Must the FTD label release dvd's?

yes !
85%
no way!
15%

Total votes : 39

Should the FTD label release dvd's?

Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:49 pm

What do you think? should they release dvd's? And what do you like to see first on dvd?
hope to hear from you all!

Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:57 pm

Hell YES....What should be first? The first one they can print and ship! Then print & ship the rest of the stuff! NOOOOOWWWWW!!!

Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:45 pm

One simple answer: YES!!! :D

Re: Should the FTD label release dvd's?

Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:08 am

patrick wrote: should they release dvd's?

DVDs of what exactly ? BMG don't own the rights to film footage in the same way that they do for audio recordings.

Chris

Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:05 am

You mean theres people who don't want FTD DVD's? As near complete concerts from TTWII and On Tour as is possible to edit together -no compilations or selected highlights.

Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:10 am

Thats probably true about them not owning or not being able to afford the rights to release the commercially shot footage. Even if it were a case of buying up the best fan shot footage and doing a remastering job using the best audio source material - I'd still want to see FTD DVDs. Maybe its not too realistic to expect that however.

Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:17 am

What rights do people have to distribute BOOTLEG performances? If you video tape Elvis and distribute then that goes against the RCA copyrights!! Of course RCA/FTD could distribute a DVD. They just pay the owner and then make a fortune. Just like they did with cd's. We could get some really cool stuff!! What I want to know is WHO ARE THE MORONS THAT VOTED AGAINST IT!!!! I mean seriously, what is wrong with seeing more images of the KING. I am sure there are some AWESOME quality bootlegs of his performances. I thought diehard PRESLEY fans want it all!!

Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:41 pm

I voted yes. I would love to see more Elvis DVDs.
But Ernst has said they don't have the budget to do DVDs. :cry:

:cry:

Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:52 pm

Would be great. But making a dvd is to expensive and BMG don't have the rights to video material. Maybe they can work something out in the future.

I would love to see more on stage material from Elvis.

Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:06 pm

Too expensive? I don't need to best-of-the-best remastered footage, or multi-angle stuff, or even Dolby Digital sound.... Just release the stuff that has been recorded, but never released fully....

Give us the complete Rapid City, give us the complete Omaha, all shows recorded for On Tour, and TTWII, give us some '68 outtakes, give us movie bloopers, release the backstage stuff from On tour, The soundchecks for the Aloha, the rehearsels for TTWII, and so on....

Remember: by selling the FTD CDs/DVDs by fanclubs (instead of regular shops), FTD manages to keep the profitmargin way higher than normal.

One advise to everybody: just keep buying all released FTD's and the DVD's will follow (one day their vault will be empty)

Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:11 pm

genesim wrote:If you video tape Elvis and distribute then that goes against the RCA copyrights!!

Actually, you are wrong. Only the copyright to the audio is owned by BMG. The video rights are owned by whoever did the filming. This is why TWII & EOT footage is owned by the film studios and is unlikely to see a release on a BMG-owned label (i.e. FTD).

Chris

Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:20 pm

Just out of interest - whos voting NO they don't want to see FTD DVDs and why? Is it about the issue of rights?

Like I said if the professionally shot material is too expensive to produce on DVD what about the best fan shot footage remastered with the best audio source material?

If they can release an audience recorded concert on CD recording what would be wrong with a video of the concert where there is really good footage available? Or would EPE be an obstacle?

Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:38 pm

I don't think so ChrisM. Whoever is selling bootlegs that have not been aproved by BMG is breaking copyright laws. They own the music and the image, so they can prosecute. This is a given. All movies had to be aproved by Elvis. This is why there were contracts. Now that Elvis is dead and the copyrights have been sold back to RCA then they have control. You are damn skipping that it is a breaking of copyright laws if you duplicate or distribute the movies for sale. Furthermore, even owning them does the same. Though BMG/RCA can cut a deal to own the footage and release it. The only reason that most bootleggers don't get taken out, is because it cost too much money compared to what is gained. For FTD there is a reason.

Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:41 pm

Yeah not to mention EPE. My mistake, they own the image, so it would probably have to to be a joint venture. But recording Elvis was and is still illegal(for the Elvis in Concert). Unless one could prove that cameras were fine. That doesn't protect distribution!