Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: She's Not You - Underated?

Wed May 02, 2007 11:35 pm

frus75 wrote:Doc hit it. Nothing more to add, except that this song has touches of dean martin style. You know, that style of making it sound simple is indeed a lost art. Elvis sang it so well that it seems easy, but in reality the control over his voice is amazingly perfect. Perfect review Doc.

Thank you so much for your kind words. They are appreciated.

Trust the doc!

She's not you

Thu May 03, 2007 1:07 am

I just had this song come over my ipod a couple of days ago and thought to myself how great of a song it is. Lyrically, it isn't all that complex yet it says so much. I agree with the earlier post that early 60's Elvis is way too underrated and i think elvis himself didn't appreciate some of the great songs he put out in the early part of the 1960s. Otherwise maybe he would have performed more of these songs live.

Re: She's not you

Thu May 03, 2007 1:17 am

TkoTzer wrote:I just had this song come over my ipod a couple of days ago ...

I hope no one was looking.

Thu May 03, 2007 3:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

:D :D :D

Mon May 07, 2007 6:18 pm

I too have always liked this song.

To me, somehow, it fits in with some other tunes which don't seem to be well-remembered Elvis recordings :

- Anything that's part of you
- Don't drag that string around
- Suspicion

and more .....

Sometimes I put on my car stereo when I'm driving cross-country and set my hard-disk to random play and it will come up with an Elvis track that I really dig, suddenly I kinda notice how great that specific song is ..... and I'll listen to it over and over again - happened very recently with SHE"S NOT YOU !

Mon May 14, 2007 2:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Johnny:

I didn't know you had this sort of humour in you! :shock:

Reading your more recent posts (as opposed to your normal posts always seem to be getting at me) I'm starting to warm to you :lol:

(My God - shoot me now! :wink: )

Very funny reply from you though, I must admit! :lol:

Mon May 14, 2007 2:16 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:
ColinB wrote:
thekingisalive wrote:Both "She’s Not You" and "Good Luck Charm" are vocal masterpieces by the King.
Nevertheless, it’s impossible for either one to be an answer to a coming Brit invasion.
You really should check out the meaning of the word answer in the dictionary, Kiwi.

I know what Alan means.

There was a massive Brit 'invasion' on the horizon.

Some catchy beat songs would soon hit the charts.

And by doing safe, smooth, unchallenging, bland, easy-listening, MOR things like She's Not You, which were more suited to Perry Como, a complacent Elvis was setting himself up for a big fall !

Thank you, Colin.

That is exactly what I meant.

These were not the songs one associate with the Elvis Presley...the Rebel...the King of Rock and Roll. These only illustated how far Elvis was from the current music scene...these were throwbacks to the Perry Como 50's. Sure they are pleasant and well sung and both are favorites of mine but they were "Elvis as we know it".

Still they are a link between the rockin' 50's and the final sell out from 1972.

I love this song as well as all his songs from this time period, how was Elvis supposed to know about the upcoming British invasion. Besides, the music scene had changed in the early sixties as opposed to the fifties.

Mon May 14, 2007 6:10 pm

Joe Car wrote:.........how was Elvis supposed to know about the upcoming British invasion.
Besides, the music scene had changed in the early sixties as opposed to the fifties.

He didn't.

My point was that his complacency made the effect of the new Brit challenge all the more potent when it did come.

Instead of being able to see it off with some punchy rock songs, he was caught with his pants down warbling & crooning like Perry Como.
Last edited by ColinB on Tue May 15, 2007 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 14, 2007 11:22 pm

ColinB wrote:Instead ... he was caught with his pants down warbling & crooning like Perry Como.

Since when was Perry Como known for crooning while bottomless?

Tue May 15, 2007 12:55 am

I take it you never went to one of his house parties, John? Oh my, the horror! :shock:

Per

Tue May 15, 2007 2:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:Instead ... he was caught with his pants down warbling & crooning like Perry Como.

LOL Nice One!!!

Tue May 15, 2007 2:17 am

woodleyjohn wrote:
Little Darlin wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

LOL Nice One!!!

See above.

Yes?

Tue May 15, 2007 4:04 pm

She's Not You is a little on the bland side for me, though nicely recorded and performed.
Rick

Tue May 15, 2007 4:18 pm

londonflash wrote:A classic slice of early sixties pop, yet you never hear it on the radio (even the oldies stations don't play it) and it's not one of those songs that gets much of a mention in books, accept perhaps when it's dammed with faint praise.

It made #1 in Britain (1962), but "only" #5 in the States.

Written by Pomus, Leiber and Stoller; quite a songwriting team!

Elvis' vocal is delightful (light and airy in some places, but he also gets to use his lower register) and the backing is exceptional, particularly Cramer's lovely piano work on the break.

Do you think "She is Not You" better then "Little Sister"?
LS was more underated then SINY in 60's I really don't remember LS's chart history but I guess it should be lower then SINY

Tue May 15, 2007 4:35 pm

Erhan
If I remember well, SHE´S NOT YOU was a US top#5 hit, just like LITTLE SISTER a year before. The big difference was that SHE´S NOT YOU was an A-Side and LITTLE SISTER a B one. (The A-Side was HIS LATEST FLAME and did #4. When you think about it HIS LATEST FLAME / LITTLE SISTER was a terrific single release, almost as good as DON´T BE CRUEL / HOUND DOG.)

Tue May 15, 2007 10:10 pm

jeanno wrote:Erhan
If I remember well, SHE´S NOT YOU was a US top#5 hit, just like LITTLE SISTER a year before. The big difference was that SHE´S NOT YOU was an A-Side and LITTLE SISTER a B one. (The A-Side was HIS LATEST FLAME and did #4. When you think about it HIS LATEST FLAME / LITTLE SISTER was a terrific single release, almost as good as DON´T BE CRUEL / HOUND DOG.)

HIS LATEST FLAME / LITTLE SISTER had to be very big NO1 but they were not so That's what I call them underated are you agree?

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: Elvis did bring "She's Not You" into rehearsals in 1973 and 1974, but it never made it into the set list, which is a shame. It would've been an excellent selection to revive.

Was this recorded? If so, where can it be found?

Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:01 pm

I remember buying this single in August 1962. The record shop in Tunbridge Wells had a complete window devoted to it, such was the power of Elvis at the time.

At the time of release I prefered the flip side 'Just Tell Her Jim Said Hello', thinking as others have mentioned that 'She's Not You' was a little bland. Also at the time, being only 17, I really wanted Elvis to keep rockin'. However over the years 'She's Not You' has become a firm favourite and I very much agree with Like The Bikes analysis of it.

His next single 'Return To Sender' one could say anticipated the return to beat music :)

Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:58 pm

to be honest I never liked this song....I can name 100 movie songs better than this one :wink:

Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Would you mind?

Thanks.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Very funny Doc!

::rocks

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:12 am

Like most of the other Elvis songs of this period, perhaps the best words to describe it would be "professional", "faultless" and "inoffensive". But I feel that, more often that not, Presley's best music rarely springs from him being professional, faultless and inoffensive.

Some of Presley's finest moments are not when he was at his most professional, working hard on his next song, but when he was letting his guard down and blowing off steam, or tackling a song that suddenly came into his head rather than the next demo on the pile that he was meant to be singing.

And Presley's style of singing didn't benefit all that much from being faultless. It was raw emotion that often carries Presley's best work, not pitch perfect singing and beautiful enunciation.

As for inoffensive, well it's difficult to hate She's Not You, but it's also easy to forget it's even playing. Presley's best work grabs you by the balls and makes you sit up and listen, or at least makes you have a reaction, even if that reaction is a bitter dislike for what you're hearing. She's Not You, Good Luck Charm and most other songs from this period are like aural wallpaper rather than songs that attract attention.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:32 am

After Tkozer bumped this thread i read the old comments from KiwiAlan and ColinB and i wanted to comment on the things they said.

My apologies for being 5 years late to the discussion but here goes.

The fans like KiwiAlan and Colin that wanted Elvis to sing rockers have you ever considered of blaming the songwriters instead of Elvis.
Why is Elvis always the sell out.

In the 1950s Leiber & Stoller wrote rock n' roll songs for Elvis like Jailhouse Rock, Trouble and King Creole.

Aaron Schroder co-wrote songs like I got stung and Big hunk o' love for Elvis.

In the early 60s they wrote She's not you and Good luck charm.

In 1957 Doc Pomus, Leiber & Stoller wrote ''Young Blood'' together which was a more upbeat song than ''She's not you''.

If Doc Pomus and Leiber & Stoller had written Elvis a rocker he probably would have recorded it.

You have to take into consideration the music scene in the United States in 1962 not in 1957 or 1964.

Breaking up is hard to do and Red roses my love were big hits at around the time Elvis released She's not you.

I say blame the songwriters if you don't like the material because Elvis recorded what they submitted to him.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:00 am

brian wrote:After Tkozer bumped this thread i read the old comments from KiwiAlan and ColinB and i wanted to comment on the things they said.

My apologies for being 5 years late to the discussion but here goes.

The fans like KiwiAlan and Colin that wanted Elvis to sing rockers have you ever considered of blaming the songwriters instead of Elvis.
Why is Elvis always the sell out.

In the 1950s Leiber & Stoller wrote rock n' roll songs for Elvis like Jailhouse Rock, Trouble and King Creole.

Aaron Schroder co-wrote songs like I got stung and Big hunk o' love for Elvis.

In the early 60s they wrote She's not you and Good luck charm.

In 1957 Doc Pomus, Leiber & Stoller wrote ''Young Blood'' together which was a more upbeat song than ''She's not you''.

If Doc Pomus and Leiber & Stoller had written Elvis a rocker he probably would have recorded it.

You have to take into consideration the music scene in the United States in 1962 not in 1957 or 1964.

Breaking up is hard to do and Red roses my love were big hits at around the time Elvis released She's not you.

I say blame the songwriters if you don't like the material because Elvis recorded what they submitted to him.

Elvis was the biggest star in the world at the time. He could have got the material he wanted, in the style he wanted. To blame his writers is a cop-out. If your writers don't supply you with the songs you want, then you look elsewhere. Quite clearly, as I have written in a different thread, Elvis was more interested in testing and experimenting with the sweeter tones that his voice had developed than he was in singing rockers. To Elvis at this point it appears to be all about sound rather than emotion.

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:25 am

poormadpeter wrote:Like most of the other Elvis songs of this period, perhaps the best words to describe it would be "professional", "faultless" and "inoffensive". But I feel that, more often that not, Presley's best music rarely springs from him being professional, faultless and inoffensive.

For the most part I agree. The 68 comeback is a prime example. Although the effort that went into it too had agreat deal of professionalism, he had that rawness that hadn't been seen in years. In that special and in his performances of the next couple years, the dynamic entertainer came through (ie faults and all).

She's not you isn't the greatest song in his catalog and many of you are correct, it is almost too polished (faultless and inoffensive). That being said, it's a nice little pop song that many of us can relate to lyrically. Why would he turn down a song from some of the greatest songwriters of all time.

Also, back to my original question. If he brought this to rehearse in the 70s, do we have audio of it.
Last edited by TkoTzer on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.