Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Tomorrow Is A Long Time/A Valentine Gift For You

Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:49 pm

I tried to track down the A Valentine Gift For You CD for the reason that it is supposed to hold a remix/edited version of Tomorrow Is A Long Time. I haven't!
Anyone who has this CD can confirm that this is so, and what it sounds like compared to the original we already have?

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:11 pm

It's the presumably the same as that on the LP, which I have.

I have the other '80s era CD's ("Rocker," "Return of the Rocker, " etc. ) but not that one.

The LP (and CD) are known to have a different mix. I seem to recall the term "murkier." Or is it "brighter" ?

:lol:

Here's an thread about this Gregg Geller / Rick Rowe era artifact:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... ntine+gift

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:19 pm

If I'm not mistaken didn't this album have a different version of "Always On My Mind"?

PEP 8)

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:23 pm

PEP wrote:If I'm not mistaken didn't this album have a different version of "Always On My Mind"?

PEP 8)

No but it had (and still does IMO) the best mix ever of the studio version of FEVER.

Re: Tomorrow Is A Long Time/A Valentine Gift For You

Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:32 pm

bajo wrote:I tried to track down the A Valentine Gift For You CD for the reason that it is supposed to hold a remix/edited version of Tomorrow Is A Long Time. I haven't!
Anyone who has this CD can confirm that this is so, and what it sounds like compared to the original we already have?

I cannot remember that there was anything special about this album at the time, except for some really bad noise reduction added. I'll e-mail you an mp3 from the US and you can check it out.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:02 pm

elvis presley scrapbook wrote:
PEP wrote:If I'm not mistaken didn't this album have a different version of "Always On My Mind"?

PEP 8)

No but it had (and still does IMO) the best mix ever of the studio version of FEVER.

Opps :oops: this was the Album I was thinking about.
PEP 8)

Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:25 pm

Hei Jarle!
Hvis du har anledning, så er det fint!

I was close to pick up A Valentine Gift For You once, but the tracks were so familiar I let it on hold. Now, I can't find it anywhere.
But, I recall the Geller era with those album mentioned in here, all of which I have, including Reconsider Baby.
They all held some remixes or variations. Most "famous" may be The Memphis Record which have been on this forum several times.

Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:29 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Here's an thread about this Gregg Geller / Rick Rowe era artifact:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... ntine+gift

Those links in that old thread don't work now - Here's some new links:-

Tomorrow Is A Long Time - "A Valentine's Gift For You"

Tomorrow Is A Long Time - "Spinout"

Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:43 am

The 1985 ones were cool to collected because of the colored vinyl. Valintine's was red, Reconsider was blue, Always was purple, and the reissue of Christmas had a false start on White Christmas, and green vinyl. Fun times collecting back then. Reconsider is the only one that really holds up from the comps as an LP. It is still a great play.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:50 am

Hi Keith!
Thanks for the links. I haven't had time to play it all through. But, the running time for the Valentine version seem to run a little longer.
First impression is that the Valentine sound is very dull, while the Spinout version has a much clearer sound to it!
Not much to rave about regarding the Valentine album version, so far!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:14 am

At the time I thought "Young And Beautiful" and "I Need Somebody To Lean On" sounded great! Vinyl btw.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:21 am

Juan Luis wrote:At the time I thought "Young And Beautiful" and "I Need Somebody To Lean On" sounded great! Vinyl btw.

And now ?

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:24 am

ColinB wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:At the time I thought "Young And Beautiful" and "I Need Somebody To Lean On" sounded great! Vinyl btw.

And now ?
I can play it again and report back...has been years!

Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:28 am

Juan Luis wrote:
ColinB wrote:

And now ?

I wasn't asking what you thought of them now.....

I was absent-mindedly starting to sing My Way....

Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:04 pm

ColinB wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
ColinB wrote:

And now ?

I wasn't asking what you thought of them now.....

I was absent-mindedly starting to sing My Way....
Too late! Interesting but noise reduction to the max and "Tommorrow Is A Long Time " mix very different. So...not essential imo.

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:30 pm

Mike Eder wrote:The 1985 ones were cool to collected because of the colored vinyl. Valintine's was red, Reconsider was blue, Always was purple, and the reissue of Christmas had a false start on White Christmas, and green vinyl. Fun times collecting back then. Reconsider is the only one that really holds up from the comps as an LP. It is still a great play.
I have to say,my version of Always on my mind LP,has clear vinyl,you can see through it...Someone else has this one to?

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:37 pm

Nora Sivle!

I do! Bought in Norway! I think it's a German pressing?

Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:47 pm

I have both the original vinyl album and cd. Haven't listened to either in years. As I recall I was quite excited at the time because "I Need Somebody To Lean On" was on the album (and in stereo). A first at the time I believe. This is a vastly underrated/under appreciated track.

Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:58 am

I have a clear Elvis LP too. It's from Belgium. It's a 1985 release called One Night With Elvis. Good collection of hits and album cuts from 54-63.

Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:27 pm

I got a spare of the Cd if anyone one wants to trade :)

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:06 am

I was just listening to my "A Valentine Gift For You" CD, and that mix really caught my ears... I'm using headphones.
"Tomorrow Is A Long Time" is a song I almost always skip (too long and repetitive for me), but this time I listened to it completely.

On the other hand, "I Was The One" and other 50's songs sound so freaking bad, but it brings back memories from my childhood, when inferior sources were used on compilations and that was the way I first heard them back then.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:09 am

JimmyCool wrote:I was just listening to my "A Valentine Gift For You" CD, and that mix really caught my ears... I'm using headphones.
"Tomorrow Is A Long Time" is a song I almost always skip (too long and repetitive for me), but this time I listened to it completely.

On the other hand, "I Was The One" and other 50's songs sound so freaking bad, but it brings back memories from my childhood, when inferior sources were used on compilations and that was the way I first heard them back then.

Exactly! Same with me. Did a vinyl rip quite a while ago, have to check out "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" though.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:04 am

Update: On that version I hear some instruments more upfront... and a whole lot of no-noise. :wink:

Elvis Presley - Tomorow Is A Long Time ('A Valentine Gift For You', 1985).wav (File size: 57MB)
http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/68011729/file.html

Until now I didn't realize the ending had been artificially extended. Thanks for the motivation, Jimmy! ::rocks

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:10 am

Yeah, I've been listening to these old CDs lately, for sentimental reasons... :D

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Shoot, I messed up the initial post. Almost six years ago bajo asked for the CD version... :)

As I don't have the CD just the red vinyl edition: can anybody confirm a difference in sound between vinyl and CD on this particular track?

Thanks in advance.