Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

the greatest Rock´n´roll record

Post by jeanno »

Rock´n´roll is something more than a rhythm and blues song performed by a white singer (that was B.B. King´s opinion on the subject). Rock´n´roll is an attitude, a way of living, an interpretation of music – and life – that combines power, spontaneity and freedom. To my point of view, if Rock´n´roll was a place, it would be the stage (tiny or enormous, that doesn´t matter) for a live concert. But if Rock´n´roll was an album (and only one), which one should it be? Now let´s chose it!

Power, spontaneity and freedom.
These are the key elements to get the perfect Rock´n´roll album. And that´s why I love so much Elvis Presley´s music: several times during is terrific career, he recorded some good Rock´n´roll that included those ingredients during the process of creation. In his earliest studio sessions, at Sun Records, under the supervision (or super vision, take it as you want) of Sam Phillips, he recorded the most difficult thing: timeless music. Listening to his Sun singles back in the mid-fifties or to the “The Sun Session” in 1976 or to “Elvis at Sun” some 50 years after the moment of music-making, the experience is just the same: everything sound incredibly fresh. The power may not be there right from the beginning but at the time Elvis cut GOOD ROCKIN´ TONIGHT, you can´t deny it. And when the quatuor (Elvis. Scotty, Bill and Sam) recorded the master take of MYSTERY TRAIN, everything was there, fitting perfectly, in its place. The power of Elvis´ voice, the spontaneity of the whole performance (including Presley´s laughter at the very end of the track) and that feeling of joyfulness that shines through all Sun recordings; the feeling that, only with a couple of guitars and a bass, and a man who can sing, you can express yourself through a song whatever the message is. That´s an important thing. That is freedom.

But more incredible is the fact that, some 15 years later, most of that feeling, most of that rock´n´roll, had prevailed. It seems that between January 1969 and june 1971, Elvis rediscovered his passion for recording in a studio. There were more that 100 songs kept on tape during those two years and not all had (some of) the magic of the Sun recordings. But some of them still had it. And they are easy to find: look for any jam performance from that era, gather´em in a single disc and you will get some of the greatest Rock´n´roll ever made. From I´LL HOLD YOU IN MY ARMS to the lazy and bluesy MERRY CHRISTMAS BABY, here you have it! It doesn´t matter if the first tune is a Country song sung in a bluesy way or if the latest is a blues song with a touch of Country. It´s Rock´n´roll. Complete the list with 1969 STRANGER IN MY OWN HOME TOWN, 1970´s GOT MY MOJO WORKIN´ / WHOLE LOTTA SHAKIN´ GOIN´ ON and 1971 Dylan´s DON´T THINK TWICE, IT´S ALL RIGHT. If you can listen to it without the tones of overdubs (that is, only Elvis with the rhythm band players and that´s all), much better. You can even see them and get an idea of how it was by watching those rehearsals for the movie “That´s the Way it is”. In a scene, Elvis moves so hard that he tore his pants : that´s power. That´s Rock´n´roll.

Recently, most of the Rock critics/magazines seem to agree by saying that some 1967 album (you know, the Pepper one) remains the greatest record in Rock history. When I read that, I found funny that, personally, my own greatest Rock album is – more or lss – from that same period. I said at the beginning of that… of that… of it that if Rock´n´Roll was a place, it should be a stage. Well in 1968, only a few months after the recording of the previously mentioned 1967 LP, Elvis made history (his way) by doing the greatest Rock´n´roll live performance ever, sitting down in the smallest stage ever. There were no hundred of hours recorded (but only two) to get the perfect sound. There were not dozen of instruments and musicians gathered for the occasion. There were only four men (a guitarist, a drummer – without drums – and two buddies) and a man singing, shouting and sweating as never before. Everything was rough and basic. Everything was perfect to Rock´n´roll: the hoarsy voice, the outfit, the songs (mostly r&b numbers like LAWDY MISS CLAWDY, BABY WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO or ONE NIGHT), the stage, the crowd. The sequence, the moment and the music are timeless. Again, power, spontaneity, freedom.

You really want the greastest Rock´n´roll “release”? I´ll give you my own: take a double CD jewell case and insert as DISC#1 the CD with the fist sit down show. As DISC#2, make your own little DVD disc with the firy performance of TIGER MAN from the second sit-down show and here you have it! Title it “Black Leather & Rock´n´Roll”: nothing, absolutely NOTHING in Rock history was/is/will be as great as that.

My 0.2$

PS: i would like to dedicate this post to likethebike whose topics and comments are some of the finest written in this board.

ChrisM
Registered for: 21 years

Re: the greatest Rock´n´roll record

Post by ChrisM »

jeanno wrote:if Rock´n´roll was a place, it would be the stage ... But if Rock´n´roll was an album (and only one), which one should it be?
...and if rock 'n' roll were a breed of dog, what breed of dog would it be?
jeanno wrote:My 0.2$
20 cents? Boy, inflation is getting ridiculous!

Chris

Topic author
jeanno

Post by jeanno »

ChrisM
...and if rock 'n' roll were a breed of dog, what breed of dog would it be?
Would be HOUND DOG, sure of that! :D

Sorry for the +0.18$...

Joe Car
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Joe Car »

Great writeup jeanno!

Topic author
jeanno

Post by jeanno »

Thanks Joe!

Here is a possible cover, for fun :

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The "Tiger Man" album is one that deserved greater attention that it received upon its release - fantastic CD.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Matthew wrote:The "Tiger Man" album is one that deserved greater attention that it received upon its release - fantastic CD.
Yes. Pity that Memoeies was released at the same time.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

jeanno wrote:Recently, most of the Rock critics/magazines seem to agree by saying that some 1967 album (you know, the Pepper one) remains the greatest record in Rock history.
Actually the top pick usually goes to Revolver, released by the Beatles in August 1966. And it is indeed incredibly great.

But if you're talking rock and roll, it doesn't get any better than Elvis' sit down performances on June 27, 1968.

Your audio compilation should include both 6 and 8 PM shows, released in full on Memories - The 68 Comeback Special (6 PM) and Tiger Man (8 PM) -- and maybe the blazing dressing room rehearsals of June 24 and 25, each found complete on the FTD label. If you're going the DVD route, the 2004 box set is all you need.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

jeanno wrote:Thanks Joe!

Here is a possible cover, for fun :

Good cover.

thefunkyangel
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by thefunkyangel »

drjohncarpenter wrote: Actually the top pick usually goes to Revolver, released by the Beatles in August 1966. And it is indeed incredibly great.
DJC, I was listening too Tomorrow Never Knows as I was opening up this post! Arguably the best master the lads laid down! Who can fault Ringo' hypnotic drumming!

sam

Post by sam »

thefunkyangel wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: Actually the top pick usually goes to Revolver, released by the Beatles in August 1966. And it is indeed incredibly great.
DJC, I was listening too Tomorrow Never Knows as I was opening up this post! Arguably the best master the lads laid down! Who can fault Ringo' hypnotic drumming!
I think Ringo was a very underated drummer!!!
Although that may be mainly in the past, as a lot of people seem to give him more credit these days!!! :D

I like Ringo, even as a solo artist he had some very good albums!!! :D

8)

Topic author
jeanno

Post by jeanno »

Matthew / KiwiAlan
"Tiger Man" is great but if I had to chose only one, i would take the first sit down show.

juan luis
Thanks!

doc
True: "Revolver" can be seen as their best ROCK album, although "Sergent Pepper" is considered as the Rock artistic peak. And that´s what i don´t understand, doc: where is the Rock´n´roll there? How can a Rock magazine do a TOP TEN Rock album list with that album at #1? It is so snob to praise that kind of studio work and, at the same time, to dismiss "true" Rock´n´roll. Even Nirvana´s "Unplugged" is a 100 times more Rock´n´Roll.

The "Comeback" 3 DVDs set is great but, to my point of view, the essential parts are both sit down shows. The perfect thing would be a 4 discs pack with both shows on CD and DVD (and a bonus CD with the dressing room rehearsals). No one can match that.