Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MysteryTrain
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Elvis At The Movies (Corrections)

Post by MysteryTrain »

Since BMG (Australia) states that the cover art and track listing on "Elvis At The Movies" is not final, I make the following suggestions:

"No More" instead of "Rock-A-Hula Baby"; "Angel" instead of "Follow That Dream" (particularly if an outtake is contemplated to present this song in stereo); "Puppet On A Sting" instead of "Do The Clam"; "So Close, Yet So Far (From Paradise)" instead of "Shake That Tambourine"; "Please Don't Stop Loving Me" instead of "Frankie And Johnny"; "Sing You Children" instead of "The Love Machine"; and "The Girl I Never Loved" or "You Don't Know Me" instead of "Clambake."

I'm sure others have other suggestions.

Mystery Train

bajo

Post by bajo »

Mystery Train!
With all due respect, I would suggest that BMG/SONY abandon this project!
Even so, I have no problem with your alterations, except for one: And that is You Don't Know Me, if you intended the movie version.

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Rob

Post by Rob »

bajo wrote:I would suggest that BMG/SONY abandon this project!
That's the best suggestion I've heard all week.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I don't understand the logic behind the "Movies" release. Here we have 2 CDs with 40 songs. You can still buy Command Performances in some stores and definitely on the Internet. 2 CDs 62 songs. Sure the tracklistings are different and there will always be disagreement about what should and shouldn't be included, but why buy 40 songs when you can have 62? Unless you need the '50s songs. But most fans as well as Joe Public would already have those on E1, E2 or some other "Hits" comp.

Perhaps the sound improvement on this set will be vastly improved or MAYBE this set will be specially priced? At any rate it will be interesting to see how this set sells (assuming it's released).

Personally, I'm sticking with "Command Performances."

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by minkahed »

JerryNodak wrote:I don't understand the logic behind the "Movies" release. Here we have 2 CDs with 40 songs. You can still buy Command Performances in some stores and definitely on the Internet. 2 CDs 62 songs. Sure the tracklistings are different and there will always be disagreement about what should and shouldn't be included, but why buy 40 songs when you can have 62? Unless you need the '50s songs. But most fans as well as Joe Public would already have those on E1, E2 or some other "Hits" comp.

Perhaps the sound improvement on this set will be vastly improved or MAYBE this set will be specially priced? At any rate it will be interesting to see how this set sells (assuming it's released).

Personally, I'm sticking with "Command Performances."
I agree Jerry, 62 songs over 2 cd's is definitely a great bargain, but then again, the track selection is highly subjective to each fan/listener ...

To this day, I'm still a bit disappointed with the majority of the songs they chose for that Command Performances set.

I guess the logic behind this supposed new At The MOVIES release is a tie in with the supposed upcoming DVD campaign this summer, so maybe it's not such a bad thing ...

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Minkahed: Yeah, I forgot about the tie in with the DVD releases. Then too, there's the old statement "We gotta have new product (really just repackaged old product) to get it on store shelves."

I was disappointed with some of the selections on "Command Performance," but not the majority. As you say tracklistings are subjective to each fan's individual preferences.

The only way to get a "perfect" movie song collections would be to burn a CDR(s) of one's personal favororites.

ritchie valens
Banned for Political Trolling
Banned for Political Trolling
Registered for: 18 years 11 months

Post by ritchie valens »

let me-from love me tender
party
hot dog
lonesome cowboy
from loving you
young and beautiful
treat me nice movie version
from jailhouse rock
dixieland rock
new orleans
as long as i have you from king creole
doing the best i can
pocketful of rainbows
tonight is so right for love
from g.i. blues
summer kisses winter tears
from flaming star
i slipped i stumbled i fell
in my way
from wild in the country
almost always true
no more
hawaiian wedding song
from blue hawaii
angel
from follow that dream

king of the whole wide world-unedited master
from kid galahad
because of love

i don't wanna be tied
from girls girls girls
beyond the bend
happy ending
from it happened at the worlds fair
i think i'm gonna like it here
from fun in acapulco
catchin on fast
one boy two little girls
from kissin cousins
c'mon everybody
you're the boss
night life
from viva las vegas
hard knocks
one track heart
from roustabout
puppet on a string
i've got to find my baby
from girl happy
hey little girl
from harem scarum
shout it out
from frankie and johnny
never say yes
stop,look and listen
from spinout
i'll take love
from easy come easy go
long legged girl
city by night
from double trouble
the girl i never loved
from clambake
let yourself go
from speedway
wonderful world
live a little love a little
let us pray
have a happy
from change of habit
the ultimate movie set without the ignorant songs

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The beauty of Command Performances is that it focuses purly on the 1960s movie recordings. A lpt pf the 50s movie recordings are rock 'n' roll classics in their own right and really are better off separate from the 1960s movie recordings.

bajo

Post by bajo »

Agreed on that one Matthew!
I somehow never file the 50's soundtracks under same same as the 60's soundtracks. They're worlds apart!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by likethebike »

This release to me is one of the first decent attempts that the label has taken in recent years. The song listing is not perfect and the need to hit every single movie especially weakens it. However, most of these songs are not on E1 or E2. And frankly a well chosen release like this is a necessary corrective for the public perception that all Elvis' movie stuff is crap.

While many of Elvis' 50 movies tracks are indeed rock n' soul classics, many of his '60s movie cuts are classics or deserve to be- "Can't Help Falling in Love", "Viva Las Vegas", "Return to Sender", "King of the Whole Wide World", "I Need Somebody to Lean On", "Let Yourself Go", "What'd I Say", the studio "You Don't Know Me", the woefully underrated "In My Way", "They Remind Me Too Much of You", "Clean Up Your Own Backyard" etc. There are a whole second group of lesser but still quality songs that deserve attention as well including "Home is Where the Heart Is", "Little Egypt", "Angel" which contains some of the most gorgeous singing Elvis ever did, "Bossa Nova Baby", "Please Don't Stop Loving Me", "Follow That Dream", "Marguerita", "Doing the Best I Can", "Spinout", "Stop Look and Listen" and "I'll Be Back". The latter three tracks from Spinout are three tracks that definitely could open some times with their swaggering toughness coming at a time when Elvis was supposed to be painting by the numbers. Attractive packaging and notes could do a lot to add sheen on these already fine numbers.

The previous title songs release was a half assed joke.

While Command Performances may be still available in some outlets, it's still not widely available.

One of the biggest gaffes of BMG in this decade is the fact that they have hamstrung themselves from any interest in Elvis' movies playing on TV or on DVD. If you want a souvenir of the mega popular Viva Las Vegas you're out of luck unless you want to search out the FTD label and then shell out $40 for it. At least, a widely available mainstream movie compilation will give fans a chance to at least hear some of the songs they hear on television and if it succeeds in getting mostly the good ones, so much the better.

TONY

COMPILATION

Post by TONY »

This release will be a waste of space!!! I already made up my own 60's movie compilation double CD set and have 75 songs on it!!