"Like A Baby" -- Operatic Blues?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Cryogenic
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by Cryogenic »

And he can sometimes mature surprisingly quickly: I hear a marked difference between 1969 and 1970 studio material, for example. 1971 is quite different to 1970. Then it sorta evens out for the next 3-4 years, but by the time we get to 1975, I hear another change. Then 1976 marked the turning of another corner. The trajectory is so pronounced at this point that comparing a 1976 recording to a 1970 recording almost sounds like a different singer! 1976 to 1969 is even more shocking. There is something about the ragged and stark voice of Elvis in the 70's, which became deeper and thicker, heavier and sadder, over time. He began as a sappling, with a voice almost impossibly high and sweet, but ended like a powerful oak. If oak trees could sing, they'd sound like the late great Elvis Presley.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
GERRY wrote:Has anyone else ever wondered what "In The Ghetto" would have sounded with Elvis voice of 1960 singing it?
No. A thirty-three year-old Elvis brings a world-weary quality to the January 1969 recording that a twenty-five year old could not possibly imagine.

And Mac Davis himself would never have written "In The Ghetto" -- a quiet song of protest against the injustice of poverty -- prior to the many changes rung in by some of the giants of 1960s music, from the bands of the British Invasion to the innovative songwriting of Bob Dylan.

That said, Elvis' vocals in the 1960-63 period are pristine in every style he tried -- in a word, unbeatable.
1962 is the one for me.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Cryogenic wrote:And he can sometimes mature surprisingly quickly: I hear a marked difference between 1969 and 1970 studio material, for example. 1971 is quite different to 1970. Then it sorta evens out for the next 3-4 years, but by the time we get to 1975, I hear another change. Then 1976 marked the turning of another corner. The trajectory is so pronounced at this point that comparing a 1976 recording to a 1970 recording almost sounds like a different singer! 1976 to 1969 is even more shocking. There is something about the ragged and stark voice of Elvis in the 70's, which became deeper and thicker, heavier and sadder, over time. He began as a sappling, with a voice almost impossibly high and sweet, but ended like a powerful oak. If oak trees could sing, they'd sound like the late great Elvis Presley.
A bigoak tree branch fell the day of the funeral when starting to head for cemetery. More than one source on that ..including Westmoreland book.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Cryogenic wrote:He began as a sappling, with a voice almost impossibly high and sweet, but ended like a powerful oak.
You have stretched your metaphors to the point of no return.

Or at least well beyond the edge of reality.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

dreambear
Registered for: 19 years

Post by dreambear »

Cryogenic wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
GERRY wrote:Has anyone else ever wondered what "In The Ghetto" would have sounded with Elvis voice of 1960 singing it?
No. A thirty-three year-old Elvis brings a world-weary quality to the January 1969 recording that a twenty-five year old could not possibly imagine.

And Mac Davis himself would never have written "In The Ghetto" -- a quiet song of protest against the injustice of poverty -- prior to the many changes rung in by some of the giants of 1960s music, from the bands of the British Invasion to the innovative songwriting of Bob Dylan.

That said, Elvis' vocals in the 1960-63 period are pristine in every style he tried -- in a word, unbeatable.
Perfect post, Doc.

(I'm still looking for someone to explore the lyrics and comment on those specific notes I highlighted and the singing overall, mind you.)

To drive your excellent point home a little more: can anyone imagine the 1960 Elvis singing "Suspicious Minds" or "Kentucky Rain"? Or "Wearin' That Loved On Look"? Geeze, Louise. The Memphis material was PERFECTLY chosen, just as the "Elvis Is Back" material was. They are brilliant complementary pairs: the double helix and musical DNA of Elvis Presley.
Well, almost perfect. Actually, Elvis was 34 years old when he recorded "In the ghetto".

//Björn

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

drjohncarpenter wrote:You have stretched your metaphors to the point of no return.
A stretched metaphor isn't worth a rubber band [metaphorically speaking].

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Scott Haigh 781990EP
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by Scott Haigh 781990EP »

Cryo, i completely agree with your assessment. It sounds like the exact approach he was trying to make, and it really adds an effect of drama to it. And yeah, that scat singing is not easy to do, never mind the rest of the song!

I'm like a stranger, like a stranger in my own hometown
My so called friends stopped being friendly, oh but you can't keep a good man down

http://www.myspace.com/musicprisoner

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

dreambear wrote:Well, almost perfect. Actually, Elvis was 34 years old when he recorded "In the ghetto".
Good catch. I was thinking "1968 TV Special" when I wrote that -- but, of course, Elvis turned 34 on January 8, 1969. It actually makes my case that much stronger.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!