Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
TkoTzer
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Elvis' best take on...

Post by TkoTzer »

Elvis performed a lot of songs that were made famous by other artists before him. Some artists Elvis covered several times such as Chuck Berry, Ray Charles, Jerry Reed, and even the Beatles. So, I am wondering what everyone thinks. Who do you think Elvis covered the best (I'm thinking multiple songs by one artist). I personally enjoy Elvis' versions of songs written or popularized by Chuck Berry. Whether its Maybelline, Johnny B Goode, memphis, promised land, or monkey business, they flat out rocked. I think Chuck Berry songs were a perfect match for Elvis. What do the rest of you think?

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by rickeap »

He had an excellent conversion rate with three Tony Joe White songs, Polk Salad, Thing About You Baby and For ol' Times Sake
rick

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

He did great with Chuck, particularly Memphis, Too Much Monkey Business and Promised Land. I'd say his finest covers were the Crudup covers though - That's All Right, My Baby Left Me and So Glad You're Mine. Doesn't get better than that :)

KingOfTheJungle
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by KingOfTheJungle »

TJ wrote: I'd say his finest covers were the Crudup covers though - That's All Right, My Baby Left Me and So Glad You're Mine. Doesn't get better than that :)
agreed.

King Of The Jungle

Narek
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Narek »

Berry, Crudup, Ray Charles

He's the King. No matter what you think.

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

After listening to B.J.Thomas recently I can say Elvis covered some of his songs much better than B.J. sang them originally - apart from one!

B.J.'s version of I'm so Lonesome I could cry...it's haunting. I actually stopped what I was doing when I first heard it and really listened to the words and what they meant for the first time.

Never thought I'd say it but I have!

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010