Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Any opinions about Elvis In West Texas FTD ?

Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:01 am

What do those who already have it think about this new soundboard recording from 1976 ? Its been quite a while since we had one and many of us wanted another one from 1976. I remember the discussions and was quite surprised. As yet I only have the audience recording but I think the concert is not bad with an interesting set list. Better in any case than mayn others of this year. I think its a good choice. However, the soundboard surely reveals more.

Re: Any opinions about Elvis In West Texas FTD ?

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:20 am

You forgot to mention the show has its merits.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:17 am

I ordered it yesterday, so I will have it soon!

Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:24 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:You forgot to mention the show has its merits.

I think he did ...

Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:27 am

Every Elvis Presley show had its merits
a wise man once told me.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:You forgot to mention the show has its merits.

I have a feeling you will enjoy the December FTD. It's a 12-CD box set from 1976 called John, We Love You. Contents:

CD 1: The Undubbed Jungle Room Masters + Choice Outtakes
CD 2: Elvis Loves John-son City
CD 3: Elvis Rocks Spokane
CD 4: Greetings from Tahoe
CD 5: Elvis Cracks Jokes About John in Odessa (afternoon show)
CD 6: Elvis Celebrates 4th of July
CD 7: Elvis Sings Return to Sender
CD 8: Elvis Returns to Mississippi
CD 9: Elvis Burns It Up in South Bend
CD 10: November Lovin'
CD 11: Adios, Vegas
CD 12: Elvis Blows Wichita Off Its Hinges

Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:32 pm

Ciscoking wrote:What do those who already have it think about this new soundboard recording from 1976 ? Its been quite a while since we had one and many of us wanted another one from 1976. I remember the discussions and was quite surprised. As yet I only have the audience recording but I think the concert is not bad with an interesting set list. Better in any case than mayn others of this year. I think its a good choice. However, the soundboard surely reveals more.

The set list is different enough to make the show interesting. On top of that, Elvis is in fine voice, as opposed to the concert in Tucson two days later. The release creates a more balanced take on this tour. All in all, it's a decent and quite enjoyable performance from 1976, one I will be playing a lot in the days and weeks to come.

Who mastered this release? There is no such information to be found anywhere.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:15 pm

If they would only find the soundboard from May 27th 1976. ---> Because I was there! 8)

Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:15 pm

Well, I don’t think the set-list is THAT interesting … When said … both the concert and the release in general (cover art, sound, production) is not bad at all … I would say surprisingly good (based on the fact that this is ‘76). As mentioned by Jensen earlier … I agree … Elvis is in fine voice (once again based on the fact that this is ‘76) and the show and E’s performances is organized and tight.

(I listened to the “Elvis at Bay” CD (St. Petersburg, FL – September 3, 76) a couple of days ago and I must say that this Odessa Show done 2 months earlier is much better.)

Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:
The set list is different enough to make the show interesting. On top of that, Elvis is in fine voice, as opposed to the concert in Tucson two days later. The release creates a more balanced take on this tour. All in all, it's a decent and quite enjoyable performance from 1976, one I will be playing a lot in the days and weeks to come.

Wow....thanks...really looking forward to it...another worthwhile addidtion to the collection. Thank you, Ernst !
And please carry on this way..dont get encouraged by those who think the live repertoire ended with 1970....and afterwards Elvis was just a shadow of his former self. Its just a small minority anyway. This show proves the contrary.
And I am sure there are many more to come.... ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks

Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:51 pm

I had a listen to Love Letters on the Tucson CD (which is the only track from the same show) and Elvis sounds pretty "tired". I realize Love Letters is dreadfully slow so I'm not sure it's a good indication of what Elvis was like during this show... be nice to hear a sample or two.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:54 pm

Ciscoking wrote:What do those who already have it think about this new soundboard recording from 1976 ? Its been quite a while since we had one and many of us wanted another one from 1976. I remember the discussions and was quite surprised. As yet I only have the audience recording but I think the concert is not bad with an interesting set list. Better in any case than mayn others of this year. I think its a good choice. However, the soundboard surely reveals more.

Standard concert, Elvis in good voice for 1976.
But nothing unique about it and totally interchangeable, IMO.
The sound is good, though, 7.5 - maybe 8 - out of 10.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:17 pm

I liked the show, listened to it in full last night and it isn't a bad one, It was also fun to hear elvis note that he hadnt been there in 19 years, and that he used to travel through several places in texas. Elvis is having fun throughout the show and seems to give a little more to the 50's songs. Sure he sounds tired but he's not sounding bad. Also nice to hear a soundboard version of it's now or never with it's original guitar intro. Help me make it through the night is nice too, heartbreak hotel is quite good as is ''If you Love Me Let Me Know'' elvis even seems to have fun during jailhouse rock (for '76). Two full versions of hurt each being equally good. I'm glad ernst took my recommendation to release this show seriously. :D Thanks ernst!. We don't know who mastered it but i'm guessing it was lene reidel. Also nice to hear the 2001 theme infront of the already released see see rider. the transition from the dialogue of the afternoon show before i got a woman into the ''well well well'' is quite seamless. Also liked the fact that the announcements at the end of the show have been left intact
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:27 pm

I would guess that it was mastered by Jan Eliasson at Audio Planet.

Lene Reidel's name hasn't appeared on any FTD releases for a while now.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:30 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:I would guess that it was mastered by Jan Eliasson at Audio Planet.

Lene Reidel's name hasn't appeared on any FTD releases for a while now.

You're right. Maybe she has been assigned other project, but i guess it's likely that indeed Jan Eliasson has mixed it. Thanks rich

Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:52 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I had a listen to Love Letters on the Tucson CD (which is the only track from the same show) and Elvis sounds pretty "tired". I realize [color=#0000BF]Love Letters is dreadfully slow so I'm not sure it's a good indication of what Elvis was like during this show... be nice to hear a sample or two.[/color]

Your conclusion is correct, it’s not an indication what the show is like.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:54 pm

JimmyCool wrote:

Standard concert, Elvis in good voice for 1976.
But nothing unique about it and totally interchangeable, IMO.
The sound is good, though, 7.5 - maybe 8 - out of 10.

You nailed it, pretty much.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:57 pm

Ciscoking wrote:dont get encouraged by those who think the live repertoire ended with 1970....and afterwards Elvis was just a shadow of his former self. Its just a small minority anyway.

"Live repertoire ended with 1970"??

What are you on about?

Every-time he took to the stage he performed from a repertoire. If not, he would walk on, smile, turn around and walk off!

(Actually, that would not have been a bad idea for the majority of concerts in 1976, were he was a shadow of his former self and should have been nowhere near a concert stage!)

But I have to wonder, why are you pleading with Ernst on the forum? I thought you were the soundboard advisory council for FTD. Is this no longer the case?
Last edited by Matthew on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:I liked the show, listened to it in full last night and it isn't a bad one, It was also fun to hear elvis note that he hadnt been there in 19 years, and that he used to travel through several places in texas. Elvis is having fun throughout the show and seems to give a little more to the 50's songs. Sure he sounds tired but he's not sounding bad. Also nice to hear a soundboard version of it's now or never with it's original guitar intro. Help me make it through the night is nice too, heartbreak hotel is quite good as is ''If you Love Me Let Me Know'' elvis even seems to have fun during jailhouse rock (for '76). Two full versions of hurt each being equally good. I'm glad ernst took my recommendation to release this show seriously. :D Thanks ernst!. We don't know who mastered it but i'm guessing it was lene reidel. Also nice to hear the 2001 theme infront of the already released see see rider. the transition from the dialogue of the afternoon show before i got a woman into the ''well well well'' is quite seamless. Also liked the fact that the announcements at the end of the show have been left intact

Thats one hell of a review...Wow...it demonstrates that the label is on the right path.,,despite of the few moaners we have here...I think the great majority will enjoy the show.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:03 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Thats one hell of a review...Wow...it demonstrates that the label is on the right path.,,despite of the few moaners we have here...I think the great majority will enjoy the show.

Yes, it is always encouraging when "it's not bad" is the bar from which Elvis concerts are measured.

"It's not as bad as..."

"He's in good voice... for 1976"

"He sings the 50s songs... a little better."

Sounds like a winner!

The 1976 period is saturated with mediocrity. Elvis should not have been touring. Compassionate fans would agree.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:13 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:I'm glad ernst took my recommendation to release this show seriously. :D Thanks ernst!.

Don't know if I already mentioned it. Ernst and I discussed the show briefly. He asked me what I thought about it. First I was not very happy with it. To be honest I didn't recommend it . having other shows in mind... :wink: ...but then I took my AR and reconsidered....the show is really not bad..but it was Ernsts decision... yes..

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:18 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:I'm glad ernst took my recommendation to release this show seriously. :D Thanks ernst!.

Don't know if I already mentioned it. Ernst and I discussed the show briefly. He asked me what I thought about it. First I was not very happy with it. To be honest I didn't recommend it . having other shows in mind... :wink: ...but then I took my AR and reconsidered....the show is really not bad..but it was Ernsts decision... yes..

We are spoiled in terms of live shows, we were never meant to hear this many, I'm glad we do thou for the historical aspect of it. I'm glad some people are still able to judge a show on it's own. That's what i try to do with any show i listen to, i forget everything that came before or after it and just imagine it's the first show i've ever heard, and i think that's quite a good way to listen to many shows, Sure it wasn't elvis from 1969,1970 or even 1972. Comparing shows to early years is not the correct way to view it, you gotta listen to a show the way those fans in the audience were listening it, where probably most of these people saw elvis for the first time.
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:20 pm

Ciscoking wrote:but it was Ernsts decision...

Didn't you learn already? Blame shifting will get you nowhere!

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:23 pm

It is heart-warning so many fans with FTD's ear lobbied for (yet another) mediocre concert from 1976 to be released, all the while concerts from say 1972 remaining in the vaults.

April 1972 anyone?

Naaa. Elvis hadn't reached his live potential yet.

Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Matthew wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Thats one hell of a review...Wow...it demonstrates that the label is on the right path.,,despite of the few moaners we have here...I think the great majority will enjoy the show.

Yes, it is always encouraging when "it's not bad" is the bar from which Elvis concerts are measured.

"It's not as bad as..."

"He's in good voice... for 1976"

"He sings the 50s songs... a little better."

Sounds like a winner!

The 1976 period is saturated with mediocrity. Elvis should not have been touring. Compassionate fans would agree.

There are many on this forum, but few on this topic.