Elvis In Person vinyl 1969 do we have the complete show ?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

The Beatles rocked pretty hard at the beginning and then made studio recording an art form. The Hollywood Bowl shows are an example of how tight (as a band) they were......playing without being able to hear themselves. And thats that! :)

KingOfTheJungle
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by KingOfTheJungle »

Doc,
I've heard alot of the Beatles earlier live stuff-not terribly impressed. Without the strength of their studio albums, they would'nt have made it in America.

King Of The Jungle

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

We're getting into subjective territory, but suffice it to say that generally (whether one agrees or not) the Beatles have not been sleighted as being a rock band that couldn't cook live. They paid some dues in little clubs and then big arenas, if you could hear over the chicks.

Now can we get back to that '69 Elvis album? :lol:

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

bajo

Post by bajo »

I for one playled the hell out of Johnny B. Goode, I Can't Stop Loving You, My Babe and Mystery Train/Tiger Man. I recall friends of mine who had left the Elvis wagon for Creedence and Led Zeppelin was very surprised to hear Elvis this way in the songs mentioned!!
And some of them could not get enough of James' solo on Mystery and the drums on there!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:Even EMI/Capitol were too afraid to produce a live Beatles.
Afraid? No. The recordings made at the Hollywood Bowl in 1964 and 1965 were considered unreleasable because of the non-stop screaming throughout their set. In 1976, George Martin was asked to revisit these tapes and see if an album could be compiled, somehow -- he did, and Live At The Hollywood Bowl shot to #1 in the summer of 1977, selling millions of copies. It's a great live LP, of course.
Semantics semantics! EMI/CAPITOL had countless chances to produce a live BEATLES album..they chose not to while the band was together.

The Hollywood Bowl was not the only venue they played.

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Gregory Nolan Jr.

bajo wrote:I for one played the hell out of Johnny B. Goode, I Can't Stop Loving You, My Babe and Mystery Train/Tiger Man. I recall friends of mine who had left the Elvis wagon for Creedence and Led Zeppelin was very surprised to hear Elvis this way in the songs mentioned!!
And some of them could not get enough of James' solo on Mystery and the drums on there!

Yes, what rocking stuff! Who was the band member who described this '69 Vegas stuff as sort of "punk lounge"? Something like that?

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Image
bajo wrote:I for one played the hell out of Johnny B. Goode, I Can't Stop Loving You, My Babe and Mystery Train/Tiger Man. I recall friends of mine who had left the Elvis wagon for Creedence and Led Zeppelin was very surprised to hear Elvis this way in the songs mentioned!!

Yes, what rocking stuff! Who was the band member who described this '69 Vegas stuff as sort of "punk lounge"? Something like that?

I'm thinking John Fogerty said that, though I could be wrong. I think those people would have gotten a huge wakeup call had they shared the stage with EP of 69, does the term getting blown off the stage sound familiar!

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Greg, the description of the '69 live show as "punk-rock lounge music" came from Jerry Scheff.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

KiwiAlan wrote: Semantics semantics! EMI/CAPITOL had countless chances to produce a live BEATLES album..they chose not to while the band was together.
I suspect if The Beatles themselves had wanted to produce a live album when they were together, they would have done.

sam

Post by sam »

Matthew wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote: Semantics semantics! EMI/CAPITOL had countless chances to produce a live BEATLES album..they chose not to while the band was together.
I suspect if The Beatles themselves had wanted to produce a live album when they were together, they would have done.
Not knowing a lot about the fabukous 4, I thought "Let It Be" was going to be that sort of live album (rooftop)but it changed direction a bit. I could be wrong, in fact I could be very wrong!!!
Right Doc. :wink:

8)

thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

The Beatles is a great band, but they are also overrated. Take the album Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, for instance. What’s so great about it? I’ve listened to the album twice and walking away with a headache both times. I suspect it is so revered because of the title track and the unforgettable "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". Wow, what a song title! No doubt the album must be the best ever then, right? This is typical artsy-fartsy BS thinking.

Anyway, their stab at ’50s rock ‘n‘ roll is pathetic. They could not sing Elvis songs and get away with it, but Elvis could sing Beatle songs and hold his own quite well; with "Something" from 1970, he even surpasses the Beatles version.

And what’s up with the notion that the Beatles is a rock band? They never were. They are a pop band.

Per

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Off-topic and beaten-to-death subject....Sorry, Per.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

I know, Gregory, but several people started talking about the boys from Liverpool, so I decided to add my two cents. Should be enough for, what, a ticket to Abbey Road? :lol:

Per

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Right.... :lol:

Although I respect their position in music and have enjoyed their music over the years, I also find it refreshing to hear some opposing views.

That said, we should have a permanent ('sticky') thread about the Beatles and also "EIC should be released on DVD"... :lol:

Per, what do you think of "Elvis In Person" or "From Memphis to Vegas.." :?:

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

I love In Person but prefer the three complete live concerts from this year. The In Person mix is good but the sound is not that hot.

You know, I had that double album on CD. I bought it in ’97 in Oslo, Norway. Haven’t seen it since. I was stupid enough to sell it one time I needed the cash real bad. That album was great.

Per

Gregory Nolan Jr.

But the music (the content) of "In Person" is outrageously good. It's almost too much, and yes, "punk," which is to say, well, "rock'n'roll."

I didn't realize the 2-LP "From Memphis To Vegas, From Vegas to Memphis" ever made it to CD.

I'm happy with my original LP set, though.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Greg: I wasn't aware of that either. I've got both parts on cd, but as separate albums.

thekingisalive

Post by thekingisalive »

I agree, Greg. If I really wanna blow someone away, this is the album I put on. Then I crank up the volume and hope the neighbors won’t call the police. :lol:

Per

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

"Well I try to think of a special song for tonight...you know a special song that really says something...you know a message song.
Oh, I came up with it..
I looked her square in the eye..cause that was all she had..this one big square eye in the middle of her.
I said baby, baby..you know she was weird, too..
It was a very tender touching moment..
And I said baby, baby..

YOU Ain`t Nothing But A Hound Dog."

This intro to Hound Dog blew me away when I heard this LP for the first time...and it still does..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Same here, although now it's mostly annoying and scares the hell out of 'em. When you're married with kids, that's just disturbing to play in the house. :oops: But it totally rocks.

ImageImage
On the Edge of Reality