Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

elvis smoking - the deal

Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:09 am

hi ,

i have read here on several post about elvis smoking and have read what lacker and the gang have wrote , this is what he smoked . elvis smoked alot more than people think , he smoked on a very regular basis . he was not a pack a day ciggertte smoker , but he did love cigars. iin the 50's and earley 60's elvis smoked hava tempa cigars with the wooden tip , he was just not photographed very often as they were afraid it would hurt his image and he got enough bad publicty anyway . his favorite was hava tempa untill the late 60's , he then switched to rum crooks , cruger villa's . in 1968 and 69 there is alot of picture's of him smoking the rum crooks and cruger villa's . then in the late 70's his cigar choice switched to roi tan's with the plastic tips . he was smoking them on to 1977 and was the last cigar he smoked . in 77 they said he stayed in his bedroom and smoked roi tan cigars one after another , the last cigar's to be removed from lisa marie plane were roi tan's . that were put there for elvis' next tour . he did smoke Tarryton ciggertte's on a very , very small basis in the 50's . he did not smoke a pack a day like lacker said , he favored cigars . there is alot of picture's from the 50's with him smoking the hava tempa cigar's but only one that i know of him smoking a ciggerette . red west has talked about this and also you can read about it in most of the books the memphis mafia wrote . hope this helps .

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:29 am

I have seen Lacker say on the Google newsgroup that he posts at -- if my memory isn't playing tricks -- that Elvis was smoking regularly from the 60's onwards. And yes: it was cigars.

Everything else is stuff I've either forgotten or never read.

I wonder if this could have had a corrosive effect on his voice? He started the 60's so softly and ended them with a very raw sound. Of course, natural ageing has something to do with it, but the change is still pretty dramatic.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:17 am

Cryogenic wrote: I wonder if this could have had a corrosive effect on his voice? He started the 60's so softly and ended them with a very raw sound. Of course, natural ageing has something to do with it, but the change is still pretty dramatic.

I should say so. Because Elvis was so talented and had such a great voice to begin with, the damage from smoking is evident. Some singers sound the same as when they first started out, but not Elvis. Part of it could be attributed to over-work, since he did tour alot.
Also playing vegas for a month at a time did not help his throat any either. The air is so dry it wears the vocal cords down. As a singer, Elvis should have went to great lengths to protect his "gift". He should have went to greater lengths to protect his health as well. But this is all in line with a person with destructive and addictive personalities.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:36 pm

I haven´t seen one photo yet of Elvis smoking a cigar after 1975.

//Björn

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:17 pm

Bjorn - now you have!

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/cigarvegas76.html

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/rain032676.html

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:22 pm

Interesting!
there is a photo of E smoking a regular cigarette on the day of HARUM SCARUM rocording session, 25.2.1965 .
he looked surprised when some fan took the photo 8)
Dont forget the only 2 movie he smoked: WILD IN THE COUNTRY, CHARRO ( if i can remember...)
P.S.
"I dont drink & i dont smoke, i like to go to the movies..." E 1956 :wink:
sincerely
LIOR

Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:28 pm

If he was a cigarette smoker...we would've heard the effects of it very quickly over the years. You don't inhale cigars right...so I guess it was obvious to Elvis which would be "safer" for him in terms of his lungs/vocal cords and singing.

Re: elvis smoking - the deal

Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:01 pm

elviscollector101 wrote:in the 50's and earley 60's elvis smoked hava tempa cigars with the wooden tip , he was just not photographed very often as they were afraid it would hurt his image and he got enough bad publicty anyway . his favorite was hava tempa untill the late 60's , he then switched to rum crooks , cruger villa's .

Actually, it's Hav-A-Tampa. I smoke them myself! :wink:

What is yout 10 stereotype absurd belief about Elvis?

Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:33 pm

natural ageing, natural ageing, natural ageing, natural ageing, natural ageing???????????

He was 42 years old what are you talking about. :roll:

Natural ageing efects age between 14-17 years old.
Voices don't chance when you get old naturaly only your bread capacity decrease after 65

Only unnatural ageing effect our voice. (smoking, illness, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease, bad voice forceing)

Just listen Other Singers little bit and talk about natural ageing.

We easly accept as "He did not move like he did in 50's because natural nwageing" or "his voice ageing or can't sing like 50's rock because he is 40 years old" we must turn our heads and look the real world.

I'm 43 years old my voice not going lower since 1978 or 79 I can move like when I'm 20 (if I was fit not fat).

break the stereotype ideas otherwise we become like freaks living our own narrow-minded world.

I 'm not talking about anyone particularly in this forum so please not do a self defends. I'm just doing self judgement. :smt070

this could be good topic in this forum.
What is yout 10 stereotype absurd belief about Elvis? :wink:

Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:49 pm

Elvis and the band was smoking hot on the night of July 31 1969 through most of the
shows in August .

Elvis was smoking hot during the same engagement in August 1970.

Elvis was smoking hot in at Madison Square Gardens, June '72.

Elvis was smoking hot at the honolulu civic center (i.e Aloha from Hawaii)
January '73.

Elvis was smoking hot at the Richmond Virginia gig in March 16 1974
(as per guarenteed to blow your mind).

Elvis was smoking hot at Uniondale, July 75 gig.

and finally, particularly, He was smoking hot at the Pitsburgh New Years eve
show, December 31 1976!

Oh how i wish that the persons who own the soundboard of Pitsburgh and are perhaps shrewdly
holding off until they get paid an exorbitant fee from B.M.G for the licensing of it, would come to the senses.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:00 pm

i forgot one-

Elvis was smoking hot at the civic center in birmingham
on december 29, 1976.
Actually it could make for a nice FTD if better sound sources
exist and can be restored.

Burning in Birmingham indeed!

Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:40 pm

Exactly.

And people's voices DO change over time. James Taylor sounds a LOT different now. But Elvis' seemed to change MORE QUICKLY than an average singer's -- but that might be because Elvis was no "average" singer. So I'm curious as to whether smoking itself had any effect, particularly as, has been pointed out, one does not typically inhale cigar smoke. There are lots of variables here.

I take offence at your stupid post, Erhan. I'm one of the last people on this board to coddle myself with fantasies; the very fact I posed the question means I am looking for answers. You'd do well to remember that.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:04 pm

I'm not sure its true that "you don't inhale cigar smoke" - I myself smoke little Henri Winterman cigarillos when I'm out and about and a pipe when I'm in my house. I shallowly inhale both. If he started on cigarettes its perhaps likely he did the same - as tobacco addiction does "depend" on that little kick at the back of the throat.

Re. his voice: a smoker's voice will be different after s/he wakes up compared to later in the day harder to hit the higher notes earlier. Was wondering then if any knows of any signifigant differences in E's singing between Afternoon and Evening shows ~ I suppose a comparisson of some shows from the same day would help, but I have't enough (if any!) yet to tell.

Another factor, I think, would also be how Elvis "trained" his voice, seems to be a running theme in the 70's as they progressed that he wanted his voice to be able to reach either extreme of the vocal scale. I know he and JD had that running joke but in the joke Elvis is trying hard to get lower. I think too he "competed" or tried to emulate Sherrill Nielsen with developing his falsetto singing further. Such exercises would have effected the vocal chords like anyother muscle.

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:15 pm

Elvis_Priestly wrote:I'm not sure its true that "you don't inhale cigar smoke"

It is your personal choice to inhale cigar smoke I guess, but conaisseurs usually don't. it is not the manufacturers intention that their cigars should be inhaled, because the aroma of a good cigar is supposed to deploy on the tongue of the smoker.