Sound quality on Elvis Albums overrated!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

svallen
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by svallen »

The FTD cd"Something for everybody"
This one got the soundquality everybody wants to hear.
This sounded good on vinyl,and damn good on FTD cd.
Bill Porter was the sound engineer on this one.
Recorded in the RCA studio B in Nashville.
He changed acoustics in the studio when he started there in late 50`s snd some other technical things by experimenting with different equipments.This cd got punch,space and good fat sound in lower frequenses.
This cd/lp was not one of Elvis famous albums but his but the singing quality of Elvis and the musicians are magnificent.We want more cd`s with this soundquality! :D

memphisflash

Post by memphisflash »

svallen wrote:The FTD cd"Something for everybody"
This one got the soundquality everybody wants to hear.
This sounded good on vinyl,and damn good on FTD cd.
Bill Porter was the sound engineer on this one.
Recorded in the RCA studio B in Nashville.
He changed acoustics in the studio when he started there in late 50`s snd some other technical things by experimenting with different equipments.This cd got punch,space and good fat sound in lower frequenses.
This cd/lp was not one of Elvis famous albums but his but the singing quality of Elvis and the musicians are magnificent.We want more cd`s with this soundquality! :D
Oh boy, this is the worst of the bunch, i can't hold a candle to the mainstream release ... :shock:

LesterB
Registered for: 18 years

Post by LesterB »

RIGS - can I ask what equipment are you listening to the recordings on?

I have a reasonably good system in my front room and cannot tell a big difference in sound quality with the new improved Elvis cds.

HOWEVER - my dedicated high end :D hi-fi system in my Elvis room shows the remastered Elvis recordings to be far superior to previous cds with the exception of maybe a couple of cds. The HIS HAND IN MINE recordings are astonishing. Another example is STARTING TODAY - I can actually hear Elvis sniff on the last notes of the song!!

JUST FOR TODAY

svallen

Post by svallen »

I got an powerful ROTEL amplifier 2X 105 watts.
Cdplayer is TECHNICS 2000,an disguised TEAC VRDS 6 cdplayer.
D/A converter from ROTEL connected with optical cable from MONSTER cables.
Cables from D/A converter to amplifier are from SOLARIS
Cables from amplifier to loudspeaker is oxygen free copper.
Loudspeakers are worldfamous DALI 6006.
Igot an own powerline to the equipment for clean powersource.
And i do not have sh*t in my ears,just kidding. :wink:

LesterB

Post by LesterB »

svallen wrote:I got an powerful ROTEL amplifier 2X 105 watts.
Cdplayer is TECHNICS 2000,an disguised TEAC VRDS 6 cdplayer.
D/A converter from ROTEL connected with optical cable from MONSTER cables.
Cables from D/A converter to amplifier are from SOLARIS
Cables from amplifier to loudspeaker is oxygen free copper.
Loudspeakers are worldfamous DALI 6006.
Igot an own powerline to the equipment for clean powersource.
And i do not have sh*t in my ears,just kidding. :wink:
Thats nothing I have ..... almost forgot this is an Elvis forum not a hi-fi forum. Your system does look/sound good :D

JUST FOR TODAY

Topic author
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

LesterB wrote:RIGS - can I ask what equipment are you listening to the recordings on?

I have a reasonably good system in my front room and cannot tell a big difference in sound quality with the new improved Elvis cds.

HOWEVER - my dedicated high end :D hi-fi system in my Elvis room shows the remastered Elvis recordings to be far superior to previous cds with the exception of maybe a couple of cds. The HIS HAND IN MINE recordings are astonishing. Another example is STARTING TODAY - I can actually hear Elvis sniff on the last notes of the song!!
Nothing over the top. Just an everyday set. But it looks like you have a fancy system. Have you ever listened to a Stones, Dylan remaster or as Peter Franks pointed out the "london calling" remaster?

But I would like to say that I don't think the Elvis remasters sound bad, No!..far from it! But I have the feeling they can do so much more with it. I think Peter Franks says it best in his reply. I couldn't agree more!

And as for E1. Yess that's one disc, on which I thought the sound was excellent. I wish they could remix/ remaster the entire catalogue that way.

Opinions are like a-s-s-h-o-l-e-s: everyone has got one

LesterB

Post by LesterB »

Rigs wrote:And as for E1. Yess that's one disc, on which I thought the sound was excellent. I wish they could remix/ remaster the entire catalogue that way.
Its strange that you should mention that one because it sounds dreadful on my system (relatively speaking)

Some of the other remasters that you mentioned like the stones can sound very bright on a revealing system and harsh to the ear.

An example of this would be FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS & BACK IN MEMPHIS paper sleeve 2001 Jap re-masters and BMGs double cd release -anthology.

When I play those cds on my system in the front room the Jap re-masters win hands down. On my hi-end system the STANDARD BMG wins out hands down with best overall sound by miles out of the two systems. Infact the Jap re-master is too bright and harsh to listen too on a revealing system.

Getting back to HIS HAND IN MINE - played through a proper hi-fi stereo system - its as good as it can possibly be IMO.

JUST FOR TODAY

Topic author
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

What is it with those Japenese remasters. I've heard so many good stories about them. How is the sound compared to the classic albums. And how come they sound so good. Do any of you know the source for these remasters. Do the Japanese have their own copies of the mastertapes?

Please enlight me?

Claus

Post by Claus »

LesterB wrote: Its strange that you should mention that one because it sounds dreadful on my system (relatively speaking)
I couldn't agree more. It's an awful sounding cd. If all Elvis cds sounded like E1, I wouldn't buy them.

LesterB

Post by LesterB »

Rigs wrote:What is it with those Japenese remasters. I've heard so many good stories about them. How is the sound compared to the classic albums. And how come they sound so good. Do any of you know the source for these remasters. Do the Japanese have their own copies of the mastertapes?

Please enlight me?
They are very hit and miss in my system but they might all be a hit in other systems. For a complete list do a search of Matthew's posts. He was the one who got me into them.

JUST FOR TODAY

KiwiAlan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by KiwiAlan »

This is very interesting topic which needs thorough exploration.

My time is limited right now...but I have to say the original Everly and Orbison vinyl tracks are much "clearer" then Elvis tracks (all done by Porter). The guitars have much more detail.

Off the top of my head I'm inclined to feel it must be down to the room set up.

IMHO the FTD restored tracks are much improved over the orignals...more dynamic room and presence.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Rigs wrote:What is it with those Japenese remasters. I've heard so many good stories about them. How is the sound compared to the classic albums. And how come they sound so good. Do any of you know the source for these remasters. Do the Japanese have their own copies of the mastertapes?

Please enlight me?
Rigs,

There is a long-running (11-page) thread on the Japanese remasters entitled:
Japanese Remasters #1 overall Redbook CD sound

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23296&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=japan

Personally, outside of maybe the his first Christmas album, the Japanese remasters are slowly being surpassed by most of RCA and FTD's recent releases, and /or quite a few titles merely sound like they had the levels boosted, which can give you a headache as well as being easy to spot on better systems...Off the top of my head, I still like what they did with "Madison Square Garden," but outside of that, I feel like I will be listening to "Raised On Rock" via FTD and even the much (overly?) maligned "Today" FTD instead of the Japanese remaster. Overall, however, they just have a different and interesting sound and are worth exploring. The Japan thread above will offer you a myriad of opinions on them..

I'm sure audophiles "thenexte" and Juan and others will notice this thread soon.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

LesterB

Post by LesterB »

KiwiAlan wrote:This is very interesting topic which needs thorough exploration.

My time is limited right now...but I have to say the original Everly and Orbison vinyl tracks are much "clearer" then Elvis tracks (all done by Porter). The guitars have much more detail.
Unfortunately there is very little re-mastered material on vinyl for Elvis. The 60’S box set has so many tracks crammed in per side the sound quality really suffers. However, there are some very good recordings of Elvis on vinyl and when you compare them with the cd equivalent the vinyl just blows the CD’s away in terms of sound quality. Vinyl has 100% of the information on it and when played through a decent turntable like a Linn Sondek it cannot be beaten for sound quality. However, you do get some surface noise from vinyl but much more information and greater dynamics.

JUST FOR TODAY

Topic author
Rigs

Post by Rigs »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote: Rigs,

There is a long-running (11-page) thread on the Japanese remasters entitled:
Japanese Remasters #1 overall Redbook CD sound

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23296&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=japan

Personally, outside of maybe the his first Christmas album, the Japanese remasters are slowly being surpassed by most of RCA and FTD's recent releases, and /or quite a few titles merely sound like they had the levels boosted, which can give you a headache as well as being easy to spot on better systems...Off the top of my head, I still like what they did with "Madison Square Garden," but outside of that, I feel like I will be listening to "Raised On Rock" via FTD and even the much (overly?) maligned "Today" FTD instead of the Japanese remaster. Overall, however, they just have a different and interesting sound and are worth exploring. The Japan thread above will offer you a myriad of opinions on them..

I'm sure audophiles "thenexte" and Juan and others will notice this thread soon.
Thank you! These japense disc are beginning to interest me!
LesterB wrote: Unfortunately there is very little re-mastered material on vinyl for Elvis. The 60’S box set has so many tracks crammed in per side the sound quality really suffers. However, there are some very good recordings of Elvis on vinyl and when you compare them with the cd equivalent the vinyl just blows the CD’s away in terms of sound quality. Vinyl has 100% of the information on it and when played through a decent turntable like a Linn Sondek it cannot be beaten for sound quality. However, you do get some surface noise from vinyl but much more information and greater dynamics.
You right! I have a first (american) print of "50 000 000 elvis fans". And the sound on that one is marvelous. It so clear and has great dynamics. I'm curious if the classic album reissue can match that sound.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 19 years

Post by ritchie valens »

has bmg ftd actually use the 1st generation tapes to master from or the same copies of copies.
the bear family box sets are the best since they use every tape that exists leaving nothing unreleased. us needs to take a lesson from them how to do it right the 1st time.

memphisflash

Post by memphisflash »

ritchie valens wrote:has bmg ftd actually use the 1st generation tapes to master from or the same copies of copies.
the bear family box sets are the best since they use every tape that exists leaving nothing unreleased. us needs to take a lesson from them how to do it right the 1st time.
No, Kevan [or Sebastian] are using digital copies, the analogue masters will not leave the vault. That reminds me of an interesting article from the 'Man and his music' [number 2 I believe], which has an interview with Bob Jones prepping the tapes for essential Elvis vol. 2 [Stereo '57]. He had lot's of problems with the digital copies, sounding very bad, so he asked for the original masters, -which he got!!-, and he tells about the enormous difference in quality - interesting article, maybe someone could upload this ?

Maurice Carver

Post by Maurice Carver »

memphisflash wrote:That reminds me of an interesting article from the 'Man and his music' [number 2 I believe], which has an interview with Bob Jones prepping the tapes for essential Elvis vol. 2 [Stereo '57]. He had lot's of problems with the digital copies, sounding very bad, so he asked for the original masters, -which he got!!-, and he tells about the enormous difference in quality - interesting article, maybe someone could upload this ?

Interesting thought, I will check my old TMAHM.

memphisflash

Post by memphisflash »

Okay, I found the article, it was from the first issue of TMAHM - December '88 [is it THAT long ago ? - I'm gettin' old] But still very interesting, here it goes ....

© The Man And His Music

Maurice Carver

Post by Maurice Carver »

Very interesting read, thanks for posting.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Yes. Most fascinating!!!

Reverb is a big thorn of mine. I expect it to be there. Some EP material, whether due to the actual recording conditions or subsequent mixing / mastering or a combination of both, simply sounds too dry (IMO). The human voice and other instruments naturally sound better with reverb (IMO). It thickens and "creams up" the sound.

I cannot begin to put into words how much better a soundboard comes across with proper reverb. Juan Luis can explain further. There's a file of Elvis singing "Danny Boy" live on YouTube right now. When I add reverb via my PC's soundcard, the recording comes to life in a whole new way. It feels like I'm in the arena. Listening to Elvis hit those high notes with reverb is something else. I feel like I've gotten a step closer to understanding why people went mad over Elvis and often came away thinking they'd watched a "good" or "great" show, even when the recordings suggest otherwise. (Yes, there are many factors -- but the performances themselves come across better when played back correctly).

Just recently, I've been experimenting on my PC and tweaking some "Elvis is Back" and "Comeback Special" recordings. Reverb is only one aspect. Here is Elvis' live performance of "Santa Claus Is Back In Town". I'll let you guys be the judge:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/fd282c/

Mike DK

Post by Mike DK »

I can't get the download to work...anyone else who has the same problem ?

Spellbinder
On Suspension Until Further Notice...

Post by Spellbinder »

Mike DK wrote:I can't get the download to work...anyone else who has the same problem ?

Doesn't work for me.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Yeah. I was actually expecting that might happen. I'll look into it. Probably post a separate thread in a few days.

Spellbinder

Post by Spellbinder »

Cryogenic wrote:Yeah. I was actually expecting that might happen. I'll look into it. Probably post a separate thread in a few days.
If you were actually expecting it might happen why post it?

Russian fan
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Russian fan »

Spellbinder wrote:If you were actually expecting it might happen why post it?
I don't know what anybody was expecting, BUT I downloaded it. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to compare it to the [let's call it] unprocessed version. The sound is in my opinion very rich and the reverb is totally in place there. But the noise is very annoying in a couple of places - but again I think this could be fixed. Fine job!

Best wishes,
Yuri Nikulin