Elvis on Tour 1972 16mm Footage

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Elvis on Tour 1972 16mm Footage

Post by Little Darlin »

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ekenee »

Little Darlin, this actually has been on ebay many times before.

It's not as rare as you would think. There must be a few hundred sets floating around out there.

Back in the day before DVD's and VHS, the dealers would send catalogues of bootleg LP's and bootleg 8mm & 16mm footage.
This movie was offered in 16mm format.

It was so expensive so I collected on 8mm format. It was relatively cheaper. I didn't own this movie but,
I used to own the complete "thats's the way it is" in 6 reel, 8mm format along with many other cool stuff like sullivan shows, Dorsey shows etc.

What was neat was that I would view it on the wall and the image was bigger than a big screen TV at the time.

I no longer own any of my 8mm stuff, but those were the days.....of threading a film projector....what a hassle. How technology has changed.

The quality of the 8mm was pretty good too. better than later bootleg VHS versions of this stuff.

Topic author
Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

Thanks for the reply Ekenee..I have a few questions.

How long would each of the 16mm Reel run for... do You know or take a guess.

How long did Your 8mm TTWII Reels run for.

I've actually found A Company in the U.K. that can transfer this stuff to DVD..but would it lose quality by doing that?

It's still a Great Collectible though isn't it?

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Running time

Post by emjel »

A 16mm print will run for approx 30 mins per reel. On Tour should be on 3 reels. Most 8mm prints were on 400ft reels and lasted about 20 minutes. I have an Elmo 8mm Projector which will take 1200 ft reels. I have both 68 TV Special and Aloha edited on to one reel each. Don't watch them now, but those were the days.

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Little Darlin', emjel answered your question for the 16mm format.

But I think the 8mm reels lasted up to 25 minutes per reel.

The ebay listings I have seen are bootleg as far as I can tell.

I don't think this movie was available in 16mm for general sale.

If you copy your films to DVD professionally, theoretically you should only be losing one generation which should not be noticiable at all.

I am not so sure it would be worth doing since most stuff is available on DVD anyway, and it is very expensive to professionally transfer footage.

There maybe home systems that people can buy so you could do it yourself. I know there used to be for film to VHS. It was a matter of projecting the film thru your projector to the unit which had a mirror inside at a 45 degree angle which then went directly to the tape.

Because of the expense of doing my old family 8mm home movies I actually made a kinoscope so to speak. I projected my home movies on a screen then filmed them with video tape right off the screen, then used that tape to burn to DVD. I had relatively good results as well, considering it was 2 generations.

emjel

Running Time

Post by emjel »

Hi there - I think I can pretty much guarantee that you would not get 25 mins from a 400ft reel of Super 8mm film. I've got loads of it.

Topic author
Little Darlin

Post by Little Darlin »

Thanks You Guys.

I actually thought the Reels would hold longer than that, that's why I was excited about the 3 Reels part. I thought maybe they had just left the Camera running etc. and there would have been Hour's worth of Footage. Never mind.

Check here for the Prices of transferring if Anyone is interested.

http://www.affordable-35mm-slide-scanning.com/8mm-movie.html

http://www.alivestudios-memories.co.uk/movievault.html

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Little Darlin' did you check the prices? I said it was expensive, but I was going by 10 years when I last checked. It is really high now.

Just going by their charts for a 400 ft. reel of super 8mm film they charge 21 cents a foot to digitize. 400 X .21 cents, which is $84 just for that process, then and additional $20 to burn it to DVD. that is $104 just for 26 minutes of footage. Ouch!

That is why if you can do it your self and do a decent job you can save a lot of money.

Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Cryogenic »

Well, 16mm can convey a LOT of detail -- far superior to DVD / SD. But that would depend on its age and condition.

emjel

Post by emjel »

I'd save my money and wait for the proper DVD release. Then consider buying a DVD projector if you need a really big picture.

TONY

8MM

Post by TONY »

I still have a load of 8mm footage, including some concert reels which have done the rounds on video in inferior quality. There's nothing like owning the original or near original print. I also sometimes enjoy watching those 20 minute "highlights" reels of "Fun in Acapulco", "Roustabout", "Change of habit" etc - you can see the whole film in 20 minutes!!! Plus they're great picture quality projected on to a large screen, can't beat it!!