Love Me Love The Life I Lead

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Post by Guest »

Geez arse....... it's a tough crowd.

Cryo, I think (singing coaches among us excluded) will agree, that the 'straining' on EP's vocal is more to do with emotion and less to do with ability.
If all performers were judged by vocal ability alone, then Bob Dylan would still be clapping hands behind Bobby Vee.

sam
Registered for: 21 years

Post by sam »

I think he just sang the songs the way he wanted to...they sound great to me!!!

(taking off my Rose Coloured hearing aid now) :wink:

8)

sam

Post by sam »

:wink:

:lol:

8)

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Lew Nyack wrote: If all performers were judged by vocal ability alone, then Bob Dylan would still be clapping hands behind Bobby Vee.
An interesting comparison. It is Bob Dylan’s ability penning songs that has made his legend, not so much his voice which whilst certainly unique, is very much an acquired taste and I question that he would have stood a chance in the music business without his gift for quality lyrics. Elvis on the other hand was a singer through and through, he didn’t write music. Hs voice was his primary asset and therefore this is a reasonable area to critique.

ClintReno

Post by ClintReno »

Seems to me, if people derive enjoyment from a recording, that in itself is enough to justify it's existence.

Isn't that, afterall, fundamentaly why people make music in the first place, to create something people enjoy listening to. If so, with regards to 'Love Me, Love The Life I Lead', mission accomplished, Elvis !

That some do not derive any enjoyment from the same recording does not negate it's relevance to those that can.

Personally I find the vocals to be impassioned, if others don't, I'm not about to try and convince you otherwise.

official member of the Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

Cryogenic wrote:Elvis literally reaches for certain notes as if exhausted by his own sense of desperation and desolation.
In this case though, I don't think it's a case of singing with intentional despair in his voice. Elvis was well capable of matching his vocal style to the song and did so with tremendous results on numerous recordings. With this recording I think he's simply out of voice though and isn't cutting it, as is the case with a few of the 1971 recordings. The guy didn't want to be in the studio and it shows.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

ClintReno wrote:Seems to me, if people derive enjoyment from a recording, that in itself is enough to justify it's existence.

Isn't that, afterall, fundamentaly why people make music in the first place, to create something people enjoy listening to. If so, with regards to 'Love Me, Love The Life I Lead', mission accomplished, Elvis !
In this case Elvis himself didn't feel he accomplished his mission hence abandoning the song.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Matthew wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:People act like things are so clear cut in the Elvis World.

They're not.

Elvis REALLY strains for some of those notes in "Any Day Now". He sounds very juvenile. Just because the material is stronger, with a great band and a great singer in a great mood, people think it's infallible. But listen to: "I know I shouldn't want to keep you ... if you DOOONNN'T WANT TO STAAAAAAY". He is really reaching there. There are other instances, too. It's a shame that the Internet is dominated by dogma and idiots with pithy comebacks lacking substance, but it's one of many sad facts of life.
To compare Elvis' vocal control in early 1969 when he had flu but still manages to sing with genuine passion and applies himself with dedication to that of his 1971 vocal ability where he is singing a song that is beyond his technical control (at this time), is generally going through the motions and in the end he himself abandons is flawed.
Cold,flu or whatever...if it wasn't for Chips riding EP's ass some songs in 69 would have been abandoned as well. In 71 EP had no pressure to just say F... it! Ps. good editing by Chips as there are a few constructed Masters in the sense never finished in 1 take and thats why maybe not performed live..

ClintReno

Post by ClintReno »

Matthew wrote:In this case Elvis himself didn't feel he accomplished his mission hence abandoning the song.
Even so, people (it seems from this and previous topics of a similar nature) do enjoy listening to it, myself included. Plus who knows what Elvis' own opinion of the recording would have been at a later date ?

official member of the Harum Scarum Soundtrack Appreciation Society

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

ClintReno wrote:Plus who knows what Elvis' own opinion of the recording would have been at a later date ?
You're right. He might have gone from simply telling Felton to keep it in the vault to giving it another listen, and taking the master tape and drilling it full of bullet holes.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

Well, let's face it: the man could sing the phone book and today we'd want the outtakes of it. :lol:

Compared to his '60s movie lowlights ("Yoga Is As Yoga Does")," I don't begrudge his most morose '70s sides. I can see how Ernst left this off the '70s box, though.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

samses
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by samses »

Love me. love the life... was definately sung in a too high key. If Elvis had mattered, he would have brought it down on or two steps, then his vocal would have been just fine. Still I don´t think the song is good, even though it is far from his worst. These sessions were not good compared to the ones in -69 or -70, but apparently E wanted to sing in a high key, because It's only love was also sung in a very high key, but not too high.

As far as Do you know how I am, Elvis was ill and it can be heard.

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

Dan_T wrote:
Cryogenic wrote: But listen to: "I know I shouldn't want to keep you ... if you DOOONNN'T WANT TO STAAAAAAY". He is really reaching there.

my fav bit in this song. :lol:

bajo

Post by bajo »

With all due respect to Elvis, who abandoned a lot of songs he tried out.
Some of which were released through his lifetime. Some released in the aftermath of his death to please the fans.
Love Me, Love The Life I Lead is one of the songs I hardly ever play.
I've almost forgotten about it, until now!
One can easily understand why Elvis didn't want this released!
He simply didn't "hit" it!
I think a song like It's Different Now somehow file under the same. He tried it and abandoned it!
One may like these songs or not. I don't care much for Love Me, Love...
But, I think I would have accepted It's Different Now, if ever finished.

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Rob

Post by Rob »

Matthew wrote:"If you wanna love me, love the way I strain, the notes, ooouuuuttttt of this sooonggg. If you wanna listen, cover up your ears, I can't sing another note, I can't be free, with the voice I use, with the voice I use"
You're over-doing it....just a tad.

Not my favorite song by any stretch of the imagination. However, I'd listen to it 100 times before I'd listen to "Hey Jude" again.

Post by Guest »

Matthew:
To compare Elvis' vocal control in early 1969 when he had flu but still manages to sing with genuine passion and applies himself with dedication to that of his 1971 vocal ability where he is singing a song that is beyond his technical control (at this time), is generally going through the motions and in the end he himself abandons is flawed.
Rob:
However, I'd listen to it 100 times before I'd listen to "Hey Jude" again.
Well said Rob.
:wink:

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Rob wrote:
Matthew wrote:"If you wanna love me, love the way I strain, the notes, ooouuuuttttt of this sooonggg. If you wanna listen, cover up your ears, I can't sing another note, I can't be free, with the voice I use, with the voice I use"
You're over-doing it....just a tad.

Not my favorite song by any stretch of the imagination. However, I'd listen to it 100 times before I'd listen to "Hey Jude" again.
..another song that Elvis abandoned. But you are correct, his performance of "Love Me, Love The Life I Lead" outshines his performance of "Hey Jude" by a mile.

bajo

Post by bajo »

Spot on Shane!
There were so many obvious choices other than what appeared on "Elvis" in '73!
Both this one and "Elvis Now" could have been so much more! Still have to admit that I liked the Now album though!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Xaykev
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by Xaykev »

I simply cannot understand how people can write that Elvis is singing off-key. To me Elvis has the same cool voice like in '69.
To my ears he is reaching the tones with no problems, but he was just singing the song with passion. And if you don't like the song, that's your problem, not mine...I really dig that song.

samses

Post by samses »

Xaykev wrote:I simply cannot understand how people can write that Elvis is singing off-key. To me Elvis has the same cool voice like in '69.
To my ears he is reaching the tones with no problems, but he was just singing the song with passion. And if you don't like the song, that's your problem, not mine...I really dig that song.
He was off key sometimes in Do you know who I am. It is obvious. This was probably because he had a sore throat and/or the song was played in the wrong key. He was off key in some parts of the TTWII version of Bridge also, but that's nothing strange. All singers sing off key sometimes and Elvis was no exception even though he was a fantastic singer with a fantastic voice.

Post by Guest »

Matthew wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote: If all performers were judged by vocal ability alone, then Bob Dylan would still be clapping hands behind Bobby Vee.
An interesting comparison. It is Bob Dylan’s ability penning songs that has made his legend, not so much his voice which whilst certainly unique, is very much an acquired taste and I question that he would have stood a chance in the music business without his gift for quality lyrics. Elvis on the other hand was a singer through and through, he didn’t write music. Hs voice was his primary asset and therefore this is a reasonable area to critique.
As you point out, Elvis was no songwriter and whilst it reasonable to critique his voice, or any other singers voice for that matter, the technical aspects of the vocals are of little consequence, to me. I place a lot more emphasis on the interpretation of the material ie, is the song delivered with commitment and passion, does the arrangement work, are the musicians in the groove.
The fact that EP made at least 12 takes, says to me that he must have thought the song had some merit.
Whether or not Elvis wanted this recording released or not is pure speculation, as far as I am aware, it was Felton who was hoping that Elvis would redo the vocal later, not Elvis.

Post by Guest »

shanebrown wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote: The fact that EP made at least 12 takes, says to me that he must have thought the song had some merit.
Whether or not Elvis wanted this recording released or not is pure speculation, as far as I am aware, it was Felton who was hoping that Elvis would redo the vocal later, not Elvis.
According to jorgensen's book, Elvis abandoned the song because it he had no voice left and Jarvis hoped to redo the vocal at some point to make it releaseable. The retake wasn't done but the song was released - and it was Jarvis that chose it for release. Go figure!
The way I figure it shane, is that the Executive Producer of the "Elvis" album was Elvis Presley.

Liverbobs
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Liverbobs »

If all performers were judged by vocal ability alone, then Bob Dylan would still be clapping hands behind Bobby Vee.

LOL! Quote of the month! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Post by Guest »

Liverbobs wrote:If all performers were judged by vocal ability alone, then Bob Dylan would still be clapping hands behind Bobby Vee.

LOL! Quote of the month! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Bob.......where do I collect my prize??? :lol:

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

shanebrown wrote:
Lew Nyack wrote: The fact that EP made at least 12 takes, says to me that he must have thought the song had some merit.
According to jorgensen's book, Elvis abandoned the song because it he had no voice left and Jarvis hoped to redo the vocal at some point to make it releaseable. The retake wasn't done but the song was released - and it was Jarvis that chose it for release. Go figure!
As much as I love Elvis, he relied on other people way too much, thus things that he did not want released, eventually did. You also bring up a good point Shane about Elvis having no voice left, I'm sure he knew whether he could go on further or not.