Ernst's latest thoughts -- Raised on Rock, Sun project, etc.

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Ernst's latest thoughts -- Raised on Rock, Sun project, etc.

Post by elvissessions »

This could be posted in the "Why no Raised on Rock track listing" thread, but because Ernst goes wider than that topic, I'll start a new thread.

Personally, I believe in giving credit where credit is due, but because this source apparently isn't so popular with the folks who run this forum, I'll strip that. The source will be found out soon enough.
... talked personally to Ernst Jorgensen last week Friday and explained why the tracking list for the FTD "Raised On Rock" & "Easy Come, Easy Go" will be announced on the release date July 1, 2007.

We recieved in the past hundreds of e-mails, many times because of rumors were spread or fabricated. We got tired of this, not to mention answering them if I had time - I mean lost time.

And in the future it will be our policy to continue this with albums that are known by fans as the concept is crystal clear.

On the regular Ftd " I Sing All Kind" - this is such a "Special" release, this needed detailed information upfront for the fans.

The "Sun Project" well ... I wish I could say; This will be a Christmas release for 2007, but I am afraid this will not happen.

There is so much work I am focused on the last couple of weeks with the 30th Annv and next to that, I also have a lot of time spent now on the in-house for SONY/BMG... many things seems to change in the future for the music industry.

On the Sun... I really need like 8 weeks spending solely writing and being day and night focused without being distracted to finish this project.

But I can say you this; It's people like you and many,many others who helped me with rare/unpublished photo's and other information with this project, when it is finished it will be mind blowing...

Gotta go ... talk to you later...

Rob

Post by Rob »

Too bad about the Sun release probably not happening this year. I'm sure it will be worth waiting for though.

MB280E
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 21 years

Post by MB280E »

"There is so much work I am focused on the last couple of weeks with the 30th Annv and next to that, I also have a lot of time spent now on the in-house for SONY/BMG... many things seems to change in the future for the music industry."

I wonder what exactly could be expected for the 30th. anniv...?

Sincerely MB280E

"Folks, it´s been 9 years since I performed before a live audience. I´ve been busy making an 8mm film that hasn´t been released yet about a squirrel who gets lost in the wintertime and can´t find his nuts."

´98 W140 S320 (my new baby)
´90 W124 230E (sold...)
´81 W123 280E (R.I.P.)

garry100

Post by garry100 »

Yes I just read this on another website.

Nicely edited I must say :)

Never say never

kuenzer
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Re: Ernst's latest thoughts -- Raised on Rock, Sun project,

Post by kuenzer »

We recieved in the past hundreds of e-mails, many times because of rumors were spread or fabricated. We got tired of this, not to mention answering them if I had time - I mean lost time.
No understand. How can he prevent rumours from spreading by not giving details on forthcoming FTDs? I would have thought this rather provokes rumours? I don't get it. Anyone?

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

garry100 wrote:Yes I just read this on another website.

Nicely edited I must say :)
You mean the "other" website we cannot mention on here? I never understood what's up with that...

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

I find the reasons for hiding FTD details until release date rather specious.

If the FTD album titles were not announced in advance of release date, fair enough, but this could not be practcal.

Many sites are offering FTD's in advance of issue date expecting customers will buy without knowledge of the tracks or mastering details.

After all FTD claims to be a collectors label for fans only but makes a habit of being a little less forthcoming than for example a niche label like ACE.

If we now knew the ROR tracklist, then nobody would be emailing FTD on that subject.

If email problems are manifest then that is purely FTD's problem and can be fixed. We are being punished for their bad housekeeping.

We all dearly love the FDT label but a more info for us dedicated buyers would be welcome. We are paying well over market price for each issue!

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

KiwiAlan wrote:I find the reasons for hiding FTD details until release date rather specious.

If the FTD album titles were not announced in advance of release date, fair enough, but this could not be practcal.

Many sites are offering FTD's in advance of issue date expecting customers will buy without knowledge of the tracks or mastering details.

After all FTD claims to be a collectors label for fans only but makes a habit of being a little less forthcoming than for example a niche label like ACE.

If we now knew the ROR tracklist, then nobody would be emailing FTD on that subject.

If email problems are manifest then that is purely FTD's problem and can be fixed. We are being punished for their bad housekeeping.

We all dearly love the FDT label but a more info for us dedicated buyers would be welcome. We are paying well over market price for each issue!
I personally don't have any problems with FTD releasing the final track listing shortly before the physical release. It's not like we don't know what to expect for these types of releases...

Topic author
elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvissessions »

On the one hand, I want every piece of information as soon as I can get it -- and I'll still chase rumors and tips.

On the other hand, it's a constant source of frustration that by the time the albums are finally released, everybody's exhausted and already on to talking (and complaining) about the release that will be out three months later.

Especially for those of us who face the inevitable overseas delivery delay, it's not much fun that by the time we get the albums, no one's interested in talking about them anymore.

I don't really see this as such an outrageous move. Why not have the anticipation tied to the album's actual release, rather than the news release that comes out a month or two before?

Once we adjust to the new cycle, the delay won't really be that much different -- about three months from announcement to announcement. What's the big deal?

Barry

ep

Post by Barry »

I remember the days, long before the internet, where you had no idea a new LP was coming out, unless you were lucky enough to pick up a Billboard magazine, and not all outlets carried Billboard, so you did'nt know what tracks were on the LP, till you held it in your hand at the local record shop, and That's The Way It Was.

JerryNodak

Re: ep

Post by JerryNodak »

Barry wrote:I remember the days, long before the internet, where you had no idea a new LP was coming out, unless you were lucky enough to pick up a Billboard magazine, and not all outlets carried Billboard, so you did'nt know what tracks were on the LP, till you held it in your hand at the local record shop, and That's The Way It Was.

Ahhhhhhhhh. The good old days. So much simpler. And in some ways so much better.

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

He's offended by comments on this site and others? I think a hardy discussion of upcoming releases promotes interest and ultimately sales. I don't think much of the "it's for me to know and you to find out" attitude that seems to prevail these days. But, who the he-- cares what I think. I'll buy the FTDs anyway! I wish I had the courage to boycott products from companies with such a "corporate" attitude. Sadly, when it comes to Elvis I don't.

Mystery Train

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

MysteryTrain wrote:He's offended by comments on this site and others? I think a hardy discussion of upcoming releases promotes interest and ultimately sales. I don't think much of the "it's for me to know and you to find out" attitude that seems to prevail these days. But, who the he-- cares what I think. I'll buy the FTDs anyway! I wish I had the courage to boycott products from companies with such a "corporate" attitude. Sadly, when it comes to Elvis I don't.

Mystery Train
On the money MT! Elvis fans will NEVER EVER boycott Elvis releases and quite the contrary....

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

what NO track listing of a forthcoming FTD CD means for me is that instead of confidently placing a pre-order for it, i'm left WAITING to see IF? it contains 'new' tracks to be worthy of buying!? sure if it's 'good' i'll still buy it but not as soon as if i had a track listing beforehand to go on! :roll:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Axeman
Registered for: 18 years 8 months

Post by Axeman »

I'm sure most fans can buy FTD's knowing there must be at least SOME unheard tracks...at least everything is in one place with these releases.

I tend to believe that for the most part, with the classic album series anyway, if it ain't on it, they don't have it.

Axe

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

FTD could easily set a monthly newsletter to those who register which could provide news or essays from themselves and others.

This would tidy up rumours, etc. It could also provide an outlet for "how I did it " stories from the likes of Kevan, Sebastion etc.

If FTD don't have the time to run it then perhaps CD Collectors might!

FTD is not a regular record label. It has a very limited market of loyal buyers who deserve a little better.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

Not trying to be smart here but how much time could the 30th be costing him since Sony/BMG is not releasing anything?(except reissues)

etp
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by etp »

Ernst made it clear in his statement that special releases such as "I Sing All Kinds" will further get the tracklisting-information in advance. Only the "Classic Album" releases won't have a advance info anymore.

Personally, I don't have a problem with that as I don't know anyway how a specific alternate take sounds like. I mean: what's the use of knowing that on the RoR album take 3 of Sweet Angeline will be released instead of take 2, for example!?

Most interesting to me is the actual change at SONY/BMG .... wonder what's going on there.

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

etp wrote:Most interesting to me is the actual change at SONY/BMG .... wonder what's going on there.
For one thing Sony is exiting the studio production business, for another thing CD sales are down 20% this year! With all of that I just hope they don't leave behind the fans that are still interested in getting DSD reissues of the entire Elvis back catalog on the (now dying) CD format.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

KiwiAlan wrote:FTD could easily set a monthly newsletter to those who register which could provide news or essays from themselves and others.

This would tidy up rumours, etc. It could also provide an outlet for "how I did it " stories from the likes of Kevan, Sebastion etc.
My thoughts exactly. The only way, and I mean the ONLY way, to avoid rumours and speculation is to write detailed press releases or newsletters. And I, too, would love to hear great war stories from Kevan and Sebastian!

But to be honest, it's not a big deal to me whether the upcoming classic album releases include two or three or six takes of a song. I'll get all future classic albums and soundtracks regardless of how many unreleased outtakes there are on them. I don't buy them to get the outtakes but to have the original album in good sound and in cool packaging.
elvissessions.com wrote:On the other hand, it's a constant source of frustration that by the time the albums are finally released, everybody's exhausted and already on to talking (and complaining) about the release that will be out three months later.

Especially for those of us who face the inevitable overseas delivery delay, it's not much fun that by the time we get the albums, no one's interested in talking about them anymore.
Good point! I couldn't agree more. This new strategy could turn out to be a good one for us all.
thenexte wrote:For one thing Sony is exiting the studio production business, for another thing CD sales are down 20% this year! With all of that I just hope they don't leave behind the fans that are still interested in getting DSD reissues of the entire Elvis back catalog on the (now dying) CD format.
This sh*t worries me too. I sincerely hope this won't affect the future of FTD. I want them to stay in business long enough to get the Sun book and all remaining soundtracks and classic albums released.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Harty

Post by Harty »

I guess it is fair enough to know the tracklist of every FTD before the release. So I can check my take versions with my collection.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

whatever your thoughts on sound..nothing is cooler package wise than the paper sleeves from Japan "24 bit"...FTD looks cheap compared to those perfect reproductions even down to the spine. So personally (although will get them FTDs) do not care about classic album series cause for me they have been out already in the form I just mentioned. Btw..take the oportunity (and before anyone says you could have fooled me) I respect Ernst J. and know he is tops on EP's recordings specially his 50-60s output..and only he knows all the crap he has probably taken from the mother label and its ever changing management. I salute you Ernst J!! BUT (lol) please be closer to the people ...like your/our man was..he has given me lots of joy and others too! And he (EP) has given a lot of folks more than just joy!! But a livelihood as well!! Know what I mean? Back to regular programing folks and sorry for off topic maybe.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Ernst: "On the Sun... I really need like 8 weeks spending solely writing and being day and night focused without being distracted to finish this project."

Come on. BMG, give the guy a break.

Relieve him of all his other duties for a couple of months.

Let's have the Sun project ready for retail for Xmas 2007.............

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Keith Richards, Jr.

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Juan Luis wrote:nothing is cooler package wise than the paper sleeves from Japan "24 bit"...FTD looks cheap compared to those perfect reproductions even down to the spine.
Yeah, I have most of the Japanese paper sleeve CDs and they are really cool, no doubt about that! But to say the FTDs look cheap in comparison is not entirely fair. For example, the FTD versions of "Elvis Presley" and "His Hand In Mine" look more like the real thing than the Japanese CDs do... and they have booklets too. But I don't need "On Stage" on FTD for example because 1) the Japanese CD looks 100% cool and 2) the Japanese CD sounds 100% fabulous.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:nothing is cooler package wise than the paper sleeves from Japan "24 bit"...FTD looks cheap compared to those perfect reproductions even down to the spine.
Yeah, I have most of the Japanese paper sleeve CDs and they are really cool, no doubt about that! But to say the FTDs look cheap in comparison is not entirely fair. For example, the FTD versions of "Elvis Presley" and "His Hand In Mine" look more like the real thing than the Japanese CDs do... and they have booklets too. But I don't need "On Stage" on FTD for example because 1) the Japanese CD looks 100% cool and 2) the Japanese CD sounds 100% fabulous.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Cheap can be taken really bad and not my intention..but glossy paper fools you into thinking high quality but matte is the real deal..I hope I explained myself..a little. :)