I have the original canon first, then later compilations next. There are appropriate exceptions. Sometimes I group a certain series together. I have only the 3 original Christmas albums (LOC, Camden and WWOC) in the original canon. But I have the other Elvis Christmas albums in my Christmas section.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:10 am

I have separate shelves or spaces for each of my favourite artists. Although I have different shelves for box sets and digipaks. And try to keep larger catalogues together. Which includes Elvis. I have a shelf for my FTD Classic Albums. A shelf for standard FTD releases and a shelf for box sets. I also keep my FTDs in order of the original album releases and/or chronological order. The same with my concert bootlegs on CD. Pretty straightforward, really. And with enough ease to find the CDs I want amongst several thousand.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:12 am

Greystoke wrote:I have separate shelves or spaces for each of my favourite artists. Although I have different shelves for box sets and digipaks. And try to keep larger catalogues together. Which includes Elvis. I have a shelf for my FTD Classic Albums. A shelf for standard FTD releases and a shelf for box sets. I also keep my FTDs in order of the original album releases and/or chronological order. The same with my concert bootlegs on CD. Pretty straightforward, really. And with enough ease to find the CDs I want amongst several thousand.

So you organize soundboards by concert date? Mixing ftd and boots?

Btw I'm interested in Elvis cds

Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:13 am

frus75 wrote:
Greystoke wrote:I have separate shelves or spaces for each of my favourite artists. Although I have different shelves for box sets and digipaks. And try to keep larger catalogues together. Which includes Elvis. I have a shelf for my FTD Classic Albums. A shelf for standard FTD releases and a shelf for box sets. I also keep my FTDs in order of the original album releases and/or chronological order. The same with my concert bootlegs on CD. Pretty straightforward, really. And with enough ease to find the CDs I want amongst several thousand.

So you organize soundboards by concert date? Mixing ftd and boots?

Btw I'm interested in Elvis cds

I keep FTDs and bootlegs separate.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:18 am

Every live release, FTD and imports, in the top drawer, organized by concert date.
Studio material in the bottom drawer, also by chronological order, FTDs and imports.
coleção.jpg

Classic FTDs have their exclusive shelf space, organized by the date they were originally released when E was alive.
IMG_7227.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:31 am

frus75 wrote:Do you place them by date of recording (for example from Elvis Presley boulevard followed by springtime tours ) ? Do you separate studio and live? Or professional and soundboards?

This is how my albums are organized in my external HDs:

I. Official Label:
- Follow That Dream Label
- RCA / BMG / Sony
- Vinyl Rips

II. Imports, Promos & Others:
- Live Albums:
1954 - 1968
Various Dates
- Studio Albums

Every album is sorted in alphabetical order and every audio file is tagged accordingly.

Example.JPG

My CDs are physically sorted in chronological order, but I don't listen to them.
Every new CD is immediately ripped to FLAC and then put on the shelf with the rest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JimmyCool on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:02 am

JimmyCool wrote:

I. Official Label:
- RCA / BMG / Sony
- Vinyl Rips

- Live Albums:
1954 - 1968
Various Dates
- Studio Albums

Every album is sorted in chonological order and every audio file is tagged accordingly.

Example.JPG

My CDs are physically sorted the same way, but I don't listen to them.
Every new CD is immediately ripped to FLAC and then put on the shelf with the rest.

Wow! looks almost exactly like my terabyte (TB) drives.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:16 am

Records and Cd's!

I have an ipod - my wife brought it for me for christmas about 5 or 6 years ago and I have never even opened the box, let alone done anything with it.

Call me old fashioned, I've been called worse!

Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:27 am

Sergio Luiz wrote:Every live release, FTD and imports, in the top drawer, organized by concert date.
Studio material in the bottom drawer, also by chronological order, FTDs and imports.
coleção.jpg

Classic FTDs have their exclusive shelf space, organized by the date they were originally released when E was alive.
IMG_7227.JPG

My classic FTDs are organized the same way. Great minds think alike!

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:35 am

I go by the year released.

Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:23 pm

I keep my CD's in cardboard boxes. I've organized them as such:

FTD:
classic albums: by date of original RCA release (followed after "Moody Blue" by other 7" releases, such as "Hits of the 70's")
soundtracks: by date of movie release (followed after "Live A Little" by the live concerts released on 7" by date of concert)
others: by date of FTD release

live concerts: by date of concert, 5" FTD and Sony mixed together (I've no bootlegs)

legacy: by date of original RCA release

Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:26 pm

JimmyCool wrote:

I. Official Label:
- RCA / BMG / Sony
- Vinyl Rips

- Live Albums:
1954 - 1968
Various Dates
- Studio Albums

Every album is sorted in alphabetical order and every audio file is tagged accordingly.

Example.JPG

My CDs are physically sorted in chronological order, but I don't listen to them.

Interesting concept. So before you actually rip them, you set the target directory to one of the relevant folders above. What do you use and how do you then listen to them.

Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:37 am

Everything in my collection from start to finish is all together and in order by date of recording.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:41 am

Sometimes I get lucky and find the ones I want...
Now then, where's Amarillo '77 when you absolutely need it!.jpg

:mrgreen:
FTD 5" digipaks by order of release. 7" Classic albums/soundtracks by order of original release or thereabouts. All other Elvis CD's in DJ flight cases up in the loft. I only keep FTD's, the many Elvis box sets and the 'Elvis Album Collection' 'on hand' these days...

Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:53 am

I organize my entire collection based on how often I listen to it. My favourites are at eye/arm level, the stuff I like a little less is a bit higher, the stuff I like a little less than that is a bit lower, etc.

The rare visitor who's actually interested in looking at my music collection is always massively confused by my organizational scheme.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:09 am

My record albums, 45s and EPs are organized on shelves in date order, Sun to 1977. My CDs are just on racks, no specific order. I never thought of them in the same way as records, not collectible, just an easier way to hear the music. The most recent ones I listened to are on the top of the pile in the CD rack. The FTDs are also on a shelf because of their size, in no specific order.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:40 am

My favourites are always closest to hand, too. And at this time of year, all of my Christmas CDs are next to my players.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:00 pm

I have a 5 shelf CD rack for my jewels.
50s, 60s, 70s on the first 3 with the masters 5cds at the begining of each row.
Collections and compilations next, GR, Essential and golden celebration.
At the bottom 60s soundtracks.

5" FTD in 3 groups, session cds, concert cds and vegas.
7" split by classic then others.

Box/Book sets platinum etc. On a seperate shelf.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:26 pm

FTD classic albums on shelves in order of FTD release date,same with regular FTD's.
RCA/BMG/Sony regular albums in order of original release in Elvis lifetime.Compilations separate.
Bootlegs by label and release date.

norrie

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:02 pm

Studio, live and bootlegs separately...

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:59 pm

Alphabetically.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:57 pm

Ive got wooden cd racks adjusted to 7 inch ftds. I order them by year. 5 inches i got in a cd cabinet. Same for my bootlegs.

Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Enviado desde mi iPod touch utilizando Tapatalk = cut that BS and delete it from your phone.

I have my collection dated on the year. Wich is the way it should be done.