Tom Jones and Elvis in late 60's

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 21 years

Tom Jones and Elvis in late 60's

Post by ekenee »

I just rented the 3 disc "This is Tom Jones" set.

First off, there is a nice interview with Tom and he brings up Elvis as an influence and how he told the producers that he wanted to book the early rockers, Jerry lee, Little Richard, Ray Charles, etc.

Since Tom And Elvis were known to hang out some, it got me thinking if he asked Elvis to be on his show. It would have been phenomonal.

If you haven't seen the show Tom had a concert segment at the end of each show and its similar to ELvis' stand-up 68 show, and Tom moves and I must say its pretty good stuff, along with the duets and guess stars he had.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Of course he did and, naturally, it could not be made to happen.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Tom and Elvis would have been an interesting combo -- but Elvis was, is and will always be in a league of his own. He didn't need to share the stage with anyone (his band / backing singers excepted) and he certainly didn't need to appear on a "Tom Jones" television show. Let's keep some perspective here.

Bodie
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Bodie »

Wasnt it something to do with the 1960 Sinatra Show, that Elvis was contracted to do another with Sinatra and couldnt perform with any other entertainer before doing another Sinatra Show?

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

John from Woodley wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:Tom and Elvis would have been an interesting combo -- but Elvis was, is and will always be in a league of his own. He didn't need to share the stage with anyone (his band / backing singers excepted) and he certainly didn't need to appear on a "Tom Jones" television show. Let's keep some perspective here.
He didn't need to anymore than many of Tom's other guests. It would have been fun though.
You missed my point. Elvis had gone beyond television -- except when he was the star attraction. He was too iconic. That was half his problem, but it's also what made Elvis Elvis.

drjohncarpenter

Cryogenic wrote:He didn't need to share the stage with anyone ...
He shared the stage with Tom in 1974.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Cryogenic: he certainly didn't need to appear on a "Tom Jones" television show. Let's keep some perspective here.

Perspective? He performed with Frank Sinatra, a guy from that other boring generation of easy listening singers. I would rather have seen Elvis and Tom jam together than see that crap duet with old, very old blue eyes. Tell me have you seen the show I am speaking about?

And of course by 1969 Elvis didn't need to, but the point of my question was if he was approached to do so.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

If Elvis Presley and Tom Jones had shared a TV show together....then one of them would have come across as a dingoes backside!

And we know who, don't we possums.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:He didn't need to share the stage with anyone ...
He shared the stage with Tom in 1974.
Context? Pictures? Recordings? Didn't he just get up and say "hi"? Hardly the same thing, Doc!
ekenee wrote:Perspective? He performed with Frank Sinatra, a guy from that other boring generation of easy listening singers. I would rather have seen Elvis and Tom jam together than see that crap duet with old, very old blue eyes. Tell me have you seen the show I am speaking about?
Oh, jeeze. Of course I've seen it -- and it's a landmark piece of entertainment. I knew someone would bring that up. My refutation is the one you actually gave:
ekenee wrote:And of course by 1969 Elvis didn't need to
Elvis went from person to performer to icon to myth to legend -- in his own lifetime. At some stage in that transmogrification, he outgrew "guest" status.

I just want to return to a couple of your comments:
ekenee wrote:He performed with Frank Sinatra, a guy from that other boring generation of easy listening singers.
ekenee wrote:I would rather have seen Elvis and Tom jam together than see that crap duet with old, very old blue eyes.
Your disrespect for Sinatra is sad and telling. He wasn't called "The Voice" or "The Chairman of the Board" for nothing. After and alongside Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra was the premier vocalist of the 20th century. Listen and learn! In addition, he was an Oscar-winning actor who appeared in a string of venerable films -- the very thing that Elvis wanted and never achieved. In 1960 when Sinatra appeared with Presley, Frank was a healthy and resplendent 44 years of age. Incredibly, he was still to form his own record label and record his most iconic songs. At 42, Elvis Presley was dead.

Topic author
ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Cryogenic it looks like we are going to have to dissagree again(surprise).

I have listened to alot of Frank Sinatra. I just have never cared for the tone of his voice. Not that I don't appreciate that type of music, I do, but I just don't like Franks music.

Nat King Cole
Patti Page
Dean Martin
Doris Day

To name a few are vocalists that I do enjoy now and then in that style of music.
I just don't like Frank Sinatra, as a vocalist or an actor. Fair enough.
I won't hold it against you that you like him. Its all subjective.
But I have seen the complete 1960 "welcome home" special, and other than the 6 minutes Elvis is there, it is a tough watch. I think if Dean were there, it would have worked better for me. I have the DVD Rat Pack concert and I enjoy that, but mainly for Dean and Sammy davis.

And I do agree with you that Elvis "outgrew" guest status, but as I wrote on a thread many moons ago, it sure would have been cool to see Elvis "guest" on the tonight show with Johnny Carson and sing
"Burning love" or "promised land", or "always on my mind".

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

ekenee wrote:I have listened to alot of Frank Sinatra. I just have never cared for the tone of his voice. Not that I don't appreciate that type of music, I do, but I just don't like Franks music.

Nat King Cole
Patti Page
Dean Martin
Doris Day

To name a few are vocalists that I do enjoy now and then in that style of music.
I like those artists, but they don't seriously compare to Sinatra.
ekenee wrote:I just don't like Frank Sinatra, as a vocalist or an actor. Fair enough.
I won't hold it against you that you like him. Its all subjective.
Definitely. But I'd prefer if people were sometimes a little more attentive to their language. Sinatra may have been older than Elvis and he may have come from a different generation -- but he was hardly craggy or washed-up. It is genuinely sobering to think that Elvis towered over Sinatra (literally and otherwise) with his looks, charisma, affinity for cross-cultural music and all-round potential. In 1960, it seemed like he could and would do anything. Yet he'd already lived out more than half his life.
ekenee wrote:it sure would have been cool to see Elvis "guest" on the tonight show with Johnny Carson and sing
"Burning love" or "promised land", or "always on my mind".
It would have been cool to see and hear Elvis do lots of things he never did. For his entire life and beyond, he's left people wanting more.

drjohncarpenter

KiwiAlan wrote:If Elvis Presley and Tom Jones had shared a TV show together....then one of them would have come across as a dingoes backside!
If Elvis had made an appearance on Tom's variety show in 1969-70, there is no doubt that Jones would have been especially gracious and accommodating to his friend and inspiration. And they would've been terrific -- by all accounts the jams they shared between 1968-1973 were always high-spirited and fun.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Cryogenic wrote: Sinatra may have been older than Elvis and he may have come from a different generation -- but he was hardly craggy or washed-up.

I agree here. I do understand his accomplishments and I have liked some of the songs over the years, but I just never found his voice appealing. Again a subjective thing.

Actually I think by 1960 Elvis had outgrown his "guest" status.

Think about it. It's 1960 and Elvis had been away for 2 long years.

His fans were looking forward to his return and were receptive to anything he had to offer.

He should have and could have headlined his own "Elvis is Back"
Tv special. That is really what should have happened, instead of a 6 minute stint on a Frank and company welcome home deal.

Narek
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Narek »

Sinatra is and always will be among the best vocalists of the 20th century. He was an extremely talented iconic artist. His duet with ELvis was no more than a jam on stage.

He's the King. No matter what you think.

Topic author
ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Narek wrote: His duet with ELvis was no more than a jam on stage.

Actually Joey Bishop said it best at the conclusion of the duet. After Frank states that he wonders what would have happened if he recorded "Love me Tender" and not Elvis. Joey said, "Yeah about 2 million records less".

Deleted User 930

Post by Deleted User 930 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:And they would've been terrific -- by all accounts the jams they shared between 1968-1973 were always high-spirited and fun.
I can't judge that because I haven't heard all of their jams.
On the tape from August 19 1969 you can clearly hear that Elvis gets a bit annoyed by Jones.
Maybe that's the reason why it doesn't last very long and Elvis calls it a day?

Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Cryogenic wrote:Your disrespect for Sinatra is sad and telling. He wasn't called "The Voice" or "The Chairman of the Board" for nothing. After and alongside Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra was the premier vocalist of the 20th century.
So you haven't heard Scott Walker? I think YOU need to listen and learn, buddy. :wink: I like Frank Sinatra too but I prefer ballad singer like Elvis, Scott Walker, Charlie Rich and George Jones over him any day of the week. (Frank once said George Jones had the second greatest voice in the world....)

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Eddie
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Eddie »

I agree that it was as much Elvis' non appearances that made his iconic status as anything. His reluctance in giving interviews, appearing on tv shows etc all added to the mythological icon that is Elvis Presley. For me as great as it would be to have them in my collection[if Elvis did them], the tv shows of Dean Martin, Tom Jones etc made them seem somewhat less a star to me, more a household celebrity.

I got you melancholy baby, built like a melon face like a collie.

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by jetblack »

Kempodick wrote:-
On the tape from August 19 1969 you can clearly hear that Elvis gets a bit annoyed by Jones.

What tape are you referring to here?

Andy

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote: I like Frank Sinatra too but I prefer ballad singer like Elvis, Scott Walker, Charlie Rich and George Jones over him any day of the week. (Frank once said George Jones had the second greatest voice in the world....)
Keith Richards, Jr.
Frank must've had 1 highball too many when he said that.

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

jetblack wrote:Kempodick wrote:-

What tape are you referring to here?

Andy
Yes, I am curious about that too? Are you referring to the CDR Where's Tom Tonight?

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

I'm reminded of that powerhouse duet between Tom Jones and Janis Joplin. The intensity level just kept rising as the number progressed. They clearly raised each others game. If Elvis had appeared on Jones' tv show I think the same thing would've happened. If anything, it would've been even more dynamic than Jones/Joplin - if that's possible!

Little Darlin
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Re: Tom Jones and Elvis in late 60's

Post by Little Darlin »

ekenee wrote:I just rented the 3 disc "This is Tom Jones" set.

First off, there is a nice interview with Tom and he brings up Elvis as an influence and how he told the producers that he wanted to book the early rockers, Jerry lee, Little Richard, Ray Charles, etc.

Since Tom And Elvis were known to hang out some, it got me thinking if he asked Elvis to be on his show. It would have been phenomonal.

If you haven't seen the show Tom had a concert segment at the end of each show and its similar to ELvis' stand-up 68 show, and Tom moves and I must say its pretty good stuff, along with the duets and guess stars he had.
I'm waiting until they bring these Discs out in all their glory with EVERYTHING on them before I even look at them.

I could only dream of having a show with Tom and Elvis on together...it would be a Special Show that's for sure. Sir Tom has always praised Elvis for being his influence in being a Singer so I think if it had been allowed to go ahead it would have been a dream come true for Tom too.

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Hey Cryo, go here for some Scott Walker performances:

Couldn't find his best stuff on You Tube unfortunately.

George Jones? Listen to "A Man I Always Wanted To Meet".

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Cryogenic

Post by Cryogenic »

Do I really have to do this?

Thanks for those links and recommendations, Keith. Yeah -- Scott Walker was quite a talent. But Sinatra was on a different level:

That is what singing and performing is all about, ladies and gents.