This is Elvis DVD (Extended Version)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Rockin_John
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by Rockin_John »

Ray wrote: you're in for some interesting language/dialogue from Elvis (that was filmed for but never used in Elvis On Tour).
This actually shocked the S*** out of me. Me and my girlfriend watched the movie last night... She's always going on about "how Elvis sleept with sooo many girls". And I'm always saying that they exaggerate things in the media.

And here is our hero himself bragging about some girl...

Fortunately the subtitles translation was so bad that they translated "She could give great head" to just that, "that she could give A head" (which in swedish doesnt make sense at all) :lol:

Keep on Rockin'

paulwood
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by paulwood »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I bought the DVD but haven't had time to screen it yet for more than a minute or two...

I was sorely disappointed when I got the VHS version and saw that sub-par (and poorly captured) version of "Love Me,"....The original use of "Are Yo Lonesome Tongiht" was far more effective, no matter how one views it.

Same here. The use of Are You Lonesome Tonight was very effective and moving and poignant as well.

They chose 'Love Me' because someone thought the lyrics could convey the same sentiment as Are You Lonesome TOnight' without upsetting people by showing pictures of Elvis crying. That version of 'Love Me' doesn't move anyone apart from the old vultures who went to Elvis concerts to see him up close and snatch scarves.

'Are You Lonesome Tonight' was TOO upsetting for most people - it was too much reality for an Elvis documentary.

We've got everyone protecting the Elvis image so everyone can make money off him - everything in documentarys is safe - so they can sell Elvis merchandise without it being tainted. No one wants the Elvis spoiling sales of Elvis guns, beer bottles comemorative coins .

At the end of the day - everything has to do with money and protecting the image for the sake of money.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

It's always been my understanding that "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" wasn't used in the home video version because WB wasn't able to secure the rights to use the song for home video release. Hence, the inclusion of "Love Me." A poor choice at best.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

JerryNodak wrote:It's always been my understanding "That Are You Lonesome Tonight?" wasn't used in the home video version because WB wasn't able to secure the rights to use the song for home video release. Hence, the inclusion of "Love Me." A poor choice at best.
Correct! The publishers wanted too much money.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Axeman wrote:
Ray wrote:Sheila

When you buy This Is Elvis you get 2 versions in the one package, the theatrical version (that is the version only ever shown in the cinema back in 1981...not seen on TV or video ever) and the 'video' version which has been shown on TV in many edited versions.
I'm sure I saw the theatrical version on TV here in the States in 1982-3. It was not out on video yet as I recall, which is why I made a point of watching it!

Axe
To my recall, the original television broadcast on cable TV's "HBO" was indeed the theatrical version. I saw this in '81 or '82, where it ran repeated all month. My older brother had just come back from California, where he'd seen the move in the theater and bought the double-LP along with a fold-out poster of the movie advertisement.

Anyway, as we watched it on HBO: he told me" Hey, they cut this scene!" The scene was reacting to was the scene where they added a cleaned-up "man that girl I was with last night...she could raise the dead.."

:roll: I was a little young to be hearing about this, I knew he couldn't be making it up... Other than that, I think HBO showed it as-is. In fact, it was often shown during the daytime, so I think HBO (pre-Monica Lewinsky/ Bill Clinton) felt the need for a tamer comment for daytime TV, even on cable.
rickeap wrote:I recall people cheering in the cinema after Elvis' 77 version of My Way.
The use of Love Me was a disgrace
rick
That's great! In our household, we also watched it with a twin sense of incredible sadness and yet also triumph.

And you're right: The "Love Me" add-in was truly a debacle. There's a twin sense of total sadness in "Are You Lonesome Tonight," watching him labor through this song with attempted humor and yet that sweetness comes through with his sense of "yeah, I'm a mess but stay with me people." It's a great cinematic moment,actually, though undeniably tragic, most of all.

It never should have been cut. I'd love to know whose idea this was? Did Solt like this change? What a joke.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Jamie

Post by Jamie »

is this in 5.1? If so is it an improvement on the original stereo?

cheers Jamie

Gator's got me Granny.

Tom in North Carolina

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:To my recall, the original television broadcast on cable TV's "HBO" was indeed the theatrical version. I saw this in '81 or '82, where it ran repeated all month. My older brother had just come back from California, where he'd seen the move in the theater and bought the double-LP along with a fold-out poster of the movie advertisement.

Anyway, as we watched it on HBO: he told me" Hey, they cut this scene!" The scene was reacting to was the scene where they added a cleaned-up "man that girl I was with last night...she could raise the dead.."
When TIE originally ran on HBO in late 1981/early 1982 it was the theatrical version. The only way I know this for sure is that I taped it off HBO at the time and just checked the tape (man, what a difference DVD makes). Besides, that awful dubbing wasn't added until later when NBC bought the rights to broadcast the film as a 3-hour event.

Tom

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Mike Eder »

Nobody knows where the bonus Graceland tour was shown?

Mike Eder

Tom in North Carolina

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

Mike Eder wrote:Nobody knows where the bonus Graceland tour was shown?
I think that footage is from a syndicated special that was broadcast in 1981 to promote TIE. There's an obvious connection.

Tom

Mike Eder
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Mike Eder »

I figured there was a tie in but never heard of this special before

Mike Eder