Did Elvis ever own a Corvette?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

DarrylMac
Registered for: 21 years

Post by DarrylMac »

Doc,

Technically, she could have been 12 in 74, if, for example, her birthday was June, and the car was bought in Feb!

I don't know if he bought her a corvette though - perhaps there'll be a pic in her up coming book?

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

DarrylMac wrote:Technically, she could have been 12 in 74, if, for example, her birthday was June, and the car was bought in Feb!

I don't know if he bought her a corvette though - perhaps there'll be a pic in her up coming book?
He didn't date her until later in the year, IIRC. But he did not know her at 12 ...

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

ooops! Obviously, I meant 21!

According to Careless Love he met Shiela during the Jan 74 Vegas season, when she almost certainly was 21. Note page 527, talking about the March 74 tour, "one old girlfriend flew in to join him just as Shiela Ryan was leaving...", so it's fair to assume he was dating her early in the year. Still no mention of a corvette though!

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

Here we go - page 537 of Careless Love. Talking about when she joined Elvis in Vegas in August, having not seen him since the March tour.

"He gave me a car, and I remember going "oh god it's beautiful, I love it" and feeling like such a phoney. I mean, it was me, not him. Here I am, 21 years old, and I've never owned anything in my life, and this man is giving me a brand new corvette, and I'm like, "thank you" without emotion.

Little Darlin
Registered for: 17 years
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

So the answer to the Question was in the Book all along??

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Topic author
Vissie
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by Vissie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Vissie wrote:Well, I came across an interesting tidbit of information today. Guess who Elvis purchased a Corvette for? Sheila Ryan. In 1974 when she was 21 years old.
Where did you find this tidbit? Is there a photo?

Shelia was apparently born in 1952, making her 22 years old in 1974.
"He gave me a car and I remember going "Oh God, it's beautiful, I love it!" And feeling like such a phony. I mean, it was me, not him. Here I am, 21 years old, and I've never owned anything in my life, and this man is giving me a brand-new Corvette and I'm like, "Thank you", without emotion."

This took place in August, 1974. No photo.

Source: Guralnick, pg. 537

drjohncarpenter

DarrylMac wrote:Here we go - page 537 of Careless Love. Talking about when she joined Elvis in Vegas in August, having not seen him since the March tour.

"He gave me a car, and I remember going "oh god it's beautiful, I love it" and feeling like such a phoney. I mean, it was me, not him. Here I am, 21 years old, and I've never owned anything in my life, and this man is giving me a brand new corvette, and I'm like, "thank you" without emotion.
Well, there you go! Thanks, DM.

Of course, technically, Elvis never really OWNED a Corvette, he just bought one once for a girlfriend.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:Here we go - page 537 of Careless Love. Talking about when she joined Elvis in Vegas in August, having not seen him since the March tour.

Well, there you go! Thanks, DM.

Of course, technically, Elvis never really OWNED a Corvette, he just bought one once for a girlfriend.
Two ;)

drjohncarpenter

Vissie wrote:Two ;)
Two what?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Vissie wrote:Two ;)
Two what?
Two Corvettes ~

Wonder who the other one went to?

Graceland DOES have records of Elvis purchasing two Corvettes

drjohncarpenter

Vissie wrote:
When? Where? Have you seen this document?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

well, it's too late now for me to scour Careless Love for mention of a 2nd Corvette, but happy to help with the first!!!!

drjohncarpenter

DarrylMac wrote:well, it's too late now for me to scour Careless Love for mention of a 2nd Corvette, but happy to help with the first!!!!
I don't think you will find another in there anyway.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

lol Doc - I'm more than happy to believe you!

drjohncarpenter

DarrylMac wrote:lol Doc - I'm more than happy to believe you!
That's because you didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Vissie wrote:
When? Where? Have you seen this document?
Well, to be honest, Elvis did show the documents to me that one night we shared in Memp... er.. I digress.

No, I haven't seen the paperwork. But I have seen more than one reference to him purchasing two of the vehicles.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Presley-Elvis-562/cars.htm

drjohncarpenter

"According to the Archive Department at Elvis Presley Enterprises, Elvis never owned a Corvette."

I think we may be done here!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
"According to the Archive Department at Elvis Presley Enterprises, Elvis never owned a Corvette."

I think we may be done here!
Also, Graceland DOES have records of Elvis purchasing two Corvettes, but he gave them away to two very lucky people.

Just curious as to who got them. One went to Sheila.

drjohncarpenter

Vissie wrote:Also, Graceland DOES have records of Elvis purchasing two Corvettes, but he gave them away to two very lucky people.
I'll believe it when I see the documentation.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Vissie wrote:Also, Graceland DOES have records of Elvis purchasing two Corvettes, but he gave them away to two very lucky people.
I'll believe it when I see the documentation.
Well, we know he bought at least one. As I continue to read, maybe I'll find a reference to a second one ;)

Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

Vissie

Maybe your thread should have started with Did Elvis ever ''Buy'' A Corvette and not ''Own''. This thread has gone to nearly 2 Pages and the Answer was under your nose all the time. You have the Guralnick Book .. Correct?

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

Little Darlin wrote:Vissie

Maybe your thread should have started with Did Elvis ever ''Buy'' A Corvette and not ''Own''. This thread has gone to nearly 2 Pages and the Answer was under your nose all the time. You have the Guralnick Book .. Correct?
LD, I'm not sure of your tone? Why so snippy? Please reread page 1 of this thread to see how it evolved.

Also, you are wrong in what you are saying. I am in the process of reading the 2nd volume by Guralnick. Therefore, the answer was not right under my nose. I only happened upon it this afternoon.

Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

Snippy?? Is that an American term as I am unfamiliar with it. My tone .. as almost always on this site Vissie is Polite.

You asked a question .. your answer was found in the Book you are reading at the moment .. you did in fact quote from it earlier... therefore I have to ask myself .. why pose the question in the first place .. or hadn't you got to that part yet. My reply to you was out of curiosity nothing more nothing less.

Now .. unlike the other site you were on Vissie I shall cut you some slack because You say you are a newcomer to the Elvis World...as I once was.

PEP

Post by PEP »

I came across this small photo while surfing the net, showing that at one time there was a Corvette on the grounds of Graceland, I'm assuming this picture was taken around 74' or 75'.

The Corvette looks like it is a 74', but can't be absolutely sure whether or not it is because we cannot see the whole car in the picture, we also can't be sure who owns the car either or whether or not this picture was taken in the 70's, but I'm guessing it was as there appears to be no white concrete border on the front lawn, so in return the picture still must have been taken pre 80's :D

PEP 8)
Last edited by PEP on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Vissie

Post by Vissie »

PEP wrote:I came across this small photo while surfing the net, showing that at one time there was a Corvette on the grounds of Graceland, I'm assuming this picture was taken around 74' or 75'.

The Corvette looks like it is a 74', but can't be absolutely sure whether or not it is because we cannot see the whole car in the picture, we also can't be sure who owns the car either or whether or not this picture was taken in the 70's, however I would like to believe Elvis may have had some sort of involvement since it is on the grounds of Graceland nonetheless. :D

PEP 8)
Pep, you're a super sleuth! Image How on earth you ever found a photo like this amazes me!