MOJO magazine disrespects ELVIS?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Juan Luis

MOJO magazine disrespects ELVIS?

Post by Juan Luis »

In the latest issue about the best artists of all time has really pooped on EP...here is an example without Buddy Holly no Beatles. Without James Brown..no Prince...without Stones no Zeppelin Clash....get the idea picture?? Speaking of picture has Little Richard (on the cover) as Jesus and everyone behind him EP etcc.its a cartoon!! So far ok I guess but what they wrote about Elvis really got me!! Without Elvis 1. The Rock Star as we know it or something like that. 2. No Elvis impersonators! #2 got me bad. Nothing else to say about EP and 100 Rock stars get intelligent stuff said? Image
Last edited by Juan Luis on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoodVibrations

Post by GoodVibrations »

I've been reading Mojo for several years and I don't think they disrespect Elvis in any way.

If you by the latest issue mean the second latest issue (no. 163, the one you pictured) then that poll wasn't about "the best artists of all time", but about "100 Records That Changed The World!".

Elvis came in 3rd with "Heartbreak Hotel". Nice going I think. No. 1 was "Tutti Frutti" and no. 2 "I Want To Hold You Hand". Nice choices in my opinion.

Martin Carthy comments on Elvis were a bit bvaddr I'll admit, but that dosen't in any way represent Mojos attitude towards Elvis.

And the list was made up by musicians btw.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MOJO is the coolest general rock and roll magazine in the world, with excellent writers, careful editors and superb, creative layout and design.

In every instance where they have covered Elvis Presley, they have done so with sensitivity, honesty and restraint.

GV's take on the issue in question is spot-on, JL.

And a musician's choice of "Tutti Frutti" as the #1 record that changed the (our) world is almost impossible to argue.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

TONY

HOLD YOUR HAND

Post by TONY »

But "I wanna hold your hand" is just a silly little teenage love song. If they HAD to pick a Beatles record, I would have thought a much better song would have done it.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Elvis was second to none including little richard...and he was no altar boy behind the priest either! The others..maybe but not EP.

Brian Quinn

Post by Brian Quinn »

GoodVibrations wrote:I've been reading Mojo for several years and I don't think they disrespect Elvis in any way.

If you by the latest issue mean the second latest issue (no. 163, the one you pictured) then that poll wasn't about "the best artists of all time", but about "100 Records That Changed The World!".

Elvis came in 3rd with "Heartbreak Hotel". Nice going I think. No. 1 was "Tutti Frutti" and no. 2 "I Want To Hold You Hand". Nice choices in my opinion.

Martin Carthy comments on Elvis were a bit bvaddr I'll admit, but that dosen't in any way represent Mojos attitude towards Elvis.

And the list was made up by musicians btw.
Nice choices - 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' - Give Me A Break. This is a piece of pop drivel. 'Tutti Frutti' is a contender but the flip side 'Long Tall Sally' is much better.

Brian :roll:

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

And a musician's choice of "Tutti Frutti" as the #1 record that changed the (our) world is almost impossible to argue.
Totally dissagree and it is very easy to argue actually.

'Heartbreak Hotel' had a much bigger influence on music than 'Tutti Frutti' did.

Reason being was that in those days, black artists were not given the reconigition they deserved so it didnt get the impact it would have done if 'Tutti Frutti' was, say, recorded by a white singer.

There are two reasons why 'Heartbreak Hotel' was such an impact on society, 1. It was a recording that was totally different than anything else that had been heard and 2., it was the first record that brought Elvis's voice to a worldwide audience and cause Elvis was white, made more of an impact.

GoodVibrations

Post by GoodVibrations »

Brian Quinn wrote:Nice choices - 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' - Give Me A Break. This is a piece of pop drivel. 'Tutti Frutti' is a contender but the flip side 'Long Tall Sally' is much better.
Again, the poll concerned records that changed the world.
Not best records/artists.

And I would argue any day that "I Want To Hold Your Hand" changed the world forever. Drivel or not.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Where did Rock Around The Clock rank?

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

GoodVibrations wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:Nice choices - 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' - Give Me A Break. This is a piece of pop drivel. 'Tutti Frutti' is a contender but the flip side 'Long Tall Sally' is much better.
Again, the poll concerned records that changed the world.
Not best records/artists.
Its impossible to just have a 'record that changed the world' and forget about the singer, especially in the 50's.

As i have quoted, cause Little Richard was black, 'Tutti Frutti' didnt have the impact that it quite rightly should have had which is why society had Pat Boone and even Elvis do their own version's of the song on American TV.

GoodVibrations

Post by GoodVibrations »

Pete Dube wrote:Where did Rock Around The Clock rank?
Nowhere.

The top 10:
1. Tutti Frutti
2. I Want To Hold Your Hand
3. Heartbreak Hotel
4. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
5. Autobahn (Kraftwerk)
6. King Of The Delta Blues Singers (Robert Johnson)
7. The Velvet Underground (The VU and Nico)
8. Anthology Of American Folk Music (various)
9. What'd I Say (Ray Charles)
10. God Save The Queen (Sex Pistols)

I'm not saying my choices would be the same. Eg. no. 100 Crazy (Gnarls Barkley), haven't really noticed anything changing since that one was released :-).
But the op's topic was that Mojo disrespects Elvis, and they definitely don't.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Bodie wrote:Reason being was that in those days, black artists were not given the reconigition they deserved so it didnt get the impact it would have done if 'Tutti Frutti' was, say, recorded by a white singer.
But it was !

The insipid, sanitised, gutless Pat Boone cover tore the heart out of this song, and all the other so-called "rock 'n' roll" hits the guy had.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

GoodVibrations

Post by GoodVibrations »

Bodie wrote:As i have quoted, cause Little Richard was black, 'Tutti Frutti' didnt have the impact that it quite rightly should have had which is why society had Pat Boone and even Elvis do their own version's of the song on American TV.
Remember the list is made up by musicians, not mere mortals like you and me.
I would guess that they have taken into consideration, what influenced them, and in doing so "changed the world". Eg. Richards enourmous influence on McCartney.

Jamie

Post by Jamie »

good topic. But as has been pointed out this was a set of musicians opinions. Third seems good to me. And I agree with those who rank this magazine as the top one around (I also rate Uncut). Its previous articles on Elvis have been balanced and place Elvis in the correct context.

cheers Jamie

Gator's got me Granny.

paulwood

Post by paulwood »

If you follow the dogma that Elvis died when he joined the Army and you don't have a personal perspective on the King to call your own - then you might actually enjoy rock magazines like MOJO.

To me its just another magazine that toes the intellectual line on ELvis and re-inforces all the stereotypical views.

'Fraid they lost me after issue 1 or was it #2 when John Peel reviewed the 60's Boxed Set. Remember that one? Fair ? Balanced? Objective? Don't think so. That set the tone for what was to come and I've not missed anything by just buying the 'odd' issue and not subscribing.

Its Rock n Roll for people called Miles.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

GoodVibrations wrote:
Bodie wrote:As i have quoted, cause Little Richard was black, 'Tutti Frutti' didnt have the impact that it quite rightly should have had which is why society had Pat Boone and even Elvis do their own version's of the song on American TV.
Remember the list is made up by musicians, not mere mortals like you and me.
I would guess that they have taken into consideration, what influenced them, and in doing so "changed the world". Eg. Richards enourmous influence on McCartney.
He was also influenced By Buddy Holly who in turn was influenced a lot by Elvis. Elvis was first with that hiccup!

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

ColinB wrote:
Bodie wrote:Reason being was that in those days, black artists were not given the reconigition they deserved so it didnt get the impact it would have done if 'Tutti Frutti' was, say, recorded by a white singer.
But it was !

The insipid, sanitised, gutless Pat Boone cover tore the heart out of this song, and all the other so-called "rock 'n' roll" hits the guy had.
Even the Crew Cuts would have done better than Pat Boone! :lol:

GoodVibrations

Post by GoodVibrations »

paulwood wrote:If you follow the dogma that Elvis died when he joined the Army and you don't have a personal perspective on the King to call your own - then you might actually enjoy rock magazines like MOJO.
Whatever.
Ahhh, still remember the "good old days" on aek.

Bodie

Post by Bodie »

ColinB wrote:
But it was !

I know Pat Boone recorded it and his version was so far from pure Rock'n'Roll as you can get.
This is my point.

Society didnt want kids listening, not only to the song but the singer, which is why the impact would have been greater if the original recording of 'Tutti Frutti' was recorded by a white singer.
Because Little Richard was black, this classic recording didnt have the impact it could have got which is why 'Heartbreak Hotel' should be at No.1

These polls dont mean anything anyway.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

So Bill Haley gets the short end of the stick yet again. Rock Around The Clock was the record that hit big with the mass (read white) audience.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Last edited by Juan Luis on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Pete Dube wrote:So Bill Haley gets the short end of the stick yet again.
Rock Around The Clock was the record that hit big with the mass (read white) audience.
Yes, its brillliant use over the credits of the popular Blackboard Jungle film established it in the mind of those who didn't even buy records !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

paulwood wrote:'Fraid they lost me after issue 1 or was it #2 ...
'Fraid your opinion ain't worth much then, since MOJO has offered more than 150 issues since your comprehension problem occurred.

Jamie's comments are spot-on, too. There is some hope for this forum.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I'd say it's a rare oversight in an otherwise very Elvis-friendly (more so than any US rag) and overall high-quality magazine...

I'm a little surprised this is just coming up now. EIN had an article from a newspaper by someone relating the same surprise that someone could have ignored Elvis like that quite a few weeks ago...

I do find it revisionist and a bit ludicrous, even as someone who likes Little Richard more than many here on the forum.

It's just one issue and if it started to be a pattern with MOJO (it's not) I'd then become concerned.

Thanks for the post just the same. Every time I see it on the newstand, I have to look past it as it's just such a glaring oversight.

More than that, there's a little of that revisionist agenda at work.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

kris

Post by kris »

But "I wanna hold your hand" is just a silly little teenage love song
agreed, n°1 should be street hassle

"when someone turns that blue, you know it's universal truth the bitch will never **** again."

lou reed, 1978