Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elVis112
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Opening Night January 26, 1971

Post by elVis112 »

Years ago I saw a picture of the box that contained the reel for the opening night show from January 26, 1971. If I remember it correctly somebody (maybe it was Joan Deary?) wrote on the box that this tape is unusable because of heavy mic-overload and severe distortion. It also said that the tape was heavily twisted and "no good". Unfortunately I couldn't find the publication that had that picture of the reel box otherwise I would have added a scan of it.
Just recently I found for the first time ever a complete listing of the songs Elvis sang that night on another website (the reel box only listed the first couple of songs).
I was just curious...what has happend to that tape and who owns it now? Is it in the hands of BMG/FTD or in the hands of a private German collector (who back then owned it, if I'm not mistaken).
Up to this day only small portions of this particular show have been released and for some reason or other I was always interested in that show. Still I would really care for a restoration of that tape - if possible in any way - and a proper release.
By the way: does anybody have a clue what suit Elvis wore that night and do any pictures of that show exist at all? I have never seen any or they have been dated wrong...

Just for those interested I have included the tracklisting of the programme that night as posted on another website:

Also Sprach Zarathustra / That's All Right / Mystery Train - Tiger Man / Love Me Tender / Can't Help Falling In Love / Make The World Go Away / Something / Sweet Caroline / You've Lost That Loving Feeling / Polk Salad Annie / How Great Thou Art / Introductions / The Wonder of You / Heartbreak Hotel / Blue Suede Shoes / One Night / Hound Dog / Introductions / Little Sister - Get Back / Suspicious Minds / The Impossible Dream / Closing Vamp
Last edited by elVis112 on Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

...this is no time for siesta, this is time for fun!

Narek
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Narek »

That show should be awsome!

He's the King. No matter what you think.

DarrylMac
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by DarrylMac »

Thats a fantastic tracklisting - i know there are mixed reports from this season, but I'm sure that must have been a great show to attend.

Can you imagine though being sat there, and the panic that must have happened when they heard Can't Help Falling In Love start after only a few songs???? Anyone who had heard Elvis shows knew that this had always been the closer!

I'm not sure how well the arrangement for Can't Help... would have fit in the middle of a show instead of the end, but The Impossible Dream was always well sung, and made a fine alternative end.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

If I'm not mistaken most of this opening show is featured on the import All Things Are Possible. Regarding Can't Help Falling In Love performed in the early portion of the show, if you think about it, it comes across about the same as The Wonder of You. Both songs have the grande finale type of climax. TWoY would've been fine as an alternate show closer.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

If you listen to the All Things import, Elvis announces he's doing CHFIL early in honor of Hal Wallis who is in the crowd. The first pressing of All Things actually has the start of Make the Wolrd Go Away on it before it fades out. I think I saw the tape box picture on elvisbay.com, but it is no longer active.

Mike C

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Mike DK

Post by Mike DK »

Pete Dube;

Only 3 songs from the opening show is on the All Things Are Possible Disc.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Mike DK wrote:Pete Dube;

Only 3 songs from the opening show is on the All Things Are Possible Disc.
Oh. :oops:

Topic author
elVis112

Post by elVis112 »

Although some point out that "Make the World go away" and "Something" on the "THANK YOU VERY MUCH" release from Fort Baxter from back in 2003 are from the January 27 m/s, they might as well be from that opening night.

According to Ernst "Also sprach Zarathustra", "That's" all right" and "Johnny B.Goode" as featured on "The impossible Dream" are from that opening show (although that song is not even listed in the tracklisting of that show - funny eh?). Furthermore on "All things are possible" the three tracks "Mystery Train - Tiger Man", "Love Me tender" and "Can't help falling In Love" were featured.

So coming back to my question: does anybody have an idea to what degree this tape is usable i.e. audible? And who owns this tape by now BMG/FTD or some private collector?

For the songs that have been released so far from this concert the sound quality does not differ from the other soundboard shows known from that season. The most interesting part for me was the introduction Elvis does to "Can't help..." where he was referring to Hall Wallis. Here you can clearly hear the distortion obviously as a result of a twisted tape.

Maybe drjohncarpenter knows anything about this?

...this is no time for siesta, this is time for fun!

thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

BMG/FTD have six shows on soundboard from this season. The opening show, both shows from the 27th and the 28th, and the January 29 dinner show.

Per