Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Website Updated

Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:04 pm

Here's the link:

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/rockinrebel/index.htm

Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:52 am

Rebel -

Lovely work, a great Web site. The "Behind The Music" segment is excellent and I hope more people check it out:

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/rockinrebel/bm1.htm

Note: the Jan'55 Lubbock acetate performances of "Shake, Rattle and Roll" and "Fool, Fool, Fool" are issued at the wrong pitch -- they're running too fast. The former should be in the key of E -- as on the 1956 master -- and the latter in the key of A.

Thu May 01, 2003 2:54 am

Anyone?

Thu May 01, 2003 3:09 am

Yes agreed - I have complimented Rebel before on his website - informative and at the same time offering something a little different, which isn't easy with so many websites in the field.

I particularly enjoy the alternate albums concept and cover art.

Keep up the good work.

Mon May 05, 2003 5:36 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I had a request to make cover art for the FTD CD "The Way It Was", and have just uploaded them to the site. Here's the direct link:

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/rockinrebel/ftd.htm

Mon May 05, 2003 11:38 pm

Excellent website. Unlike anything else on the web and very well put together. Thanks

Tue May 06, 2003 12:27 am

again, my copliments. A very informative site with a different ( read: refreshing) approach. Very good indeed...!!

regards,
Stefan

Thu May 08, 2003 5:11 am

I've just added a further update that looks at Elvis' recording sessions from 1971, and particularly the secular recordings:

http://www.angelfire.com/music5/rockinrebel/index.htm

Thu May 08, 2003 5:27 am

Excellent overview, rebel!

Thu May 08, 2003 6:35 am

Keep up the great work!
Your site has been bookmarked ever since I found out about it.

jeff R

Thu May 08, 2003 7:54 am

Great site Rockinrebel!!!

But, you may want to do something about the bandwidth as it is down at the moment!!

Promocollector
:D

Thu May 08, 2003 3:08 pm

Great site , worth bumping up this thread.

Regards
Dan

Thu May 08, 2003 8:22 pm

A fine addition to the list of now 6 sites where I will spend my "Elvis time" while on the net.

Great and informative site, RR!

It just amazes me how you "authorities" can put all this information together.
The "Elvis 1971" and "Behind The Music" sections are very interesting reads. I simply eat this stuff up.

I can't tell how great it is to have met all the interesting people that I have on this MB.
It's good to know there are so many people out there that have the same passion for Elvis' music that I do.

Thanks again, rockinrebel!!! Great job!!!

Thu May 08, 2003 8:39 pm

Elvis Fan,

Glad you liked the site. I wouldn’t consider myself an “authority” on Elvis’ music, but we have more information available to us now than ever before, and in most cases the actual recordings are also available for further reference. All of this is helpful for both writing articles, and coming up with new ideas for the site.

I would recommend Ernst Jorgenson’s book “A Life In Music” if you haven’t already got it. In addition to the actual recording dates, Ernst’s gives great information on Elvis’ mood and comments at specific sessions, and what might have influenced him to try out certain songs. If you are interested in Elvis’ creative process the book is essential reading.

Thu May 08, 2003 8:56 pm

I do have "A Life In Music". Another excellent reference.

I do not have Joe Tunzi's book Sessions II. I would like to get the new "Sessions III" when it is available.
I am curious about how Joe's current book compares to Ernst's book.
Could anyone offer some insight?

Thu May 08, 2003 9:47 pm

The two editions of Tunzi’s “Sessions” are reference books, and don’t include detailed accounts of what happened at each session (as Ernst’s book does).
All sessions and known recordings are listed in chronological order, and there is helpful information on were alternate versions and different mixes of specific songs can be found, along with information on the production team, and musicians and backing singers present at each session.

“Sessions II” had additional sections on live shows, rehearsals, acetates and private recordings, information on what was filmed for “TTWII” and “On Tour”, a discography, and a list of essential bootlegs. I would expect that all this information would be included in “Sessions III”, along with the expected updates to all the chapters.